"Form is temporary, class is permanent"

Plechazunga said:
Obviously not fecking true

Bobby Charlton would no longer look classy in a top-level football match

Anyone thinking of using that rubbish quote again should just not do

he probably would though.

and you know it

Slabber said:
I thought about it for a bit and then my head hurt.
It's best not to. I'm just going to go to bed and hope someone else has it figured in the morning

noodlehair said:
It's best not to. I'm just going to go to bed and hope someone else has it figured in the morning

Where are the CE forum gimptards when you need them?

(Probably in the CE forum).

It's a saying that koppites whack themselves off too when they've been shite for a few years and retort with a League Cup triumph.

Plechazunga said:
Who's responsible for the "Form is temporary, class is permanent" nonsense anyway?
Perhaps the same tit who coined the phrase 'world class'.

Both Cuntiss quality, yet neither short of subscribers here in the Caf.

Dowders_Jnr said:
It's a saying that koppites whack themselves off too when they've been shite for a few years and retort with a League Cup triumph.

Pretty silly thing to say considering we are the current European champions and you aren't even in the competition but whatever floats your boat.

By the way, no it's not a silly phrase. Class is a player's ability. Form is how they are doing at the moment. If a player isn't playing well for any reason other than a lack of ability, that is a loss of form.

If on the other hand we're talking about most of the current crop at United and all of the Everton team, that's a lack of class.

Danny_ said:
Pretty silly thing to say considering we are the current European champions and you aren't even in the competition but whatever floats your boat.

By the way, no it's not a silly phrase. Class is a player's ability. Form is how they are doing at the moment. If a player isn't playing well for any reason other than a lack of ability, that is a loss of form.

If on the other hand we're talking about most of the current crop at United and all of the Everton team, that's a lack of class.

Yes it is a silly phrase

Players don't have their ability forever. They get injured/burnt out/old/dead. Saying their "class"/"ability" is permanent is meaningless

Obviously I'm not denying players can lack class...so your last point is also a bit rubbish

Its a game of two halves.

You can't dispute that one.

Even if it is uninformative verbal dribbling.

The phrase is used when players are suffering a crisis in confidence. All it means is that you have the ability son, just believe in yourself. I don't see a problem with it personally but apparently you do.

And Liverpool have had form from time to time but no scouser has ever existed who had any class.

John Peel aside.

Danny_ said:
The phrase is used when players are suffering a crisis in confidence. All it means is that you have the ability son, just believe in yourself. I don't see a problem with it personally but apparently you do.

It's used all the time, by cretins

It's used about clubs..."we may be playing shite, but of course form is temporary, whereas class is permanent"

No it isn't...tell that to Blackpool

In your own example, it fails to account for the many many players...in fact all players, whose class doesn't turn out to be permanent.

It's stupid and wrong

Danny_ said:

So perhaps they should say this instead of talking bollocks.

Unless they fear for their future career as a pundit wher making any kind of sense or talking in anything other than meaningless cliques and gibberish is a distinct handicap.

Wibble said:
And Liverpool have had form from time to time but no scouser has ever existed who had any class.

John Peel aside.

Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Barnes, Beardsley etc. Ferguson would probably have sold his grandmother to have any of those players in his United team.

Danny_ said:

You obviously never saw Tomas Brolin play, or more tragically Gianluigi Lentini.

The point is, the phrase is too vague to be considered overly credible as class and ability can dwindle, for one reason or another.

Wibble said:
So perhaps they should say this instead of talking bollocks.

Unless they fear for their future career as a pundit where making any kind of sense or talking in anything other than meaningless cliques and gibberish is a distinct handicap.

I agree that most punditry is bollocks. You won't find any argument from me there.

Plechazunga said:
All now rubbish at football

I'd still prefer to have Dalglish in my side even now that Fletcher.

He'd probably demand a lot less wages also on account of his age and he could teach the lads a thing or two in training.

Danny_ said:
I'd still prefer to have Dalglish in my side even now that Fletcher.

I'm sure if Bobby Robson was still in charge at Newcastle he'd consider pairing Shearer with Jackie Milburn.

Plechazunga said:
All now rubbish at football

You've obviously never watched The Masters. They've still got it, just a bit more slowly.

Slabber said:
You've obviously never watched The Masters. They've still got it, just a bit more slowly.

Maybe, but the phrase cant be applied to every player. Saying "form is temporary, class is permanent" implies that its referring to every player thats had class, been classy whatever, and class so blatantly is not permanent with everyone. That I'm afraid is what makes the phrase bollocks.

Dowders_Jnr said:
You obviously never saw Tomas Brolin play, or more tragically Gianluigi Lentini.

The point is, the phrase is too vague to be considered overly credible as class and ability can dwindle, for one reason or another.

Fair enough. Ability depends upon a combination of effort and natural talent and if you don't put the effort in, the natural talent that you have will never be used. You won't reach your potential but that potential is there if you do start putting in the effort. The word permanent used in this context means maybe ten years or maybe even a bit less but I see nothing wrong with using it to mean this. How long the word permanent denotes depends upon the context in which it's used.