Television Doctor Who 60th Anniversary

roseguy64

So we finally got air dates for the specials.

The first one is on November 25.

AaronRedDevil

Damn I miss that show. Haven't watched it at all with the women in as the Doctor. She just didn't seem like the right choice. Is there a new one supposed to be coming?

roseguy64

Damn I miss that show. Haven't watched it at all with the women in as the Doctor. She just didn't seem like the right choice. Is there a new one supposed to be coming?
Well it's not a woman who's playing the Doctor in any of those posts.

jasT1981

All episodes are going on iPlayer from 1st November, except the very first story, "An unearthly Child" due to a dispute with the son of the writer who is claiming ownership

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-an-unearthly-child-iplayer-newsupdate/

He pulled a similar stunt on the eve of the 50th Anniversary trying to claim ownership of the TARDIS

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...ing-bbc-over-breach-of-copyright-8930947.html

The show has gone downhill lately. Jodie Whittaker is a good actress and was let down with poor writing during 13s run. Capaldi was similar. I've seen it all, but it's not been great since late Tennant/Smith era.

Big Andy

Bloke
All episodes are going on iPlayer from 1st November, except the very first story, "An unearthly Child" due to a dispute with the son of the writer who is claiming ownership

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-an-unearthly-child-iplayer-newsupdate/

He pulled a similar stunt on the eve of the 50th Anniversary trying to claim ownership of the TARDIS

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...ing-bbc-over-breach-of-copyright-8930947.html

The show has gone downhill lately. Jodie Whittaker is a good actress and was let down with poor writing during 13s run. Capaldi was similar. I've seen it all, but it's not been great since late Tennant/Smith era.
That guy sounds like a cnut to me. "Oh my dad let them use it, an my mum did as well, but I'm going to be a giant prick and I want my money that I haven't earned in any way"

Big Andy

Bloke
My son watches this religiously, but had zero interest in the Jodie Whittaker series. His favourite was Tennant and Smith, so he's buzzing for the specials.

lsd

The Oracle
I guess we are not going to see any of Ncuti until Christmas Day then and Tennant is the actual 14th Doctor and it isn't some sort of trick by Neil Patrick Harris's character as originally thought.

roseguy64

Almost time.

I see they've been posting bits and pieces but I've avoided those except for finding out the broadcast time.

Eric_the_Red99

I know that RTD isn’t know for his subtlety but feck me this is rough :nervous:

People actually like this? Why?

lsd

The Oracle
Gonna say i loved that and everything made sense at the end too. Forgot they used to do that on the show.

It read a great return for me anyway

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
An entertaining hour of silly Saturday night family television that flew by and is bound to wind up the usual gaggle of cnuts. Job done. First episode was always going to be light and Partners in Crime-esque - I think next week will be very different in tone.

pauldyson1uk

An entertaining hour of silly Saturday night family television that flew by and is bound to wind up the usual gaggle of cnuts. Job done. First episode was always going to be light and Partners in Crime-esque - I think next week will be very different in tone.
Nice review.
I was looking forward to it and it did not disappoint for me.
The Doctor and Doctor Donna brilliant, Donna daughter was a nice addition and I think I have read, in the new series.

Dobba

Nowt else on the TV so I rewatched it. I know they are stumping up some production cash, but the music for the TARDIS interior reveal is so hilariously Disney. It was just missing a singing lobster or carriage clock.

jasT1981

Bring on Ncuti with this level of production.

Was sick of Tennant 15 years ago, so my dislike means at least he's managed to walk straight back into the role I suppose.
Yes, I never liked Tennant either

I know that RTD isn’t know for his subtlety but feck me this is rough :nervous:

People actually like this? Why?
Dr Who has always been socially progressive, but it has gotten very boxs ticking lately. In some episodes of Jodies run it felt like she was looking at the camera lecturing the audience. But yeah, tonight was overkill.

The story was good, no complaints but blooody hell ;/

lsd

The Oracle
Yes, I never liked Tennant either

Dr Who has always been socially progressive, but it has gotten very boxs ticking lately. In some episodes of Jodies run it felt like she was looking at the camera lecturing the audience. But yeah, tonight was overkill.

The story was good, no complaints but blooody hell ;/

I really don't see the whole overkill or woke stuff people complain about.

There were mentions of different things than exist in everyday life i don't think they overdid it but i know there are people who would rather never mention those topics

Eric_the_Red99

Nowt else on the TV so I rewatched it. I know they are stumping up some production cash, but the music for the TARDIS interior reveal is so hilariously Disney. It was just missing a singing lobster or carriage clock.
Being continually beaten over the head with Murray Gold’s ‘music’ was one of the things I hated most about the first RTD era, and if anything, he’s got worse. Sometimes less is more, Murray. You don’t need a Tom and Jerry-esque soundtrack to explicitly tell you what emotion you should be feeling in every scene.

roseguy64

Gonna say i loved that and everything made sense at the end too. Forgot they used to do that on the show.

It read a great return for me anyway
Wouldn't say I loved it but I enjoyed it. Not the best episode but a good little appetizer.

MarylandMUFan

She was an awesome doctor, one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the writing for her episodes was the worst in a long time as well as having shit companions so her era is not one to re-watch.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Right down to the dodgy special effects that was some proper good Doctor Who. Best episode for years. It was also nice to see Flux referenced and the Doctor actually show some emotion to half the sodding universe being destroyed. Take note Chibnall.

Trequarista10

It was an excellent episode. It was good that the Doctor had to think his way out of the situation rather than just use the sonic. Genuinely quite frightening enemy.

Nice that they have started to address the fact that the flux destroyed half the universe, and the Timeless Child origin that is yet to be fully explained. Hopefully RTD will be able to make some sense out of that situation.

CGI wasn't noticeably bad imo, especially for Doctor Who standards.

lsd

The Oracle
It was an excellent episode. It was good that the Doctor had to think his way out of the situation rather than just use the sonic. Genuinely quite frightening enemy.

Nice that they have started to address the fact that the flux destroyed half the universe, and the Timeless Child origin that is yet to be fully explained. Hopefully RTD will be able to make some sense out of that situation.

CGI wasn't noticeably bad imo, especially for Doctor Who standards.

In a way it really wasn't the tennant Doctor that talked about the flux but the copy who wasn't fully in tune yet so that might be all we ever get off it.

I enjoyed the episode but have heard some worrying spoilers about next week which I'm hoping isn't true as I'm really looking forward to Ncuti's era

pauldyson1uk

In a way it really wasn't the tennant Doctor that talked about the flux but the copy who wasn't fully in tune yet so that might be all we ever get off it.

I enjoyed the episode but have heard some worrying spoilers about next week which I'm hoping isn't true as I'm really looking forward to Ncuti's era
Do you mean the bi-regeneration ?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just watched the first special last night. Found it really weird that they were incredibly progressive throughout the episode and then when Donna/Rose did the release and were talking to the Doctor they then reaffirmed gender-norms and shat all over the progressiveness to have a cheap dig at men. :confused:

lsd

The Oracle
it's looking like the leaks are real as Russell Davis has said he will go live after tomorrow's show to explain what just happened which doesn't bode well if you have to explain what you just aired

From what i can gather 14 Will regenerate but it goes wrong and 15 will be pulled alongside him existing earlier than was planned. 14 Will then go and live with the Nobles as 15 goes off in his tardis. At some stage 14 will go off and die in another tardis and go through the events of these 3 specials again this time as 15 whose tardis will somehow revert back as one. I mean the flux was easier to get [ /SPOILER]