Gerrard Pique

Livvie...Rio plays more as a sweeper than a classic CB...I've mentioned this before...he actually chooses to play the ball....

he is superb imo....one of the best in that position ever..actually I think he is the best since Bobby Moore....

Livvie...Rio plays more as a sweeper than a classic CB...I've mentioned this before...he actually chooses to play the ball....

he is superb imo....one of the best in that position ever..actually I think he is the best since Bobby Moore....

Fair enough - I think he plays the ball really well.

It isn't something I want to argue about, because it's just my own feeling..I can't put my hand on my heart and say I'm right, because it is just a feeling I have, and I can't change that unfortunately.

I prefer solid defenders who get stuck in, like Vidic or Stam. Maybe that's the problem.

I'll support Rio 100% though.

If it was up to Liv, we'd play a bunch of meatheads, and Solskjaer.

Because Rio is a very different type of CB to what we've been used to in the past, growing up and even now there is hardly any like him - some football fans may struggle to know what to make of him - how to measure him - his contributions defensively (even that maybe an issue for those who are accustomed to tough tackling no frills CB that is common in the English game) and his overall game.

If it was up to Liv, we'd play a bunch of meatheads, and Solskjaer.

If you're going to try and be funny, make it factual.

I've already said that if everyone is fit, I wouldn't play Ole from the start.

And if by meatheads you mean players with grit like Stam and Vidic, well maybe I would. In defence.

I think our most solid defender is Vidic.

Never felt convinced by Rio. I know I'm in a minority, but he makes me nervous. He's had some great games, I know that, but he's had some bad ones too, and done things that a top quality defender shouldn't.

He never gets really stuck in imo.

On Saturday, he didn't look when he back passed. For Matt Taylor's goal he wasn't tight enough on him.

Everyone has a bad game I know, but time after time Rio doesn't mark people tight enough. Other aspects of his game are good, but he often seems that he doesn't want to get close up and personal.

I don't care if I'm wrong...I'd prefer to be. I'm not slagging him for the sake of it - I just don't feel inspired by him.

Someone like Vidic needs someone like Rio to do well and viceversa.

I don't like Rio.

There, I've said it.

I never feel particularly confident about him. Quite happy to be proved wrong mind, but a lot of times he seems lazy, and he bottles going in for a challenge too often.

happy to be proved wrong? he's been here for 5 years ffs. and he is ace. if pique or evans reach 90 pst of his ability i'll be very happy. but then i'm one of very few caf realists

happy to be proved wrong? he's been here for 5 years ffs. and he is ace. if pique or evans reach 90 pst of his ability i'll be very happy. but then i'm one of very few caf realists

I don't mean "proved" as much as "be".

Just my opinion...can't make myself feel differently. I've not said I'm right.

So, basically, Rio is lazy and crap because he isn't?

Stunning.

No, that's not what I said.

I said that it's my opinion that he can be lazy and doesn't get stuck in. I will try harder to insist that my opinion is the only one that matters if it makes you happier. Normally I try to accept that just because I believe something, it doesn't make it so. I'm sure it's better that way because then everyone can have a fecking good argument.

I always got the impression they weren't too pissed off about getting rid of Fabregas because of the rising of Iniesta.
Starting to look like a monumental feck up now though.....

They were furious about it, were gonna report us to FIFA and take us to court IIRC. In the end we had to pay them like £2.5mill and give Gio at a very reduced price to patch things over

seeing as this thread is about Pique...anyone think he can develop into another Rio? Pique and Evans....the future CBs??

Next time, read through the other posts before asking such a question mate. But yes, as a few have said, he is like Rio, and may well, along with Evans, form our future CB pairing.

Rio is so damn underrated despite his huge transfer fee.. People thinks that Rio is unsteady, but on the contrary, i think he's superb and the reason why Vidic has been playing so well.. I just find it really difficult to find a centreback with his attributes, ie pace, heading, passing, dribbling etc... In fact, i don't think there is any centreback better than Rio, when it comes to facing a oncoming striker one to one.. I think Rio's superb when dealing with strikers one to one, unlike most centrebacks who lack the pace, reading ability and those who possesses the turning radius of a truck.

I think our most solid defender is Vidic.

Never felt convinced by Rio. I know I'm in a minority, but he makes me nervous. He's had some great games, I know that, but he's had some bad ones too, and done things that a top quality defender shouldn't.

He never gets really stuck in imo.

On Saturday, he didn't look when he back passed. For Matt Taylor's goal he wasn't tight enough on him.

Everyone has a bad game I know, but time after time Rio doesn't mark people tight enough. Other aspects of his game are good, but he often seems that he doesn't want to get close up and personal.

I don't care if I'm wrong...I'd prefer to be. I'm not slagging him for the sake of it - I just don't feel inspired by him.

I would say the exact same things of Vidic... Well almost. He too has done things a top class defender shouldn't and I'm not as convinced by him as other people seem to be. I still think hes a very good defender though, just dont believe all the hype.

When he covers our attacking fullbacks he is up shit creek. Every time, the wingers and pacy opponents just skip past him like hes not there.

He's great heading the ball, he can put in a meaty challenge and I agree that he compliments Rio perfectly - However, individually he gets easily beaten by a pacy player at times and he gives away far too many silly fouls on the half way line. Oh, he's also quite good on the ball for a "meathead" - but he doesnt seem to believe it and always looks for a backpass to the keeper or Rio. In spite of that, when he does kick the ball forwards hes generally quite good at it. He should do that more.

We must keep this lad, he seems very promising as CB. Tremendous in air, positioning and composure.

Rio is so damn underrated despite his huge transfer fee.. People thinks that Rio is unsteady, but on the contrary, i think he's superb and the reason why Vidic has been playing so well.. I just find it really difficult to find a centreback with his attributes, ie pace, heading, passing, dribbling etc... In fact, i don't think there is any centreback better than Rio, when it comes to facing a oncoming striker one to one.. I think Rio's superb when dealing with strikers one to one, unlike most centrebacks who lack the pace, reading ability and those who possesses the turning radius of a truck.
Spot on