Gabriel Magalhães

Red Star One

2 league goals in 5 games this season
4 league goals last season
Arsenal only paid 26m euro for him. What a bargain it was, great defender and one of the biggest set piece threats in the world

He's evolved into one of the best defenders in the world.

Cut out almost all the brain-farts he used to have, largely down to tactics being the level they're at now.

Not sure id agree at all with him being one of the best defenders in the world, but he’s an absolute monster from corners.

Not sure id agree at all with him being one of the best defenders in the world, but he’s an absolute monster from corners.
Maguire is also an absolute monster from not just corners but also all set pieces!

Powerhouse in the air and not nearly as error prone. In the top 5 in the league easily. Saliba clear no. 1 still.

Last edited:
Arsenal are a cheat code on set pieces, and he's by far the biggest threat on them.

I actually think he was better than Saliba last season. He reminds me a bit of Rudiger. He's matured into proper arsehole, shithouse top class CB. I used to view that CB partnership as a clear 1 and 2, but I feel like it's more 1a and 1b these days.

Arsenal are a cheat code on set pieces, and he's by far the biggest threat on them.

I actually think he was better than Saliba last season. He reminds me a bit of Rudiger. He's matured into proper arsehole, shithouse top class CB. I used to view that CB partnership as a clear 1 and 2, but I feel like it's more 1a and 1b these days.

I remember last season a couple of Arsenal players answered Gabriel, when asked who was the best CB in the league.

Good CB but Saliba is the elite one who makes him better. Same with Van Dijk at Liverpool whoever he plays with.

Top class CB with a good amount of aggression. Wouldn't feel right if there wasn't a top class Brazilian CB.

Powerhouse in the air and not nearly as error prone. In the top 5 in the league easily. Saliba clear no. 1 still.
Good CB but Saliba is the elite one who makes him better. Same with Van Dijk at Liverpool whoever he plays with.
Really don’t know if you can say one is better than the other. Little doubt that this is the best CB pair in the league and arguably one of the best in the world

Really don’t know if you can say one is better than the other. Little doubt that this is the best CB pair in the league and arguably one of the best in the world

Because when Saliba was out of the team they fell apart and Gabriel wasn't as good. Gabriel level goes up when Saliba is in the team.

Surprised he didn't go nuts when Haaland hit him on the back of the head with the ball.

That gave me a proper laugh.

Surprised he didn't go nuts when Haaland hit him on the back of the head with the ball.

That gave me a proper laugh.
He probably assumed Raya kicked it in frustration and hit him by accident.

That or he had the self awareness to know that he gives it so he should take it.

I agree. Solid CB (not among the top 5-10 in the world overall IMO) and a huge set piece threat, but it's Saliba that's irreplaceable for them.

If Walker owned a cat he’d know that just poking repeatedly in the stomach, causes the recipient to go ‘feck off you twat’ and go fully feral.

Gabriel mugged Walker off after he’d stepped up to show Doku how it’s done. Then crash through everything to head it in. Loved it.

Not that I disagree that Saliba is better but it's kind of weird to have people bang on that the day after Saliba had one of the biggest, most ridiculous and inexplicable brainfarts i've ever seen, which directly lead to Haaland's goal

Not that I disagree that Saliba is better but it's kind of weird to have people bang on that the day after Saliba had one of the biggest, most ridiculous and inexplicable brainfarts i've ever seen, which directly lead to Haaland's goal

I wouldn’t blame Saliba that much. I’d put that at Arteta’s door. Not lining up with White at right back and Timber left back seemed silly. Calafiori was the cause of the first goal. Can’t help but feel throwing him in against City away was an error.

I think White would have done better against Doku too. Maybe he was carrying a knock?

Saliba’s had a lot more brain farts than Gabriel over the last 18-24 months. Saliba has more obvious talent and is far better on the ball, but Gabriel’s been a better defender since about the start of 2023.

Top class defender.
I believe he should get the captaincy over Odegaard. Not that the latter is a bad captain, but you need an element of shithousery in your skipper.

due to his lack of reaction I initially thought Haaland hit the post, not his head :lol:
He's given a very level headed interview and said the game was heated and it happens in the heat of the moment and he understands as both are title rivals. And said we will wait for them at the Emirates.

I wouldn’t blame Saliba that much.
No, it is absolutely on Saliba and it's an unreal brainfart. Saliba is close marking Haaland as the play developed, Haaland makes his run, Saliba tracks the first few steps and then...just leaves him. Alone, unmarked, in acres of space.

Is there a forum thread that exists covering how Arsenal set up during corners? As whatever they're doing is clearly working for them/Gabriel.

Is there a forum thread that exists covering how Arsenal set up during corners? As whatever they're doing is clearly working for them/Gabriel.
It could be a good thread, as they are indeed the best team in the league when it comes to scoring from set-pieces. They have improved significantly since the appointment of a set-piece coach Nicolas Jover in 2021, whom Arteta brought from Manchester City.

Since the start of last season, for the whole of 23/24 + the first games of 24/25, Arsenal scored 23 goals from set-pieces. United for reference scored 11 such goals - only teams worse in the league than us are Palace, BHA, Forest and Brentford.

Gabriel himself is on 16 league goals in 137 apps. His goals/90 is better than that of many quite goalscoring midfielders (McTom - 19 league goals in 178 apps, Rodri - 22 league goals in 174 apps).

It could be a good thread, as they are indeed the best team in the league when it comes to scoring from set-pieces. They have improved significantly since the appointment of a set-piece coach Nicolas Jover in 2021, whom Arteta brought from Manchester City.

Since the start of last season, for the whole of 23/24 + the first games of 24/25, Arsenal scored 23 goals from set-pieces. United for reference scored 11 such goals - only teams worse in the league than us are Palace, BHA, Forest and Brentford.

Gabriel himself is on 16 league goals in 137 apps. His goals/90 is better than that of many quite goalscoring midfielders (McTom - 19 league goals in 178 apps, Rodri - 22 league goals in 174 apps).

That would be a great reply to start off the thread :p is there a big gap do you know between Arsenal's 23 set-piece goals and the next highest team? (I am assuming they are number 1).

I've heard they've been employing "blocking" tactics also on the opposition keeper but I'm not sure how valid these claims are, if it's something Arsenal are doing specifically or if it's something that all teams do and they are just the ones benefiting the most from it.