Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Neville failed at Valencia,so he will always play it safe and back managers from now on
Sure, except when it's his club and he's the one making the decision to hire and fire. Hasn't shown the same level of patience there.

Stated preferences vs. revealed preferences

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Sure, except when it's his club and he's the one making the decision to hire and fire. Hasn't shown the same level of patience there.

And that's not the only thing he's done in regards to stated preferences and revealed preferences, but that's off topic! :D

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Onana is statistically one of the best goalkeepers in the league. The main difference is that we had a settled back line.
There's no way you watch us week in, week out and type that out.

He saves easy to medium easy shots and fumbles medium to hard shots. That Mateta goal was a travesty and it's for a couple of similar 'mistakes' we threw DdG out of the club.

And it's not like Onana is faultless with his passing because we often go long and he's useless there as well.

big_jeffstar

I’m not massively Ten Hag in or anything, but all of this seems a little unfair.. he’s studied the way Everton like to play, and then they do the opposite (probably because every team in the league knows that we’re terrible and pressing us is an easy way to guarantees chances) but still.. his job is to prepare for the team we’re about to play, he can’t see into the future and realise Everton will completely change their tactics..
what’s missing here is a plan B, we don’t have one, and that’s my main issue with Ten Hag..
“If they want to press, this is what we do” … that needs to be bread and butter, because as soon as they realise they can’t press.. they’ll revert to form, then your plan can actually take shape.
we watch this for 90 minutes every week… every single team we play presses us.. fix it

stevoc

Reminds me of the Sunday Supplement where every journalist’s opinion about who was a good player seemed to be almost entirely based on who had allowed themselves to be interviewed the previous week. Bonus points for picking the journo from the train station and being polite to staff in front of them.
Does Neville ever think it's the right time for a manager to be sacked? He we gave ETH another year he'd likely say the same thing next May. Some people just believe for whatever reason believe manager + time = success.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I’m not massively Ten Hag in or anything, but all of this seems a little unfair.. he’s studied the way Everton like to play, and then they do the opposite (probably because every team in the league knows that we’re terrible and pressing us is an easy way to guarantees chances) but still.. his job is to prepare for the team we’re about to play, he can’t see into the future and realise Everton will completely change their tactics..
what’s missing here is a plan B, we don’t have one, and that’s my main issue with Ten Hag..
“If they want to press, this is what we do” … that needs to be bread and butter, because as soon as they realise they can’t press.. they’ll revert to form, then your plan can actually take shape.
we watch this for 90 minutes every week… every single team we play presses us.. fix it
Agree with most of this. This is something that can happen, and all teams are sometimes surprised by how the other team lines up. Sometimes they immediately are able to deal with it, sometimes the surprise really works.

But this story also tells us something about how other managers see United. When Sean fecking Dyche thinks it's a good idea to just go for it in Old Trafford, than you know that there isn't a lot of respect left for United's current team.

big_jeffstar

Agree with most of this. This is something that can happen, and all teams are sometimes surprised by how the other team lines up. Sometimes they immediately are able to deal with it, sometimes the surprise really works.

But this story also tells us something about how other managers see United. When Sean fecking Dyche thinks it's a good idea to just go for it in Old Trafford, than you know that there isn't a lot of respect left for United's current team.
I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s a lack of respect, they lost the match at the end of the day, they just know where the weakness is, and it’s an area we’ve always struggled with, we go into every game assuming we’ll have the majority of possession “because we’re man united” .. the only quick way to fix it now is to sign press resistant midfielders and pray Martinez doesn’t get injured for an entire season again

BorisManUtd

His comments make you think board is behind them.* Which would be a shame because I don't think there's much more fighting spirit left for him amongst players. 4-0 to Palace will probably be followed with similar results and losses against Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton and City. Carragher says we're one of the worst coached teams in the Premier League and watching our games you can't argue with him.

Injuries excuse is valid but we had periods and games with most of the players in starting 11 and it did not look good. We're actually experiencing same like with previous managers - as their tenures approach ending, we look worse and worse. It's always solid/good first season, followed by poor second (or third) where our performances (never mind results) get worse.

*Or maybe it's just him saving face and making it look less bad thinking of his future job at some other club.

leontas

When is he going to take some responsibility and stop blaming everything on the injuries? I understand we’ve had a huge injury crisis in our central defence and left back areas, but that doesn’t absolve him from his terrible tactics. We consistently concede 20+ shots per game because of the way he sets us up, not because of our injured back line. Similarly we’ve had limited injuries in our attacking areas, but our attacking output is similarly bad. There’s too many tactical and in-game management issues that can’t be absolved by “oh, it’s just the injuries”.

hobbers

Between that leak and the sight of Antony and mount arguing after the palace game, maybe the egg comment was true after all.

The Firestarter

Does Neville ever think it's the right time for a manager to be sacked? He we gave ETH another year he'd likely say the same thing next May. Some people just believe for whatever reason believe manager + time = success.
Only when he's the one doing the sacking.

Marching On!

Common sense also dictates the more shots you face, the more likely you are to concede goals. Heh?

hobbers

Imagine if his own marquee signing adoptive son from Ajax is now leaking to the press about him

crossy1686

career ending
It's truly mental and like something out of the Office. I mean imagine a guy planning for something like that then being truly dumbstruck about what to do about it. Mental.
It just shows you his level. He's used to shite teams in Holland having one way of playing and being able to plan for that. As soon as he comes up against a manager that can adapt to who they're playing he's totally out of his depth.

stevoc

When is he going to take some responsibility and stop blaming everything on the injuries? I understand we’ve had a huge injury crisis in our central defence and left back areas, but that doesn’t absolve him from his terrible tactics. We consistently concede 20+ shots per game because of the way he sets us up, not because of our injured back line. Similarly we’ve had limited injuries in our attacking areas, but our attacking output is similarly bad. There’s too many tactical and in-game management issues that can’t be absolved by “oh, it’s just the injuries”.
Never probably.

mu4c_20le

It's truly mental and like something out of the Office. I mean imagine a guy planning for something like that then being truly dumbstruck about what to do about it. Mental.
We trusted this guy with the keys to the club. It's also on us.

Longshanks

Anyone that has watched Everton at all this season will tell you they have no problem getting up the pitch and pressing high. Shaun dyche used to get his Burnley team up the pitch and pressing aswell. So really not a surprise at all. I wasn't surprised at all watching it.

chris123

Definately, if a lot of what Alice posted is true as well

The briefing has started, he's gone. But I'm sorry, players being turned off by "long tactical meetings" need to get in the bin and out of this club. How would any of these lot cope playing for perfectionists like Guardiola?

AndySmith1990

He will never take any responsibility for his mistakes. That alone makes for a bad manager, in any job

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

He has. He’s had managers for 3 years and 2 years hasn’t he? He admitted he fecked up not getting rid of a manger during the summer and then when the season started and he was sacked the nee manager didn’t work out me accepted that too so left. Hence 3 managers in a season giving bad optics