Free Agents - Where will they end up?

TheReligion

Abusive
According to Transfermarkt the following are still free agents this summer. Where will they go?

Rabiot
Hermoso
Depay
Hummels
Pjanic
Ben Yeddder
Matip
Choupo-Motting
Muniain
James Rodriguez
Alonso
Alex Sandro
Cedric
Rui Patrico
Martial

Last edited:
According to Transfermarkt the following are still free agents this summer. Where will they go?

Rabiot
Hermoso
Depay
Hummels
Pjanic
Ben Yeddder
Matip
Choupo-Motting
Muniain
James Rodriguez
Alonso
Alex Sandro
Cedric
Rui Patrico
Martial
Patricio
Hummels - Matip - Hermoso
Cedric - Pjanic - Rabiot - Alonso
James - Depay - Muniain

Reminds me of that retiree QPR team of a few years back.

Patricio
Hummels - Matip - Hermoso
Cedric - Pjanic - Rabiot - Alonso
James - Depay - Muniain

Reminds me of that retiree QPR team of a few years back.
That team would do quite alright, perhaps few names for rotation in the defensive area. But some other free names that aren't so known would make that team do well. If we replaced Ipswich in the PL I think they'd stay up with ease, perhaps even mid table finish?

Rabiot
Hermoso
Depay
Hummels
Pjanic
Ben Yeddder
Matip
Choupo-Motting
Muniain
James Rodriguez
Alonso
Alex Sandro
Cedric
Rui Patrico
Martial

Looking at that list I bet there are some unrealistic wage demands on there. Big issue in the modern game is players being on big contracts and then not accepting they can no longer command such salary. Hence why De Gea ended sitting out a year of football.

I would only entertain Rabiot from that list. Hermoso I don't know enough about, I know he's been linked but I can't cast a judgement on an Atletico squad player. Usually they are just hardmen with little to no technical ability.

That team would do quite alright, perhaps few names for rotation in the defensive area. But some other free names that aren't so known would make that team do well. If we replaced Ipswich in the PL I think they'd stay up with ease, perhaps even mid table finish?
While the names are tempting I don't think they'd stay up personally. Half of them would be injured 50% of the time and there's not much youthful drive there, just a collection of oddsorts. Fun thought experiment though! I used to do it on football manager to mix things up, was always a good save.

Martial will leave it as late as possible so that he can do as little as possible. He’ll probably choose a club that has a lot of strikers too

He and all the others will go to Chelsea

While the names are tempting I don't think they'd stay up personally. Half of them would be injured 50% of the time and there's not much youthful drive there, just a collection of oddsorts. Fun thought experiment though! I used to do it on football manager to mix things up, was always a good save.

Nottingham Forest have been doing this madness for the last two seasons.

To be honest that list is pretty sad isn't it. I'd imagine being without a club would have been extremely stressful and would make you work really hard to impress and find one in the past.

Now they are that rich I think the hunger is complete dead in some of these players. They have it so easy financially.

Nottingham Forest have been doing this madness for the last two seasons.
That's true. I don't even try to keep up with who's playing for them these days. Chelsea this summer have been fun to watch mind you. Imagine being the 6th of 9 goalies or whatever number they're at now.

Martial will leave it as late as possible so that he can do as little as possible. He’ll probably choose a club that has a lot of strikers too

He and all the others will go to Chelsea

Yes, of course he will.

Brandon Williams seems to be also struggling to find himself a club.

Looking at that list I bet there are some unrealistic wage demands on there. Big issue in the modern game is players being on big contracts and then not accepting they can no longer command such salary. Hence why De Gea ended sitting out a year of football.

I would only entertain Rabiot from that list. Hermoso I don't know enough about, I know he's been linked but I can't cast a judgement on an Atletico squad player. Usually they are just hardmen with little to no technical ability.

Yeah same here but clearly we aren't interested, most likely due to age, wage demands and contract length

Who will have the joy of watching Memphis and his stupid sweat-hairband week in and week out?

Is this summer an anomaly or do free agents tend to take this long to settle on a new club? Feels unusual that we’re one week to go in the window and players like Rabiot, Hermoso etc haven’t been snapped up when they’ve been able to speak to clubs since the start of the year.

It does seem like a new development that big name free agents leave it so late to find a club. It might not be in reality, but it feels that way.

I know De Gea is a goalkeeper so its a bit different, but I wonder if we might begin to see some players take a year out and then come back. Seems absolutely crazy but its not impossible.

Is this summer an anomaly or do free agents tend to take this long to settle on a new club? Feels unusual that we’re one week to go in the window and players like Rabiot, Hermoso etc haven’t been snapped up when they’ve been able to speak to clubs since the start of the year.

Think their demands are too high, so either they need to lower them or will remain without a club

I think Hermoso would be an incredible pick up on a short term deal. He's a solid CB and can also cover LB. He's played there over 50 times in his career.

I expect Martial to retire. Wouldn't be surprised if a few of the others did the same, the money versus motivation equation must get harder

I think Hermoso would be an incredible pick up on a short term deal. He's a solid CB and can also cover LB. He's played there over 50 times in his career.

I am wondering if both him and Rabiot are waiting for the Saudis to come in for them, can't see anyone else willing to pay what they are supposedly looking for

I don't get the Hummels thing. He looked pretty good to me in those CL knockout ties. I'm surprised some team playing a deeper line or 3 at the back hasn't signed him up.

I don't get the Hummels thing. He looked pretty good to me in those CL knockout ties. I'm surprised some team playing a deeper line or 3 at the back hasn't signed him up.

Saw Brighton loosely linked recently

I hope Depay goes somewhere where he wont be considered for the NT anymore.. done with him...

With Koeman as coach this is idle hope though for sure..

Whilst many of us were very tough on Martial during his time here, much of it deserved some of it not, I do like to see ex-United players land on their feet elsewhere. With a few exceptions such as Heinze and Di Maria. So I hope Martial finds a club at his level, can stay fit and play regular football, and has a good end to his career.

Such a talented player who was poorly handled by the club at a critical phase of his career, and then seemed to slip into some sort of apathy (by his own hand), plus being blighted by injuries. There were three periods in his career where it looked like big things lay ahead. When he first signed and was such an exciting talent. A three to four month spell under Mourinho where he was testing it up from the left and linking well with Ibra (until Sanchez displaced him), and finally six months under Ole where he led the line in a way that was everything you’d want from a modern 9. Brilliant hold up play, linking, goalscoring, pressing, all of it. When you consider the talent and expectations, it’s so disappointing that his entire United career can be boiled down to so little.