darren anderton vs steve mcmanaman

A lot of time has passed since I saw either of them in action but I'd say McManaman by a country mile

McManaman for sure. Darren 'Sicknote' Anderton, nicknamed tampon, because you only seen him once a month, was always hard to get a reading on him, because he was in and out the side all the time. Had a decent 98 world cup. We were after him in 1995 I remember. When Kanchelskis left, he turned us down thinking Spurs where on their way to being a new superpower (there were some who genuinely believes we were finished in 95).

McManaman and Anderton were both starters for England in Euro 96. Both were blinding against Germany. Two different players who provided something to the side.

Pains me to say it but McManaman was better. Anderton was constantly injured as well which didn't help.

Steve Mcmanaman just, maybe if Sicknote wasn’t so injury prone think he would have been a top top player

What Southgate is doing now Hoddle did 20 years ago. A flexible three at the back system,emphasising playing out from the back and rotation of positions. Hoddle is not the best articulator as a pundit but he was a brilliant continental style player and tried to bring those ideas to his teams as manager. But his flaw was he was not easy to get along with by some accounts. Bit arrogant/aloof. Apparently he would demand things from his players in training he knew they couldn't like ping in a volley off the weaker foot from 25 yards so when they failed he would go do it in front of everyone and show them up.

Venables on the other hand had a much more easy going vibe which in international management at least, counts for a lot. Capello is one of the game's great managers in the last 30 years yet the 2010 WC was a disgrace. Then the stories came out how there was little relationship with players and staff which might explain why.

Clough had the same character as Hoddle but he was a great manager. I think players were just a bit too precious with Hoddle and the England bigwigs too uncomfortable with someone doing their own thing.

Just looking on his wiki he made Euro 96 Team of the Tournament and was short listed for best player. Seemed that Hoddle didn't fancy him after that. Shame Tel left in the first place tbh.

Hoddle started Anderton ahead of Beckham at France 98, it was really controversial at the time.

Mcmanaman probably lived up to the potential he had but Anderton was always injured so it's not a fair comparison. I think Anderton would have done well at United but we'll never know

macmanaman played for real madrid scoring a scissor kick in the final, in his younger days he ran from Liverpool's box to celtics scoring a nice goal this was when celtic were a decent side. Still a curly surly looking Kant that left us for nothing ,he was worth 25 million back then.

Mcmanaman was considered as good a player as Giggs or at least there was a debate about who the best wing wizard was.

Anderton as I remember had finesse, could cross, pass and strike a ball from distance - similiar to Beckham, but not the work rate. His nickname 'Sicknote' though is as memorable as his playing ability.

I think Anderton's reputation would have been higher than it is without the injuries.

Also, the Hoddle comments - I don't remember the squad disliking him.

Anderton was the better England player.

McManaman was comfortably the better player though.

McManaman for sure. Darren 'Sicknote' Anderton, nicknamed tampon, because you only seen him once a month, was always hard to get a reading on him, he was in and out the side all the time. Had a decent 98 world cup. We were after him in 1995 I remember. When Kanchelskis left, he turned us down thinking Spurs where on their way to being a new superpower (there were some who genuinely believes we were finished in 95

:lol: :lol: