European Colonial Superpowers - Germany recognises Namibia genocide

The only criteria for being a permanent member of the security council is being a nuclear armed state with a history of colonial domination at the time of the council's founding. Only China may be exempt from the second part.
I know what you are saying.
But this modern, peaceful world should be better than this right?

I mean, what right does the UN have to tell people what to do when countries like England sit at privileged positions in UN.

I know our king apologized publicly in Indonesia last year.

If I remember correctly the locals didn't accept the apology. And then they fed him to the komodo dragons.

It could have been a dream, though.

If I remember correctly the locals didn't accept the apology. And then they fed him to the komodo dragons.

It could have been a dream, though.
No it's true, that's definitely what should have happened. Our king is such a numpty. I'd be fine with a king if he was like Aragorn with long hair and a cool sword and 4 tiny manservants, but ours is just a dumb fat guy. He's basically a slightly slightly ginger James Corden.

I'd be fine with a king if he was like Aragorn with long hair and a cool sword

Any king who doesn't say "My friends! You bow to no one" is no king of mine.

He's basically a slightly slightly ginger James Corden.

67b.jpg

The case of Japan is really interesting. They had in the past acknowledged the atrocities they committed against their Asian neighbours during the war . They had made peace with many of their neighbours, including China. It's not accurate to say it was all empty gestures. They provided enormous amount of aid to the region in the 70s and 80s, including China. This was actually part of the deal between PRC and Japan when they established official diplomatic ties. If you do a survey among Asian countries today, you won't find many people that sees Japan as a security threat, with the exception of North Korea and China, and there is a good reason for that.

The last two decades saw a rise in nationalism across the entire East Asian region, and the WW2 issue became a major issue again. The Right in Japanese politics are upset about the apologies made by pervious Japanese leaders and have been trying to erase that, including revising textbooks to dilute the role of the Japan in during the war. This has resulted in a couple of generations of Japanese being raised with little idea of japan's atrocities.

There are actually some studies by Stanford on how China, Japan, South Korea and the USA approach the issue of the Pacific war in their textbooks.

https://www.amazon.com/History-Text...Gi-Wook+Shin&s=books&sr=1-5&text=Gi-Wook+Shin

No it's true, that's definitely what should have happened. Our king is such a numpty. I'd be fine with a king if he was like Aragorn with long hair and a cool sword and 4 tiny manservants, but ours is just a dumb fat guy. He's basically a slightly slightly ginger James Corden.
But he is a man of the people. He participated in the Elfstedentocht and he goes on holidays with his family for his people, when they can't.
He truly knows what the 'common' man is thinking and needs.

But he is a man of the people. He participated in the Elfstedentocht and he goes on holidays with his family for his people, when they can't.
He truly knows what the 'common' man is thinking and needs.
God, the apology video for that vacation they did is the most cringeworthy piece of television in world history.

You didn't defeat Nazi's though did yous, that was the Yanks and the Russians.
In all seriousness the British did well for themselves in Africa and defending Britain's airspace. Also fighting Japan in Asia.

But the contribution by Canada, Australia and New-Zealand cannot be understated.

You didn't defeat Nazi's though did yous, that was the Yanks and the Russians.
Revisionist to say the least.

The Yanks were all for neutrality until Pearl Harbour. The Russians benefited from economic support from Britain and the US with North Atlantic convoys.
Britain’s resistance in the Battle Of Britain was key as was the important victory at El Alamein. The Nazis were never the same force again in North Africa.

The Allied response in total has to be acknowledged. Not petty point scoring. Far too many people gave their lives for us to be sitting here commenting on it like it is FIFA

Has anyone been in here calling this empty virtue signaling yet? Would be surprised at the modern day Caf if we're two pages in and someone hasn't.

A bit weird that the perpetrators can decide themselves whether they acknowledge their crimes or not and how they want to compensate. I guess the UN truly has no real function at all.

Germany has underlined that there is no right to demand legal reparations by the way. They merely set up an aid fund of 1.1 billion Euros over 30 years which equals about 30 million a year or less than some footballers' yearly wages.

A bit weird that the perpetrators can decide themselves whether they acknowledge their crimes or not and how they want to compensate. I guess the UN truly has no real function at all.

Germany has underlined that there is no right to demand legal reparations by the way. They merely set up an aid fund of 1.1 billion Euros over 30 years which equals about 30 million a year or less than some footballers' yearly wages.

The UN is generally powerless. Its the large individual nations who hold a vast majority of the power, which is why these sorts of programs don't go anywhere.

I guess the UN truly has no real function at all.

The UN has plenty of function, just not the power to compel big countries in most matters. That was by design too, since the League of Nations failed spectacularly in the lead-up to WW2 because it was viewed as the tool of one specific group of nations over others. It's also why no nation can be expelled from the UN, no matter what they do (as long as they are recognized as a country).

That said, the further we get from the post-WW2 order that created the arrangement of the Security Council, the more likely it is that newly empowered nations are going to start feeling left out (India, Brazil, possibly Nigeria, etc).

But the UN does a lot of good around the world through its many organizations (UNICEF, UNESCO, World Food Programme, World Health Organization, etc).

Last edited:
Vekuii Rukoro said:
“Germany’s bilateral agreement with Namibia is nothing but a construct of a racist mind-set on the part of Germany and neocolonial subservience on the part of Namibia,”
Yep. What Frantz Fanon refers to as the colonized psyche.

The case of Japan is really interesting. They had in the past acknowledged the atrocities they committed against their Asian neighbours during the war . They had made peace with many of their neighbours, including China. It's not accurate to say it was all empty gestures. They provided enormous amount of aid to the region in the 70s and 80s, including China. This was actually part of the deal between PRC and Japan when they established official diplomatic ties. If you do a survey among Asian countries today, you won't find many people that sees Japan as a security threat, with the exception of North Korea and China, and there is a good reason for that.

The last two decades saw a rise in nationalism across the entire East Asian region, and the WW2 issue became a major issue again. The Right in Japanese politics are upset about the apologies made by pervious Japanese leaders and have been trying to erase that, including revising textbooks to dilute the role of the Japan in during the war. This has resulted in a couple of generations of Japanese being raised with little idea of japan's atrocities.

There are actually some studies by Stanford on how China, Japan, South Korea and the USA approach the issue of the Pacific war in their textbooks.

China and Korea both still have enormous problem with Japan. Even now Korea is threatening to pull out of the Olympics due to Japan putting an island Korea claim as their own as part of Japan.
Maybe it's because it's in these two countries that they have committed their worst atrocities.

Dunno.
it’d be interesting to get hear how much if anything the Brits are going to pay. They’d go broke.
The Germans only had Namibia and tanganiyka, iirc.

The only figure I have seen for this is the development aid budget which was 3 billion for Africa in 2016. I know the Tories are cutting it drastically this year compared to most years.

"1.1 billion Euros over 30 years"

How does that compare to UK aid ?

https://www.wristband.com/content/which-countries-provide-receive-most-foreign-aid/

DAC Members’ Foreign Aid Donations
  1. United States: $34.73 billion
  2. Germany: $25.01 billion
  3. United Kingdom: $18.10 billion
  4. European Union: $16.44 billion
  5. Japan: $11.46 billion
  6. France: $11.33 billion
  7. Italy: $5.86 billion
  8. Sweden: $5.56 billion
  9. Netherlands: $4.96 billion
  10. Canada: $4.30 billion
  11. Norway: $4.12 billion