Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Redstain

Everyones "known" it because they all listened to the same journos who started out with a review was happening pre end of the season. To then he is 100% sacked. McKenna is likely out next manager. To then actually the review is happening post fa cup. To then actually they are still deciding. To then coming up with any excuse why a review will still be happening.

If you can't see that the journos know f all about the situation and are just backtracking whilst making stories for clicks, then there is no point continuing this discussion.

The club don't need to respond to media bs and a redcafe frenzy. They have done their review, in fact EtH said as much, but everyone prefers to listen to the journos they complain know f all any other time but are happy to believe as gospel when it suits.
Erik said himself in a interview during the FA cup final he doesn't know if he's in the job next season.

Silence is not a show of support, it's the opposite there's no clarity behind the club's intentions and how the manager aligns with them.

No one in the hierarchy for almost 4 months has unequivocally came out and said through a statement or quote that Erik is the manager for the foreseeable future. The Ratcliffe interview in hindsight was a deflection when asked if he backed the manager changed the narrative to structure when it had no correlation with the direct question.

peridigm

If ETH was staying they would have come out with a statement already. The fact that it's lingering on this long means they're not convinced he's the one they want going into next season. Maybe they're still vetting replacements. Maybe they end up keeping him because the available replacements are not who they want at this point in time. Either way, it doesn't look good for ETH going forward.

NLunited

Erik said himself in a interview during the FA cup final he doesn't know if he's in the job next season.

Silence is not a show of support, it's the opposite there's no clarity behind the club's intentions and how the manager aligns with them.

No one in the hierarchy for almost 4 months has unequivocally came out and said through a statement or quote that Erik is the manager for the foreseeable future. The Ratcliffe interview in hindsight was a deflection when asked if he backed the manager changed the narrative to structure when it had no correlation with the direct question.
‘Ezza’ said the review was over and they were preparing for next season. He did not say that he didn’t know whether he would be here next season.

The media should be mostly ignored except for credible reports of other managers being sounded out and so on.

Likewise the ‘Ten Hag out’ culttists should be ignored because they do not reflect the amount of support Ten Hag still has. Polls are something like 80% pro Ten Hag on average.

It’s likely Ten Hag hasn’t been told there is a discussion going on about his future and he is planning to continue to prepare for next season. In any case, it is disrespectful and unprofessional behaviour by the club to leave things in limbo like this.

In my view they have two choices: give him his payout or confirm him staying. A contract extension is not needed or deserved; he has to earn it by turning the tide first.

We will see whether INEOS is up to the task of running this club very soon.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Are any other clubs currently going through an 'end of season review' and contemplating whether to sack their heavily underperforming manager or not?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Are any other clubs currently going through an 'end of season review'?
Doubt it mate. Just ours that takes 3 months to make decisions. Look at Chelsea for example, sacked pochettino then hired someone a week later. Barca have a manager, Bayern have their manager. All the top teams that needed new managers have got one.

astracrazy

Obviously not the last but https://www.skysports.com/football/...nager-as-owner-evangelos-marinakis-backs-boss

You must be incredibly ignorant about how the world works to think United could just let the status quo run on. After briefing multiple times that they're still reviewing the season, after briefing that they would leave major decisions like who the manager is until after the season had ended. After it comes out that we've been speaking to half a dozen different managers. Ten Hag's side briefing that he still doesn't know if he has a job to go back to.

And if this head in sand notion is because you're a Ten Hag disciple, you really shouldnt be happy at the idea of going into the season with radio silence. Because that will mean every player will be expecting him to get sacked the second we lose a couple of games, and means we wont be able to make any decent signings because prospective players wont like uncertainty in this manager position
Perhaps an example where the manager is actually still in post? You have literally demonstrated why they wouldn't do it - it means nothing. A great example.

I think you are naive, as I said. Thats pretty much all I can say about the rest of your post. You call me ignorant for apparently not knowing how the world works, by proceeding to demonstrate why you don't.

But hey, lets believe everything we read in the press. Congratulations to Southgate for becoming our new manager.

Keyser

Obviously not the last but https://www.skysports.com/football/...nager-as-owner-evangelos-marinakis-backs-boss

You must be incredibly ignorant about how the world works to think United could just let the status quo run on. After briefing multiple times that they're still reviewing the season, after briefing that they would leave major decisions like who the manager is until after the season had ended. After it comes out that we've been speaking to half a dozen different managers. Ten Hag's side briefing that he still doesn't know if he has a job to go back to.

And if this head in sand notion is because you're a Ten Hag disciple, you really shouldnt be happy at the idea of going into the season with radio silence. Because that will mean every player will be expecting him to get sacked the second we lose a couple of games, and means we wont be able to make any decent signings because prospective players wont like uncertainty in this manager position
You're calling a poster Naïve and Ignorant yet believing everything printed in the press, no mirrors in your house?

lsd

The Oracle
The fact they still havent released one 2 weeks after the season ended is a clear indication that he is gone

I don't think anyone knows I've seen posts saying the long wait means he's starting and the long wait means he's gone.

Looks like nothing will happen until he finishes his holidays whenever that will be.

If he is sacked i hope they have got his replacement sorted in this time and have already made their recruitment plans rather than just start from scratch again

Redstain

https://www.skysports.com/football/...at-potential-stay-at-old-trafford-next-season

This is why any statement from the club would be a waste on the EtH out crowd anyway. You'd only ignore it.
Interesting because if you read the article it alludes: "asked if he has been given assurances that he will remain in charge at Old Trafford next season, Ten Hag then said: "It's not necessary. We go for next season."

This has nothing to do with fans being Erik in or out it's if the club have provided a definitive stance behind the managers tenure and future and they haven't.

‘He did not say that he didn’t know whether he would be here next season.

“I don’t know [if I’ll be here next season]. The only thing I am doing is preparing, developing and progressing my team.
“This for me is a project.
“When I came in, it was a mess. We are now better.
“But we are by far not where we want to be.”

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I stated at the time that if Erik was going to be sacked after the game then the club must already have the new manager briefed and ready to go but the same article stated that we were still looking at about six candidates so I called the article bullshit which I still think it was, just a big headline grabber on the big day and that was exactly what it was.
Maybe he will be sacked but the fact is that he still has another year left on his contract and the club should not have to publicly reaffirm their support for their manager everytime something pops up in the media.
They've not given any support even once, in months of being here. Quite the opposite, in fact. The way SJR thanked everybody for the FA Cup apart from our manager, speaks volumes. If you want to put your fingers in you ears and pretend it's all made up then fine. But I believe they would have briefed even one journalist, even just one time at any point since December, that they believe Ten Hag is the man to take us forward.

hobbers

You're calling a poster Naïve and Ignorant yet believing everything printed in the press, no mirrors in your house?
And they are.

I dont believe anything that football journalists print. If you cant tell the difference between blanket reporting about things the club have obviously briefed, and uninformed crap from Jamie Jackson, Neil Custis or whoever, that's your problem.

When Kavah is on sky sports saying he's heard from ETH's camp that even 2 weeks later he doesnt know if he has a job to go back to, he's not pulling that out of thin air.

sugar_kane

Are any other clubs currently going through an 'end of season review' and contemplating whether to sack their heavily underperforming manager or not?
No and to be honest I can’t recall it ever happening before either.

More clown show bollocks from our club, new regime or not.

essao

Likewise the ‘Ten Hag out’ culttists should be ignored because they do not reflect the amount of support Ten Hag still has. Polls are something like 80% pro Ten Hag on average.

It’s likely Ten Hag hasn’t been told there is a discussion going on about his future and he is planning to continue to prepare for next season. In any case, it is disrespectful and unprofessional behaviour by the club to leave things in limbo like this.

In my view they have two choices: give him his payout or confirm him staying. A contract extension is not needed or deserved; he has to earn it by turning the tide first.

We will see whether INEOS is up to the task of running this club very soon.
I am Ten Hag out but am not a culttist. I want him out not because I have an irrational hatred for him but because the club comes first. I believe managers should be supported but only if they perform. After all they are employees and are dispensable,just like players. I have watched the games and listened to his interviews afterwards, I know there were injuries and other issues but I have come to the conclusion that he is clueless and will not take the club anywhere especially in terms of league position. Others have a contrary opinion and I respect it. As for the opinion polls, I hope that the powers-that-be will make the sack or retain decision solely based on performance data just like other business organizations do.

It is beneficial to appreciate opposing views without getting too emotional about it. If he is retained my world will not end and I will be perfectly ok with it. It is also perfectly alright to ignore me if you think I am a Ten Hag out culttist. Finally,in my humble view most of the arguments presented by the 'Ten Hag in' crowd are just an attempt to justify failure (where all the damning negative data is downplayed) and perpetuate the culture of mediocrity that has persisted since Fergie left. Once they are presented with hard cold data they resort to histrionics instead of offering persuasive counterarguments.

Last edited:

arnoldS

Why do you people belive all the bs in the media? For me it's clear as day that they haven't got a clue thats why all those bs stories come out. Complete clowns the lot.

astracrazy

Interesting because if you read the article it alludes: "asked if he has been given assurances that he will remain in charge at Old Trafford next season, Ten Hag then said: "It's not necessary. We go for next season."
Perhaps you missed the bit before that:

Asked if talks are planned for next week surrounding his future, Ten Hag said: "No, we already did that. Sunday, I go on holiday. I think I deserved it."

The fact they still havent released one 2 weeks after the season ended is a clear indication that he is gone
A bit like the example someone gave with Steve Cooper? Prime example as to why they won't.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
No and to be honest I can’t recall it ever happening before either.

More clown show bollocks from our club, new regime or not.
Has anyone inside the club ever said that the managers position is being reviewed? Are we simply falling for a collective media narrated bollocks?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Depends what you want to show really.... frankly I think stats are the worst thing about football, I use my eyes and I know what I see, and I know ETH is shite
Please don't skip the next eye-exam with a qualified doctor

Redstain

Perhaps you missed the bit before that:

Asked if talks are planned for next week surrounding his future, Ten Hag said: "No, we already did that. Sunday, I go on holiday. I think I deserved it."

A bit like the example someone gave with Steve Cooper? Prime example as to why they won't.
Then it's a contradiction, he's making conflicting statements both in the article posted and a few days later he asserts that he doesn't know if the cup final was his last game.

Two things are clear:

1. The club haven't reaffirmed the managers position
2. The manager by his own admission has a large degree of uncertainty.

Fooza

Are they only the worst kind because they aren't doing exactly what you want them to do
"end up" pal, I didn't see they were, i'm saying if they end up failing which is just as much a possibility as them being successful, juries still out.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Big day today.

Maybe.
Crickets

I am getting convinced, they won't make announcement until the end of Euros and will continue pretending it is business as usual, until July 15th and maybe even a little beyond

And then they will have audacity to sack EtH in the middle of the summer, as if it is totally normal.

It won't surprise me how we cried for football people to take over the club, we finally get it and they end up being the worst kind

it'd be united, and it'd be a curse, clearly.
Where do you see "football people"? We have neither director of football, nor the new CEO, and the only person in the room who knows football is Blanc, and reportedly he wants to keep EtH but is getting overruled

Not to mention that our incoming director of football is an overhyped clown that appointed Southgate during his time at FA, a horrible appointment that very likely has cost England trophies during the time when it has one of the most talented squads in its entire history

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

How can this in anyway be compared with what happened in Steve Coopers case? this is Man Utd the biggest club in the country, if the managers future is being discussed heavilly in the media they they absolutely have to release a statement clarifying what is and isnt happening.

Gavinb33

"end up" pal, I didn't see they were, i'm saying if they end up failing which is just as much a possibility as them being successful, juries still out.
Well yes they might but judging them after this amount of time is just silly, and it's not all going to be an upward curve progress is not as linear as some would have you believe

astracrazy

And they are.

I dont believe anything that football journalists print. If you cant tell the difference between blanket reporting about things the club have obviously briefed, and uninformed crap from Jamie Jackson, Neil Custis or whoever, that's your problem.

When Kavah is on sky sports saying he's heard from ETH's camp that even 2 weeks later he doesnt know if he has a job to go back to, he's not pulling that out of thin air.
You literally just wrote out everything they have printed in the last month or so....

Is this the same Kavah that was claiming EtH had lost the dressing room in December?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How can this in anyway be compared with what happened in Steve Coopers case? this is Man Utd the biggest club in the country, if the managers future is being discussed heavilly in the media they they absolutely have to release a statement clarifying what is and isnt happening.
They absolutely do not. That’s a bizarre leap of logic.

astracrazy

Its no different. Its exactly the kind of thing people are calling for and thats a prime example as why they won't, because it means nothing.

astracrazy

They absolutely do need to release a statement whether he is staying or not but they havent yet because he has gone and they are waiting for him to return from holiday to announce it.
:lol: best post of the day. Nothing says I believe everything I read more than this.

You forgot to add before announcing Southgate as our next manager though....

jamesjimmybyrondean

I do like how Ineos is making every journalist and itk scramble and prove they don’t know anything. Through out this week one of them would come out to say “todays the day”

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Silence is an option. It shows EtH position was never in question in the first place and it was all media speculation which was ignored. Absolutely no need to release statements that we have actually decided to keep EtH - it will add fuel to the fire and would show it was in question.

The journos have gone from 100% sacked, to review next week finishing soon, to barely making comments about it. A complete back down.

And to be quiet honest, the only frenzy I see about this is on this forum anyway.
Silence is an option if the club doesn't care about having a healthy atmosphere around players, coaches and the manager.

Current situation at United:
Journalist: will Ten Hag be United manager next season?
Club: no comments.

You think this can continue indefinitely without affecting the football side?

Owners need to move one way or another. I am certain ETH will go so I'm not too bothered about no decision yet.

RatPack

We get a new crap coach keep the same crap players. Fans demand a clear playing style.
Only one choice then.
New song for next season
OHH LETS PARK THE BUS LA LALA LALA ........

astracrazy

What part of his statement did he confirm the owners have told him he’s staying for next season?

Point it out. I promise I won’t ignore it.

Asked if he has been given assurances that he will remain in charge at Old Trafford next season, Ten Hag then said: "It's not necessary. We go for next season."

stevoc

I actually don’t think we’d have done any better with any other manager who persisted with the same nonsensical tactics last season. If we had Poch we’d have probably lost the FA cup final. Like he bottles all finals.
Is more like it.

essao

We get a new crap coach keep the same crap players. Fans demand a clear playing style.
Only one choice then.
New song for next season
OHH LETS PARK THE BUS LA LALA LALA ........
So the solution is to retain the old crap coach?

stevoc

Says who though?

Well it is, the rest is pure speculation. In fact its ignoring any previous comments that have come from SJR.
You think the new owners just watched the club have their worst domestic and european campaigns in 4 decades and haven't for one second questioned whether or not they should replace the manager who presided over that?