Date of Birth: Jan 20, 2006
Nationality: England
189.png

Height: 187cm
Squad Number: #84
Position: Attack - Centre-Forward
Player Agent: CAA Stellar
Contract Expires: Jun 30, 2026​

If we don't manage to sign a third CF. I wouldn't mind him being retained as a third option. He looks like he has the ability, but Ten Hag would need to give him some minutes to help him develop further.

Carling Cup sub striker then loan 2nd half of the season?

Got a good feeling about him. Hope Ruud can help him develop.

Didn’t get involved much but showed some good build-up play against Rangers. One very good chance. Personally thought the finish (with his weaker foot) was actually a very good and composed one, hard & low to the far corner. Just a decent block from the opponent.

Didn’t get involved much but showed some good build-up play against Rangers. One very good chance. Personally thought the finish was actually a very good and composed one, hard & low to the far corner. Just a decent block from the opponent.
Yeah don’t think he did anything wrong there, great reaction from the defender.

Saw this just now:
: Ethan Wheatley will be part of Man United first team squad next season

Unexpected, but interesting. I thought Joe Hugill was in front of him in the packing order. Not that Hugill ever shined enough to convince anybody that he is making it, but interesting to see this news, as it seems like Erik now has more confidence in Wheatley?

Saw this just now:

Unexpected, but interesting. I thought Joe Hugill was in front of him in the packing order. Not that Hugill ever shined enough to convince anybody that he is making it, but interesting to see this news, as it seems like Erik now has more confidence in Wheatley?
Hugill is going on loan

Hugill is going on loan
Yeah and if Hugill had any future, I think he would be kept. Two strikers in, Hojlund and Zirkzee, is not much for United playing in 4 competitions. Third striker could get quite a few minutes during next season. Feels like Wheatley is who Erik is betting on

I have no idea how good Hugill was for our youth teams but Wheatley was very good last season and has come on leaps and bounds in terms of his composure in front of the goal and adding wide variety of finishes. He needs to add consistency to his game as he missed some very good chances and also need to improve his hold up play. He is rather poor at it considering his tall frame. Someone like Biancheri who is at 5'7/5'8 is way better at using his body to hold up the ball.

I'd rather he be sent out on loan as well as he needs to develop the physical side of his game and needs to playing week in week out. He'd be playing for the u21s and will be behind Hojlund and Zirkzee if he stays.

Didn’t get involved much but showed some good build-up play against Rangers. One very good chance. Personally thought the finish (with his weaker foot) was actually a very good and composed one, hard & low to the far corner. Just a decent block from the opponent.
Yeah, I think he had the keeper beat too, defender spoiled the party.

No chance Wheatley does the business at United....he looked quite poor against Rangers

No chance Wheatley does the business at United....he looked quite poor against Rangers

:lol: 6/10 45 mins in our 2nd preseason game at the age of 18 against a passable side. That's it, his career's over, can't come back from that!

Saw this just now:

I thought Ten Hag’s repeated use of Wheatley last season was a testimony not only to how injury ravaged we were, but also to how he has impressed not only at Academy level but also with how he took his chances in the first team squad. I assumed he was ahead of Hugill on the basis of that.

agreed...definitely far from a finished product but clearly not ready for the first team as has been suggested.

To come off the bench in the Carling Cup or Europa League? Why not? He's still young enough to benefit from playing U21s too.

What job does the word ‘but’ do in that sentence?
what does it do...it gives him the grace and opportunity to prove that he belongs with the first team and not have that pressure put on him at 19 yrs old thrust into the first team

what does it do...it gives him the grace and opportunity to prove that he belongs with the first team and not have that pressure put on him at 19 yrs old thrust into the first team
I think he's trying to suggest 'and' would be a better choice since both parts go together rather than contradict each other.

Playing men's football next season would be good for him I reckon. Maybe a loan to somewhere like Wrexham.

Hugill is older, hence in much more severe need of first team football. Same time we can access his performances against actual grown adult players. Wheatley I don’t think is ready for actual first team football, so would benefit from training in and around the first team, perhaps with some Europa/cup subs and working full time with RvN. I don’t think the jury out for either at the moment so would be good to see them grow and improve.

Clearly a good talent as he is in our youth set up but the limited time o saw of him last year suggested to me that he is not ready for mens football, yet, especially at the prem level. A loan to league one or the championship would be great for his development.

Clearly a good talent as he is in our youth set up but the limited time o saw of him last year suggested to me that he is not ready for mens football, yet, especially at the prem level. A loan to league one or the championship would be great for his development.

It's normal. His rise last year in the U18s/21s has been nothing short of meteoric, but more developments are needed especially in his final ball consistency to be able to cut it at PL level. Let's hope for the same development trajectory this season.

I think half season with the first/youth team (odd appearances in the cups) and then the other half spent at a championship club would be ideal for his development.

It's normal. His rise last year in the U18s/21s has been nothing short of meteoric, but more developments are needed especially in his final ball consistency to be able to cut it at PL level. Let's hope for the same development trajectory this season.
Thanks for that bit of info. I don’t know much about the lad. The step up does seem a bit too much for him at the moment but hopefully with more experience and maturing he’ll get there. How do you rate his chances of making it here or just overall?

So far definitely a work in progress still. Hope he adapts quickly to the higher level required.

So far definitely a work in progress still. Hope he adapts quickly to the higher level required.
Only way he’ll adapt or not is to play. I’d say a loan is the best option for him currently. Sir Jim has a club that’s probably a good fit for him at his current stage/age.

I’d like to see him appear in a first team game where we are dominant and creating chances. At the minute his been asked to defend from the front but not getting the chances he was used to last season to show the development in his game.

Similar to Amass, who looked improved when in the starting team, he hasn’t shown his full game in a mixed team but he has definitely improved the last year. Maybe keep him until Christmas I’d say. See if he improves under Ruud too.

If he gets a loan, should probably be to a team that presses, seems like his best attribute at the moment is he's long and annoying to defenders in their buildup.

He has a bit of Shoretire about him. Very good at youth level, but never seems comfortable or settled in a first-team game. It takes something special to do that. Is he special? Not sure.

He has a bit of Shoretire about him. Very good at youth level, but never seems comfortable or settled in a first-team game. It takes something special to do that. Is he special? Not sure.
He's young, and striker is quite a difficult position at that age.

I like the lad but he has shown nothing during this pre-season. He needs a loan. Needs to get to grips with senior football.