Day 3: England vs Croatia | Austria vs North Macedonia | Netherlands vs Ukraine

Have I just seen that Van Aarnholt is playing ahead of Wijndal for the Dutch?

What is the story with today and left backs?

I'm not disagreeing that some of the Southgate hysteria is over the top. Only the notion that because he was a player he knows more about football than anyone else.

It infers that anybody who played the game can't be criticised as a manager by mere supporters. Southgate doesn't deserve some of the criticism he receives, but at the same time he hasn't done anything to be immune from criticism either.

He seems an excellent man manager and builds a great team spirit which is a real plus for England. But he's super conservative and lacks balls.

Yes. Don't disagree with you on that. But it is correct to say that he does know more about managing the national team than pretty much all of his detractors.

He is a naturally cautious manager.
But all I am pointing out is that tournament football is totally different to individual games.
It is all about getting a solid foundation from which to build.
I am happy to support the manager and his team on the basis that he knows what he is doing and why he is doing it.
If we fail badly, then he definitely comes under fire.

Both are starting

Nope, the lineup is:

Memphis Weghorst
Wijnaldum
F. De Jong De Roon
Van Aanholt Blind De Vrij Timber Dumfries
Stekelenburg​

Wijndal's been very poor offensively and with crosses in the friendlies and Van Aanholt was more of a threat going forward whenever he's made cameos for the Dutch this past year.

De Ligt has a groin injury but should be ready for the 2nd game.

After 1 game at the top level
Literally. :lol:

I’m far from a Fred fan, but jeez. One decent game at international level against a Croatian side on their last legs hardly gets you going gaga.

Yes. Don't disagree with you on that. But it is correct to say that he does know more about managing the national team than pretty much all of his detractors.

He is a naturally cautious manager.
But all I am pointing out is that tournament football is totally different to individual games.
It is all about getting a solid foundation from which to build.
I am happy to support the manager and his team on the basis that he knows what he is doing and why he is doing it.
If we fail badly, then he definitely comes under fire.

Ah yeah I totally respect you for that.

But as an Irish United fan I reserve the right to call him a gobshite!

Oh fair enough, I thought the poster meant Wijnaldum :lol:

I honestly didn’t know the other player exist

Be a bit weird if I was moaning about them not playing Wijnaldum at LB!

In all seriousness though, Wijndal is absolutely class. I could maybe understand going for a more conservative choice if they were playing a back 4, but at wingback you surely back him.

Ah yeah I totally respect you for that.

But as an Irish United fan I reserve the right to call him a gobshite!

Good man. I enjoy reading your normally very interesting posts.
At least you are someone who is open minded rather than just rubbishing posts you don't necessarily agree with.

Schweinsteiger bets that Ukraine will take the lead within the first minutes and he says his female TV co-host has to carry him out of the stadium if he's right even though she has hip pain. The pinnacle of punditry.

Surely our best footballer, but I can’t bring myself to like him for some reason. Too arrogant and his career doesn’t really back up his attitude IMHO. Could’ve been a lot more overall
I think overall he has proven to be a good footballer, well respected in the PL etc.
However, I agree. He tries so hard to be cool it feels a bit comical.
Anyway, football is entertainment so I enjoy the moment and I like that he is a player that makes us a more interesting side to watch.
Gregoritsch probably was the more dangerous attacking player that came onto the pitch though.

On another note Sabitzer has been quite good, I did not know he can be a bit hot headed as well.

Ajax Arena looks way more full than 60%, great to see.

Uh oh first big malfunction of ITV coverage.

Shit formation and shit lineup as expected. Can't see us doing well in this tournament with De Boer as our manager but here's hoping.

All the top nations getting home games - I can’t stand the idea