Music Favourite Albums of 2018

It's surprisingly good isn't it? They've got the high drama of Dog Man Star back. Wastelands is an instant Suede classic for me.
Fully agree its a fantastic record with some great Suede future classics.

Lot's of good choices here.

I find the love for the Robyn album mystifying. Admittedly I only got 5 songs in before giving up.

My picks are:

Cocoa Sugar - Young Fathers
Mattiel - Mattiel
Heaven and Earth - Kamasi Washington
Family Portrait - Ross From Friends
Shiroi - Mansur Brown
Stranger Fruit - Zeal & Ardor
>>> - BEAK>
The Return - Kamaal Williams
Singularity - Jon Hopkins
Oxnard - Anderson .Paak

And I'll chuck in the Appetite For Destruction re-release as it's a great album and plenty of extras for GN'R nerds. Especially loved the crowd at the Marquee Club chanting 'here we go, here we go, here we go' during the live recording of It's So Easy. Couldn't get more England in the 1980s!

Sister Cities by The Wonder Years and Oxnard by Anderson .Paak are two of the big standouts for me. I've only just started listening to Honey by Robyn, but it's made a good first impression. Also, Holy Hell by Architects.

Really? Both Wonder Years and Architects were disappointing for me. I really wanted to like Sister Cities, but somehow the magic was not there anymore...

On Topic:

Birds in Row - We Already Lost the World
Fiddlehead - Springtime and Blind
Gouge Away - Burnt Sugar
Jesus Piece - Only Self

Probably more that I forgot...

Really? Both Wonder Years and Architects were disappointing for me. I really wanted to like Sister Cities, but somehow the magic was not there anymore...

On Topic:

Gouge Away - Burnt Sugar
Jesus Piece - Only Self

Sister Sities was incredible. It's been on loop for me for months now. Easily one of my favourite albums of all time.

Architects, less so. But they do deserve a mention.

On Topic:

Gouge Away - Burnt Sugar
Jesus Piece - Only Self

I know what you mean, it's a very good album but not a patch on the last TWY album.

Soccer Mommy - Clean
Ovlov - Tru
Speedy Ortiz - Twerp Verse
Stove - Favourite Friend

Lot's of good choices here.

I find the love for the Robyn album mystifying. Admittedly I only got 5 songs in before giving up.

My picks are:

Cocoa Sugar - Young Fathers
Mattiel - Mattiel
Heaven and Earth - Kamasi Washington
Family Portrait - Ross From Friends
Shiroi - Mansur Brown
Stranger Fruit - Zeal & Ardor
>>> - BEAK>
The Return - Kamaal Williams
Singularity - Jon Hopkins
Oxnard - Anderson .Paak

And I'll chuck in the Appetite For Destruction re-release as it's a great album and plenty of extras for GN'R nerds. Especially loved the crowd at the Marquee Club chanting 'here we go, here we go, here we go' during the live recording of It's So Easy. Couldn't get more England in the 1980s!

Yeah, it's been massively over-hyped. On first listen it seems like a fairly generic bunch of pop songs with very glossy modern production. That said, a few listens in, I have come to like it. Her overly American twang grates with me a bit but the 2nd half (from Honey onwards) is really good.

If we're talking re-issues, The White Album was excellent. The Esher demos are great.

Die Lit - Playboi Carti
Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts
Daytona - Pusha T
DiCaprio 2 - JID
Taboo - Denzel Curry
Swimming - Mac Miller
I am > I was - 21 Savage
Some Rap Songs - Earl Sweatshirt

Travis Scott - ASTROWORLD
Anderson .Paak - Oxnard
JID - DiCaprio 2
Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs
Mick Jenkins- Pieces of a Man
Mac Miller - Swimming
J Cole - KOD
Westside Gunn - Supreme Blientele
Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Benny The Butcher - Tana Talk 3
MIKE - War In My Pen

Quite a few albums I haven't got around to listening to yet though.

Last edited:
I need some new stuff to listen to. Japanese music does nothing for me. I'm an old git and I listen mainly to old Hawkwind, Litmus, Killing Joke, The Prodigy. Any ideas?

IDLES - Joy as an act of resistance
Django Django - Marble Skies

Very contrasting styles but both equally good depending on the mood.

I need some new stuff to listen to. Japanese music does nothing for me. I'm an old git and I listen mainly to old Hawkwind, Litmus, Killing Joke, The Prodigy. Any ideas?
Try IDLES mate, i've just got into these this past month or 2.
Recommend listening to "Colossus" on you tube and see what you think.

Parquet Courts
Idles
Hookworms
US Girls
Sophie
The Beths
Janelle Monae
Arctic Monkeys
Screaming Females
Car Seat Headrest
Let's Eat Grandma
Mitski
Daughters
Rolling Blackouts Costal Fever
Go-Kart Mozart
Kero Kero Bonito
Amen Dunes
Hop Along
Noname
Ezra Furman

Low with the album that I just couldn't get into, Julia Holter with the album that most needs to be edited down (screw you Kurt Vile), Greta Van Fleet with by far the worst album I've heard this year.

Parquet Courts
Idles
Hookworms
US Girls
Sophie
The Beths
Janelle Monae
Arctic Monkeys
Screaming Females
Car Seat Headrest
Let's Eat Grandma
Mitski
Daughters
Go-Kart Mozart
Kero Kero Bonito
Amen Dunes
Hop Along
Noname
Ezra Furman

Low with the album that I just couldn't get into, Julia Holter with the album that most needs to be edited down (screw you Kurt Vile), Greta Van Fleet with by far the worst album I've heard this year.

You've included all of my top 5 so I'm looking forward to checking out the ones I haven't heard off. Nice to see Ezra Furman get some love; he's been sadly absent from all the year end lists I've been seeing.

You've included all of my top 5 so I'm looking forward to checking out the ones I haven't heard off. Nice to see Ezra Furman get some love; he's been sadly absent from all the year end lists I've been seeing.

If it had come out closer to the end of the year it might have featured more, I think. Been a bit forgotten about since February.

Parquet Courts
Idles
Hookworms
US Girls
Sophie
The Beths
Janelle Monae
Arctic Monkeys
Screaming Females
Car Seat Headrest
Let's Eat Grandma
Mitski
Daughters
Go-Kart Mozart
Kero Kero Bonito
Amen Dunes
Hop Along
Noname
Ezra Furman

I'm not too sure about Parquet Courts, if i hear a 1 off track they sound ok but i got bored quite quickly while listening to the full album.
I'll give it another listen to see if it grows on me.
Looking forward to the new Eagulls album which i believe is out shortly

Kriegsmaschine - Apokalypticists
Judas Priest - Firepower
Chapel of Disease - ...and as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye
Suplhur Aeon - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos
Wulkanaz - Wulkanaz
Darvaza - Darkness in Turmoil
Hate Eternal - Upon Desolate Sands
Plaguestorm - Eternal Throne
Mare - Ebony Tower
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Wasteland
All My Sins - Pra sila - Vukov totem
Aura Noir - Aura Noir
Deceased - Ghostly White
Demonomancy - Poisoned Atonement
Esoctrilihum - Inhuma & Pandaemorthium (Forbidden Formulas to Awaken the Blind Sovereigns of Nothingness)
Messa - Feast for Water
Krukh - Безглуздість!
Sacral Rage - Beyone Celestial Echoes
Satan - Cruel Magic
Sigh - Heir to Despair
Spectral Wound - Infernal Decadence
Svartkonst - Devil's Blood
Terrohammer - In the Name of Hell
Varathron - Patriarchs of Evil
Voivod - The Wake
Taphos - Come Ethereal Somberness

1. Spanish Love Songs - Schmaltz
  2. Turnstile - Time & Space
  3. Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance
  4. The Story So Far - Proper Dose
  5. The Xcerts - Hold On to Your Heart
  6. Marmozets - Knowing What You Know Now
  7. Architects - Holy Hell
  8. Conjurer - Mire
  9. Nine Inch Nails - Bad Witch
  10. Thrice - Palms
  11. The Wonder Years - Sister Cities
  12. Stand Atlantic - Skinny Dipping
  13. Cancer Bats - The Spark That Moves
  14. State Champs - Living Proof
  15. Ducking Punches - Alamort
  16. Judas Priest - Firepower
  17. Clutch - Book of Bad Decisions
  18. The 1975 - A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships
  19. The Interrupters - Fight the Good Fight
  20. Parkway Drive - Reverence

The 1975 - A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships
Pale Waves - My Mind Makes Noises
CHVRCHES - Love Is Dead
The Hunna - Dare
Marmozets - Knowing What You Know Now

tenor.gif

Adding The Prodigy - No Tourists to my list

Boy Azooga - 1,2 Kung Fu!
IDLES - Joy As An Act Of Resistance
Confidence Man - Confident Music For Confident People
Stella Donnelly - Thrush Metal
Parcels - Parcels
Shame - Dust On Trial
Matt Maltese - Bad Contestant
Superorganism - Superorganism
Villagers - The Art Of Pretending To Swim
Natalie Prass - The Future And The Past
Mattiel - Mattiel
Kojaque - Deli Daydreams
Baloji - 137 Avenue Kaniama
Rejjie Snow - Dear Annie
Wyvern Lingo - Wyvern Lingo
Goat Girl - Goat Girl
Delorentos - True Surrender
Snail Mail - Lush
Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
Young Fathers - Cocoa Sugar
whenyoung - Given Up EP
Hozier - Nince Cried Power EP
Spies - Constancy
Anna Burch - Quit The Curse
Dream Wife - Dream Wife
Saint Sister - Shape Of Silence
Deadbots - Love Unlimited
O Emperor - Jason
We Cut Corners - Impostors

Anderson Paak - Oxnard
Eminem - Kamikaze
Ice Cube - Everythang's Corrupt
YG - Stay Dangerous
Jay Rock - Redemption
Rejjie Snow - Dear Annie
Nipsey Hussle - Victory Lap
Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy
Ghostface Killah - The Lost Tapes

Probably my favourite album of the year, consistent throughout with a beautiful opener & great, laid-back closer.

I like it. Found their last EP a grower to the point it's now probably my favourite, so I'm hoping for the same here. Annoying Guy's the early standout, I love Jordyn's drumming & how over the top it is. The bit at 3.15 when it opens up leading into the solo, is blissful.

Pretty amazing how much I've enjoyed their last two albums (their 18th & 19th). They have such a full sound that makes it hard to listen to anything else for a while. The weird, proggy bits probably don't hit the same heights as previous albums, but it's a really nice mix of those parts with fun, pop sounds. I love how they build on top of the slightly cheesy propulsive beat of the opener, Done.

I'd absolutely love this if only I could get into her vocals, I find them as off putting as Corin Tucker's. Great writing though, their best yet.

I can't stop listening to Agloe. Great headphones album, it's just too easily become background music the few times I've tried playing it for people through a stereo.

Still love and hate the vocals, just too much for me most of the time. Great writing though, they write an amazing coda. The fade out on Not Abel is criminal, it should go on at least twice as long.

Think it does enough new things with the 90s sound, though ymmv as I know I'd still like it even if it didn't.

Grow into a Ghost had me incredibly excited for this & it remains my favourite song of the year, but like Kenosha off their first, I like it way more than the rest of the album. The track highlighted how stupid my (largely ambivalent) attitude to lyrics is - the opening lines annoy the hell out of me, only for it to all be rescued by 'today is Saturday', which I cannot hear without speaking along, for no good reason. Though I can't unhear chihuahua after reading the youtube comments section. The Gilbride led tracks can sound like bad Silkworm to me, though Future Hell's grown on me.

I like this more than their solo stuff, which has some amazing highs (the last couple of minutes of Scott Street are some of the greatest ever recorded), but which I can't fully get into - same with Dacus' album this year. The length helps, but I like bits from every song & the highs are there: the swell in Bite the Hand from 0.46; any of their harmonies. Their voices mesh beautifully. Ketchum, ID sounds like something passed down through the decades.

sundries:
I liked bits of the Guerilla Toss, Kamazi Washington & Salad Boys (don't think anything will ever match No Taste Bomber). After all the wait, Intrepid ending up being the best thing off the Pinegrove. Same with Gatherings by Kikagaku Moyo, which is another I couldn't stop listening to when it came out. The last couple of minutes are thrilling, the solo sounds straight out of Canterbury. I love odd bits of their music, but the album like much of their stuff is just too noodly for me. Found the Rolling Blackouts disappointing and couldn't get into the Palm at all. I'll buy anything Waveless put out but found the last EP their weakest. I loved the We Out Here comp but haven't got anything else off it yet. Love the Shabaka Hutchings track but still can't get into Sons of Kemet.

Mastersystem - Dance Music was a pretty good straight-forward rocker, if that's your thing. It was the last thing that Scott Hutchinson of Frightened Rabbit did before he took his life, it came out a month before it happened. Knowing what would end up happening to him, there's some very haunting lyrics on it.

I don't know how I missed this response but thanks for the great suggestion! I really like Frightened Rabbit so im sure i'll like this. Hutchinson always wore his heart on his sleeve. Haunting lyrics you said? This should be right up my alley.