David Hancko

He’s exceptionally comfortable at LCB/LB and also playing more in the middle of the park as the team pushes forward too.

He’ll be turning 27 in December so possibly age may be putting us off here and might be the reason for the apparent preference for Branthwaite?
I'd hate for 26 to be considered "too old" at that price, especially for a defender.

If he's going he might as well go to United. He's excellent and plat LB and CB equally well.

50 million and he's all yours.
I think if United bid 30 million Hancko is yours. We are quite well off financially at the moment, but not really in a position to say no to those figures. We also usually cooperate with players who are clearly ready for a step up.
You've already dropped your asking price by 20m in two weeks! If we wait another 3 weeks we might get him for free!

Really like this guy now I've watched a few YouTube videos.

He looks top level like he could play instead of or rotate with Martinez and Shaw at LCB and LB.

Hopefully he is a target of ours.

So is this the guy that came in to replace Malacia and was bought for 6mil Euros as a 24yo from Fiorentina?

Pretty shocking defensive stats on FBRef. Is this because he actually played LB mostly (the comparison is against CBs)?

https://fbref.com/en/players/4fac8f81/David-Hancko
Wouldn't ever judge a defenders performance by fbref. Tells you more about their team's style of play. Feyenoord are likely dominant in most league games so he just doesn't need to put in a huge volume of tackles, interceptions etc.

Come on buy him, don't let him go to that shithouse club.
He was bought for 6mil euros as a 24yo two years ago.
If Malacia struggled with the Premier League this guy would be no different.

He was bought for 6mil euros as a 24yo two years ago.
If Malacia struggled with the Premier League this guy would be no different.
If you think Malacia is anywhere near as good as Hancko I severely doubt you've watched him alot. They're also completely different players. Nothing alike.

Also, obligatory Jaap Stam reference.

If you think Malacia is anywhere near as good as Hancko I severely doubt you've watched him alot. They're also completely different players. Nothing alike.

Also, obligatory Jaap Stam reference.
They both play as LBs as far as I am aware so the basic requirements for that position is to have speed, be a good defender and help with the attacking side on that flank.
Malacia was sold for about 15mil quid and this bloke was bought for about 4mil quid as a 24yo so I imagine he won't be setting the world on fire once he is in a tough league

They both play as LBs as far as I am aware so the basic requirements for that position is to have speed, be a good defender and help with the attacking side on that flank.
Malacia was sold for about 15mil quid and this bloke was bought for about 4mil quid as a 24yo so I imagine he won't be setting the world on fire once he is in a tough league
So you have three facts available to you - the fee for their last transfer, how long ago they were 24, and the position they play in (and you're kind of only half right there).

From this you can divine that both players are functionally identical and doomed to failure?

Hancko almost exclusively plays as a CB, but is indeed equally good as a left back. That's where similarities end though. Malacia is a tenacious tackler, but a very weak defender positionally who gets caught out about 5 times a game. He's also rather limited on the ball. Hancko is very composed and a more intelligent defender. He's far better on the ball and when playing left back, a much bigger threat. Malacia is probably a bit faster and far more explosive.

The only thing the transfer fees tell me is that you made a very bad deal for Malacia and we made a very good one for Hancko. I mean, Antony went for about 100 million at 21 whereas 25 year old Mbappe was free.

Last edited:
Hancko almost exclusively plays as a CB, but is indeed equally good as a left back. That's where similarities end though. Malacia is a tenacious tackler, but a very weak defender positionally who gets caught out about 5 times a game. He's also rather limited on the ball. Hancko is very composed and a more intelligent defender. He's far better on the ball and when playing left back, a much bigger threat. Malacia is probably a bit faster and far more explosive.

The only thing the transfer fees tell me is that you made a very bad deal for Malacia and we made a very good one for Hancko. I mean, Antony went for about 100 million at 21 whereas 25 year old Mbappe was free.
Look at Kirk, making serious football replies! :nervous:

:lol:

You cannot use Antony in any comparison...he is the worst buy in Premier League history :lol:
But fair enough you have made some good points and I will look out for him if we come across him in a European game in the future.

You cannot use Antony in any comparison...he is the worst buy in Premier League history :lol:
But fair enough you have made some good points and I will look out for him if we come across him in a European game in the future.
:angel:

We are such shite negotiators. Ajax manages to sell Calvin Fecking Bassey for only 5 million less.

Apparently Atletico's bid is only 20 million without any bonusses. Feck that.

They'd add 25m onto that for United. Fecking sick of clubs taking the piss out of us.

Looking at the fees of Calafiori and Hancko, think we made a mistake going all in on Branthwaite for the LCB. Especially as funds seem tight, in terms of us needing to sell in order to buy.

We'd have still probably initially come up against the United Tax, though with other clubs involved they'd have still had to accept our bids once they'd accepted others. Whereas Branthwaite's ludicrous valuation meant we were the only club trying to negotiate a more sensible fee for him.

Nah, if you bid 30 he's probably yours.
Think we'd need to sell first, so even if there is interest we can't bid yet. Would need Hancko to wait, but understandable he'll go to Atletico if he has a good offer from them. Might be guaranteed a starting spot too, although I'm not up to date on their situation in that respect

Could've gotten this guy or Ferdi. Instead we're aiming for Mazraoui who barely plays every year.

Looks very slow for a fullback.

I'm kind of not on the hype train of buying fullbacks that are actually centre backs.

We don't play like Manchester City & we never will because they have Guardiola and we never will. I don't even need to bring players like Haaland and De Bruyne or Rodri to the equation.

This idea that we need to exactly play like City to overtake them is overrated imo. He is arguably the best manager of all time and soon as he departs City this need to play possesion football attitue with ball playing defenders, these CB's playing at fullback, sweeper keepers that are good on the ball, False 9's with inverted forwards etc will slowly mellow out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see football go back to a more individualistic style especially as Guardiola's influence on the game will slowly fade away, until then you got to let the best possesion footballing team in the world play to their strengths & for us to focus on ours, because becoming City 2.0 whilst City 1.0 is around isnt simply going to win playing their game as we have seen with Arteta literally copying and buying both City tactics and players. Klopp played a totally different game to Pep as did Ancelotti and have been the most succesful managers alongside Pep during this era.

Pass on Hancko for me.

Looks very slow for a fullback.

I'm kind of not on the hype train of buying fullbacks that are actually centre backs.

We don't play like Manchester City & we never will because they have Guardiola and we never will. I don't even need to bring players like Haaland and De Bruyne or Rodri to the equation.

This idea that we need to exactly play like City to overtake them is overrated imo. He is arguably the best manager of all time and soon as he departs City this need to play possesion football attitue with ball playing defenders, these CB's playing at fullback, sweeper keepers that are good on the ball, False 9's with inverted forwards etc will slowly mellow out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see football go back to a more individualistic style especially as Guardiola's influence on the game will slowly fade away, until then you got to let the best possesion footballing team in the world play to their strengths & for us to focus on ours, because becoming City 2.0 whilst City 1.0 is around isnt simply going to win playing their game as we have seen with Arteta literally copying and buying both City tactics and players. Klopp played a totally different game to Pep as did Ancelotti and have been the most succesful managers alongside Pep during this era.

Pass on Hancko for me.
For me it’s not about trying to be like Man City but rather build a functional squad with a restrictive budget. We had two problem areas in defence last season in LCB and LB, in Hancko there’s an opportunity to strenghten both for a relatively small investment.

Hopefully we hijack this one. Would solve 2 problem positions of LB and LCB cover.

So you have three facts available to you - the fee for their last transfer, how long ago they were 24, and the position they play in (and you're kind of only half right there).

From this you can divine that both players are functionally identical and doomed to failure?

He thinks Yoro is not very good because he doesn't tackle much, so there you go.

Another player in that rubbish league that we are drooling about but 90% of us never seen him kick a ball neither even notice he was playing left back against England.

No thanks. Good luck at Madrid.