Day 2: Spain vs. Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why were Spain's midfield so static? There was no closing down and protection for the back 4 seemed non-existent. It honestly looked like they were a couple of yards off the pace. Unless that can be addressed, Spain won't make a ripple this year.

I'd say that having two 33/34 years old and not-the-most-mobile-in-the-world-Busquets pretty much killed them that game. Bar their full backs there was no pace in the team and they've got absolutely destroyed.

Plus Costa was shite that match, Torres went full retard again with him not being able to tap it into the empty net and there was absolutely no balance in that team. Remember that they scored just one bloody goal from a penalty they cheated for, absolutely embarrassing.

I suppose that if they just removed Xavi/Alonso and put Koke in the midfield and took off Silva or Iniesta for Navas, they'd be fixed. I wouldn't start Costa either, put Negredo or Llorente ( if they even went to Brazil that is ) there et voila. You can't predict that your CB pairing will be as shite as theirs yesterday but hey, that's what you get for playing two ticking timebombs in there.

Last edited:
Iniesta was still class, his through pass to set up Silva was out of this world.

Head and shoulders above the rest.
Yep, he also was the only Spain player who got 2 rating stars from AS. Everyone else got 1 star, apart from Casillas, Ramos and Pique: they didn't get any rating, just like Fellaini against Bayern!
Robben, RvP and Blind got the highest ratings from AS: 3 stars. Good judgement by AS.

Well what? You still think the Netherlands team isn't good?

Spain were poor last night but they still have the best squad in the tournament. They lost the 2010 opener too, let's not get carried away.
I really doubt that they can repeat it this time. The problems of them are much deeper (IMO) than the result of last night. Apparently Del Bosque before the game said that Barca's decline hasn't affected Spain, but that cannot be true when half of Spain's team are Barca boys.

The biggest problem IMO is the significant decline of Xavi, closely followed by Casillas turning from the best keeper in the world in a very average one. Not sure that these two things can be improved on this tournament.

I really doubt that they can repeat it this time. The problems of them are much deeper (IMO) than the result of last night. Apparently Del Bosque before the game said that Barca's decline hasn't affected Spain, but that cannot be true when half of Spain's team are Barca boys.

The biggest problem IMO is the significant decline of Xavi, closely followed by Casillas turning from the best keeper in the world in a very average one. Not sure that these two things can be improved on this tournament.
If Del Basque pulls his head out and starts using DDG, Koke, mata etc. then things can rapidly improve. The chances of him doing that are slim, though.

Anyway, Spain may have been hammered in the end but they did dominate the first half, mostly. They looked totally shellshocked when RvP got his goal, they're really not used to conceding once they go ahead, and it showed then, cause they just weren't sure what to do. If Silva had put his chance away, it would've been a different story.

I picked Spain to win it before it started, I don't want them to, but I'm not writing them off yet. That's an experienced side.

If Del Basque pulls his head out and starts using DDG, Koke, mata etc. then things can rapidly improve. The chances of him doing that are slim, though.

Anyway, Spain may have been hammered in the end but they did dominate the first half, mostly. They looked totally shellshocked when RvP got his goal, they're really not used to conceding once they go ahead, and it showed then, cause they just weren't sure what to do. If Silva had put his chance away, it would've been a different story.

I picked Spain to win it before it started, I don't want them to, but I'm not writing them off yet. That's an experienced side.

You could say the same if Sneijder had scored first or if Rizzoli didn't grant them a penalty.

De Gea, Koke, mata etc are a fair point, but as you said it is very unlikely for that to happen. Also, I am not sure that they will have an immediate impact considering that Spain has been playing this system for quite a few years now. Koke is better than Xavi for example, but will his play be suited to Spain's game is a big doubt.

If Spain manages to qualify, then most likely it will be from second place. Brazil schooled them last year so it will be a very difficult match for them. Ruling out Spain would be foolish - of course - but I think that their chances of winnint it are very slim. I said before the WC that I hope that they'll do a France 2002, still early but the signs that it can happen are there.

Xavi said before the Netherland game that they shouldn't change the style and that they will either win or die with that style! Wise words indeed!

You could say the same if Sneijder had scored first or if Rizzoli didn't grant them a penalty.

De Gea, Koke, mata etc are a fair point, but as you said it is very unlikely for that to happen. Also, I am not sure that they will have an immediate impact considering that Spain has been playing this system for quite a few years now. Koke is better than Xavi for example, but will his play be suited to Spain's game is a big doubt.

If Spain manages to qualify, then most likely it will be from second place. Brazil schooled them last year so it will be a very difficult match for them. Ruling out Spain would be foolish - of course - but I think that their chances of winnint it are very slim. I said before the WC that I hope that they'll do a France 2002, still early but the signs that it can happen are there.
We'll see. it's a tough world cup to call. I had Germany as favourites before but their injuries have fecked them over a little. Brazil might do it but I wasn't particularly impressed with them against Croatia.

I still can't believe this actually happened. The world champions getting spanked by a Dutch team no one was speaking about before the tournament. Just goes to show you can never underestimate the Dutch especially when they have RvP and Robben leading the team.

I still can't believe this actually happened. The world champions getting spanked by a Dutch team no one was speaking about before the tournament. Just goes to show you can never underestimate the Dutch especially when they have RvP and Robben leading the team.
And van Gaal in charge :drool:

I will never disrespect Casillas for everything he did for Spain and Real Madrid, but yes , Casillas tonight performance is one of the worst GK performance i have seen in my entire life actually.....(25 years watching football on TV)

You must've missed Massimo Taibi's performance for Man Utd v Chelsea on Oct 03, 1999.

That opening sentence, ha! If Silva puts Spain 2 up like he should have, moments before RVPs great header, we would be talking of another Spanish masterclass. Cesc,Pedro and Villa have been off form going in to this world cup. del Bosque will know that if his defence plays better, they will have more than a chance of going through.
The game showed that Spain cannot deal with adversity. Yes they should have gone 2-0 and then RVP equalised, so what. They are supposedly the best team in the world but came out for the 2nd half as though they thought it would just all slot into place without them putting the effort and concentration in. They could go through, but if they don't beat Chile next game, they more than likely won't. Then they need the manager/new manager to make the changes that are needed and not hold on to players through sentimentality and past glories.

If Silva puts Spain 2 up like he should have, moments before RVPs great header, we would be talking of another Spanish masterclass.

If Sneijder scores his one on one.

If the ref didn't gift Spain a soft pen.

If that Spain defence didn't play like a bunch of bearded muppets.

Ifs.

One thing cup tournament's have shown is that teams that generally win is those that peak at the right time. I never seen a team peak early and maintain that level throughout.

29dipmr.jpg

One thing cup tournament's have shown is that teams that generally win is those that peak at the right time. I never seen a team peak early and maintain that level throughout.

Exactly this, wasnt it in euro 2008 that Holland were blowing everyone apart in the early games? Im sure that was the case, and they didnt sustain it throughout.

To those who replied ti me, costa also got put through At least 2 other times and didn't do anything. He hasnt impressed me much to be honest, Dont see the hype there. First half Spain were in control til the RVP goal. The dutch came out much better in the second half and made them pay for that suicidal highline. Only calling it suicidal because Pique is in crap form, Azpi isnt used to the style and the less said about Cassilas the better.

By the way, surely Costas pen wasnt cheating. If costa meant to plant his leg there and fall like that then he is a better cheat than I give him credit for.

I still haven't got over Van Persie's goal...the high 5 ruined it though. Shame.

We'll see. it's a tough world cup to call. I had Germany as favourites before but their injuries have fecked them over a little. Brazil might do it but I wasn't particularly impressed with them against Croatia.
Is it only Reus injured from the big players?

Meant to post this yesterday. Didn't expect 5-1 but certainly Spain are not what they were. The drugs don't work no more, boys, as we've seen with Barca. Gone gone gone.

Meant to post this yesterday. Didn't expect 5-1 but certainly Spain are not what they were. The drugs don't work no more, boys, as we've seen with Barca. Gone gone gone.
You mean the Dutch have even better drugs? Because their superiority yesterday relied much more on having physical edge than Spain did ever.

Quite a claim.

Ter Stegen
L.Bender ? Badstuber Schmelzer
S.Bender Gundogan
Volland Meyer Reus
Gomez
Well, only Reus would have been a starter anyway. Gundogan probably would have played a part but it was known that he'll miss anyway. Not sure that half of those others would have been called even if they weren't injured (like Ter Stegen who wasn't called).

looking at who draws who in the knockout stages, if holland finish top, which they probably will seeing how poor chile's defence is, then i can see them easily reaching the semi's at the very least

Well, only Reus would have been a starter anyway. Gundogan probably would have played a part but it was known that he'll miss anyway. Not sure that half of those others would have been called even if they weren't injured (like Ter Stegen who wasn't called).

i think at least badstuber, lars bender, gundogan, reus and gomez would get minutes for ze germans at this wc.

Strangely they still worked for Rafa last week when he won Roland Garros.

I guess they only work when we win something...

So so impressed with the Dutch, incredible performance. They must be on cloud nine right now. Robben had a stormer and the Spainards shat their pants every time he decided to go forward. It was like Ronaldo was running at them. RVP also did very well. Great first goal, but his desire and work rate impressed me even more. I really hope they keep this up and go very far. They do say they're incredibly fit and ready for the tournament.

Incredible game of football. In terms of ability there's little comparison between the two sides, and once Costa cheated the ref into winning a penalty, it looked like it was going to be a very exhausting and frustrating night for the ditch team. But bloody, the way they reacted was absolutely amazing. Their big players, rvp and robben were brilliant, but I was especially impressed by their quick transitions. At times they played first time lobbed passed, other times they just passed it swiftly. That combination of an electric combination and their overall comfort on the ball was lovely to see.

And that rvp goal is a thing of absolute beauty.

Strangely they still worked for Rafa last week when he won Roland Garros.

I guess they only work when we win something...
tbf to spain if they did win all that they did on drugs then it is some achievement. Ive played football on drugs many times and it hasn't worked out near as well :p

This match reminded me of what a quality player we have in van Persie
There was this one touch of his when receiving the ball which completely left he defender for dead. Magical stuff. When fit he is a special player.

Gundohan and reus are absolutely brilliant players though. I think the loss of reus will cost them eventually.

This will go down as one of the great international performances and it's bloody exciting that our new manager is in charge of it. Really should have been at least 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.