Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It just amazes me when posters talk up players like Onana and Antony and how they will transform our team and then they scatter like cockroaches when they actually come to the club and reality bites.
What was the percentage of posters that wanted Erik in as he was a tactical genius and now when he is getting hammered the same happens again.
Like Mike Tyson said...everyone has a plan and then they get hit :lol:
Onana was going to transform our play. That part I didnt really understand.... and I guess I was right to a certain extent. How can a GK transform how a team play when the midfield is crap at controlling matches.

PSV

Onana this season far better than De Gea's last season in every aspect.
What's the source, looks like you've just picked some random stats.

De Gea 22/23 is better at passing, sweeping and goalkeeping and is less error prone than Onana 23/24.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you ask really nicely I reckon we'd part with Kepa for that amount
Most clubs would sell their goalkeeper for that price, the exception being very wealthy clubs with a genuine world class one.

For 40m-50m I wouldn't be surprised if Lunin is available, the other one that come to mind is Bulka he plays for Nice but was at Chelsea's academy. Even someone like Kovar could return to United for that kind of price.

Withnail

Comparing Onana in his supposed to Prime to a guy at the end of his career, yeah that's a great metric.
Well when half the posters in the thread are claiming we should have kept De Gea then people are going to push back.

De Gea needed to go and we needed to upgrade the keeper.

The fact that Onana has not been a success doesn't change that but for some reason people always think we should go back to players we got rid of because they weren't good enough. Elanga, Sancho, Garner, Fred etc... it's pretty tedious.

If you want to compare him to other keepers in the league this year then by all means do that.
Although, I'm not sure he'd be a huge problem in a functional team with a good defence in front of him. That's yet to be seen of course.

Ederson, for example is usually considered a good keeper but if you look at his stats, they're surprisingly bad, he's mid-table in the PL for the past three seasons or so. Previously he'd been in the top 5/6. While being excellent with his feet and aiding Man City's style of play, he doesn't seem to make massive howlers but he's not a great shot-stopper and Man City give up so few chances nobody really notices.

Withnail

Even then, their passing is so similar.
To be fair it isn't like he's had ball playing defenders in front of him this season. A fully fit back 4 with Martinez and Luke Shaw (a pipe-dream at this point) would make a huge difference to any team playing out from the back.

He's certainly a lot more assured on the ball and teams don't press him like they used to press De Gea. It used to give me heart palpitations watching that last season. But as I said earlier I do find the comparisons to De Gea, who had to go, kind of pointless.

mu4c_20le

Ederson, for example is usually considered a good keeper but if you look at his stats, they're surprisingly bad, he's mid-table in the PL for the past three seasons or so. Previously he'd been in the top 5/6. While being excellent with his feet and aiding Man City's style of play, he doesn't seem to make massive howlers but he's not a great shot-stopper and Man City give up so few chances nobody really notices.
Ederson is the worst example to use, because City are an unnatural club, and we don't fit that style. Even under SAF we've played exciting, open football. You should look at Alisson's numbers instead, because he is the profile of keeper we should be going for, while still being able to play from the back.

Withnail

Ederson is the worst example to use, because City are an unnatural club, and we don't fit that style. Even under SAF we've played exciting, open football. You should look at Alisson's numbers instead, because he is the profile of keeper we should be going for, while still being able to play from the back.
Yeah you're probably right there. City are a bit of special case.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Most clubs would sell their goalkeeper for that price, the exception being very wealthy clubs with a genuine world class one.

For 40m-50m I wouldn't be surprised if Lunin is available, the other one that come to mind is Bulka he plays for Nice but was at Chelsea's academy. Even someone like Kovar could return to United for that kind of price.
Oh I know; I'm being irritating and facetious.

Mamardashvili has all the tools to be an elite goalkeeper - apparently he's Chelsea's long-term target but United might be able to swoop in for him.

Andersons Dietician

De Gea needed to go and we needed to upgrade the keeper.
So I recall arguing this point at the time that our inability to play out from the back was only partly DeGea’s fault and more to do with our defenders and our midfield. Now Onana is finding the same issue which is why personally I’m kind of reserving judgment on him till we actually get in people in defence and midfield to make use of his abilities.

He isn’t as good of a shot stopper as DeGea but he is more assured with his feet, we just don’t have the players to take advantage of it. Hopefully we get them in soon so we can actually see why so many wanted him.

Still needs to tighten up his actual goalkeeping ability mind as some of it has been terrible. But it was to be expected with him. It’s just we sacrificed shot stopping for his passing and we just don’t have the squad to take advantage of his passing so kind of a waste at the moment.

Cantonalegod

Honest answer guys; if you were to get rid one of Onana or Mount for the same price we bought them last summer who goes?
I know I’d rid Mount for half the price we bought him, that tells me Obama can be manageable until another summer except if a good deal is available to be made .

I knew he wasn’t that great when we wanted to bring him in but he has not been able to show the other qualities he is good at like playing out from the back because of our poor set up.
Anyways better of a bad bunch is not enough, bad buys all around
Honest answer guys; if you were to get rid one of Onana or Mount for the same price we bought them last summer who goes?
I know I’d rid Mount for half the price we bought him, that tells me Obama can be manageable until another summer except if a good deal is available to be made .

I knew he wasn’t that great when we wanted to bring him in but he has not been able to show the other qualities he is good at like playing out from the back because of our poor set up.
Anyways better of a bad bunch is not enough, bad buys all around
I'd play Obama, can't be any worse than Onana, and he was decent in the White House garden apparently!

Blood Mage

He really is the least of our problems, I think people are being too hysterical about him. He can be useful if we transition to a system that plays to his strengths instead of whatever the feck we're trying to do right now.

lex talionis

So I recall arguing this point at the time that our inability to play out from the back was only partly DeGea’s fault and more to do with our defenders and our midfield. Now Onana is finding the same issue which is why personally I’m kind of reserving judgment on him till we actually get in people in defence and midfield to make use of his abilities.

He isn’t as good of a shot stopper as DeGea but he is more assured with his feet, we just don’t have the players to take advantage of it. Hopefully we get them in soon so we can actually see why so many wanted him.

Still needs to tighten up his actual goalkeeping ability mind as some of it has been terrible. But it was to be expected with him. It’s just we sacrificed shot stopping for his passing and we just don’t have the squad to take advantage of his passing so kind of a waste at the moment.
I take issue with the notion that taking advantage of Onana's footwork would make a meaningful difference in the quality of our chance creation, chance conversion and defensive strength. Early in the season, when we were creating chances, we were poor at chance conversion, but our poor chance conversation had nothing to do with playing out of the back. As the season progressed we continue to be poor at chance conversion but our chance creation deteriorated. Then as the season hhas approached its miserable end our defending deteriorated to the point where a club like Palace stuffed four goals down our throats. None of those deficiencies had anything to do with playing well or poorly out of the back starting with brilliant keeper footwork. There was never going to be a "transformation" of the performance of the outfield players due to the brilliance of the keeper's footwork.

Why it all went wrong is the subject of multiple threads, but the bottom line is that if you cannot covert on your chances there's not much a keeper's brilliance with his feet can be taken advantage of. We're the club that opponents lick their lips over when they see us next on the fixture list and find it easy to blow right through our midfield and take shots from anywhere as they know United don't have a keeper who's a quality shot-stopper.

UTD_Since_1978

I don’t think United would be in the market. Onana will be given another year I think

But Ramsdale and Pickford would likely be linked
If ETH gets sacked & Southgate gets hired then you can bet your bottom dollar that Pickford would be number 1 on his summer signing list & Maguire will play in every game (unless injured or suspended) regardless of how awful he plays.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
If ETH gets sacked & Southgate gets hired then you can bet your bottom dollar that Pickford would be number 1 on his summer signing list & Maguire will play in every game (unless injured or suspended) regardless of how awful he plays.
Henderson at Palace looks good too

foolsgold

He's not been a shining success but we just don't have the money to change goalkeepers with much more pressing problems like central midfield, left back and CF that need fixing, plus we'd take an absolute PSR kicking on moving him. He's our first choice keeper next year by default.

Kostov

He's not been a shining success but we just don't have the money to change goalkeepers with much more pressing problems like central midfield, left back and CF that need fixing, plus we'd take an absolute PSR kicking on moving him. He's our first choice keeper next year by default.
We didn't have the money for a GK last year also, and we were is safer hands. Onana needs replacing if we are to have anything close to a successful season next year.

arnie_ni

It'll be interesting to see how his footwork and distribution is when he actually has players to distribute too instead of Rashford who is too lazy to run and Hojlund who is always in the wrong place.
You're almost there.

Don't you see what others have being saying? The outfielders are not good enough on the ball to benefit from a keeper like onana. Most of us with common sense said the money needed to go to the outfielders first then get your ball playing keeper.

Red00012

This isn’t FM
Onana is going nowhere , he’ll improve next season. 1st season and all that I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

Skills

Snitch
His ball playing is a bit of a liability in my opinion. When he goes long he drills it too low, that's only coming one way in that scenario.

And earlier he put Mainoo in a shocking position with a ball with an arsenal player on his back.

He's decent technically but he doesn't pick the right pass or type of pass too often to add much real value.