Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Just think he will be the kind of 'buy me my toys now' kind of manager with no long term intention rather than the 'I'm here for the project' long term planner that we need. How can you not be short termist when you don't have the personality to stay longer than two years anywhere?
What's your definition of short-term and long-term?

The manager should be focused mostly on the current season, a bit on the next season, and maybe a tiny amount on the following season after that. It's everyone else in the footballing structure who should be focused more on the long-term, while the manager focuses on getting the most out of the playing squad that he has. Obviously that happens under the brief that the higher-ups give him though, so slightly worse results this season to put us in a better position next season should be fine if the expectation is to change the style of football played.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
United had top managers since Ferguson retired and none of them were truly successful.
INEOS concluded that it is the overall set up that doesn't allow the managers to be successful. Now coming in with that premise, would they suddenly decide to change the manager before allowing him to work under what they consider to be a proper organisation. Seems illogical.
I bet SJR is regretting saying that now

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The best part of ETH going is not having to see these posts anymore. Don't you get tired Sarni mate? You've been using this sthick daily for around a year now.
It's 6 months maximum.

hobbers

Jackson is a piece of shit.

Swear every major transfer saga he does nothing but troll. Every manager saga he does nothing but troll.

Bitter little ABU who spends his life writing about the thing he hates

Cantonagotmehere

Wow, really!!

INEOS, heroes to villains in less than six months. At this rate the Glazers will be back in charge of football before the season starts. :lol:
It's comical. How is this a mess? This is a huge decision. I want clarity, but glad they are not rushing it. Feel bad for ETH, but here or elsewhere he will land on his feet.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Swear every major transfer saga he does nothing but troll. Every manager saga he does nothing but troll.

He is the kind of reporter that creates drama out of nowhere just to blame the club for the drama surrounding it. His silliness is amusing and infuriating at the same time.

Cantonagotmehere

True but it was a huge story that wasn’t denied to the point of the question was being asked of the manager multiple times on live TV. Again it’s been weeks if it was bollocks they could have released a statement or even let the press know off the record
I have have no idea how anyone would believe a 'breaking story' from the Brit press. No reason for the club to commit on the rags one bit.

GlazersHater

How freaking incompetent are we? How in hell do we take 2 weeks to evaluate a manager after the season it's over. It's like we hadn't done any of the analysis before and just started after the season finished.

This decision should've been made a long time ago, unless we're stupid enough to base it on the FA Cup final. Its simply either we trust ten Hag or not. So frustrating how slow we work, just like our transfers.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Is it feck :lol:

I'm going to level with you, it's really boring.
May be more than that indeed. 6 months ago was December and I'm sure I started before then.

Many more months to go... but honestly once we confirm his new contract I'll probably let it go and just accept.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

This. I really thought he was gone, hadn't heard anything from him in years. The Guardian became unreadable when he was our 'correspondent'.

Robbie Boy

May be more than that indeed. 6 months ago was December and I'm sure I started before then.

Many more months to go... but honestly once we confirm his new contract I'll probably let it go and just accept.
I mean, in one sense I have to hand to you, you're fecking relentless and that takes real dedication.

I hope you can make peace with whatever the outcome is, I truly do.

Robbie Boy

I'm shocked to learn this bloke is 'journalist' :lol:

I genuinely thought he was just some cock with a Twitter account.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I admit he's short termist and can live with that, however if he can get us back in Champions League spots then could make us more attractive to an Alonso/Nagelsmann in 2/3 seasons.
See I think that's our problem. Short term thinking. I would happily blow off next season and the one after if it meant we were building towards a return to the elite. Of course the word 'if' is doing a lot of work in that sentence.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Great post this.

People who think oh change manager and it will be sorted are deluded. Its so evident what has been happening at this club, sack manager, get a good start with new manager, cracks open up again.

We end up playing similar football at the end of every managers reign and we get comments like "worst football ever" I am sure I read those at the end of Jose's tenure, Oles tenure and now under Ten Hag. We are asking the same question every 2 years.

Most fans say, change the manager, it will sort it.
I'm definitely not saying sacking ETH is the only change that needs to be done. It still needs to be done and it needs to be done before preseason.
The difference between ETH now and Jose, Ole, LVG and even Moyes at the end of their reigns is that we are actually playing the worst football ever this time. At least the last 40 years.

There's zero indications that ETH will turn anyhing around, but we do know that this season we got worse at every measurable metric in football.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
How freaking incompetent are we? How in hell do we take 2 weeks to evaluate a manager after the season it's over. It's like we hadn't done any of the analysis before and just started after the season finished.

This decision should've been made a long time ago, unless we're stupid enough to base it on the FA Cup final. Its simply either we trust ten Hag or not. So frustrating how slow we work, just like our transfers.
INCOMPETENTCAF

Wonder what the word of the season will be this year for the Caf?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I hope we have clarity by the end of the week, one way or the other. I’m fine with any decision, and I admit, it is a tough one. But it is time to move on and plan the new season rather soon

UTD_Since_1978

While talking to other managers and negotiating contracts with them. Really respectful.

They should have had it clear before the FA Cup final if they knew he was going on vacation.
Let's face facts here, UTD sacked LVG straight after the FA Cup Final, there was no waiting & quite rightly so, EtH & his team's performances have been clear to see, "a review" lasting days or weeks should never have been needed, the fact he hasn't been fired yet means he will be Man Utd manager next season.