Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I think actual football professionals look at it with a little more balance and common sense than your average social media fan who first and foremost want to be right. The uncertainty now is mostly due to the fact that since SAF retired we never had any reputable football professionals bar the managers themselves, nor was there ever any desire to hire one as the club was doing its job as a money front.

Then you have people in this thread that would rather downplay what the Glazers have done to this club than admit ETH had to deal with any kind of adversity. Never mind that Ragnik and van Gaal, who have forgotten more football than any of us will ever know, said there needs to be a complete overhaul up top and in the squad for the club to compete for the League/CL.
Many posters think it was just a matter of money.
Why so many wanted Qatar.

SJR is rebuilding a football Structure in addition to addressing the Stadium and other facilities.
We had not been run as a football club since the Glazers took over.
But even before them, Fergie was not given a blank check though we were run as a football club.
But the fact we had a football structure helped with what he wanted to do to produce title winning teams.

No football manger is perfect. Of course Erik had made mistakes.
But just look at how he has developed players.

McT and Maguire were to be sold for example.
Both have improved so much.

We can talk about many others.

With the new structure Erik will primarily need to concentrate on the first team.
He will of course have inputs in other areas.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
My faith in ETH is so low, that even after a monumental victory against the bin dippers, I'm half expecting us to go to Brentford and struggle.
I loved the win against Liverpool. But at the same time we were incredibly fortunate to score when we did. It was a bit of a freak result all things considered and shouldn't be using it as a measure of our normal form.

I'm fully expecting us to struggle against Brentford. We don't do well against organised teams away. It's generally a guarantee that we'll drop points.

UDontMessWith24

SJR is rebuilding a football Structure in addition to addressing the Stadium and other facilities.
But even before them, Fergie was not given a blank check though we were run as a football club.
But the fact we had a football structure helped with what he wanted to do to produce title winning teams.

But just look at how he has developed players.

With the new structure Erik will primarily need to concentrate on the first team.
The lack departures hindered Ole as well but more so from a dressing room harmony pov. At Liverpool or City if a manager wants a player gone for whatever the reason, they’re gone no questions asked.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Here’s hoping he can turn it around with another signing or two this summer. That’s pretty much a new team then. Nobody is asking him to go out and win the league when we currently lag behind on so many metrics but the least you can do is challenge and develop the players who look like they genuinely want to play for him. I would like to think for example if ETH survives this season that someone like Rashford will have gotten past his issues and will be hungry to lead the team into this new chapter. I’d hate to see the same thing happen under the next manger and so on.

I think he’s been here long enough to have built a foundation and relationships that can and should be built upon. Such as with Rasmus Mainoo and Garnacho. Maybe he can get Antony playing? What was his actual plan for Mount? There’s a lot there still to be resolved. If we can replace Varane and Casemiro well and key players stay fit and motivated then we can beat anyone. It’s just about getting that belief around the club again that we aren’t going to stop until we are the best and getting everyone working together to that end. I think next season could be transformative if we start off on the right foot.

DSG

Why are you even talking about historical achievements of past it manager when we are talking about current managers.

Was Jose great manager? Yes.
Is he great manager or even good manager who should be discussed? No.

Anyone who thinks EtH is a mediocre manager doesn't know how to rate players and managers, they will just talk in extremes. There are many good managers who didn't work out well at different clubs, EtH had good season and now he is struggling. As simple as that, not sure why people think talking in extremes to make their point is important.

The list, it's like putting Messi and Hazard in same category. Both elite dribblers but world apart in what they achieved and their quality.
I see. So, let me get this straight. Your theorem is anyone who thinks Ten Hag is a mediocre manager “doesn’t know how to rate managers” oh and players too and we talk in extremes.

How is saying Ten Hag is a mediocre manager an extreme? If I said he was the worst manager ever or the best manager ever, those would be an example of extremes.

Secondly, I gave several categories / factors in rating a manager: results, stats, trophies, tactics, eye test and transfers. He’s been pretty much mediocre in every area. Tell me, since Ten Hag has been at United, what did you see that made you think, “wow, this guy is a really good manager”. Seriously. I’d love to know what your criteria are for rating a manager since you seem to know better than I do. What great alchemy of reason and logic brought you to the conclusion that ETH is a great manager???

‘I think you and several others in the Ten Hag cult want him to be a great manager so badly, you’re ignoring the facts in front of your face. And despite not really having anything to point to as evidence that he’s a good manager, you attack people who actually have looked at it objectively and have analyzed the situation based on data.

And another thing, we compare players, managers, club as contemporaries and in different eras. It’s what we do. It is legitimate to compare Rafa Benitez with Erik Ten Hag in terms of accomplishments because they are both football managers.

DSG

:yawn: It’s clear you have an irrational agenda against the manager clouding your view, thus making conversation around the issue impossible. Have a great day.
How is looking at facts irrational? You’re labeling it irrational because it’s a conclusion that you don’t like, when in fact it’s a conclusion that is based on results, performances, stats, tactics and everything we’ve watched over the last 2 seasons.

An irrational agenda would be one that would support a position despite the facts pointing to the opposite conclusion.

Borninthe80ts

I think actual football professionals look at it with a little more balance and common sense than your average social media fan who first and foremost want to be right. The uncertainty now is mostly due to the fact that since SAF retired we never had any reputable football professionals bar the managers themselves, nor was there ever any desire to hire one as the club was doing its job as a money front.

Then you have people in this thread that would rather downplay what the Glazers have done to this club than admit ETH had to deal with any kind of adversity. Never mind that Ragnik and van Gaal, who have forgotten more football than any of us will ever know, said there needs to be a complete overhaul up top and in the squad for the club to compete for the League/CL.
I would agree with this as a general but I think you also have pundits that follow the crowd too and fail to point out why things have gone wrong or provide insight. There’s definitely an element of wanting to prove some sort of superior knowledge or insight when it’s mostly opinions rather than facts. Sir Ferguson did have a lot of power and that vacuum has yet to be filled adequately so unhappiness is to be expected. However hopefully these fundamental issues are being addressed.

It’s mainly as you say though the logic that some apply to our current situation that makes me take pause for thought. It’s like the context that explain decisions and circumstances are irrelevant. This isn’t to say that there’s no responsibility on the players or manager but they can’t all just be crap or not good enough. Hopefully the culture reset proves successful.

UDontMessWith24

Martial should have been gone long ago.
Ronaldo should never have been brought back.
These were not football decisions.
What's worse is it eroded the standard of the expectations that come along with a United shirt. Under SAF (and Pep/Klopp for that matter) players had to earn the right to wear that shirt, and if they didn't they were gone. At almost any other big club in the world, when a new manager comes in and there are players that don't fit the style of football he wants to play, the club moves them on. ETH has not even had the opportunity to work under this structure in any substantial way, I.E a summer transfer window.

UDontMessWith24

How is looking at facts irrational? You’re labeling it irrational because it’s a conclusion that you don’t like, when in fact it’s a conclusion that is based on results, performances, stats, tactics and everything we’ve watched over the last 2 seasons.

An irrational agenda would be one that would support a position despite the facts pointing to the opposite conclusion.
Your personal eye test is a fact now? I'll take that with a grain of salt given you can't wrap your head around the actual fact that last season was successful.

RedRocket08

I would agree with this as a general but I think you also have pundits that follow the crowd too and fail to point out why things have gone wrong or provide insight. There’s definitely an element of wanting to prove some sort of superior knowledge or insight when it’s mostly opinions rather than facts. Sir Ferguson did have a lot of power and that vacuum has yet to be filled adequately so unhappiness is to be expected. However hopefully these fundamental issues are being addressed.

It’s mainly as you say though the logic that some apply to our current situation that makes me take pause for thought. It’s like the context that explain decisions and circumstances are irrelevant. This isn’t to say that there’s no responsibility on the players or manager but they can’t all just be crap or not good enough. Hopefully the culture reset proves successful.
Yeah this is the issue for me as well, there was all this talk about Southgate to United from the pundits and mainstream media because they had no United material for 2 weeks, then when England didn't blow away their opposition in these friendlies they found a new target in Southgate to keep their audience engaged, and if United lose/draw or pull off a scrappy win this weekend it's back to ETH out/Southgate-in. Same for the other underperforming teams like Chelsea or Bayern or Barca: There's no real insight from their years of active participation in the game on what's actually causing the problems, and how ETH can actually fix them. There's no real insight on how Southgate can fix England's issues either. That's all clearly intentional though, because sensationalist reporting/headlines gets views.

ETH said it himself, constructive criticism about what he / players can do to improve is good, but a lot of journalists/pundits want attention so slandering/belittling is the way - it's like they've all done a marketing degree run by Donald Trump :lol:

In fact, I think there are probably a couple fan / general football analysis channels that give better insights than a lot of pundits. Out of the MSM, I find that Henry Winter, a veteran journalist and Melissa Reddy (Liverpool fan!) have been doing the most unbiased, fact/context based reporting on United - Neither are ETH in/out, but both try to highlight the underlying issues that have led ETH/players to struggle, and how the new club hierarchy are actually interpreting all this.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I see. So, let me get this straight. Your theorem is anyone who thinks Ten Hag is a mediocre manager “doesn’t know how to rate managers” oh and players too and we talk in extremes.

How is saying Ten Hag is a mediocre manager an extreme? If I said he was the worst manager ever or the best manager ever, those would be an example of extremes.

Secondly, I gave several categories / factors in rating a manager: results, stats, trophies, tactics, eye test and transfers. He’s been pretty much mediocre in every area. Tell me, since Ten Hag has been at United, what did you see that made you think, “wow, this guy is a really good manager”. Seriously. I’d love to know what your criteria are for rating a manager since you seem to know better than I do. What great alchemy of reason and logic brought you to the conclusion that ETH is a great manager???

‘I think you and several others in the Ten Hag cult want him to be a great manager so badly, you’re ignoring the facts in front of your face. And despite not really having anything to point to as evidence that he’s a good manager, you attack people who actually have looked at it objectively and have analyzed the situation based on data.

And another thing, we compare players, managers, club as contemporaries and in different eras. It’s what we do. It is legitimate to compare Rafa Benitez with Erik Ten Hag in terms of accomplishments because they are both football managers.
Not sure where to start with this, anyways anyone who talks on extremes doesn't know how to rate players and managers, and that's what you did when you jumped from mediocre to All time great in the first post I quoted.

And the nonsense about the cult, just because someone says EtH isn't a mediocre manager doesn't mean they support him and want him as ManUtd manager. It's not really difficult concept.

Managers will have shit seasons just like players, it's nothing new either.

DSG

Not sure where to start with this, anyways anyone who talks on extremes doesn't know how to rate players and managers, and that's what you did when you jumped from mediocre to All time great in the first post I quoted.

And the nonsense about the cult, just because someone says EtH isn't a mediocre manager doesn't mean they support him and want him as ManUtd manager. It's not really difficult concept.

Managers will have shit seasons just like players, it's nothing new either.
For your first statement, I think we are on different wavelengths, it’s probably better to just move along.

I agree with the second, you can think ETH is a good manager but simultaneously not want him at United. I can also think he’s mediocre and not want him at United. Also not difficult to grasp.

For the last, I also agree, but the truly all time great managers, like SAF and Pep were /are pretty damn consistent.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
What's worse is it eroded the standard of the expectations that come along with a United shirt. Under SAF (and Pep/Klopp for that matter) players had to earn the right to wear that shirt, and if they didn't they were gone. At almost any other big club in the world, when a new manager comes in and there are players that don't fit the style of football he wants to play, the club moves them on. ETH has not even had the opportunity to work under this structure in any substantial way, I.E a summer transfer window.
You are right.
I am not pro Erik.
I am against those who are blindly against Erik.
I am pro SJR.
The moment it became obvious it was a choice between SJR and Qatar, I was for SJR though I did not have enough details about what he wanted to do.
I know I laugh at City and Newcastle. But really none of these Oil States should be anywhere near the English game.
They are not interested in the long term future of any club. It is all about self glorification.
They think their money gives them legitimacy.

Dannn411

Did we, or was the football structure Fergie himself? I'm leaning toward the latter.
At the beginning he would have had to defer for sure but by the time he won his second title, he became THE structure on the footballing side at least till he retired. The thought of someone overruling Sir Alex on a signing or footballing initative at the club is too funny.

croadyman

There are lots of very good managers out there, but not many who have the personality to manage a club like MU.

Of those there is probably no one who wants to come here until the club is in better shape.

Erik was told by his colleagues and friends NOT to take this job. We will find out whether they were right.
Who do you think has that personality?

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think people overrate the personality aspect. Pep was a robot for years until he won so much he sort of doesn't care anymore. I wouldn't care about Ten Hag being so boring either if he was an elite coach and I'm sure many fans feel similarly. Likewise, LVG and Mourinho were brilliant in press conferences at times but the charm wore off when their football weighed on us.

As long as the manager has a backbone to manage big personalities and make hard decisions within a squad, he can be a mute for all I care.

NLunited

I‘m not sure, I could name a couple names I don‘t want here though. I‘m not talking about someone who talks a lot: it‘s about commanding respect and being able to be strict without alienating everyone.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Having not been in here for almost the entirety of the Mainia fortnight, I had forgotten how groundhog day depressing this thread is.

Egads, let the club game resume. Pronto.

croadyman

I'm ETH out but not ETH out at all costs, we have to replace him with the right manager not just any manager. No to Southgate, Potter and Mourinho.
Yeah that's exactly how I feel as well,there are better options out there than any of those 3

AneRu

But just look at how he has developed players

This is key and would have been noticed by the higher ups. His first half of the season was dreadful and he deserved the sack for that only but we have had a mini revival and nmhe has earned the chance to see out the season and be assessed after that.

He has given us Mainoo and Garnacho, if these players stay on the right trajectory, we are talking about £120m to £150m saved on fees to get similar types of players through the door. So if he stays you just know that he'd be fielding a team with a high percentage of academy graduates in the squad in five years time.

But for me his staying is conditional on him adjusting or completely dumping whatever nonsense he had us doing this season. Either he gets more physicality in midfield and defence to improve how we deal with transitions and improve our play on the ball in attack or he reverts to more conventional possession football. We need more control of games

Pronewbie

Peep
This is key and would have been noticed by the higher ups. His first half of the season was dreadful and he deserved the sack for that only but we have had a mini revival and nmhe has earned the chance to see out the season and be assessed after that.

He has given us Mainoo and Garnacho, if these players stay on the right trajectory, we are talking about £120m to £150m saved on fees to get similar types of players through the door. So if he stays you just know that he'd be fielding a team with a high percentage of academy graduates in the squad in five years time.

But for me his staying is conditional on him adjusting or completely dumping whatever nonsense he had us doing this season. Either he gets more physicality in midfield and defence to improve how we deal with transitions and improve our play on the ball in attack or he reverts to more conventional possession football. We need more control of games
For far too long we lamented about how players tend to stagnate or deteriorate after joining our first team, so ETH deserves a lot of credit for changing that perception. It's very important in attracting bigger talents, too, so you're right that he is very attractive to Ratcliffe and co.

Anyway I just watched a review of last season's performances and I think ETH deserves another season if the team can scrap a European spot and get into the FA Cup Final. Just dramatically reduce his power on transfers because it's a glaring weakness.

At the end of the day it's all about teamwork so bring in a good Director of Football that can help with signings and planning longer term. ETH has a proven track record of improving players. Win-win.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

This is probably the most exciting positive for keeping ETH. Besides Mainoo and Garnacho, he's also introduced Willy Kambwala who I feel will eventually find his way into the first team consistently. Then there's also good purchases in Hoijlund and Martinez. He's improved Dalot immensely, has played to McT's strengths. He's done a lot of good, he just has done a lot of rubbish as well.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I have a hunch ETH might hang onto his job even if we finish 6th because of the way he's handled the emergence of Hojland, Garnacho and Mainoo. If he can keep doing that then we will be title winners in 5 years without a huge outlay. That has to be very attractive to INEOS.
:lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I am so glad we beat Liverpool and we’ve had the emergence of Mainoo (someone Ten Hag kept a squad space open for since pre season) because a little bit of the optimism is now present here that maybe Ten Hag could do a good job here.

And I will take that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Results in the 3 games this next week will go a long way to decide his fate at the end of the season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I wonder, with Alonso staying put and ETH having coached their B team, would Bayern be looking at him for the coaching role? Probably not!
He allegedly was on their shortlist multiple times already but they decided to go for someone else (if I am not mistaken Flick, Nagelsmann, Kovac, Ancelotti) every time.
But currently there seem to be no rumours about him

Chumpsbechumps

I am so glad we beat Liverpool and we’ve had the emergence of Mainoo (someone Ten Hag kept a squad space open for since pre season) because a little bit of the optimism is now present here that maybe Ten Hag could do a good job here.

And I will take that.
Potter, De Zerbi and Southgate rumours have probably done as much for ETH support as the Liverpool win

But I’m actually feeling really good about the squeezing into top 4 run in. This must be how wenger used to feel.

I also think a Strong league finish would make an fa cup final against city a much closer tie. I think ETH has shown remarkable ability to kind of feck with Pool/city by not playing as they expected. It worked in first half against city and Liverpool. It did trail off in second halves but with most of our players back I feel more confident he can mess around with more flexibility.

TsuWave

Sacking ETH to employ De Zerbi, Potter or even worse Southgate would be bonkers.
Ten Hag really doesn't have the pedigree to justify these statements. I don't know why people's perception of him is so inflated. But I do think a Southgate appointment would send me to Arkham Asylum

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Potter, De Zerbi and Southgate rumours have probably done as much for ETH support as the Liverpool win

But I’m actually feeling really good about the squeezing into top 4 run in. This must be how wenger used to feel.

I also think a Strong league finish would make an fa cup final against city a much closer tie. I think ETH has shown remarkable ability to kind of feck with Pool/city by not playing as they expected. It worked in first half against city and Liverpool. It did trail off in second halves but with most of our players back I feel more confident he can mess around with more flexibility.
Unless EtH is top 2, with 3 - 0 wins every week, playing CL final stages, playing cream to the top line-like passing football from minute 1 to 95 people will sow seed about his career being on the line. That is part and parcel of being a United Manager.

Me, I'm looking forward to tomorrow. A win against Brentford, Spurs drawing or losing from Luton, Wolverhampton schooling Villa would do nicely. A winner scored by sub Antony's right foot again please, also for more fun in here. Let's go!

Borninthe80ts

Yeah this is the issue for me as well, there was all this talk about Southgate to United from the pundits and mainstream media because they had no United material for 2 weeks, then when England didn't blow away their opposition in these friendlies they found a new target in Southgate to keep their audience engaged, and if United lose/draw or pull off a scrappy win this weekend it's back to ETH out/Southgate-in. Same for the other underperforming teams like Chelsea or Bayern or Barca: There's no real insight from their years of active participation in the game on what's actually causing the problems, and how ETH can actually fix them. There's no real insight on how Southgate can fix England's issues either. That's all clearly intentional though, because sensationalist reporting/headlines gets views.

ETH said it himself, constructive criticism about what he / players can do to improve is good, but a lot of journalists/pundits want attention so slandering/belittling is the way - it's like they've all done a marketing degree run by Donald Trump :lol:

In fact, I think there are probably a couple fan / general football analysis channels that give better insights than a lot of pundits. Out of the MSM, I find that Henry Winter, a veteran journalist and Melissa Reddy (Liverpool fan!) have been doing the most unbiased, fact/context based reporting on United - Neither are ETH in/out, but both try to highlight the underlying issues that have led ETH/players to struggle, and how the new club hierarchy are actually interpreting all this.
For me though I can understand the papers and websites will write these things because as you say they have product to sell and your right sensational headlines sell. It’s more rational minded people believing the reports or reacting in an overall negative fashion. Even if it’s something you don’t like, why get so mad? Pundits actually spout nonsense now I believe as they get clicks and create attention. Mad times we live in. I used to like Serie A coverage back in the day. Felt football focused.

It’s weird you mention the press missing or ignoring the critical analysis from the manager. I think this links into criticism I’ve seen of Ten Hags personality too. It’s like if his not entertaining then it’s boring or irrelevant. Definitely Trump like fake news vibes :wenger: I prefer him being grey and successful!

In relation to good reporting or views I did see the comments about On

Yeah we’re definitely in the era of sensational headlines win and I believe that websites and pundits actively create controversy now for clicks. I can understand as they have product to see but it’s more folks reacting. We don’t have to believe everything that’s written and take it as negatively. Theres a lot of cliches used and little information given. Even there opinions when challenged seem to lack foundations at times.

It’s interesting that you mention the media ignoring when the manager makes constructive comments. I’ve seen Ten Hags personality criticised recently and I think this plays into it too. It’s like if the information isn’t delivered with ‘personality’ it’s fake news! Very Donald Trump :wenger:

I’ve seen Nedum Onuoha get some positive reviews in the media thread by some posters and I’ve watched Henry Winter in the past on the Tabloid show that was on Sky Sports. I appreciate the recommendations though and I’ll check out the Liverpool lass.

croadyman

I‘m not sure, I could name a couple names I don‘t want here though. I‘m not talking about someone who talks a lot: it‘s about commanding respect and being able to be strict without alienating everyone.
Just name them anyway