Gerrard Pique

marcus agrippa

i just watched the Zaragoza - Barca match from yesterday.

Pique was immense. marked Ronaldinho out of the game, till Barca had to shift him out to the wing. he also won all his one-on-ones with Messi.

if we let this one go, we will be sure to regret it.

oh, and Milito is a beast of a defender.

Good news, got a vid of him in this game?

bs Rossi scored a wonderful volly for Parma yesterday in the 89 min wich won the game.

good news. did he play in defense or midfield?

good news. did he play in defense or midfield?

Pique is right now starter for Zaragoza and its playing center back with Gabriel Milito... to be more clear he is for Zaragoza a Rio for us... he has 21 games on the season and it appears that the guy is developing very good...
In conclusion United have a truly good center back to recall for next season just to have 4 center backs: Rio, Vidic, Brown and Pique...

Pique unenthusiastic about Man Utd return
tribalfooball.com - April 06, 2007

Real Zaragoza defender Gerard Pique has shown little enthusiasm about returning to Manchester United when his loan expires at the end of the season.
The Spanish youngster told DiarioSport: "I do not know if I will return. In fact, the least I know the better. Legally I am a player of Manchester United and for next season I must return to play with them. I know they are interested in me returning.

"But as for myself, I am very happy in Zaragoza."

he has 21 games on the season and it appears that the guy is developing very good...
In conclusion United have a truly good center back to recall for next season just to have 4 center backs with Rio, Vidic, Brown and Pique...

1. do you know how many of the 21 games have been in midfield and didn't he play right-back for a few games as well?

2. i'd add jonny evans to that list

Good news, got a vid of him in this game?

bs Rossi scored a wonderful volly for Parma yesterday in the 89 min wich won the game.

sorry. no vid.

but i was very impressed. he seems to have matured a lot. granted, Ronaldinho hasn't been in the best form, but Pique took him completely out of the game.

he also has wonderful distribution.

yeah, the Rossi strike yesterday was something else!

Real Zaragoza defender Gerard Pique has shown little enthusiasm about returning to Manchester United when his loan expires at the end of the season.
The Spanish youngster told DiarioSport: "I do not know if I will return. In fact, the least I know the better. Legally I am a player of Manchester United and for next season I must return to play with them. I know they are interested in me returning.

to be fair, it's tribal bollocks...

Sell Mickey....bring back Pique.

Meh. A short while back he was positive about coming back. Probably bollox.

Pique is the elegant one, similar to Rio but more aggressive. top class no doubt. Vidic and Evans go together... both nutters and top defenders. i think it'dd be good if we could send them together to the same team. they could develop an understanding and possibly oust Rio from OT?
Rio is likely to moan at being dropped at the class of Gerard. Vidic will fight. Browne plays RB and CB so he staying... but i think we could do some make shift changes to accomodate thse two defenders... its a shame though Fergie may stick with Rio&Vidic... though yet again he could cointinue them two on loan, diff expereinces and that, then in a few yrs when Rio is ready to move to Barcelona we can flog him ad replace his gap by Gerard... nice

Rio is a great distributer, but his lack of urgency/coolness has never been a positive in my eyes.

How was pique's distribution from cb?

I saw him make one cutting pass that went straight through the entire Barca midfield. I couldn't really tell when he was on the ball due to the shitty ESPN coverage.

Rio is a great distributer, but his lack of urgency/coolness has never been a positive in my eyes.

Everytime I see him for Zaragoza, his passing is very tidy and looks composed on the ball.

pique has probably a better future than rossi does at a top club, he had ronaldinho in his pocket without having to constantly kick his legs, top quality defender. I'd be shocked if zaragoza doesn't ask to make the move permanent, but I'd be more shocked if SAF does it.

Pique was very impressive the other night against Barca. Held his own against likes of messi and Ronaldinho. I dont know how effective he would be in the more phyisical premiership.

Fck I watched the game and Pique was absolutely top class.To keep Ronaldinho and Messi quite is an amazing achievement.If he doesn't make it at United it would be disaster.
A 10/10 for his performance against Barca.

i just watched the Zaragoza - Barca match from yesterday.

Pique was immense. marked Ronaldinho out of the game, till Barca had to shift him out to the wing. he also won all his one-on-ones with Messi.

if we let this one go, we will be sure to regret it.

oh, and Milito is a beast of a defender.
I keep telling people that if this guy was British they'd rate him higher than Evans but they can't accept it. This guy has to start playing for us next season. The lad is just class

Pique is the elegant one, similar to Rio but more aggressive. top class no doubt. Vidic and Evans go together... both nutters and top defenders. i think it'dd be good if we could send them together to the same team. they could develop an understanding and possibly oust Rio from OT?
Rio is likely to moan at being dropped at the class of Gerard. Vidic will fight. Browne plays RB and CB so he staying... but i think we could do some make shift changes to accomodate thse two defenders... its a shame though Fergie may stick with Rio&Vidic... though yet again he could cointinue them two on loan, diff expereinces and that, then in a few yrs when Rio is ready to move to Barcelona we can flog him ad replace his gap by Gerard... nice
Pique can play all the back four positions comfortably. We really should get rid of Silvestre and one other back defender. Because Evans and Pique will be more than adequate defensive cover for us next season. The lads are genuine talents.

Pique can play all the back four positions comfortably. We really should get rid of Silvestre and one other back defender. Because Evans and Pique will be more than adequate defensive cover for us next season. The lads are genuine talents.

Yep I agree.
And Silvestre should be gone for sure imo.

Generally speaking, Pique is a Rio type player, while Evans is very very similar to Woodgate.

Two brillant young defenders. Hopefully they will both make it at United.

pique has probably a better future than rossi does at a top club, he had ronaldinho in his pocket without having to constantly kick his legs, top quality defender. I'd be shocked if zaragoza doesn't ask to make the move permanent, but I'd be more shocked if SAF does it.

Yep, agree.

He's really a top player, and the fact Barcelona threw both him and Fabregas away at the same time remains flabberghasting to me.

Who needs a youth system? Well, everyone actually. :D

if it's true that he has little interest in playing for us, then it hurts to say but i dont want him at man united. if he wants to sign for zaragoza, then we should slap an inflated pricetag and go for someone who wouldn't be easily influenced to play in spain or italy, someone british or northern european.

He looks a good defender but I get the impression he would do better in Spain than here, a lot more rough and dirty here but he looks a good technical defender rather than a old school defender.

Yep, agree.

He's really a top player, and the fact Barcelona threw both him and Fabregas away at the same time remains flabberghasting to me.

Who needs a youth system? Well, everyone actually. :D

They weren't thrown away, they were both tapped up and nicked by ourselves and your lot. Barca are still quite bitter and upset about this.

He looks a good defender but I get the impression he would do better in Spain than here, a lot more rough and dirty here but he looks a good technical defender rather than a old school defender.

to be fair, he had become more aggressive in the last season before moving back to Spain. i remember watching him in the U20 championship last summer, and he was a monster. even in Zaragoza he tends to be aerially dominant more so than Sergio, Milito's regular CB partner. i remember watching a game in which Pique played defensive mid, and he won most of the headers even ahead of the CBs. i believe most of his goals come from headers as well.

for me what will determine whether or not he stays is the opportunities he gets. we are very strong depth-wise at CB (i don't really think Pique would make a good RB); some argue he might play a DM role for us as well, though others doubt he has the pace necessary to function that way in the prem.

i really hope we move on the likes of Silvestre to make way for both him and Evans. or at least give both a chance on loan at a Prem club next season.

They weren't thrown away, they were both tapped up and nicked by ourselves and your lot. Barca are still quite bitter and upset about this.

I always got the impression they weren't too pissed off about getting rid of Fabregas because of the rising of Iniesta.
Starting to look like a monumental feck up now though.....

I don't like Rio.

There, I've said it.

I never feel particularly confident about him. Quite happy to be proved wrong mind, but a lot of times he seems lazy, and he bottles going in for a challenge too often.

Im very pleased with our future defensive options in Pique and Evans. How to integrate them into our team will be a problem without disrupting their development. Maybe its best for them both to gather experience on loan for now.

He's always had that and composure in abundance.

I don't like Rio.

There, I've said it.

I never feel particularly confident about him. Quite happy to be proved wrong mind, but a lot of times he seems lazy, and he bottles going in for a challenge too often.

'Quite happy to be proved wrong'? Do you know who you are talking about? Rio has nothing to prove, he's not some young up and comer. He's proved you wrong a long time ago, and does it almost every week.

I think our most solid defender is Vidic.

Never felt convinced by Rio. I know I'm in a minority, but he makes me nervous. He's had some great games, I know that, but he's had some bad ones too, and done things that a top quality defender shouldn't.

He never gets really stuck in imo.

On Saturday, he didn't look when he back passed. For Matt Taylor's goal he wasn't tight enough on him.

Everyone has a bad game I know, but time after time Rio doesn't mark people tight enough. Other aspects of his game are good, but he often seems that he doesn't want to get close up and personal.

I don't care if I'm wrong...I'd prefer to be. I'm not slagging him for the sake of it - I just don't feel inspired by him.