Eric Cantona: Looking For Manchester

Managed to find the most anorak bunch of Mancunians they could, Pete Boyle doesn't count.

Good watch for the most of it, I'm actually close friends with a girl who works with Natalie... Shame she's a bertie.

Just watched it on Itvplayer. The bits with Eric were good. Obviously the reactions of the City fans when Scholes scored was enjoyable, but the rest of it was hackneyed Manchester-by-numbers bollocks. When will we get over the fecking Hacienda? Sick of seeing Hook, Mani etc trading on former glories. We are getting almost as bad as the city of Liverpool looking back to the 60s all the time.

The music side shown was the popular scene when Eric was playing so surely you didnt expect any different? You only had to read the press release to know the format!

Personally, I would have prefered more of Eric, the football side and fan interviews but it was more about Manchester in general so makes perfect sense to me

The music side shown was the popular scene when Eric was playing so surely you didnt expect any different? You only had to read the press release to know the format!

Personally, I would have prefered more of Eric, the football side and fan interviews but it was more about Manchester in general so makes perfect sense to me

New Order/Joy Division? That was a decade before Cantona. Stone Roses success was three years earlier. May as well have had Freddie and the Dreamers on there.

New Order/Joy Division? That was a decade before Cantona. Stone Roses success was three years earlier. May as well have had Freddie and the Dreamers on there.

Nah - Im talking Hacienda rather than the bands.
And The Stone Roses debut might have been released before Cantona but it was still the biggest musical influence in the city at the time plus they will always be linked to United, just like Oasis are linked to City.

What do you think should have been shown then? I cant think of anything more apt to be honest.

Yeah, the music part of the film was innaccurate as were all the videos of Manc Club Land. I was a student at Manchester University during the 'Cantona Years' and used to go to the Hacienda at least twice a month. Lee Sharpe and Ryan Giggs often with Paul Ince, Roy Keane and once in a while, you even got to see the King.

Anyways, the music from the film was from about 5 years before what Manchester had progressed to by the time Eric and I arrived in town. Acid and piano house was played alot in Manchester clubs during the early 1990s and bands like Oasis and M People were becoming popular.

Home, PSV, Sanseis soap and that place in the basement of Afflecks palace were very popular clubs in those days. And uber cool students also used to go to Pollen on a Thursday night at the New Ardri in Hulme. How I miss those wonderful days.

Last edited:
Nah - Im talking Hacienda rather than the bands.
And The Stone Roses debut might have been released before Cantona but it was still the biggest musical influence in the city at the time plus they will always be linked to United, just like Oasis are linked to City.

What do you think should have been shown then?
I cant think of anything more apt to be honest.

I didn't really think all that had to come into it. There is much more to the city than Madchester and "mad fer it". Probably the most successful bands of that era, and the most prominent Manchester music to be heard all over the country (sadly) were M People and Simply Red. Mick Hucknall must have been out of town, I suppose. :lol:

I just thought it was lazy journalism all-in-all. Also, I thought there were a few innaccuracies, as newtonheathdave mentioned. It was also a bit too one-sided, I'd have been a bit miffed if I were a City fan watching, and not just about reliving the match.

I didn't really think all that had to come into it. There is much more to the city than Madchester and "mad fer it". Probably the most successful bands of that era, and the most prominent Manchester music to be heard all over the country (sadly) were M People and Simply Red. Mick Hucknall must have been out of town, I suppose. :lol:

I just thought it was lazy journalism all-in-all. Also, I thought there were a few innaccuracies, as newtonheathdave mentioned. It was also a bit too one-sided, I'd have been a bit miffed if I were a City fan watching, and not just about reliving the match.

Thank feck for that!
But this wasnt about which Manchester bands were big around the country - it was about what was going on in Manchester when Eric was there and clearly it was all about the club scene, Madchester and then Oasis et al.

It is lazy-journalism but then I didnt really expect much different. Seems like this was made for a wider audience than people like us to be honest (the Ozzies are saying it has been shown there last year and there is a French version etc).

Anyway they could have shown Eric taking a shit with 'This Is The One' in the background and I still would have said it was quality :D

When Eric joined us in late 1992, utter crap like 2Unlimited were ruling the British airwaves.
During his best years in 1994-96, Oasis were the best band in Britain, let alone Manchester and were still until he left in 1997.
You couldn't really have a predominantly City-supporting band as the soundtrack for a show hosted by Eric Cantona.
Regardless, the Stone Roses were a good choice for the soundtrack, as they are associated with United and remember Love Spreads was on the Second Coming album released in 1994 so stick that in your pipes and suck hard....

One thing that I didn't quite understand was they "lyricist" who supposedly came up with "We'll drink a drink to Eric the King." If he's claiming to have written that, he's full of shit. That was around in the 60s and applied to Denis Law.

Nontorrent links please. We don't need copyright hassles thank you very much.

Yeah, the music part of the film was innaccurate as were all the videos of Manc Club Land. I was a student at Manchester University during the 'Cantona Years' and used to go to the Hacienda at least twice a month. Lee Sharpe and Ryan Giggs often with Paul Ince, Roy Keane and once in a while, you even got to see the King.

Anyways, the music from the film was from about 5 years before what Manchester had progressed to by the timeEric and I arrived in town. Acid and piano house was played alot in Manchester clubbing scenes during the early 1990s and bands like Oasis and M People were becoming popular.

Home, PSV and that place in the basement of Afflecks palace were very popular clubs in those days. And uber cool students also used to go to Pollen on a wednesday night at the New Ardri in Hulme.

How I miss those wonderful days.

You know that they showed clips of United and football in general from before Cantona arrived as well? Were you upset about that? It wasn't all about 1992-1997 when Cantona played and I don't think it was supposed to be. Yes, he played an important role in the documentary, but it was about United vs. City, Manchester as a place and the build up to the derby. I thought they put that into context pretty well.

Just watched it, really enjoyed it actually thought it could have been a fair bit longer, seemed to skip over a fair few parts.

The music side of things was a littloe cliche but necessary it is a huge part of Manchester's modern history and still has a massive effect today, can't really go anywhere in Manc without being reminded of it.

Did make me wish i was around for Eric's days and the music scene when it was thriving, It's fecking shite now.

Potential to be good, but was a bit cringeworthy. Especially the way Eric would just walk into their house followed by a camera crew without the people knowing.

Did enjoy seeing those bitter women watching the United City game and their reaction, brilliant. Also, that City fan with the tatoo was sexy as feck.