Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

gza the genius

I've no idea if we'll sign him or not, I'm just questioning what these supposed fake bids are supposed to achieve, and how not signing people appeases anyone. I didn't read that we'd bid and think "Oh well, at least we've bid. Doesn't matter if we sign anyone, just bidding proves we're massive" and I very much doubt anyone did, or would.

If those running our club aren't stupid, they must think we all are.
I think the suggestion is that we're doing it to "prove" we have money to spend, I've seen a lot of people say the same thing about Arsenal recently as well.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Pete, you're misunderstanding the fact that the above article is the Sun. The article wasn't posted on sky sports or BBC.

This is a genuine bid, which has been confirmed by both Sky Sports and BBC. That to me makes it about as reliable as it can be without Barce/United coming out to confirm.

Sky Sports are no better than the redtop papers, it's the Beeb that are giving this the most credibility.

Cina

The BBC will never flat out say "they've made a bid" unless we actually have. Not sure why everyone is dismissing the idea that we have when it's pretty blatant now.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Why are we bidding for him? He's said he doesn't want to leave, and Barca just sold a midfielder and likely wouldn't want to let another go.

Siorac

The BBC will never flat out say "they've made a bid" unless we actually have. Not sure why everyone is dismissing the idea that we have when it's pretty blatant now.
Because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
If we are bidding for players that aren't going to leave thier club never mind to join us, we shouldve gone for Gundogan. Atleast it would be a little more believable and give us genuine hope for a few days, with this one, even if the bid is accepted Fabregas wouldn't want to move to us IMO.

Stickles

United are a public company with open accounts who've brought in an average of £40m worth of players each year for the last three years.

We also have owners who don't give a shit what anyone thinks of them.

I'm not getting why we'd feel the need to 'prove' anything especially how much money we've got. We're only 'skint' in the heads of those still convinced the Glazer's will sack Fergie and sell the stadium

The Neviller

I think the suggestion is that we're doing it to "prove" we have money to spend, I've seen a lot of people say the same thing about Arsenal recently as well.
It sounds like a glib statement to me. I don't see how it works in practice, and don't see why we as a club would bother. We don't need to prove we have money, and not signing players doesn't boost our profile in any way. It makes zero sense, on any level.

Castia

Weird how we made a bid if Fabregas if he had no desire to join us, even weirder that the apparent bid was leaked to the press. Im not getting sucked into this though, Barcelona would be mad to sell Cesc after losing Thiago.

Varun

Staff
Listen, I'm going to swing between wild optimist and wilder pessimist in this thread. Deal with it. :cool:
haha, am going to be the same mate.

Why are we bidding for him? He's said he doesn't want to leave, and Barca just sold a midfielder and likely wouldn't want to let another go.
That is the most interesting bit in this whole news imo. There's no way we'd have bid unless we've talked with fabregas's camp and have been told he'd be interested. Big swing from his comments about a month back and even stranger considering one of his biggest competitors for minutes just left the club.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is definitely more concrete than anything ever was on Thiago. BBC never put something on the site unless they're sure.

Ainu

He's probably a £30 million player, but of you are not considering selling then £25mil is hardly a tempter.
I think £25M is enough to get their attention, even if they're not particularly keen on selling. As a starting point for negotiations it's not half bad. If they could get +-35M out of us for someone who isn't remotely their best player, that's not too bad. They're not particularly fecked if they lose him. Whether he want's to leave is another matter.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Only 14,370 posts needed to top the Thiago thread lads... It ON!
I dont think we'd have the time to even get close to those proportions man, because the matter will be resolved one way or the other, pretty soon i reckon. Here's hopin anyway.

Whether it be, that Barca wont sell & turn down our offer; that Fabregas has no interest in leaving (as he's previously said at the end of the season past); that Fabregas would be willing to move on - but only to Arsenal; that he's willing to leave with Arsenal & United entering into a bidding war; that Arsenal arent interested (which would be absurd); or my favourite - he'd be up for a move to United & re-unite his friendship with RVP :devil:

So in considering all of that - it could actually drag on to epic proportions.... again.... but do we have the stomach for that though after the Thiago saga? :(:nervous:

We should get Agent Robin on the case thats for sure & maybe we have already though & thus been encouraged to bid for him by Team Fabregas?!

Atleast we have something concrete to get our teeth into & as someone has said, if this does bear fruition - then Denis Irwin is a transfer genius, when he said at the end of the season that Fabregas was our top summer target, before Fabregas then stated he wouldnt leave Barca..

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
And the Press Association.

If Fabregas is indeed interested and Barcelona are willing to sell, I think a fee of around £30-35m would be likely.

Hadn't seen anything from them, but yes they definitely add credence to the story too.

The Neviller

You believe we really did this time with Cesc ? I mean in order to bid, Barca would have to somehow be willing to sell (in a normal world) and I just don't see them doing so.
There is more evidence of a bid for Fabregas than there ever was of one for Thiago. The Thiago stuff was always more Twitter based. Legitimate sources are reporting a bid for Fabregas, not a possible bid, a potential bid, or supposed interest.

Siorac

And why is that?:confused:
Because they've just sold a central midfielder and are very, very, very, very unlikely to even consider selling another. Unless Rosell secretly put Fergie in charge and he quickly started getting rid of all the CMs to sign four or five centre-backs.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It'd leave them with the trio of Xavi Busquets and Iniesta in the midfield with Song and Mascherano as cover alongwith the Sergi Roberto kid that they're apparently promoting to the 1st team this year. I really doubt they'd be happy with this core considering how important CM is for them. I could see them selling someone like Mascherano or Song, not Fabregas.

I guess it should be clearer in a day or 2. BBC reporting it means there's a very high chance a bid has been made. Barca refusing it should be out in a day or so if they have 0 interest in selling.

What i find the most interesting though is that Fabregas very recently said Barca's is home etc etc and he had no intention of moving elsewhere when asked about us. And I dont for a moment believe that we'd have made a bid if we're not 100% sure that he's interested in moving. Doesnt add up specially given how much drama he had in moving there. With Thiago moving on, he'd get loads of playing time in the middle of the park too.

Why? 35mil would be a reasonable price for him. If we've bid 25mil, its standard open the talks bid.

Well that depends though Varun. It seems likely that Barca have the majority of the cash for Silva as they've been negotiating with PSG for a few weeks. That could suggest that having money for Fabregas and Thiago would allow them to not only complete the Silva signing (which would be huge for Barca). But they'd have enough cash left to sign another CM to replace Fabregas. So perhaps by us making the offer for Fabregas it's tempting them to sell when they can bring in Silva but also a top quality CM, Mata/Silva/Gundogan. They'd be reducing their squad by 1 player, saving wages. But strengthening at CB and also keeping the numbers in tact in midfield (with new CM and Mascerano taking Thiago's spot). It's all guesswork of course, but I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility for them to sell Fabregras and replace him with a top quality CM. They'd probably get around 30m for Fabregas as no doubt they'll up the price to complete the transfer.

We'll see who's right in a few days I suppose :)

Revan

Assumptionman
Being reported from BBC makes me think that we really have made a bid, but I don't think that Barca will sell him. Considering how important is central midfield for them, I don't think that they will lose two midfielders in the same window. If Thiago decided to stay there, then maybe it would have been a chance, but as it is, I don't think that we'll be lucky.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Another saga with huge potential of fail. The club will start act seriously on the transfer market or we will hear more of absurd stories about absolute nothing in the end.

There's not many points that would suggest Cesc's will to leave his home club is somehow motivated.

Vasey20|13

I just can't see us, after the Thiago thing, making a frivolous bid for Cesc on the off chance it might be accepted. This has to give us a glimmer of a tiny bit of hope.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
There's one bit of me, let's call it the brain for a moment, that thinks it would be ridiculous for Barcelona to sell him, especially having sold Thiago.

There's another bit though, let's call it the kermitoid gland, that thinks the Barcelona board contains some ridiculous people and during the Thiago discussions may have said something to tip Cesc over the "open to offers" edge and he's now looking for a move.

It's the hope that kills you

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Because they've just sold a central midfielder and are very, very, very, very unlikely to even consider selling another. Unless Rosell secretly put Fergie in charge and he quickly started getting rid of all the CMs to sign four or five centre-backs.
And yet in the Thiago thread people kept on saying it made no sense for Bayern to sign Thiago, yet they did. It might make no sense from your point of view but maybe Barcelona want to get rid of him to fund Silva?

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I hope if they tell us to increase our bid, we just say we'll offer them 40 mil. No miser attitude or bartering down. Pay them and get a decent player. End of.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
There's one bit of me, let's call it the brain for a moment, that thinks it would be ridiculous for Barcelona to sell him, especially having sold Thiago.

There's another bit though, let's call it the kermitoid gland, that thinks the Barcelona board contains some ridiculous people and during the Thiago discussions may have said something to tip Cesc over the "open to offers" edge and he's now looking for a move.

It's the hope that kills you

:lol:

It's true, certainly a possibility. I've already decided after Pep's verbal tirade that the club had sustained a hit that would dwarf losing Thiago...and they may still be taking in water

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It would be nice to have two former Arsenal captains in our team.

Cina

I think it's obvious that Cesc is a better best friend to RvP than Thiago is to DDG and thus will come here as a result.

Common logic lads.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Rosell would likely be drawn and quartered for selling Cesc and Thiago in the same summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.