g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
There is a harder ‘Final Fantasy’ mode which unlocks upon completion - but difficulty has always been an isssue in FF games. I don’t think I’ve ever found any of them hard.

I did enjoy this game overall - some of the bosses and cutscenes were incredible. Though it does suffer from the usual open world stuff. And I wasn’t to happy with the ending.
Why couldnt they just include higher difficulty settings from the get go? The studio must have noticed how easy the normal mode is before launch.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Why couldnt they just include higher difficulty settings from the get go? The studio must have noticed how easy the normal mode is before launch.
Because they wanted to create the most generic possible game to appeal to the masses and it backfired.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Hard mode isn't hard either. It's probably 'normal' level in traditional FF games and normal mode is easy, as said, to likely appeal on a mass scale.

rio's upper lip

Guys, I’m dying here.

Listen, this game started out great. The first sequence got me proper hooked, and I couldn’t wait to learn more about the goings on in the realm. I was particularly intrigued by Joshua/Phoenix. Ultima and the girly looking guy with the side braids also piqued my interest, and kinda still do. And what the heck is even a Mythos? Dunno, but I sort of enjoy that part.

I’m now out here running errand for some no mark Madame. A guy called Goetz is here, talking shite. Every boss fight is excruciatingly long, and when the third iteration of the boss is dead, they smack you with the fourth, fifth and sixth. A guy named Otto stands in the same place for weeks on end, boring as all hell. Also, talks out of his ass about boring dullagery. And now I gotta travel to three boring towns to solve their dumb dilemmas. That’s where I’m at now. I can’t bring myself to turn the game on to spend an hour doing dumb quests for dumb townsfolk with severe charisma deficits.

Please, give me some hope for the end of the game. Is there some grand crescendo coming? This game is dying for me as it is.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Guys, I’m dying here.

Listen, this game started out great. The first sequence got me proper hooked, and I couldn’t wait to learn more about the goings on in the realm. I was particularly intrigued by Joshua/Phoenix. Ultima and the girly looking guy with the side braids also piqued my interest, and kinda still do. And what the heck is even a Mythos? Dunno, but I sort of enjoy that part.

I’m now out here running errand for some no mark Madame. A guy called Goetz is here, talking shite. Every boss fight is excruciatingly long, and when the third iteration of the boss is dead, they smack you with the fourth, fifth and sixth. A guy named Otto stands in the same place for weeks on end, boring as all hell. Also, talks out of his ass about boring dullagery. And now I gotta travel to three boring towns to solve their dumb dilemmas. That’s where I’m at now. I can’t bring myself to turn the game on to spend an hour doing dumb quests for dumb townsfolk with severe charisma deficits.

Please, give me some hope for the end of the game. Is there some grand crescendo coming? This game is dying for me as it is.
:lol: I think you're maybe at the part where it feels like it's coming to the end before it then drags you into a bit more side quest grinding (then the end hits).

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Guys, I’m dying here.

Yeah that was my main issue with the game. I did love the major cut scenes and boss fights though (last boss is a great fight with some amazing music).

But yeah the filler and dull side quests were a chore.

Irwin99

Guys, I’m dying here.

Unfortunately you might just have to power on to the ending. You can just skip the dialogue for the crappy fetch quest main story parts. As others have mentioned there will be a big rage inducing moment where the game hits you with about 5 billion optional quests but just ignore them if you like and follow the main quest.

pacifictheme

Guys, I’m dying here.

It never really gets better. I had to force myself to finish it in the end. It was one of the biggest disappointments I have had gaming wise. Bad combat, bad characters, bad environments. Bad game.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think both FFXV and FFXVI suffer from the same problem. Yes they're flashy. Yes everything feels more "real time". But at times they feel like watching a movie than actually playing a game. Maybe I'm just being a boomer but in older FFs (up to XIII at least), there was a lot of satisfaction beating bosses in the story that act like a wall for you to get through. Where preps and strats are more important than pressing the correct buttons sequence to perform optimal damage. I don't like the direction they're going where FF is becoming more like an action game, even worse it's a game that plays itself? Some normies back then had to try really hard to beat the game, they didnt have to unlock hard mode to be pulling their hair out if they played without guides. And that's the challenge and what we played the game for. Nowadays 'buy DLC and you'll get this item that will make your journey easier' (FFXV). Yes you can opt not use that item but the fact that such method exists feels weird already because that means you have to choose the hardest, non optimum way available to be able to enjoy difficult encounters otherwise they become a joke. I think XVI is also quite similar, equip items to reduce difficulty or dumb the game down.

Just make a normal game without gimmicky bullshit ffs. I swear if they make something like FFX but with new story and better graphics it's going to be more successful than trying to reinvent the game. FFXIII is the furthest battle system they should go for, just improve upon it than going all Devil May Cry.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think both FFXV and FFXVI suffer from the same problem. Yes they're flashy. Yes everything feels more "real time". But at times they feel like watching a movie than actually playing a game. Maybe I'm just being a boomer but in older FFs (up to XIII at least), there was a lot of satisfaction beating bosses in the story that act like a wall for you to get through. Where preps and strats are more important than pressing the correct buttons sequence to perform optimal damage. I don't like the direction they're going where FF is becoming more like an action game, even worse it's a game that plays itself? Some normies back then had to try really hard to beat the game, they didnt have to unlock hard mode to be pulling their hair out if they played without guides. And that's the challenge and what we played the game for. Nowadays 'buy DLC and you'll get this item that will make your journey easier' (FFXV). Yes you can opt not use that item but the fact that such method exists feels weird already because that means you have to choose the hardest, non optimum way available to be able to enjoy difficult encounters otherwise they become a joke. I think XIV also suffers from the same problem, equip items to reduce difficulty or dumb the game down.

Just make a normal game without gimmicky bullshit ffs. I swear if they make something like FFX but with new story and better graphics it's going to be more successful than trying to reinvent the game. FFXIII is the furthest battle system they should go for, just improve upon it than going all Devil May Cry.
I think FF7 Remake isn't too bad in terms of difficulty. There are some hairy moments if you have the wrong setup or strat.

This one though is very easy. Despite loving games I'm very average at them and this was a very easy platinum + I barely died at all or got close to it.

Ainu

Late to the party as usual, but I'm finally playing through this. About 15 hours in I'd say, and I'm really enjoying it. It's clearly just a straight up action-adventure game instead of an RPG, but I don't mind that. I'm not sure it'll hold up after 50+ hours, but I'm optimistic for now.

The story is intriguing enough that I find it hard to put the controller down, and that counts for a lot. I'm actually invested in the characters, which is something I haven't had in a new (no remake) mainline entry since, well, probably as far back as FFX. Which is pretty depressing when you think about it.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The end (assume its the fecking end) of chapter 14, thus the game, is awfully designed. So so awful. Wont go into spoilers but I just want it to end but a certain boss keeps killing me as soon as I get its health down to a sliver i am going to go mad.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The end (assume its the fecking end) of chapter 14, thus the game, is awfully designed. So so awful. Wont go into spoilers but I just want it to end but a certain boss keeps killing me as soon as I get its health down to a sliver i am going to go mad.
Oh fcuk I thought this was the FF VII Rebirth thread

Irwin99

Not planning on playing Rebirth as i've just lost all interest in FF7 but it just seems XVI got absolutely overshadowed by Rebirth. The Leviathan DLC barely made a splash from what I can see (crap pun intended :D ).

Bebe

Guys, I’m dying here.

The game starts great, ends pretty well, has some very fun moments throughout the middle but they are interspersed with a lot of drudgery.

Just power through and don't waste time with much (if any) side stuff. It's worth it, but I've never played a game as poorly paced or that provided such an uneven experience.

siw2007

Finished the Rising Tides DLC (minus side quests tacked on at the end) and that will pretty much end my time with the game. The DLC was fine, the Leviathan battle was pretty epic. I would still say that the game is pretty good, but it is quite clearly an inferior product to Rebirth which was phenomenal. If Rebirth is a 9/9.5 then this is closer to an 8.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The game starts great, ends pretty well, has some very fun moments throughout the middle but they are interspersed with a lot of drudgery.

Just power through and don't waste time with much (if any) side stuff. It's worth it, but I've never played a game as poorly paced or that provided such an uneven experience.
Yeah would be my take. Some of the boss battles were pretty epic mind. Great soundtrack too. Think it just got lost in itself.

Be interesting to see what they do for XVII. Truth be told I don’t think there’s been a great new mainstream FF since probably X (maybe XII, but I never finished it).

Kind of wish they would just remake some of the clsssic ones once they’ve done with VII, but it’s such a big undertaking/cost I can’t see it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah would be my take. Some of the boss battles were pretty epic mind. Great soundtrack too. Think it just got lost in itself.

Be interesting to see what they do for XVII. Truth be told I don’t think there’s been a great new mainstream FF since probably X (maybe XII, but I never finished it).

Kind of wish they would just remake some of the clsssic ones once they’ve done with VII, but it’s such a big undertaking/cost I can’t see it.
I loved XII but yeah that was the last great true FF game so to speak. I enjoyed this game too but it was a different angle which could be vastly improved and brought further back to the roots of FF. They should really just engage with the FF7 remake combat system and avenue with any new titles. It works best.

Zen86

I’ve pretty much given up on this now, everything just felt like a monotonous grind. The combat and overall gameplay was dull, and there was too much filler in the main quests and story for me. After XV, this is the second FF I haven’t managed to finish and I don’t know if I’ll have the stomach for future releases.

It’s a shame as I’m a long-time fan of FF but they’ve messed with the formula too much to the point where it’s just another mediocre action/adventure game.

Bebe

I'd agree with every word of the bolded. It's one of my favourite game soundtracks in years and many of my favourite boss fights of this gen.

Ainu

Just finished this (including the DLCs) and mostly liked it. There are obviously problems, such as its completely pointless itemization and as a consequence also lack of any real incentive to explore, a few too many mundane side-quests, performance and a good number of fights just being waaaay to long and cutscene-heavy.

But these were, for the most part, compensated by a great cast of characters, a story with a lot of heart in it, fun combat (even if it gets a bit repetitive) and some beautiful scenery (especially in The Rising Tide DLC).

Not sure how I feel about the ending though. It's just a bit too ambiguous for my liking. There's something to be said for endings that don't spell out everything, but in general I feel that, the longer the game, the more clear-cut the ending should be. In a narrative-driven 5-10 hour experience, I'm fine with ambiguous endings. But in games of this length - say, 50 hours or more depending on how much side stuff you do - I prefer to get the full The Witcher 3 treatment with an epilogue that 100% shows you where each character ends up, alive or otherwise. This ending almost seemed like it was intended to spawn a bunch of fan theories. Big meh.

Irwin99

Just finished this (including the DLCs) and mostly liked it. There are obviously problems, such as its completely pointless itemization and as a consequence also lack of any real incentive to explore, a few too many mundane side-quests, performance and a good number of fights just being waaaay to long and cutscene-heavy.

But these were, for the most part, compensated by a great cast of characters, a story with a lot of heart in it, fun combat (even if it gets a bit repetitive) and some beautiful scenery (especially in The Rising Tide DLC).

Not sure how I feel about the ending though. It's just a bit too ambiguous for my liking. There's something to be said for endings that don't spell out everything, but in general I feel that, the longer the game, the more clear-cut the ending should be. In a narrative-driven 5-10 hour experience, I'm fine with ambiguous endings. But in games of this length - say, 50 hours or more depending on how much side stuff you do - I prefer to get the full The Witcher 3 treatment with an epilogue that 100% shows you where each character ends up, alive or otherwise. This ending almost seemed like it was intended to spawn a bunch of fan theories. Big meh.
Yes, this is the age of theory crafting and social media engagement and I think you're right about the ending. The highs in this game were exceptional but the lows were unbearable to me and the world seemed very one-note (bearers mistreated, slavery is bad) and joyless. I took the ending to mean:

Joshua is dead, Clive lives but is changed and he finishes Joshua's book under his brother's name, similar to the way he took Cid's name. The final scene reminded me of FF 7's ending with nature reclaiming the world.

Ainu

Yes, this is the age of theory crafting and social media engagement and I think you're right about the ending. The highs in this game were exceptional but the lows were unbearable to me and the world seemed very one-note (bearers mistreated, slavery is bad) and joyless. I took the ending to mean:

Joshua is dead, Clive lives but is changed and he finishes Joshua's book under his brother's name, similar to the way he took Cid's name. The final scene reminded me of FF 7's ending with nature reclaiming the world.
I wouldn't say completely joyless, but they definitely went too Game of Thrones.

It's possible I guess, but I'd rather they just showed us he survived in that case. The game demands enough time from the player to reward us with some definitive closure.

Thinking some more about the ending though, we see that Clive's body can't take Ultima's power after all (regardless of whether or not it kills him). Which means that the entire plot of the game, i.e. him being Ultima's perfect vessel that is immune to the curse, was meaningless. Ultima would've failed anyhow. I didn't really like him as a villain anyway but that fact just makes the whole thing feel ridiculous. LOL