Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sometimes I don’t get him

Attempted insult by saying he's a washed player and not good enough to play in Europe presumably.

Who are these people who had a chance to sack ETH, 100% not Berrada and Ashworth.

I said previously in this post, keeping ETH is a Ineos directorship decision, which sadly mirrors Glazers decisions, but NOT the top football leadership PEOPLE who have been given ETH to work with him, so it's not rocket science if they don't see any form of positive trend ETH will be sacked by Ashworth

Surely you can't be that naive. Both were in gardening leave at that point and already knew they would be United employees. They're hardly going to publicly say they were in the decision making process but obviously both would've been in the loop.

Actually not, some have, maybe even many have, but I grew up watching early SAF, the hallmark was playing on the break, I have no idea why people think we need to copy city et al in possession based, high press football, I for one would much rather see us playing on the break than the shite we currently serve up, or at least a hybrid where we drop back properly and concede possession stats, over all we should be able to adapt

And the day we implement full tika-taka I take a sabbatical from Utd... I watch football to be entertained not amazed that we can make 80 passes in a row, please let us move away from the Dutch/Barca model not towards it, absolute boring shite, do not care how successful it is, it is dross.

Playing on the break got us consecutive top 4 finishes under Ole, moving away from that was the catalyst for us tanking and losing Ole his job, Leicester won the league playing that way not that long ago, if you try to copy City then you need to be better than them, we are not going to best Guardiola at his own game as Arsenal are discovering. We have the players in Rashford, Hoijlund, Amad and Garnacho to absolutely annihilate teams that push up, where we came unstuck previously is against teams that sit in, in those games we need to do something different, we should focus on two tactics and switch between them as appropriate, instead of persisting with the pie in the sky tactics that ETH has which require 10 supermen outfield players to execute

I think INEOS preference is something similar to Klopp's style with Liverpool. Fast paced, aggressive, with modern principles but plenty of framework for entertainment.

I've always said that my main issue with Ole was that he was completely unable to coach his teams to play out of a press from the back consistently. It's why we got swamped possession wise so often, majority of the time we wouldn't get out of our own half for 15-20 minutes at a time.
Ideally we play similar to Madrid: fluid enough to where we can possess/control games against lesser teams but also be able to defend from a block and counter with efficiency if needed against a team like City who's never going to cede possession. I can't stand JDP football even if I understand why it works

If Ugarte starts, we know he's been told to do it.

Ten Hag like's to give players time to get ready before he runs them into the ground.

"Patterns, process, spirit, characters, routines...It's all just so dull, and rehearsed. Especially when we've seen none of it on the pitch except for a one off cup final against City. I just want a manager who speaks normally at this point, can we at least have that.

We could lose the next 4 league games between now and the next international break and he is still going to be here. He won’t be sacked anytime soon.
Nope. If we lose the next 4 games, he will be sacked. But we won't. We will not lose against Southampton, and we certainly won't lose against Barnsley.
And we also are not in "relegation form", as some have suggested. This kind of hyperbole is annoying both because it is, well, hyperbolic, and also because it then makes a normal, mediocre outcome seem surprising or positive. As if being upper midtable weren't unacceptable in its own right.
The problem is not that we are completely shit. Sometimes we are quite ok, or even kind of good.
The problem is we are not very good, and we should expect to be very good.

Attempted insult by saying he's a washed player and not good enough to play in Europe presumably.

Surely you can't be that naive. Both were in gardening leave at that point and already knew they would be United employees. They're hardly going to publicly say they were in the decision making process but obviously both would've been in the loop.
Berrada himself said, they were not involved in extending ETH contract. He himself said it.

So, who should I belive Teja From redcafe or the man himself.

I think he thinks he's making a point that Ronaldo said United can't win the league, not him, but he's also not saying that, he's actually saying Ronaldo lives in Saudi and it's okay to have opinions...

The Saudi comment is not really the "dig" Ten Hag seem to want to imply - especially not when the almost 40 year scored two goals in two matches against solid European opposition for Portugal less than a week ago...

I get the feeling that ETH seriously thinks he’s in no danger of being sacked.
He’s totally delusional and this is why we’re STILL seeing absolutely terrible team decisions.
Lose to Southampton and that’s surely it!?
Or is it?
If we lose at Southampton he’s gone. Imo.

Nope. If we lose the next 4 games, he will be sacked. But we won't. We will not lose against Southampton, and we certainly won't lose against Barnsley.
And we also are not in "relegation form", as some have suggested. This kind of hyperbole is annoying both because it is, well, hyperbolic, and also because it then makes a normal, mediocre outcome seem surprising or positive. As if being upper midtable weren't unacceptable in its own right.
The problem is not that we are completely shit. Sometimes we are quite ok, or even kind of good.
The problem is we are not very good, and we should expect to be very good.

I meant four league games. We won’t lose them but even if we did, and we then lost another five before Christmas, he’s staying until end of season.

Wish he would stop saying we’re still in transition. That isn’t what we want to hear. You’ve got your squad now… get them playing good football. We should be improving every year so how do we go from 3rd to finishing 8th. We get worse every year.

I'm not even mad at him and starting to admire his resolve. He seems absolutely unfazed and has never looked under pressure. Maybe just maybe we just need a run of good wins.

I'm not even mad at him and starting to admire his resolve. He seems absolutely unfazed and has never looked under pressure. Maybe just maybe we just need a run of good wins.

The trouble is a run of good wins is much more likely if you have a run of playing good football for 90 mins each match. And Ten Hag definitely hasn’t managed to figure that bit out yet.

Delusion is a powerful thing. I think he genuinely believes that the team is/ has doing well and he’s just been unlucky, and doesn’t see the need to change anything.

There's no chance ETH survives losing 6 of his first 7 PL matches. But I don't expect that to happen. What I do expect are scrappy wins over Southampton and Palace and draws to both Spurs and Villa, which although may be overly optimistic expectations these results would be regarded as good results for us. But if we go 0 for 4 over the next four PL matches it's pretty hard to imagine ETH making it to the Brentford match.

I do find him to be weirdly charismatic.

Unfortunately I also think he's totally clueless

There's no chance ETH survives losing 6 of his first 7 PL matches. But I don't expect that to happen. What I do expect are scrappy wins over Southampton and Palace and draws to both Spurs and Villa, which although may be overly optimistic expectations these results would be regarded as good results for us. But if we go 0 for 4 over the next four PL matches it's pretty hard to imagine ETH making it to the Brentford match.
He will be hailed a hero if he can get 8 points from these 4 games. If he can get 5 even, it will be considered an achievement.

He's getting sacked this season, not on the premise of anything other than being a manager who's mean / median standard is significantly below the required level for United to even be a consistent top four outfit.

Not even 5 games into the season and there's already a deficit in the games lost in comparison to winning fixtures, with the added context of coming off one the worst seasons in the club's modern history.

The only ones who come out of Erik's tenure with any sense of respect are the players, they have been deployed suicidally from a tactical perspective in various fixtures yet have never really downed tools or thrown the coach under the bus.

As stated previously this team has hit a ceiling not down to individual quality but the pedigree of the manager. You can incrementally increase the individual proponent of quality players but until a new coach is ascribing them new instructions it's meaningless.

In similar fashion to Southgate departing the England role, with the involvement of Carsley it provides the potential of gradually changing the expectation and dynamics around how the national team is perceived, so Erik will have to depart for this club to demonstrate some competitive enthusiasm and show vigor when challenging the more combative teams in the league.

I have never in my time remembered a period where United got folded by a Liverpool team that were messing around to a 3-0 win at home (OT), while not even looking like they got out of 1st gear.

Even bigger than the result was how diminished fans expectations have become that such a set of circumstances is acceptable or met with very little rebuttal and discontentment.

He might be........Selling burgers.
Needs a Photoshop

barclays-premier-league-manchester-united-v-fulham.jpg

A manager’s value is only of use in so far that it addresses the current challenges the club faces. Before ETH, we needed someone to usher out the toxicity of previous regimes with the promise of more attacking football based on his Ajax team. It didn’t quite work out like that but it meant that players had a vision to work towards.

However ETH has now outlasted his worth. He managed to win 2 trophies and that seems to be the best achievement and legacy to leave behind. We’ve evolved as a club for better or worse since ETH’s arrival and it’s now time for someone else to take the reins. It will be rinse and repeat until we settle on a sustainable system that sticks. That is life and that is football.

He will be hailed a hero if he can get 8 points from these 4 games. If he can get 5 even, it will be considered an achievement.

Given how poorly we’ve performed this season so far, 8 points of the 12 on offer would be a decent haul, enough to keep him in the job. But these can’t be fluky wins, 6 of the 12 points, over sides we should be crushing.

And if we’re no longer a club that everyone should expect to crush relegation fodder, I just don’t have the words to describe how low we have descended.

If we lose the next 4 league games then it's 6 defeats in 7. He would 100% get the sack.
If we lose next 4 games that means he lost the players and he will definitely be sacked. Even if I think he lost some players a while back, this isn't the case for the squad (especially considering we've brought even more Dutch / ex Ajax players in), so only poor results long term will get him sacked. I'd reckon if we continue mid table form he'll be gone by new year.

Of course he might get another "injuries" excuse that will extend this misery until the end of the season, but that would be unlikely imo.

He's getting sacked this season, not on the premise of anything other than being a manager who's mean / median standard is significantly below the required level for United to even be a consistent top four outfit.

Not even 5 games into the season and there's already a deficit in the games lost in comparison to winning fixtures, with the added context of coming off one the worst seasons in the club's modern history.

The only ones who come out of Erik's tenure with any sense of respect are the players, they have been deployed suicidally from a tactical perspective in various fixtures yet have never really downed tools or thrown the coach under the bus.

As stated previously this team has hit a ceiling not down to individual quality but the pedigree of the manager. You can incrementally increase the individual proponent of quality players but until a new coach is ascribing them new instructions it's meaningless.

In similar fashion to Southgate departing the England role, with the involvement of Carsley it provides the potential of gradually changing the expectation and dynamics around how the national team is perceived, so Erik will have to depart for this club to demonstrate some competitive enthusiasm and show vigor when challenging the more combative teams in the league.

I have never in my time remembered a period where United got folded by a Liverpool team that were messing around to a 3-0 win at home (OT), while not even looking like they got out of 1st gear.

Even bigger than the result was how diminished fans expectations have become that such a set of circumstances is acceptable or met with very little rebuttal and discontentment.

There was that 5-0.

SAF, Rooney, Neville, Rio etc. all have said that our away wins at Liverpool had to be scrappy, even during our glory days. Even if we won, the result was enjoyable but the game was not.

Seems like it's too much to ask for our players to just make life difficult for them. Maybe kick one of their players doing a fecking rondo?