Gabriel Martinelli

I'd imagine he'd receive the criticism Antony got if he played for us. His drop off has been shocking. He's been poor for almost an year now. A shame as I felt he was a good player during his breakout season.

I'd imagine he'd receive the criticism Antony got if he played for us. His drop off has been shocking. He's been poor for almost an year now. A shame as I felt he was a good player during his breakout season.
0 G/A in 17 games is almost so bad it might need fact checking? If that's true that really is laughable output from an attacking player.

The context behind Antony bashing is his price tag to be fair, Martinelli only cost 6m.

0 G/A in 17 games is almost so bad it might need fact checking? If that's true that really is laughable output from an attacking player.

The context behind Antony bashing is his price tag to be fair, Martinelli only cost 6m.
Insane they didn’t try to upgrade this summer. He hasn’t improved at all from that breakout season, which is looking far more like a purple patch than a genuine breakout.

Everyone knew we overpaid for Antony back then. And even if the criticism is deserved it went way overboard while I don't see a single person in the media talking about Martinelli.

It's true, although 17 appearances can be anywhere between 17 minutes and 1530. In his case it's 736, averaging 43 minutes or the equivalent of just over 8 full matches.

Edit: Antony's streak was 1414 minutes, getting on for 16 full games equivalent.

Last edited:
Everyone knew we overpaid for Antony back then. And even if the criticism is deserved it went way overboard while I don't see a single person in the media talking about Martinelli.
Pepe’s a better comparison, the Antony criticism has been largely the same for an equally massive flop

Insane they didn’t try to upgrade this summer. He hasn’t improved at all from that breakout season, which is looking far more like a purple patch than a genuine breakout.
There's nothing insane about it. He's still young and Xhaka's departure ruined his game. Granted he should be able to change it and find a way to be useful. He has gotten into some good positions but his decision making and finishing has been pretty bad. With Trossard and Sterling on the bench, there was no need to spend big there.
I think we're taking a chance on those two providing enough this season while we keep some funds for a striker and cover at RW. An alternate option to Odegaard is also deeply needed.

Definite stagnation, if not regression here, unfortunately. Have to feel for him at times because he rarely gets the kind of support he should down his side, but he's had a few mares himself the last few months.

He seems very much a confidence player though so hopefully we can pick him up a bit and then really go seriously for a replacement in January.

I'd imagine he'd receive the criticism Antony got if he played for us. His drop off has been shocking. He's been poor for almost a year now. A shame as I felt he was a good player during his breakout season.

That’s abysmal. He strikes me as an explosive dribbler but (as of now) as an all round footballer. Arsenal are signing a lot of places in other positions but a starting LW should be priority, with Martinelli or that tiny dude as backup.

Last edited:
They bought Sterling?

By name it’s an upgrade at least. Not sure who they could upgrade with who’d be way better and achievable at the same time? Eze or Mitoma maybe?

Arteta's change in system (read copying Pep) since 22/23 is partially to blame for his drop-off.

Martinelli is not Grealish. He's more explosive and direct: more of a wide forward than a midfielder. Moreover, he's young and raw. So, asking him to play a more technical role where he has to start wider, beat more players and pass/cross more than shoot is not playing to his strengths.

I remember a CL group stage game last season against, iirc, Sevilla, where Martinelli had the opposition full-back on toast. Beat him multiple times, I think the number was in double digits. But every time he did so, he crossed rather than shot. That's not his nature, I believe it comes from the manager.

Yes, he's been wasteful recently, but Arteta's system isn't helping (him). Maybe a move would be best for both parties?

PS. The comparisons with Antony are laughable.

They're Antony numbers.

He missed a total sitter yesterday, and missed a golden chance against Spurs too. I don't know what's going on with him, whether its injury or something in his personal life. I can't see Arteta sticking by him for more than 1-2 years if his form continues like this.

He has been getting a bit of criticism, though Antony has certainly had more, also Martinelli cost 6 million I think, where as Antony was obviously a hell of a lot more

Yup. That was the point I was making when I said that they're Antony numbers. He's been dog shite for ages now, but yet there's barely a word said. Arsenal, like Liverpool, are another media darling club that can do no wrong.

Yup. That was the point I was making when I said that they're Antony numbers. He's been dog shite for ages now, but yet there's barely a word said. Arsenal, like Liverpool, are another media darling club that can do no wrong.

Or instead of the 'media' not having a go at these players it could just be that the fanbases of the so called media darling clubs are just more supportive of the player or atleast less penetrative towards the player.

Who had a go at Rashford? Was it the media or the fan base? It was the fanbase.

Who made an absolute meme about Maguire? Was it the media or our own fanbase? It was the fanbase.

Is Antony getting talked about in the media all the time or is it the United fans talking about how crap he is? Its the United fans.

People need to realise that the fanbase is the media.

When Rashford came out and said that he felt bullied by the media - was it Skysports bullying him or the United fans bullying him? It was the United fan's bullying him.

You might see someone like Graham Souness say something stupid every once a month about one of our players -

But we as 'supporters' have a go at our players every second we can (proof is in the forum) & unfortunately that's been a part of our club culture for a long time now, especially compared to clubs like Liverpool who have had a lot of inconsistent players over decades but have been less aggressive towards their own players & have managed to get more use out of their more inconsistent players than us.

We are both the supporters and the media. When players refer to the 'media' - it's talking about their own fanbase & not just Skysports News.

He is in a slump for sure...luckily for him nobody seems to care in the media/socials so he doesn't have any extra baggage to deal with.

Martinelli is definitely better. I think he just became overrated, but it's weird that he's been poor for so long and avoided any real critique.
He's not English and writing about Arsenal players has never been as profitable for media outlets as dumping on United and their players. Unfortunately, we've given them ample ammo to do that in recent years, so Arsenal have got off lightly in many respects

Martinelli is definitely better. I think he just became overrated, but it's weird that he's been poor for so long and avoided any real critique.

I think it's because Arsenal have been a good team that is competing in the league, and also a little bit to do with the fact he isn't a very expensive signing. Unfortunely for Antony (and Mudryk), they are big money flops at clubs that have been struggling.

Martinelli is in a slump, yes, but compared to Antony he has proved he can do it over a full season, he wasn't bought for a huge amount, and the team is still performing and scoring plenty of goals. Obviously not as interesting then, that a single player is not delivering.

Gabriel Jesus is putting up even worse numbers than Martinelli.

4 goals in the league 23/24
0 goals so far in 24/25

Yet Rashford gets absolutely battered week in week out from every pundit and panel.

He has been getting a bit of criticism, though Antony has certainly had more, also Martinelli cost 6 million I think, where as Antony was obviously a hell of a lot more
I'd wish people separate the cost when criticising a player. Antony had no say in costing 80m, it was Murtough and Arnold to blame for spending that much. If we went for him earlier in the same window, Ajax would have been willing to sell for half the price. It was a stupid decision by those two.

Martinelli has shown way more in his breakout season than Antony has ever shown for us, that's certain. But now he's been just as poor as Antony has been for us and that kind of drop off has been shocking for me.

I think it's because Arsenal have been a good team that is competing in the league, and also a little bit to do with the fact he isn't a very expensive signing. Unfortunely for Antony (and Mudryk), they are big money flops at clubs that have been struggling.
Yeah you're right, eye watering money for players who probably aren't worth 35m

Gabriel Jesus is putting up even worse numbers than Martinelli.

4 goals in the league 23/24
0 goals so far in 24/25

Yet Rashford gets absolutely battered week in week out from every pundit and panel.
Barely remember him playing in 23/24 to be honest.

How many minutes has he played in 24/25?

Barely remember him playing in 23/24 to be honest.

How many minutes has he played in 24/25?

I don't really follow him tbh but a quick search has him around 27 appearances in the league 23/24.

This season has barely started so no criticism can be labelled at him (yet) but the point I was making is Rashford gets abuse and criticism tenfold compared to the other attackers.

I'd wish people separate the cost when criticising a player. Antony had no say in costing 80m, it was Murtough and Arnold to blame for spending that much. If we went for him earlier in the same window, Ajax would have been willing to sell for half the price. It was a stupid decision by those two.

Martinelli has shown way more in his breakout season than Antony has ever shown for us, that's certain. But now he's been just as poor as Antony has been for us and that kind of drop off has been shocking for me.
Would be stupid to ignore the price a club literally chose to pay for a player, as it was with Pepe and would be with Nunez, all massive flops, presumably none of these clubs dropped 80m in the hope for at best a League Cup squaddie

Would be stupid to ignore the price a club literally chose to pay for a player, as it was with Pepe and would be with Nunez, all massive flops, presumably none of these clubs dropped 80m in the hope for at best a League Cup squaddie
I get why people do it, but it's a personal pet peeve of mine. If Murtough and Arnold had any sense, they would have walked away from that deal—just like we did with Branthwaite this summer when it was clear the price was heading into overpaying territory. The blame for inflated costs should rest on the clubs, not the players.

And Antony's case was a little different to the others in that he would have been available for half of what we paid if we moved for him earlier. It was not like he was always rated as a 80m player by the selling club either, say someone like Grealish or Gvardiol or Sancho or the guys you mentioned who weren't available for less than what they went for in the same window, I don't think.

And regardless of the price tag, I think Martinelli should be facing some criticism. He’s been poor for a while now and that deserves to be called out.

I don't really follow him tbh but a quick search has him around 27 appearances in the league 23/24.

This season has barely started so no criticism can be labelled at him (yet) but the point I was making is Rashford gets abuse and criticism tenfold compared to the other attackers.
But that's because it wasn't just Rashford lack of end product, but his sheer unwillingness to track back, his poor buildup play and his unprofessional incidents.

He’s not avoided critique. Arsenal fans just have a level head for the first time in 5-10 years.

They don’t brand him shit. Or demand he is sold. They just say that Trossard should start.

They want their player to perform again, and seem to have finally realised that toxicity won’t make that happen. Of course that’s easier when your club has become your own again, and your manager and management team has controlled the narrative.

Martinelli cost £6m not £80m. He’s a success story as a punt and he’s never going to be under the same scrutiny as any player who cost marquee numbers. Surely that goes without saying?

He’s also never broken the glass ceiling to superstardom akin to the likes of Rashford, so will not be compared to that kind of player either.

Martinelli cost £6m not £80m. He’s a success story as a punt and he’s never going to be under the same scrutiny as any player who cost marquee numbers. Surely that goes without saying?

He’s also never broken the glass ceiling to superstardom akin to the likes of Rashford, so will not be compared to that kind of player either.
He's also putting up stinking numbers for a team that are supposed to be title challengers. Surely that also deserves criticism?

He's also putting up stinking numbers for a team that are supposed to be title challengers. Surely that also deserves criticism?
But he’s an irrelevance in the grand scheme of things and still a success story for the price purchased for. He’s not going to get both barrels until established and defined. At that point, the stories practically write themselves - he simply hasn’t had the longevity for it to be a thing yet, and he can’t be labelled expensive flop etc. because he wasn’t expensive.

But he’s an irrelevance in the grand scheme of things and still a success story for the price purchased for. He’s not going to get both barrels until established and defined. At that point, the stories practically write themselves - he simply hasn’t had the longevity for it to be a thing yet, and he can’t be labelled expensive flop etc. because he wasn’t expensive.

I get that he didn't cost much. However, the media were hyping him up to be much better than he actually is, at one point. He just doesn't seem to have received any real criticism despite despite being poor for some time now.

They bought Sterling?

By name it’s an upgrade at least. Not sure who they could upgrade with who’d be way better and achievable at the same time? Eze or Mitoma maybe?
Have you watched Sterling in the past year?

And they are trying to win the league, they had plenty of money if they wanted to ship into a new top winger.