FourFourTwo ranked their 100 best football players of all time( 2022 version)

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Obviously but the rumor i read going far was that it was an attempt by fifa to compensate for pele by creating a new poll which they knew he'll win because he lost the internet poll, don't know if it's right or not.

Also to be fair the 30 ballon d'or winners might have been a bit biased in favor of pele as they mostly played around his time but that's irrelevant.
No, you are thinking of something else, FIFA and France Football are obviously not the same thing and you wouldn't try to compensate for an Internet poll by using a poll of BDO winners because how can you control that to get the result you want?

Also, the poll had all the winners from the mid 50s to 99 (save a few who abstained or who were not alive), there's no reason why that should be biased in favour of Pele.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
No, you are thinking of something else, FIFA and France Football are obviously not the same thing and you wouldn't try to compensate for an Internet poll by using a poll of BDO winners because how can you control that to get the result you want?

Also, the poll had all the winners from the mid 50s to 99 (save a few who abstained or who were not alive), there's no reason why that should be biased in favour of Pele.
It was entirely FIFA and it wasn't the Ballon d'Or as we know it today, it was the old FIFA player awards. After Maradona won the internet poll FIFA formed a "family committee" who unsurprisingly selected Pele. I don't know if FIFA ever released the actual individual votes cast by each "family" voter but they did release the "results" - Maradona did not receive a single vote from the "family" but Di Stefano did, go figure. It's highly questionable but I recall the furor when this happened. Pele was the FIFA poster boy while Maradona had his bad side and issues but was seemingly the fans' preference. A lot of people saw this as a farce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Player_of_the_Century
Since 1955, FIFA has had awards for FIFA World Player of the Year and they decided to bring in the new millennium by conducting a public vote to decide the FIFA Player of the Century. This was to be decided by votes on their official website, their official magazine, and a grand jury. Maradona won the Internet-based poll by wide margins, garnering 53.6% of the votes against 18.53% for Pelé. Despite the fact that Eusébio, who played football professionally during Pelé's era, placed third in the poll, many observers complained that the Internet nature of the poll would have meant a skewed demographic of younger fans who would have seen Maradona play, but not Pelé. As a result, FIFA decided to add a second poll and appointed a "Football Family" committee composed of football journalists, officials, and coaches, who voted Pelé the best player of the century with 72.75% of the vote, thus both were joint winners of the award.
https://web.archive.org/web/2012042...ouri.com/Berichte/FIFA-Spieler/MalePlayer.pdf

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/pele-maradona-split-player-of-20th-century-award-1.223891
-Fans of Diego Maradona will continue to argue that their man was the people's choice in what was originally meant to be a people's poll.
-And reducing his honour to the "Internet" player of the century is a backhanded slap from FIFA.
-This "family" vote consisted of two components, ballots sent in from subscribers of the organization's quarterly magazine and those cast by a special international FIFA jury.
-Pele received 58 per cent of the magazine ballots and 87.5 per cent of the jury votes, while Di Stefano garnered seven per cent from the magazine and 12.5 per cent from the jury.
-Maradona, the favourite of 12 per cent of those voting by magazine, did not get a single jury vote.

Zetrio2002

Kevin de bruyne did not make the list yet.

I wonder where is Keylor Navas or Iker Casilas?

If neuer made the list, Iker should also since he won the World cup (first time for Spain) and Euro cup plus domestic titles.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It was entirely FIFA and it wasn't the Ballon d'Or as we know it today, it was the old FIFA player awards. After Maradona won the internet poll FIFA formed a "family committee" who unsurprisingly selected Pele. I don't know if FIFA ever released the actual individual votes cast by each "family" voter but they did release the "results" - Maradona did not receive a single vote from the "family" but Di Stefano did, go figure. It's highly questionable but I recall the furor when this happened. Pele was the FIFA poster boy while Maradona had his bad side and issues but was seemingly the fans' preference. A lot of people saw this as a farce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Player_of_the_Century
Since 1955, FIFA has had awards for FIFA World Player of the Year and they decided to bring in the new millennium by conducting a public vote to decide the FIFA Player of the Century. This was to be decided by votes on their official website, their official magazine, and a grand jury. Maradona won the Internet-based poll by wide margins, garnering 53.6% of the votes against 18.53% for Pelé. Despite the fact that Eusébio, who played football professionally during Pelé's era, placed third in the poll, many observers complained that the Internet nature of the poll would have meant a skewed demographic of younger fans who would have seen Maradona play, but not Pelé. As a result, FIFA decided to add a second poll and appointed a "Football Family" committee composed of football journalists, officials, and coaches, who voted Pelé the best player of the century with 72.75% of the vote, thus both were joint winners of the award.
https://web.archive.org/web/2012042...ouri.com/Berichte/FIFA-Spieler/MalePlayer.pdf

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/pele-maradona-split-player-of-20th-century-award-1.223891
-Fans of Diego Maradona will continue to argue that their man was the people's choice in what was originally meant to be a people's poll.
-And reducing his honour to the "Internet" player of the century is a backhanded slap from FIFA.
-This "family" vote consisted of two components, ballots sent in from subscribers of the organization's quarterly magazine and those cast by a special international FIFA jury.
-Pele received 58 per cent of the magazine ballots and 87.5 per cent of the jury votes, while Di Stefano garnered seven per cent from the magazine and 12.5 per cent from the jury.
-Maradona, the favourite of 12 per cent of those voting by magazine, did not get a single jury vote.
It wasn't FIFA. Please read the Wikipedia page on the Ballon D'Or under 'additional awards'. Pele was selected by France Football after they consulted with all their previous Ballon D'Or winners and Pele won by a landslide. I'm not sure why people hate this fact so much, it's very bizarre.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
In 1999, France Football asked all the Ballon D'Or winners who were still alive to vote on the best player of the century. So we're talking about a collection of 30 or so of the greatest footballers who have ever walked the earth, including the likes of Cruyff and DiStefano. Each guy was asked to pick a top 5. Pele received 17 first place votes, so more than half voted for him as number one. The next highest in terms of first place votes was Maradona, with three. Third was Cruyff, with one.

I say this with the greatest of respect but saying things like 'he was overrated' or 'he shouldn't be top five' just indicates that you do not understand how great he was.
So these votes were taken before Messi and Ronaldo played, gotcha. Or in other words what you're actually saying is that, no footballer of modern times can surpass him, which is odd.

Ladron de redcafe

So these votes were taken before Messi and Ronaldo played, gotcha. Or in other words what you're actually saying is that, no footballer of modern times can surpass him, which is odd.
By consensus, he's in the top 2 with Messi, and lots of people don't believe Messi has passed him. Will there be someone who does? Ofcourse.
Not sure where in his post does he say that nobody can surpass Maradona, so it's a bit of a strange comment.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I'm not saying that at all actually. I'm providing some evidence that he was not in fact 'overrated'. But since you went there, I'm not sure exactly how Messi and Ronaldo have 'surpased' Pele when Pele has 21 goal contributions in 14 World Cup matches (including a record six in the World Cup final, by far the biggest game in football) and Messi and Ronaldo have a combined sero goals in the KO rounds of the WC and Ronaldo has not even managed to register an assist.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

By consensus, he's in the top 2 with Messi, and lots of people don't believe Messi has passed him. Will there be someone who does? Ofcourse.
Not sure where in his post does he say that nobody can surpass Maradona, so it's a bit of a strange comment.
Because the evidence for why I was wrong was a 24 year old poll of old pros.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
In 1999, France Football asked all the Ballon D'Or winners who were still alive to vote on the best player of the century. So we're talking about a collection of 30 or so of the greatest footballers who have ever walked the earth, including the likes of Cruyff and DiStefano. Each guy was asked to pick a top 5. Pele received 17 first place votes, so more than half voted for him as number one. The next highest in terms of first place votes was Maradona, with three. Third was Cruyff, with one.

I say this with the greatest of respect but saying things like 'he was overrated' or 'he shouldn't be top five' just indicates that you do not understand how great he was.
Someone did a more recent video of this with the greatest players and managers still alive. I can't remember whether it was Messi or Pelé who came out on top, but it was close. Messi chose Maradona and Ronnie chose himself of course. Di Stefano got a high amount of the votes.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

I'm not saying that at all actually. I'm providing some evidence that he was not in fact 'overrated'. But since you went there, I'm not sure exactly how Messi and Ronaldo have 'surpased' Pele when Pele has 21 goal contributions in 14 World Cup matches (including a record six in the World Cup final, by far the biggest game in football) and Messi and Ronaldo have a combined sero goals in the KO rounds of the WC and Ronaldo has not even managed to register an assist.
OK cool.

How about the fact Pele played as far away from the best European players and dominant clubs that included the world's best players during his prime? The bias towards Pele's international exploits is always pushed front and center because there is so little weight to his domestic exploits for Santos. You're, in my opinion, relying on a once every-four-year tournament to justify why Pele is the best player, etc, whereas I am taking the actual weekly performances of two players, over fifteen years, in the strongest, most competitive region for football to justify their place. International tournaments are a lottery of birth, you can be from San Marino and be the best player in the world but you aint winning the World Cup!

Pele was an amazing player but in the context of who is up against, I don't think he can be #1 or #2 position, perhaps even not #3. I think at #1,2 or 3, he is overrated.

I would say something like the below.

Maradona = #1
Messi = #2
Ronaldo = #3
Pele = #4

Gehrman

OK cool.

How about the fact Pele played as far away from the best European players and dominant clubs that included the world's best players during his prime? The bias towards Pele's international exploits is always pushed front and center because there is so little weight to his domestic exploits for Santos. You're, in my opinion, relying on a once every-four-year tournament to justify why Pele is the best player, etc, whereas I am taking the actual weekly performances of two players, over fifteen years, in the strongest, most competitive region for football to justify their place. International tournaments are a lottery of birth, you can be from San Marino and be the best player in the world but you aint winning the World Cup!

Pele was an amazing player but in the context of who is up against, I don't think he can be #1 or #2 position, perhaps even not #3. I think at #1,2 or 3, he is overrated.

Maradona = #1
Messi = #2
Ronaldo = #3
Pele = #4
I mean he put Beckenbauer on his arse? What more could he do to show he could hack it against the best defenders of his era?

Ladron de redcafe

Actually move to Europe and do it week in, week out?
I'm not sure this makes much sense. The implication is that he is overrated because he would have had problems with the top European players of that era was proven wrong when he did come up against the European elites. If he can rinse Beckenbauer when he faces him, what difference does it make that he's not playing in Europe, facing inferior players than Beckenbauer every week.

Gehrman

I'm not sure this makes much sense. The implication is that he is overrated because he would have had problems with the top European players of that era was proven wrong when he did come up against the European elites. If he can rinse Beckenbauer when he faces him, what difference does it make that he's not playing in Europe, facing inferior players than Beckenbauer every week.
Also I don't think the European leagues back then were stronger than the Brazilian one were they? Or at least its hard to argue. The massive influx of money into the European game hadn't quite started amongst other things.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It wasn't FIFA. Please read the Wikipedia page on the Ballon D'Or under 'additional awards'. Pele was selected by France Football after they consulted with all their previous Ballon D'Or winners and Pele won by a landslide. I'm not sure why people hate this fact so much, it's very bizarre.
It all clearly says FIFA, none of those links mention anything about France Football. You can clear it up by providing actual proof, or fact as you put it.

Update: You are likely referring an entirely different award and not the one the other poster was mentioning. It's not that hard to see.

FIFA Player of the Century was a one-off award created by FIFA to decide the greatest football player of the 20th century, announced at the annual FIFA World gala, held in Rome on 11 December 2000.[1] Diego Maradona and Pelé were joint winners of the award.[2][3]

Ladron de redcafe

Also I don't think the European leagues back then were stronger than the Brazilian one were they? Or at least its hard to argue. The massive influx of money into the European game hadn't quite started amongst other things.
I'm not the person to ask and there are a lot that have better context about the landscape of football back then on this forum, but that's also the impression I have always been under, as well. For the reason you mentioned.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

Again all context is lost. I'm not saying, he wasn't immense or an incredible player. Just for me a top three ranking is a bit strong. At those spots, to me, would be overrating him a touch.

This opinion will make people lose their minds because they attribute the above to me saying Pele was dogshit.

So strange.

Last edited:

Murder on Zidanes Floor

I'm not the person to ask and there are a lot that have better context about the landscape of football back then on this forum, but that's also the impression I have always been under, as well. For the reason you mentioned.
Check out Balon d'Or lists for the decades 1960 etc.

Ladron de redcafe

Check out Balon d'Or lists for the decades 1960 etc.
Not sure what the ballon d'or winners list in the 1960s have to do with Pele's all-time ranking or whether the Brazilian league was superior or inferior to the major European leagues at the time. You can elaborate to explain the point you're trying to make.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

Not sure what the ballon d'or winners list in the 1960s have to do with Pele's all-time ranking or whether the Brazilian league was superior or inferior to the major European leagues at the time. You can elaborate to explain the point you're trying to make.
Easy, look at the quality of players on these lists. Charlton, Eusebio, Best, Kaiser, Suarez, Muller, Moore, Greaves, Law

To give the poster an idea of what calibre of players were operating in Europe.

Gehrman

Yes I am aware. More for the poster to gauge the quality of players being nominated in Europe
I'm still not sure that the defenders that Best faced were on average any better than the ones in the Brazilian league. Ditto with the bundesliga etc. But it might just be my ignorance. Yeah they had the brief European Cup and all of course.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
OK cool.

Maradona = #1
Messi = #2
Ronaldo = #3
Pele = #4
A) Please explain why you think the world's best players were in Europe at that time.

B) What you said about his domestic exploits is complete nonsense.

Last edited:

Murder on Zidanes Floor

A) Please explain why you think the world's best players were in Europe at that time. Feel free to start listing players mate. My personal opinion is that the majority of the top players were in Europe

B) What you said about his domestic exploits is complete nonsense What, that no one really brings up his stats with Santos when justifying his place as the best-ever player, it's always what he did at world cups.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

It's one game? Martial has turned VVD inside out once so this must mean etc etc.

Come on, it's like the people in here are related to Pele or something, I am, AND I WILL REPEAT, not saying he is crap! I am saying at 1,2,3 positions in GOAT lists, I would say he is a tiny bit overrated. If I rank him as #4 - is this so crazy?!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Honestly, all these GOATs and best player of this era, that decade is overall nonsense. It's all subjective, biased, and rather pointless.
Hence I would always trust the hard facts more - in terms of career achievements/stats/honours etc.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Top 4 can be shifted to any order and it won't be wrong.

I always thought Xavi was slightly better than Iniesta.

Rooney should be way higher up the list.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
A) Please explain why you think the world's best players were in Europe at that time. Feel free to start listing players mate. My personal opinion is that the majority of the top players were in Europe

B) What you said about his domestic exploits is complete nonsense What, that no one really brings up his stats with Santos when justifying his place as the best-ever player, it's always what he did at world cups.
A) yout personal opinion is not backed by any facts. South American teams have been playing against European teams in Intercontinenal Cups since the 60s, go look at the results in Pele's time. Moreover, Brazil won 3 out of 4 World Cups but somehow the European players were much better. OK.....

B) That is nonsense. People bring up what he did for Santos all the time. An example that you might get because you think the world begins and ends in Europe is when Sanros as South American champions destroyed European Champions Benfica in the forerunner to the Club World Cup. It's thought to be his best ever performances.

Please don't judge the past by today's standards.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It all clearly says FIFA, none of those links mention anything about France Football. You can clear it up by providing actual proof, or fact as you put it.

Update: You are likely referring an entirely different award and not the one the other poster was mentioning. It's not that hard to see.

FIFA Player of the Century was a one-off award created by FIFA to decide the greatest football player of the 20th century, announced at the annual FIFA World gala, held in Rome on 11 December 2000.[1] Diego Maradona and Pelé were joint winners of the award.[2][3]
Dear oh dear. I never mentioned any FIFA award as I've said about 50 times now. It was from France Football. It was other people that started going on about FIFA.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Someone did a more recent video of this with the greatest players and managers still alive. I can't remember whether it was Messi or Pelé who came out on top, but it was close. Messi chose Maradona and Ronnie chose himself of course. Di Stefano got a high amount of the votes.
They were allowed to choose themselves?!?! Wow, that's interesting.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It's one game? Martial has turned VVD inside out once so this must mean etc etc.

Come on, it's like the people in here are related to Pele or something, I am, AND I WILL REPEAT, not saying he is crap! I am saying at 1,2,3 positions in GOAT lists, I would say he is a tiny bit overrated. If I rank him as #4 - is this so crazy?!
Yes :D

Murder on Zidanes Floor

A) yout personal opinion is not backed by any facts. South American teams have been playing against European teams in Intercontinenal Cups since the 60s, go look at the results in Pele's time. Moreover, Brazil won 3 out of 4 World Cups but somehow the European players were much better. OK.....

B) That is nonsense. People bring up what he did for Santos all the time. An example that you might get because you think the world begins and ends in Europe is when Sanros as South American champions destroyed European Champions Benfica in the forerunner to the Club World Cup. It's thought to be his best ever performances.

Please don't judge the past by today's standards.
OK so intercontinental cups, one fixture to decide who wins. Not a league or a tournament, one game. So in the 60's who won the most cups?

Here's a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercontinental_Cup_(football)#Performance_by_club

Between 1960-1970, five European clubs won the IC. Five SA teams. So an even split of winners. I get your point but it's not like Santos et al dominated a competition designed to host a game between two continents.

Ladron de redcafe

Easy there :lol: Nobody is saying anyone's ranking is crazy. You can have him 4th or even 10th. But most people who have him in the top 3 would tell you why they disagree.
Your premise was that Pele was overrated because he didn't face strong European competition. Gherman pointed out that he had his way with Beckenbauer. Which flies in the face of what you said. Your response was to dismiss the actual on-field clashes between Pele and the European top defenders and shout "Is it so crazy?!! I'm not saying he's crap but he's overrated!"
I'm not sure what you expect as a reply here, from anybody. If you think he's overrated, then cheers to you. But when people pick holes in your argument, you can't resort to "well it's my opinion. What's with everybody?!! Is it so carzy?", because it's a non-sequiter. It isn't crazy that you have your own ranking; the responses have nothing to do with your ranking. They're a retort to your original premise.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

Easy there :lol: Nobody is saying anyone's ranking is crazy. You can have him 4th or even 10th. But most people who have him in the top 3 would tell you why they disagree.
Your premise was that Pele was overrated because he didn't face strong European competition. Gherman pointed out that he had his way with Beckenbauer. Which flies in the face of what you said. Your response was to dismiss the actual on-field clashes between Pele and the European top defenders and shout "Is it so crazy?!! I'm not saying he's crap but he's overrated!"
I'm not sure what you expect as a reply here, from anybody. If you think he's overrated, then cheers to you. But when people pick holes in your argument, you can't resort to "well it's my opinion. What's with everybody?!! Is it so carzy?", because it's a non-sequiter. It isn't crazy that you have your own ranking; the responses have nothing to do with your ranking. They're a retort to your original premise.
They're not picking holes, they're using odd claims about him that don't hold up and being very strong in their responses as if I've committed blasphemy

BIG DUNK

Tank
Instead of analysing the ranking from 1 to 100 (which is always a subjective nightmare), I broke them up by position to make the evaluation easier.

Few quick notes:
- obvious bias of preferring attackers over defenders.
- my attacking mids-forwards and central playmakers-attacking mids do bleed into eachother - they're just loose categories.

Goalkeepers:
28. ⁠Manuel Neuer
31. ⁠Lev Yashin
45. ⁠Gianluigi Buffon
55. ⁠Dino Zoff
59. ⁠Gordon Banks
92. ⁠Peter Schmeichel

All 6 are the usual names mentioned in a GOAT-goalkeeper discussion. I believe Buffon is the greatest, followed by Yashin, then the likes of Neuer, Zoff, Banks etc all have arguments for bronze. That is a massive jump from 28th to 45th between Neuer and Buffon.

Centrebacks (including libero's and stoppers):
8. ⁠Franz Beckenbauer
21. ⁠Franco Baresi
38. ⁠Bobby Moore
54. ⁠Gaetano Scirea
58. ⁠Daniel Passarella
70. ⁠Ronald Koeman

Ruud Krol is a major omission (doesn't even appear in the fullback list either). Beckenbauer's position in the top 10 overall is without contention. Defensive greats like Nesta, Kohler and Desailly aren't respected here. Was there truly a 33 position difference between Baresi and Scirea? No.

Fullbacks
17. ⁠Paolo Maldini
25. ⁠Carlos Alberto
50. ⁠Nilton Santos
73. ⁠Dani Alves
76. ⁠Cafu
85. ⁠Philipp Lahm
90. ⁠Roberto Carlos
91. ⁠Giacinto Facchetti
95. ⁠Djalma Santos
96. ⁠Javier Zanetti

Giacinto Facchetti and Javier Zanetti are underrated here. Pure defensive greats like Thuram and Vogts are again overlooked. Brehme and Cabrini I would also personally take over some of those Brazilians. Carlos Alberto (ranked #25) versus Facchetti (ranked #91) is an obvious red flag, demonstrating that the overall ranking is imbalanced and inconsistent. Carlos Alberto has been ranked higher than even Gullit, Baggio, Matthaus and Ronaldinho.

Central midfielders (included defensive midfielders, box to box midfielders, deep lying and central playmakers):
24. ⁠Xavi
32. ⁠Lothar Matthaus
36. ⁠Luis Suárez Miramontes
46. ⁠Didi
65. ⁠Johan Neeskens
75. ⁠Jose Andrade
77. ⁠Frank Rijkaard
79. ⁠Luka Modric
81. ⁠Josef Masopust
88. ⁠Sergio Busquets

In my eyes Matthaus is the greatest midfielder, and his overall rank of #32 is surprising, given his career for both club and country. Rijkaard underrated too, the greatest ever defensive midfielder. Jose Andrade chosen over Falcao, Redondo, Van Hanegem, Bozsik and Tigana...? No thanks.

Attacking midfielders (including advanced playmakers, playmaking inside forwards, classic #10s):
2. ⁠Diego Maradona
5. ⁠Zinedine Zidane
13. ⁠Michel Platini
14. ⁠Zico
16. ⁠Bobby Charlton
20. ⁠Andres Iniesta
27. ⁠Ruud Gullit
29. ⁠Socrates
30. ⁠Raymond Kopa
34. ⁠Valentino Mazzola
39. ⁠Michael Laudrup
44. ⁠Gunter Netzer
47. ⁠Rivellino
56. ⁠Juan Alberto Schiaffino
57. ⁠Fritz Walter
60. ⁠Gianni Rivera
67. ⁠Sandro Mazzola
72. ⁠Teofilo Cubillas
98. ⁠Kaka
100. ⁠Gheorghe Hagi

Zidane's overall rank is too high. The FourFourTwo editing team's obvious mutual boyhood favourite. Platini > Zidane. Rivera and Zizinho are always underrated (sometimes even missing from Top 100 lists).

Wingers (including outside forwards and wide playmakers):
7. ⁠George Best
15. ⁠Garrincha
26. ⁠Ronaldinho
33. ⁠Stanley Matthews
37. ⁠Francisco Gento
53. ⁠Jairzinho
69. ⁠Jimmy Johnstone
94. ⁠Luis Figo

In terms of talent, George Best has argument for top 10 overall, but not all-time. Don't mind Best and Garrincha topping the ranking here though. Luis Figo weirdly underrated (#94), arguably the best winger I have seen. Matthews at #33, but no Tom Finney? I would also make room for Nedved, Dzajic, Hamrin and Robben over Jimmy Johnstone too.

Forwards (including supporting strikers, false/withdrawn #9s, wingforwards):
1. ⁠Lionel Messi
3. ⁠Cristiano Ronaldo
4. ⁠Pele
6. ⁠Johan Cruyff
9. ⁠Ferenc Puskas
12. ⁠Alfredo Di Stefano
19. ⁠Giuseppe Meazza
23. ⁠Eusebio
35. ⁠Matthias Sindelar
40. ⁠Roberto Baggio
41. ⁠Kenny Dalglish
43. ⁠Nandor Hidegkuti
48. ⁠Kevin Keegan
49. ⁠Thierry Henry
52. ⁠Oleg Blokhin
51. ⁠Jose Manuel Moreno
61. ⁠Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
68. ⁠Dennis Bergkamp
71. ⁠Omar Sivori
74. ⁠Eric Cantona
78. ⁠Florian Albert
84. ⁠Wayne Rooney
87. ⁠Allan Simonsen
89. ⁠Hristo Stoichkov
99. ⁠Mario Kempes

I would personally rank the greatest forwards in this order: Messi, Pele, Cruyff, Cristiano Ronaldo, Di Stefano, Puskas. Forwards like Rivaldo, Sarosi and Suarez are missing whose ability, peak, and goalscoring/creative impact have been overlooked. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge deserves a higher rank too.

Strikers (including poachers and target men):
10. ⁠Ronaldo
11. ⁠Gerd Muller
18. ⁠Romario
22. ⁠Marco van Basten
42. ⁠Paolo Rossi
62. ⁠John Charles
63. ⁠Dixie Dean
64. ⁠Gunnar Nordahl
66. ⁠Denis Law
80. ⁠Just Fontaine
82. ⁠Jimmy Greaves
83. ⁠Hugo Sanchez
86. ⁠Alan Shearer
93. ⁠Sandor Kocsis
97. ⁠George Weah

Paolo Rossi is overrated (his World Cup performances obviously carrying a lot of weight in their evaluation). Kocsis, Greaves and Law underrated, while Seeler doesn't even make the list! Neither is it too early to include Robert Lewandowski in these type of ranking exercises either. He unquestionably belongs in the all-time top 15 strikers list. I would have made room for my personal icon Gabriel Batistuta too (think of the legacy he left, in the era he played).

I would give FourFourTwo's '100 best football players of all time' the following grade:

D-