Eric Cantona appreciation thread

It has always really annoued me that in that scene, when they’re showing clips of his great goals as potential favourite moments, they very obviously show the wrong clip for the Wimbledon goal.

The script is patently talking about this one from the FA Cup in 94…

..but the film shows a rather bog standard and far less important goal he scored against them in the league opener of ‘97 (the Beckham halfway line game)

I mean jesus Ken, amateur stuff! Nearly ruins the whole film. I hope someone was fired for that

With mistakes like this I hope someone takes away Ken two Palme d'Ors from him as punishment!

Eric in his interview with Gary Linkeker mentions the film is inspired by his friendship with a Leeds fan!

He should get a statue, easily the most momentous player in the modern history of this club, it's unrivalled really.

With mistakes like this I hope someone takes away Ken two Palme d'Ors from him as punishment!

Eric in his interview with Gary Linkeker mentions the film is inspired by his friendship with a Leeds fan!

Also the Cup Final goal wasn’t in “the last minute” it was in the 85th minute. Was anyone involved even a United fan!???!!! Psschhht

Cantona was fantastic, he was a top class footballer and the catalyst for all our success. I am old enough to have watched the sixties team, Best, Charlton and Law all 3 Ballon d'Or winners, all in the same team. What a time that was, when United played away every ground was packed, United fans usually out numbered the home fans, everybody wanted to see them play. George Best had more fans than some clubs had, Denis Law was the king of the Stretford End and Bobby Charlton was the link with the babes but what a genius of a footballer. I will always remember being stood in the stretford end watching them play the same as I will always remember the day Eric returned from his ban and being behind the goal at wembley for his winner against Liverpool.

That lob against Sunderland, and the very Cantonaish way of celebrating it, is still my favorite goal ever. Goose bumps every time ...

I was 8 years old when he joined United. It was a great time to be a kid in the early to mid 90s. He is just so fecking cool. This man needs a statue outside Old Trafford, and it needs to happen soon.

He retired nearly 30 years ago and United fans still sing about him. An absolute legend.

Eric's goal against Sheff Utd in the FA Cup, just before he got banned, is one of my favourites. The swirling wind, the celebration. Brilliant.

I can't post media yet otherwise I'd link it up.

Eric's goal against Sheff Utd in the FA Cup, just before he got banned, is one of my favourites. The swirling wind, the celebration. Brilliant.

I can't post media yet otherwise I'd link it up.

Here you go:

Always loved this one against them too:

If he didn’t join mid season in 1992, we definitely don’t win the league and Ferguson might not of gotten another season. A lot Of probably younger fans really don’t get how impactful the great man was, not just for United but SAF. Always makes me think that him joining was a massive sliding doors moment that impacted the next 20 years of English football.

The king

Classic from Cantona

449845531_8064357523608282_1289135493574471820_n.jpg

True true. Without the ban Eric would have won six titles in a row. He won the league in every season he completed in English football.

Eric the king is my all-time favorite United player. True legend

Always loved this one against them too:

This box to box goal is so often overlooked, the passes to get the ball back to Eric and then the sheer power of his pace which wasn't his greatest strength, but he was more than quick enough. It's one my favourites of his for me, yes he scored better goals, but this was everything without the tricks and flicks.

Love the guy. I can recall exactly where I was when I heard we were signing him.
Funnily enough when I think of Eric it's not a goal, an assist, a tackle or a card that springs to mind, it's him heading a Chelsea shot off our line in the 96 Cup semi in Villa Park.What a man!

There are players and there is Eric. A flawed genius, astonishing player and the man who started it all along with Fergie.

Perhaps a greatest example of Fergie's man management ever as we know by the stories.

Your thoughts and best memories about him? Long live the King.

Lost count the amount of times I’ve watched this.

Surely the PL’s greatest ever.

Was at an away ground waiting after the game for the players to come out and as he came out naturally everyone surrounded him for an autograph, there was someone in a wheelchair that everyone just ran passed but the King spotted that and moved everyone out the way to give the disabled person a autograph and a pic. He had to aura about him that I can’t explain but it I shook he’s hand which was bandaged and to this day it gives me goosebumps just thinking about that day.