Ethan Wheatley image 36

Ethan Wheatley England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

Just saw on Twitter that United apparently expect Collyer, Amass and Wheatley to remain with the squad past the close of the transfer window.
Hmm I understand the other two but not sure what's the plan for Wheatley. 3rd choice behind Hojlund and Zirkzee ? I don't think thats good for his development as he's better than u-18s level and u-21s level is like a graveyard for talent. I rate him and think there's a good player in there but he needs experience playing regular senior team football. Probably not elite level but I think he can have a Solanke type career.

If he's 3rd choice that's basically saying he's going to play u21s and step in when needed. But we apparently promised Obi Martin that he will be 3rd choice?

Hmm I understand the other two but not sure what's the plan for Wheatley. 3rd choice behind Hojlund and Zirkzee ? I don't think thats good for his development as he's better than u-18s level and u-21s level is like a graveyard for talent. I rate him and think there's a good player in there but he needs experience playing regular senior team football. Probably not elite level but I think he can have a Solanke type career.

If he's 3rd choice that's basically saying he's going to play u21s and step in when needed. But we apparently promised Obi Martin that he will be 3rd choice?

It looks like he'll need a few more years, but ST is now the position we actually have young talent in, so my guess is it'll be about loaning him out eventually (he looks like he needs to get stronger, so playing for the U21 team at age 18 seems fine?) and hopefully bringing in a solid fee like Delap just did for City (20M after getting 8 goals in 31 games in the Champo, so not exactly Haaland out there).

Honestly he looked quite nervy out there. Doesn't really impose himself at all, given his size. Needs some more experience under the belt. Think a loan might be too soon for him, 6 months training with the first team and Ruud, then go to the championship/League one for the 2nd half of the season to a team that could do with a striker.

I know I'm being harsh on the kid as he only got a few minutes here and there but he had two great chances that he should had scored.

I don't see anything special with him, of course I've only watched him on this preseason but having Chido on the squad now I think he'll be moved away.