Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

TsuWave

The club has become the equivalent of a school where the kids have taken over - someone has come in and tried to instill some discipline and it's becoming open revolt.
Complete myth. I don’t know why people are even making up these scenarios. The manager is just shite:

bleedred

Wait what? You want to exclude 2/3rds of his time here and then judge him as a manager?

feck me I'm not even going to begin to describe how flawed that is.

He's 4th in that table by the way, 2pts off Liverpool with the same number of wins (20). City and arsenal top 2, obviously.

So yeah, he's quite clearly not a "shit manager" but sure go nuts in exagerrating. Some of our fans just deserve this endless cycle really.
Its the same logic as "We are the most in-form team in November" bullshit. Similar padded stats can be used to defend any manager.

And some of our fans deserve more thrashings against bottom table teams.

fps

Signed the wrong players. A 2 10s system isn't going to work in the PL, it's a basic set-up that is fundamentally flawed. So frustrating.

tomaldinho1

Complete myth. I don’t know why people are even making up these scenarios. The manager is just shite:

Such a myth that a player went on Piers Morgan to force a move. Why do you post with such inaccuracy and crassness, it's just weird?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I didn’t read all that, but it seems as though I read your initial post correctly and you really think Ancelotti is the only possible/clear upgrade on Ten Hag, and that’s just ludicrous.

I don’t even know what Ten Hag has done that has caused people to elevate him to this status. He is not what some on this forum think he is, evidently.
Ancelotti is the closest thing to the complete package SAF was that there is. That's instrumental in a club who has no football structure whatsoever and is still stuck in last century. Now of course there are managers out there who are tactical, who are doing very well and are basically the flavor of the month. There again that's basically ETH in a nutshell. Alternatively we can go for the EPL proven (like Moyes), the experienced wierdo (like LVG), the proven winner (like Mou) or the lovable former legend who is always an inch away to pleasure his players and keep them happy (like Ole).

Which is why I'd say let's stick to ETH and focus solely on reforming the system. We should add a CEO who understand football, a successful sporting director, a real DOF and we had revamped the scouting department and the fitness department first. Then once these people had settled down then there will be enough professional people to judge the manager adequately.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Signed the wrong players. A 2 10s system isn't going to work in the PL, it's a basic set-up that is fundamentally flawed. So frustrating.
Two 10s isn't the issue, single 6 is. Either way EtH gets it wrong, so far we agree.

Donut

I’m sure he sees all the reporting about the 4-1-2-3 and our wide open midfield (even if for some weird reason he can’t see it himself), but since he is the world’s most stubborn man he will keep going with it so he can prove everyone wrong, except that it will eventually cost him the job.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Nope. Both aspects are criticized on their own right. Even if we leave alone the recruitment part, for his supposed coaching how many of our existing players did he improve or for that matter how many of his own signings have been playing at their best.

You cannot just say that his main job is coaching and management of the team and ignore that he is failing at that too.
This thing about improving players has to die. Barely any managers come into a club and turn average players into good players, let alone coaches trying to dramatically shift the style of football and under the pressure United managers have to consistently win matches.

Klopp didn't achieve anything until he was able to reliably move on from garbage/average players like Agger, Sakho, Moreno, Clyne, Lucas, Can, Lallana and Benteke.

Howe's Newcastle shit the bed in almost any game they have to rely on the likes of Joelinton, Almiron and Longstaff to be the main men.

Even Guardiola quickly moved on a fair chunk of the players he inherited at City, a squad that was literally being assembled with him in mind.

I'd also argue that we have seen improvements from some players. Wan-Bissaka and Dalot have both looked far better for Ten Hag than they have for previous managers. The issue is that they're shit. Fred (at times) last season and McTominay this season have looked more competent than they have before, but they're both ultimately not very good midfielders. Harry Maguire has literally come back from the dead this season, and Lindelof has looked nowhere near as calamitous as he had previously.

Last edited:

TsuWave

Such a myth that a player went on Piers Morgan to force a move. Why do you post with such inaccuracy and crassness, it's just weird?
By large the substantial majority of reports stated the club and players stood by his handling of the Ronaldo situation. Same for Sancho, to the point they even urged him to apologise. You have active members of the squad telling you they’re standing by the manager unlike what they did in the past, yet your conclusion is “open revolt” - and what you point towards for corroboration is “Ronaldo” - a player that left the club a year ago. And I’m the one posting with inaccuracy? Cool

Andersonson

ETH isnt alone in creating this mess. Arnold, Glazers, the players everyone is blame.

Hopefully we will see co-onwership as the glazers have put only the wrong people at the footballing side of things.

ETH has recruited a lot of expensive players from his brothers agency, not sure why this isnt talked about more but that alone is a big scare for me and for that reason and how the transfers how gone im seriously in doubt about him

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
ETH isnt alone in creating this mess. Arnold, Glazers, the players everyone is blame.

Hopefully we will see co-onwership as the glazers have put only the wrong people at the footballing side of things.

ETH has recruited a lot of expensive players from his brothers agency, not sure why this isnt talked about more but that alone is a big scare for me and for that reason and how the transfers how gone im seriously in doubt about him
How many specifically?

NLunited

Last season was pretty good overall, with issues of consistency and away game form.

Saturday I saw the team working hard, even Martial (He is not PL level), but we lacked ‘game readiness’ or focus. It’s the same issue as last year.

After we conceded the first goal, Bournemouth defended very well, basically we should not give away goals this easily.

This team can be brilliant one week, then awful the next. What is Ten Hag doing to improve consistency?

Is it time to try a different playstyle? Are we capable to do what 10Hag wants?

Maybe not: we certainly need to replace Martial with a first choice striker. He isn’t even Championship level.

fallengt

Two box two box 8s not 10
Pep and Arteta use it. But you need CB, FB to cover extra yards so In a way it's flawed, it since we don't have right players.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
While I agree it's unfair to put all the blame on his shoulders, on the other side of the coin, if Mount, Antony and Hojilund were roaring successes right now he'd be getting 99.9% of the praise. What makes it worse for ETH is that his most expensive signing is a player that he knew and coached previously. It's like Moyes buying Fellaini, he's undoubtedly his guy and is an embodiment of his current failures.
From some people he would yes, but to me that is irrelevant and does not account for the clubs role in transfers

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
This seems far more of club a problem than a Ten Hag problem to me.

It says to me that the club has failed to identify suitable targets and so he's had to resort to those he knows and can (reasonably) quickly negotiate for.

Berbaclass

This seems far more of club a problem than a Ten Hag problem to me.

It says to me that the club has failed to identify suitable targets and so he's had to resort to those he knows and can (reasonably) quickly negotiate for.
It’s also a false narrative.

We’ve bought Hojlund and loaned Amrabat.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If a parent lets a kid use the credit card who is to blame?
Didn’t ten hag want control of the transfers and that was one of his requests before agreeing to join us? So are you saying we shouldn’t have agreed and not hired him in the first place

Cassidy

Ronaldo? I mean he left over a year ago and never wanted to stay to play in the europa league whilst taking a pay cut. I mean whats the issue here?
Because Joel Glazer didn't want to sanction a move and his replacement so he had to go on Piers Morgan?

Berbaclass

Didn’t ten hag want control of the transfers and that was one of his requests before agreeing to join us? So are you saying we shouldn’t have agreed and not hired him in the first place
Possibly Yes because he’s never done it before

Cassidy

Many of whom joined the agency because they were signing for United...

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

The "downed tools" argument was always just a coping mechanism to explain away our poor performances and baffling tactics.

AndySmith1990

What difference does it make? He's bought players he's familiar with and has worked with before, which should mean he knows how to utilise them better than random players a sporting director would buy for him

Berbaclass

Berbaclass

What difference does it make? He's bought players he's familiar with and has worked with before, which should mean he knows how to utilise them better than random players a sporting director would buy for him

I don't think you understand the concept of a sporting director.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The wilful ignorance from some when it comes to our transfers is maddening.

Is it partially on Ten Hag for not recognising that Antony performing well in Eredivisie may not translate to the Premier League?

Yes.

Is it also on the club for, firstly, seemingly being completely unable to suggest a far more suitable target for the budget available, and secondly, for authorising such a fee for a player who we shouldn't have been spending more than £40 million on?

Absolutely, and I think these are far bigger failings than simply liking a hard working player you've managed before.
I should imagine you’d agree that if the club blocked the Antony transfer it would then be the story of the club not backing the manager and Antony would be some world class talent we missed out in because of the club not knowing what it’s doing

Berbaclass

I understand enough to know a manager should get more out of players he's previously worked with and specifically chose to sign
Only if the players are good enough, yes, having worked with them before he will have been biased. It's clear he underestimated the premier league, he said that himself.

Lemoor

Ronaldo? I mean he left over a year ago and never wanted to stay to play in the europa league whilst taking a pay cut. I mean whats the issue here?
Because Joel Glazer didn't want to sanction a move and his replacement so he had to go on Piers Morgan?
This is some amazing level of revisionism.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
This thing about control of transfers comes from one quote which he literally begins by saying something like "I want to cooperate with a team" and seemed to me more like he didn't want to have players thrust upon him with zero input.

It's also something brought up by people who seem to think Rangnick was going to be our DoF, and not a part-time consultant

Redstain

Hearing too many excuses, everything is on the manager when it goes well and everything is on the manager when it goes bad. The way the club is structured is to aggrandize the coach to such a level of influence that they often partake in too many responsibilities beyond a conventional management role compared with a hierarchy that deliberates collective responsibility.

The fundamental transition that has undone the season was the managers philosophy in ditching the double pivot midfield and recruiting specific players (Mount) for an 'idea' he had that was never tested in a competitive league game. The Glazers didn't tell Erik to identify as a transitional team despite being more possession orientated last season therefore throwing out the building blocks of last seasons successes tactically. I feel like most are overcomplicating this issue, injuries are definitely relative but even a second string team shouldn't be struggling against lower half division teams in the league and the woeful performances we have seen in Europe.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I should imagine you’d agree that if the club blocked the Antony transfer it would then be the story of the club not backing the manager and Antony would be some world class talent we missed out in because of the club not knowing what it’s doing
No, because I've been saying since Pogba and Lukaku that we shouldn't be spending so much on individual players, let alone players without any real reputation, like Antony.

It's a sign of shit scouting and desperation.

If he was £30-£40 million he might look better value.

Berbaclass

A question for the people who lay the blame for transfers with Erik.

Which modern successful football clubs currently let their manager have total control over the transfers? Do you have any examples?

I think the Glazers quite cleverly did this as it puts less blame on them if ETH got it wrong.

RedDevil@84

Not really. If the footballing structure was solid, there would be no problem to tell ETH or any manager that we ll not pay that kind of money. And letting the media know that the price was too high. It is not new in football.

tomaldinho1

By large the substantial majority of reports stated the club and players stood by his handling of the Ronaldo situation. Same for Sancho, to the point they even urged him to apologise. You have active members of the squad telling you they’re standing by the manager unlike what they did in the past, yet your conclusion is “open revolt” - and what you point towards for corroboration is “Ronaldo” - a player that left the club a year ago. And I’m the one posting with inaccuracy? Cool
Not sure what you're trying to say. My point is proven because these players are acting like kids and throwing tantrums if they are dropped - sometimes I assume posters follow the club, obviously I am mistaken in this regard, Sancho was this year, Varane was this year...not sure who you can't see what's going on in front of your eyes. Name another club where this has happened on the scale we are seeing? ETH is, at least, taking on these players and essentially forcing them out.

The fact McT has come out and said that proves how bad it has been. You don't just randomly give an interview and say 'it is not toxic anymore'. Start reading posts before replying.

RedUnited86

We'd have been in a better position if we'd kept Ralf as manager and given him full autonomy over signings than go for De Boer 2.0

tomaldinho1

ETH's tenure has been non stop drama. Ronaldo, Greenwood situation on going, Antony situation, Sancho, Varane. That's without any injury chat whatsoever. I get some people are now so backed against the wall wanting him out they apparently can't speak normally about these things (see above, the poster who can't not swear and gets stuff wrong constantly) but the mitigating circumstances are pretty hard to ignore here.

RedDevil@84

woeful performances we have seen in Europe.
I would not use Europe as an example. Onana single handedly sabotaged the entire campaign this season. Not that our football was good enough to clear the next round, but we had enough to get through the round.
The PL campaign has been disappointing though.