Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
True, but ultimately, its the manager who wants certain players. No one forced the likes of Arnold or anyone else to spend £166m on three players who haven't improved us.
In a badly run club it is… we are were. That won’t wash with Berrada or Ratcliffe…. his Ineos model shows that.

IF they‘re even considering keeping Ten Hag on next season, I can imagine his involvement in new players being a key discussion topic… to the point it’d be a “thanks, bye” if Ten Hag won’t rewrite the terms agreed by Tweedledee, Tweedledum and Tweedledummer.

Litch

Agreed. Even with a new manager, there's no way the club will sanction another #1 keeper after having paid nearly £50m on one last summer. Unless Onana continues on his early season form, I can't see him going anywhere.
I think with signings, how you start dictates fans view thereafter. Doesnt help when you take over a club legend especially how it happened.
I think hes generally been ok in an horrendous season in general. Whilst he might not be good enough, no utd keeper has had a worse defence in front of them....

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In fairness fans have the benefit of hindsight when it comes to opinions on signings.
That's why we hire managers at £9m / year to make the right decisions on behalf of the club. The owners and executives have been notoriously bad, but more should be expected from the managers we hire.

Litch

That's why we hire managers at £9m / year to make the right decisions on behalf of the club. The owners and executives have been notoriously bad, but more should be expected from the managers we hire.
Agree.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think with signings, how you start dictates fans view thereafter. Doesnt help when you take over a club legend especially how it happened.
I think hes generally been ok in an horrendous season in general. Whilst he might not be good enough, no utd keeper has had a worse defence in front of them....
I agree. Expect him to have a better year next season as the team as a whole continue to improve.

mu4c_20le

But Onana, errors in the CL and all, has been observably positive during the league campaign. Considering his first year in a difficult position, he probably deserves another year. Just.

EtH has gone backwards, as did de Gea over a much longer period so the two aren't really the same thing.
I'm resigned to giving him at least another year based on numerous other factors, but I'm still worried about his weaknesses, which were exposed this season. If he was a free signing it would be a different story, but he cost one third of our budget. That money could've been spent elsewhere.

lex talionis

Upgrading the keeper position is not a priority this summer. As bad as Onana was most of the season, he did show flashes of brilliance upon his return from AFCON. Let’s give him another season, but we should keep an eye on emerging talents to bring in and possibly challenge Onana, whose position in the squad is a bit too secure IMO.