g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Earthquake in Morocco

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Terrible news. Death toll bound to rise. Hope we’re sending some rescue crews out there.
BBC now reporting 600 dead, unfortunately the toll is rising fast this morning.

Abizzz

Everything I'm reading sounds horrible, am reading (non-English) news saying it's over 600 dead. :( (oh somehow didn't see @2cents most recent post).

Darkhorsez

Terrible news. My wife was there for a vacation just 2 months ago. Really shocking and sad.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I have a group of mates who literally just spent the week in Marrakesh and left yesterday morning. Crazily lucky timing.

Superden

I drove around those mountains and visited some of those villages / hamlets near the epicenter, this time last year...theres going to be some horrific carnage.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Terrible news. Death toll will be high. I'm in the south of Portugal near the Algarve at the moment and I actually felt it. I hope Marocco gets the help they need.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Sad news - deaths up to 890s now.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Some scary footage here, you can see the famous minaret of the Kutubiyya Mosque in central Marrakesh shaking badly:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Now over a 1,000 deaths reported. Damn, this is huge...

(I wasn't even aware Morocco is situated in an earthquake region, but I see that's just my ignorance. They've had other big earthquakes in recent decades.)

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Horrific, hopefully more people that are found are still alive.

I really hope that the country and people are getting all the help they need in finding more alive and injured who can be made better.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Been to Morocco and specifically Marrakech many times, have been following the tragic events since last night with dread as the death toll rises.

Epicentre was in a rural area in the Atlas Mountains with mostly basic construction and infrastructure - entire villages have been wiped out.

Some damage to historic buildings in Marrakech Old Town but most of the city is thankfully unaffected.

Still a risk of aftershocks which must be very stressful for anyone on the ground.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Now over a 1,000 deaths reported. Damn, this is huge...

(I wasn't even aware Morocco is situated in an earthquake region, but I see that's just my ignorance. They've had other big earthquakes in recent decades.)
In Marrakech/Atlas Mountains area this is the biggest earthquake in over a century, so not expected or prepared for at all.

There had been a sizeable earthquake in Agadir (Atlantic Coast) back in the 1960s - death toll was higher since it hit a densely populated city on that occasion

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
RIP.

Earthquakes are one of the few things I'm genuinely scared about.

Ted Lasso

Awful awful news. This is entirely new to that part of the world in modern times, right?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In Marrakech/Atlas Mountains area this is the biggest earthquake in over a century, so not expected or prepared for at all.

There had been a sizeable earthquake in Agadir (Atlantic Coast) back in the 1960s - death toll was higher since it hit a densely populated city on that occasion
Awful awful news. This is entirely new to that part of the world in modern times, right?
This is what I got from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Marrakesh-Safi_earthquake:
Morocco lies close to the boundary between the African Plate and the Eurasian Plate, the Azores–Gibraltar Transform Fault. This zone of right-lateral strike-slip becomes transpressional at its eastern end, with the development of large thrust faults. To the east of the Strait of Gibraltar, in the Alboran Sea, the boundary becomes collisional in type. Most of the seismicity in Morocco is related to movement on that plate boundary, with the greatest seismic hazard in the north of the country close to the boundary. In 2004, Al Hoceima was struck by a magnitude 6.3 earthquake that killed 628 people and left 926 injured. A magnitude 7.3 earthquake affecting neighboring Algeria in 1980 killed 2,500 people.

The Atlas Mountains are an intracontinental mountain belt that extends 2,000 km (1,200 mi) from Morocco to Tunisia. These mountains formed from a collision during the Cenozoic. The mountain range reaches its highest elevation to the west, in Morocco. Seismicity in Morocco is concentrated in the country's northern region and the Alboran Sea. South of the Rif, seismic activity is sparse but spread across the Middle Atlas, High Atlas, and Anti-Atlas. Seismicity in the Saharan Atlas is limited, and absent in the Saharan region south of the belt; it is also less active eastwards in Algeria and Tunisia. Previously, the largest earthquake recorded in the Atlas Mountains was the Mw  5.9 earthquake that struck Agadir in 1960. Earthquakes in the Atlas Mountains display focal mechanisms of strike-slip, thrust or a combination of both (oblique-slip).

Madthinker

Been to Morocco and specifically Marrakech many times, have been following the tragic events since last night with dread as the death toll rises.

Epicentre was in a rural area in the Atlas Mountains with mostly basic construction and infrastructure - entire villages have been wiped out.

Some damage to historic buildings in Marrakech Old Town but most of the city is thankfully unaffected.

Still a risk of aftershocks which must be very stressful for anyone on the ground.
Unfortunately, this appears not to be the case elsewhere. The Tinmal mosque has been reduced to ruins.

If that's the level of damage it can wreak to Tinmal, it's easy to imagine, as you say, that whole villages of basic construction are wiped out.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Unfortunately, this appears not to be the case elsewhere. The Tinmal mosque has been reduced to ruins.

If that's the level of damage it can wreak to Tinmal, it's easy to imagine, as you say, that whole villages of basic construction are wiped out.
Devestating to see a historic monument like Tinmal in such a state - Ive been up there a couple of times, stunning location up in the mountains but its close to the epicentre so not surprising.

Death toll now over 2000 but 10s of thousands more will be injured, homeless etc.

A colleague of mine is out there and part of the relief efforts taking food, clothing etc up to the rural communities who are most affected.

Contrary to some media reports, Marrakech itself has escaped any major damage thankfully but, as the nearest city, hospitals etc are overcapacity and most relief efforts are coming from there.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'd already forgotten that Turkey (and Syria) had an earthquake that killed 60k earlier this year. 2k is still so many people to die in a natural disaster, though.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
And now a dam has burst in Libya, 10,000 people missing. Just hearing reports. Wonder if it’s connected to the earthquake in Morocco?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
And now a dam has burst in Libya, 10,000 people missing. Just hearing reports. Wonder if it’s connected to the earthquake in Morocco?
2cents made a new thread for this now. Caused by a storm, so unrelated to the earthquake.