Everton 24/25 | John Textor has entered period of exclusivity to pursue Everton takeover

SilentWitness

Has a Dutch member.
Staff
Supports
Everton
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5548006/2024/06/07/everton-takeover-latest-moshiri/

Everton are on the verge of announcing that a new group has entered into exclusive negotiations with owner Farhad Moshiri over a takeover of the Premier League club.

I wanted to have a more fleshed out OP and will do that at some point regarding the squad and other stuff but felt this was a good place to start.

A takeover could define this summer really and where we stand going into the next season but also any potential shenanigans during the season regarding deductions.

Squad

Goalkeepers:
Pickford, Virginia

Defenders: Patterson, Keane*, Tarkowski, Young, Mykolenko, Godfrey*, Coleman, Branthwaite*

Midfielders:
Onana*, Doucoure, Gueye, Garner

Forwards:
McNeil, DCL*, Beto*, Chermiti, Dobbin, Maupay*

Yep. That's it. That's the squad. :lol: Asterisked players are those that have been touted to potentially leave and are in the midst of contract situations. Godfrey has apparently rejected a new deal so we will probably try to shift him. DCL is in talks but there are rumours he may also reject a deal. Each year we are in a worse place to the last.​

Last edited:
Everton's ownership situation has been an utter mess for a really long time now hasn't it?

Everton's ownership situation has been an utter mess for a really long time now hasn't it?

A little, like you with Abramovich, the Russian - Ukraine situation changed a lot for us. In our respect it's been a bit different as the face of Everton (Moshiri) isn't but the Usmanov links were a big part of our financial backing.

Since then Moshiri has pretty much taken a back seat and is happy to just sit on the club to try and sell it but the on field performances have made it hard and we are losing money every month.

Despite that Everton is still arguably one of the 'sleeping giants' of the league I'd say, if we can find the right owner. The new stadium especially makes us an attractive proposition which is why there are no shortage of suitors despite what the media and rags like The Sun try to portray.

The bloke who owns Dell Technology is trying to buy them is seems. With two millionaire Evertonians fronting the bid. That would be good news for them if they pulled that off.

I wonder if they’re going to have yet another relegation battle next season. They did very well this season, a lot better than their previous two seasons.

The tough part is that they are unlikely to resolve anything during this window and so as they have already briefed, incomings will be limited to loans and free transfers whilst there is a good chance that Onana and Branthwaite will be sacrificed to balance the books with the press saying that sales before June 30th are essential to avoid a further points deduction. It may be a case of hang on for the first half of the season and squeeze out some points playing Dycheball and then hopefully having everything tied up before Christmas so they can beef up the squad in January and possibly get a more progressive manager much as Newcastle did going from Bruce to Howe when their takeover was completed.

Is this the closest you could get to fan ownership?

Seems like it. If we could get Dell or another wealthy stakeholder to shadow back them so to speak then it would look like an almost perfect conclusion to this mess on paper.

Nice one Everton.

Not sure I really believe that. We have 'no' money and we have DCL, Beto, Chermiti and Maupay on the books...

The only way I can see any truth in the matter is if DCL is off and perhaps there is some financial wangling between the two of us (aka a 'swap' deal of sorts?)

Not sure I really believe that. We have 'no' money and we have DCL, Beto, Chermiti and Maupay on the books...

The only way I can see any truth in the matter is if DCL is off and perhaps there is some financial wangling between the two of us (aka a 'swap' deal of sorts?)

I read somewhere that in a straight up swap deal, where no cash changes hands, a club can put down the value of the outgoing player on the books so long as the buying club agrees to that valuation, but the buying club wouldn’t necessarily have to the same for the incoming player. If that’s true, that would be a very dodgy, and more loophole-y way to boost the books for both clubs.

I could see Chelsea taking a very gradual payment method for him. His value is at rock bottom after a poor loan and a bit of stagnation.

£5 mil a year over a 5 year contract probably makes sense for both parties. 6’3 and good with his feet, there is potential there.

Everton definitely need another option with DCL so likely to miss games.

I could see Chelsea taking a very gradual payment method for him. His value is at rock bottom after a poor loan and a bit of stagnation.

£5 mil a year over a 5 year contract probably makes sense for both parties. 6’3 and good with his feet, there is potential there.

Everton definitely need another option with DCL so likely to miss games.

DCL barely missed any games last season, his fitness wasn't an issue. The issue is that he's in his last year of contract and hasn't signed a new deal yet.

DCL barely missed any games last season, his fitness wasn't an issue. The issue is that he's in his last year of contract and hasn't signed a new deal yet.

Didn’t realize he has managed so many games, always seemed to be talk of a knock. His output wasn’t great though. Seems to produce in flashes despite being a presence.

It wouldn’t do any harm to have another option that isn’t Maupay. Beto output was even worse, so perhaps he is the one heading back to Italy.

Didn’t realize he has managed so many games, always seemed to be talk of a knock. His output wasn’t great though. Seems to produce in flashes despite being a presence.

It wouldn’t do any harm to have another option that isn’t Maupay. Beto output was even worse, so perhaps he is the one heading back to Italy.

It's quite hard to produce in a side with no creative outlet. It's not a surprise that his good form coincided with genuine creators in the side (Rodriguez/Gylfi).

Well I'm pretty confident Maupay will leave again and Chermiti performed well in his cameos so I think he might stay again too so we have three rotational striking options. The only reason Broja would make sense is if one of DCL/Beto is off. There are far more glaring holes in the squad than a striker currently.

We really need a deal sorted out soon. As pointed out in the OP our squad is thin as feck. Little to no depth, loads of players out of contract next year or on their way out this summer. Dyche has another massive job to do.

From what I know of AS Roma in recent years, I don't see this as a good thing.

From what I know of AS Roma in recent years, I don't see this as a good thing.

I guess they did win the ECL and get to the EL final...

But I honestly know nothing other than that, how's he been for them?

He is like most of the American owners that have bought into European football, his ultimate goal is to get a return on his investment and he is seriously averse to putting his own money in despite having previously made statements to the contrary. Roma have been in transfer purgatory for the best part of 3 seasons as a result of the poor investments made when Monchi was Sporting Director which is why after the first window under Jose in 2021 Roma have been a selling club with almost all incoming deals being free transfers like Dybala and Bellotti or loan deals like Lukaku. Roma fans would certainly like to see the back of him with most feeling that any recent success was achieved despite him rather than because of him.

He might be a better owner at Everton, truth be told the PL is a much wealthier league and the new stadium might encourage him to spend to grow his investment, the lack of a concrete new stadium plan at Roma has been a source of major irritation to him and may well be the reason he has been so reluctant to put his own money in.

He is like most of the American owners that have bought into European football, his ultimate goal is to get a return on his investment and he is seriously averse to putting his own money in despite having previously made statements to the contrary. Roma have been in transfer purgatory for the best part of 3 seasons as a result of the poor investments made when Monchi was Sporting Director which is why after the first window under Jose in 2021 Roma have been a selling club with almost all incoming deals being free transfers like Dybala and Bellotti or loan deals like Lukaku. Roma fans would certainly like to see the back of him with most feeling that any recent success was achieved despite him rather than because of him.

He might be a better owner at Everton, truth be told the PL is a much wealthier league and the new stadium might encourage him to spend to grow his investment, the lack of a concrete new stadium plan at Roma has been a source of major irritation to him and may well be the reason he has been so reluctant to put his own money in.

Yikes. Yes, you'd hope given our new stadium that he'd be more keen to invest. Our new deal with Castore is reportedly worth 20m+ a year which is great so it's clear that our marketability is going to increase massively.

@Gandalf pretty much summed it up.

Unwilling to put his own money into the club, they've been stuck with free transfers the last 2 years and have sold most of their fan favourites.

@Gandalf pretty much summed it up.

Unwilling to put his own money into the club, they've been stuck with free transfers the last 2 years and have sold most of their fan favourites.

I'm reading that he has invested a lot in the club off the field rather than on it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if he picks up the slack in the transfer market.

Our first signing of the summer with Harrison going to follow swiftly (same deal as last season, no loan fee but we pay all his wages).

This deal is a financial wangling one with Villa. Dobbin is expected to go the other way.

Our first signing of the summer with Harrison going to follow swiftly (same deal as last season, no loan fee but we pay all his wages).

This deal is a financial wangling one with Villa. Dobbin is expected to go the other way.

Seems like a clear case of PSR shenanigans between Villa and Everton

Yep, it's quite funny how blatantly Villa are doing it this window. Expect this loophole to be closed.

How would they close this loophole? What rule could they implement that would make it illegal to move random youth players between clubs with the same agenda of avoiding breaching PSR rules?