ESPN Bids for US Premier League Rights

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Cool. Won't be long before £500k per week is an average wage. The players we idolise and adore will be able to buy bigger houses and faster cars. What's not to be happy about?
i just hope that still leaves enough in the coffers for the glazers to take a meaningful dividend each year.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If $2.7bn over 6 years is correct that puts the deal at $450m a year which is slightly crazy as that is $1.18m for every game in a full season of 380.

To put this into perspective the NHL can have up to 1312 games per season, as you've 32 teams play 82 games, then have a play off system of 16 teams that can play up to 7 games each round. That means the NHL deal is valued at around $476,371k per game (this however, isn't a strictly like for like basis, as there are blackouts for local areas and other conditions on the NHL deal rather than open to all; although equally I guess it could be said that the PL games are also not equal as most games are tucked away; additionally the playoffs never get maxed out series.)

Then you compare this to the La Liga deal, which is $175m a year but that is over 8 years. That means the PL deal is worth $1.3bn more over two less years or $2.2bn more if you say that there isn't any room for growth (unlikely) in the next round of rights.

lloyd2wayne

Meh, I would have loved it on ESPN plus. The FA cup, German league, Spanish league, English Championship, MLS etc are all on ESPN plus already. It would have made it easier to enjoy soccer on one platform instead of all over.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
NBCSN’s PL coverage is great. Glad it’s staying there. Btw, what happened to Higginbotham? Don’t think I’ve seen him at all this season. Much better than Tim Howard.

nainaisson

NBCSN’s PL coverage is great. Glad it’s staying there. Btw, what happened to Higginbotham? Don’t think I’ve seen him at all this season. Much better than Tim Howard.
He's usually on games that are on Monday or Wednesday. Tim Howard and the two Robbies get the Saturday-Sunday games.

NM

Article says you need the NBC Sports App for the network games. So Peacock would not be showing the games that are airing live on NBC or NBCSN. Two paywalls still to watch all the PL games.
Pretrty sure peacock has everything. I've seen games on peacock that are also on NBCSN

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Pretrty sure peacock has everything. I've seen games on peacock that are also on NBCSN
Peacock replays all games. The play some of the games live that are on Network stations. Dish is having and issue right now with ABC and NBC and the Liverpool vs Man Utd game was on NBC so I watched it live on Peacock. There are times that the games on NBCSN are not live on Peacock but are replayed later that day. NBCSN is going away later this year.

baskinginthesun

He was doing live commentary for the Philadelphia Union on Saturdays. Could be a reason why he hasn't featured that much.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Went under the radar because of the US deal but apparently the Oz deal went from approx $44m a year/$132m over three to $100m a year/$600m over six. Combine this with the Nordic deal which also doubled up and these figures are starting to get crazy.

Other areas apprantly stayed the same (broadly) as the were largely done last year in the middle of the pandemic and were for three years. Rumours are most of these will see an increase when renegotiated in 2023/24 with the exception of China.

Cloud7

Went under the radar because of the US deal but apparently the Oz deal went from approx $44m a year/$132m over three to $100m a year/$600m over six. Combine this with the Nordic deal which also doubled up and these figures are starting to get crazy.

Other areas apprantly stayed the same (broadly) as the were largely done last year in the middle of the pandemic and were for three years. Rumours are most of these will see an increase when renegotiated in 2023/24 with the exception of China.
The PL is the super league. Perez and friends aren’t only scared of the oil clubs they’re scared of the PL clubs on the whole. If City/Psg didn’t exist, they would be complaining about how much money the PL deals are worth and say it’s unfair that West Ham have such a good transfer budget.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The PL is the super league. Perez and friends aren’t only scared of the oil clubs they’re scared of the PL clubs on the whole. If City/Psg didn’t exist, they would be complaining about how much money the PL deals are worth and say it’s unfair that West Ham have such a good transfer budget.
In a way they have made their own bed. Barca’s/RM insistence on the lions share of revenues in Spain led to a severely unbalanced league. Part of the draw of the PL (beyond language and traditional filial ties with the UK) is how competitive and dynamic the league is. Also that teams have the spending power to draw good players up and down the table.

Cloud7

In a way they have made their own bed. Barca’s/RM insistence on the lions share of revenues in Spain led to a severely unbalanced league. Part of the draw of the PL (beyond language and traditional filial ties with the UK) is how competitive and dynamic the league is. Also that teams have the spending power to draw good players up and down the table.
Exactly. They caused this situation for themselves by doing their ridiculously selfish TV deals in the past. Now they want other teams to help them pick up the slack. That's one of the reasons, among many others, I will NEVER be in favor of the super league.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Exactly. They caused this situation for themselves by doing their ridiculously selfish TV deals in the past. Now they want other teams to help them pick up the slack. That's one of the reasons, among many others, I will NEVER be in favor of the super league.
One of the many reason why I'll never have any sympathy for either of them.

Nanook

the Nordic deal was up 20%, it didn’t double.