Emergency Board Meeting called to discuss the future of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel sorry for him. Actually upset cause he's a club legend. Clearly not right and out of his depth, but he doesn't deserve some of the abuse directed his way. This isn't aimed at the caf btw, it is more towards things I'm hearing away from here
I'm quite comfortable aiming this at the caf.

It's fecking custis. Knows nothing. Until stones or Whitwell report it then nada
I thought that but it’s a bit specific to say he said his goodbyes, he does have some connections at United and it’s a line that I think carries a bit of weight, not your sitting on the fence type statement like the rest have gone with regarding ‘meetings planned.’

Sounds to me like a player has leaked what he said in the dressing room perhaps. A few others running with it

Also known as the truth

In a parallel universe maybe. It's nice sounding fluff but, really, Ole had done a mediocre job with the money and time he's been given before this season. Obviously it only gets worse and worse with every game you include from this season.

No inspired signings. No bargains. Plenty of money wasted on bad signings and awful new contract decisions. No youth promoted other than Greenwood. No current players significantly improved (except Shaw before this season).

The squad is overloaded and top-heavy. And a big new influx of players will be needed once all the squad players Ole has alienated leave.

Giving a manager credit for improving the squad while spending 500 mill. Now that is stupid. Especially considering on what he spent it on in our case. 80 millions on Maguire alone is criminal. So not only is the notion that Ole leaves the squad in a better shape than the rest simply wrong, even if it was true he shouldn't get credit for it. He blew money left and right. Hats off. Great achievement.

He inherited a squad full of gaping holes, and leave with a squad that was widely considered to be good enough to mount a title challenge before the season began. Which, yeah, does cost money. Enough said.

Ofcourse he’s getting the sack.

Only question is what stupid shit the idiots in charge will decide nextt

I would take Rodgers, cringey knob but an excellent coach.
'Excellent' is pushing.

I agree he's a very good attacking coach. But United are already pretty dangerous in the final third. Granted, we could always get better. And I've no doubt Rogers could improve that aspect of our game.

But United are an utter shambles at the back. AWB and Shaw are constantly getting dragged out of position with no plan on how we should shift over when that happens; Maguire and Lindelof appear to have been told play a low press but neither knows how to cover each other; and there are no set patterns for how the DMs should drop in when the defenders push out.

Whoever comes in as our next coach needs to be able to fix our broken backline. Polishing an already stellar frontline would be nice. But it's of secondary importance, especially since we'll score more goals by default once there's a solid defensive base to build from.

Or temporary caretaker manager.

In 2018, the plan was to replace Ole at season's end with Pochettino. The same way replaced Giggs as caretaker with LvG a 4 seasons earlier. Solksjaer was never supposed to be the permanent manager. But to be fair play to him, he steadied the ship for a couple of seasons, rebuilt the squad with serial winners, bought plenty of youth to carry us forward, got us consecutive top 4 finishes for the first time since Fergie, and raised the standards to the point where the fans are expecting this team to be challenging for the title. Ole's failing is that he's simply not been good enough to take that final step.

This season, he's underperforming on last year despite having better players. So the problem isn't that he's totally clueless - because he's already proven he can get worse players in the top 2. It's that he lacks the charisma to motivate Champions League level players in the way he previously motivated Top Four level players.

Unlike Moyes, LvG and Mourinho, Ole is going to leave Manchester United in a better state than he found it. Not bad for a "legend".

This is not true and I wish people would stop peddling this false propaganda.

Pogba and Lingard are off on a free. Whether you rate them or not, we should have got money from them. Martial looks done at the football club but no one can pay his wages and offer us a decent fee, so he'll be kept on for shits and giggles.

Matic and Mata overstayed their welcome by at least two season and were never used. That is 10s of millions in wages wasted.

Van de Beek will also go if he stays and we'll probably lose money on the transfer. That is down to OGS who firstly didn't use a good player for 2 years and damaged his value.

Cavani is gone this season and Ronaldo next season. After that we haven't got a recognised striker because Greenwood is not ready because he's had zero development.

Rashford has looked good in spells but his overuse has damaged his career and I'm starting to doubt if he'll ever be back full-time as the player he was given his niggles and his style of play.

Maguire and AWB have been expensive failures in defence. We can say that now when we've had enough chance to assess them. Maguire is also approaching 30 and so is Varane. People want to get rid of Bailly but if he's gone, we're left with Lindelof.

We've had no youth come through AT ALL under OGS. Elanga's looked good for about the whole of the 2 meaningless games that's he's played but that's about it for his chances. Garner seems to have managed to escape this charade and might come back as a good player but that's down to use sending on loan. Brandon Williams is not good enough to play for United, even in the League Cup.

And finally, trophies. He's won feck and that alone should be enough to end the conversation about leaving us in a better spot.

I don't know. Even though he's not proven in Europe, Gallardo is 5 games away from winning the league with River Plate. Already won two Copa Libertadores, 3x South American Supercups, 1 x Sudamericana (Europa League-similar), and 3 domestic cups. The only thing that was missing was the league title, which he's very likely to win this year, despite River losing several key players before the season.

I think there are better options in the summer, but if we were to go for a permanent manager now, I wouldn't be mad about it if we gave Gallardo a punt.

Favre was solid at BMG, but I was unconvinced by him at Nice, and despite the solid win % things spiralled badly at Dortmund towards the end.

I was thinking Favre as interim.

Yes please on Zidane. Will likely get more out of Pogba, Ronaldo and Varane, and seems like the kind of fella that will take no shite from the rest of the squad. A kick up the arse (or a head in the chest) will do the squad the world of good.

Should take his coaching staff - Carrick, McKenna, Dempsey etc with him back to Molde.

I actually saw on Twitter he liked the tweet from the Times about the emergency board meeting to discuss Ole's position. Bit weird when you refuse to say someone should be sacked

He’s a weird one, he does everything but say he should be sacked. He’s not winning anyone over with this.

I would take Rodgers, cringey knob but an excellent coach.
He's a good, solid coach. And an improvement on Ole.

But I wouldn't put him in the same 'excellent' category as Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel or Conte so we'd still have an inferior manager to our direct league rivals.

But that's pretty much the case with all of our options now we've missed out on Conte. So, yeah, I think Rodgers would be as valid a choice as the other ones being mooted.

I don't think Ten Haag is on the board's radar. You lot could have his name flown over the stadium in the Villareal game

I can't believe it took this much garbage for the United board to get serious and stop experimenting with a charity case

McFred probably crying on each others shoulders. Their run as a midfield duo was long, puzzling, largely awful and ended with a whimper.

Can add AWB, Maguire, Shaw and Rashford to that. Now they'll actually have to play well to get game time.

I have no doubt when he goes they’ll be numerous posts from many players praising him. Why didn’t those in tears play like it meant that much to them today for fecks sake!

It's called downing the tools. I'm still convinced Bruno had his down since he skied that penalty.

He's caused us A LOT of issues.

I'll be remembering him for wasting A LOT of money (AWB for £50M, Jesus wept), sheer tactical incompetence, broken promises to the likes of DVB, Lingard and Mata and I'll remember him for not walking after the City and Liverpool humiliations and stretching it out over the international break.

But also as a good man, out of his depth, hung out to dry by the board.

Last edited:
Unlike Moyes, LvG and Mourinho, Ole is going to leave Manchester United in a better state than he found it. Not bad for a "legend".
This is still true regardless of this form. People won’t like to agree with it though as many will want him dragged through the mud.

Again people will disagree but we are a few signings, midfield especially, away from having a brilliant squad. In fact many point out, rightly, that the squad is so good that it’s the chief reason why he has to go, for underachieving so much with it this season.

He inherited a squad full of gaping holes, and leave with a squad that was widely considered to be good enough to mount a title challenge before the season began. Which, yeah, does cost money. Enough said.

'Enough said' indeed. What a lot of drivel. The next manager will have a Pogba leaving, possibly Ronaldo and Cavani leaving, Lingard leaving. A gaping hole in CM. A defense that can't defend. All that while spending half a billion. Yeah great job.
Fact is he did a terrible job on almost all fronts as a manager

Ole did well until this season. But expectations just went beyond his capability especially after Ronaldo signing alongside Sancho and varane.

But objectively speaking ole would be sacked thrice today if he was Watford manager.

Backing wrong manager actually worse than sacking good one.

In an ideal world he should also take Maguire and AWB with him. McTominay, Fred, Shaw could also join. Won't be missed.

Very nervous about what happens next. Ole has to go, for sure. But, I fully expect us to mess up with his successor, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.