Cristiano Ronaldo - performances 2017/18

Yeah except i don't have an agenda and have never downplayed his achievements

Yes, and it's pointless because you keep reading things into my posts that aren't there. I say A and you understand Z.

Yes you do. I get along with you and like discussing football with you but not in the Ronaldo issue. Like i said i have read you since the start and even if you mellow a bit i still remember some remarks. But that's ok. Players are not unanimous, only Messi gets close. Even if the player is part of your team, as seen by my remark of Pedro Barbosa.

You say he's had a very poor season... and then you say it's not a criticism. What is it then?

It matters to the discussion because almost all of those poor games came from him playing in a setup that doesn't suit him and never has which should matter when acessing a player's performances. Not that it excuses him from those performance being poor but it should be taken into consideration, that's all.

When did 'set up' start affecting the legendary Cristiano Ronaldo's quality?I have seen him play in every set up and formation imaginable and he still ended up dominating the games. Set ups only affect mere men like Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial.

Thank you for reminding me that i'm a Sporting fan. Where did i say i wasn't biased? It's pretty clear that i'm biased. Being portuguese, a Sporting fan and with my historial here, i never claimed otherwise. But i'm flattered your first post is about that but if you read my posts with attention you wouldn't have wasted your post. Your opinion, my opinion, that Barcelona fan opinion is subjective. Enumerating his numbers and achievements is factual and objective posting though.

I wasted my post because I was reading this topic and I was surprised that as a Sporting fan you were trying to downplay that guy's opinion on Ronaldo only because he's a Barca fan with a supposed agenda against him while you're as biased as him. According to your own logic your opinion about him shouldn't be taken into account since you admitted to be biased.

@Peyroteo Disagree, other athletes, especially the arrogant ones, have had a lot of detractors and have been hated as him or even more.

Yes you do. I get along with you and like discussing football with you but not in the Ronaldo issue. Like i said i have read you since the start and even if you mellow a bit i still remember some remarks. But that's ok. Players are not unanimous, only Messi gets close. Even if the player is part of your team, as seen by my remark of Pedro Barbosa.
No i don't, that's you reading something into my posts that was never there. I think i know which remarks you're alluding to(the poacher one especially) and once again, that was a case of me saying one thing and you taking a completely different meaning. For example, I say he's a poacher - i mean -he's mostly(emphasis on mostly) a box player and goalscorer- You read -he's a limited player who only scores easy goals-

That's what grinds on me

I don't have nothing against different opinions but if the other Portuguese poster was from Benfica try to say something regarding Eusebio and they are even worse.

As a matter of fact there is nothing strange with Real Madrid fans, Michel, Butragueno, Hugo Sanchez, Raul, Casillas all left without finishing their careers, why should Cristiano be different?
No no, again, that's perfectly normal. That wasn't meant to be an attack, sorry if that's how you took it

No no, again, that's perfectly normal. That wasn't meant to be an attack, sorry if that's how you took it
Not at all, I may be even 1 of the few posters here who would like to see him retiring from the NT after the WC, and its nothing against him, very few players at Real Madrid stay there until they reach 35 or 36, nothing strange.

When did 'set up' start affecting the legendary Cristiano Ronaldo's quality?I have seen him play in every set up and formation imaginable and he still ended up dominating the games. Set ups only affect mere men like Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial.

The set up doesn't excuse the poor performances he's had, but it's had an impact and it's always been the case. Portugal tried the same thing back in the day given we haven't had a proper striker and it was also a disaster.

Playing Ronaldo as a sole striker only used to work in very specific scenarios, usually playing counter attacking football since he could use his speed to get away from the defenders, now that he's not as fast it never works. Even back then when the team was dominating the match he ended up getting stuck between the CBs and not have a big impact on the game since it's much harder for him to lose the defenders.

It's why Portugal have been playing the likes of André Silva, Eder, Postiga, Hugo Almeida next to him instead of putting him as a striker and playing one of our talented wingers/midfielders instead. We'll get to the World Cup and André "40 million euros, 1 billion instagram followers, 0 league goals" Silva will probably start next to Ronaldo instead of playing Ronaldo as the striker. It would be the right thing to do too. Asensio is a better player than Majoral but when Benzema got injured (and Bale was out) it should have been a front 3 of Isco, Ronaldo and Majoral rather than Isco, Asensio, Ronaldo.

"Ronaldo just scores goals" I read this a lot here.

Greatest strikers of the PL era like Drogba, what else did he do besides score goals? What does the pretty boy Kane do exacly? Dribbles around the field and does rabonas?

It's expected from Barca fans but also insecure Madrilistas that always want a shiny new toy. What really boggles my mind is how Ronaldo remained loyal to such club. Arguably worst fans from the big European clubs. At least city fans defend their own players beyond reason and that loyalty is always good to see.

No i don't, that's you reading something into my posts that was never there. I think i know which remarks you're alluding to(the poacher one especially) and once again, that was a case of me saying one thing and you taking a completely different meaning. For example, I say he's a poacher - i mean -he's mostly(emphasis on mostly) a box player and goalscorer- You read -he's a limited player who only scores easy goals-

That's what grinds on me

We will have to disagree on this mate and that's alright. Off topic is getting too long and i don't want to get drag in into this topic again. Just wanted to give an advice to Peyroteo. Let's leave it at that.

I wasted my post because I was reading this topic and I was surprised that as a Sporting fan you were trying to downplay that guy's opinion on Ronaldo only because he's a Barca fan with a supposed agenda against him while you're as biased as him. According to your own logic your opinion about him shouldn't be taken into account since you admitted to be biased.

Yes exactly. That's why i barely post in the Ronaldo thread. But at least i'm honest and dont hide it. Others claim otherwise when they clearly have agendas. I also don't go to the Messi thread to derail it or make snide remarks like the typical Barcelona fans in this message board. That was the reason for my participation and advice. It's a waste of time and @Peyroteo is getting all worked up with things that aren't worth it. It's part of the football tribalism.

The set up doesn't excuse the poor performances he's had, but it's had an impact and it's always been the case. Portugal tried the same thing back in the day given we haven't had a proper striker and it was also a disaster.
No, i don't even think that's been the case actually. Thinking back, he's had few outright poor performances this season(though a couple of those were ghastly, the clasico above all), it's just that for whatever reason he kept missing chances, and those poor performances came in games we lost or didn't win, so they stuck out more in my memory. Results influencing judgement...

And that goes for the whole team, not just for Cristiano, too

insecure Madrilistas that always want a shiny new toy. What really boggles my mind is how Ronaldo remained loyal to such club. Arguably worst fans from the big European clubs.
Damn right we do :D. Remind me which big club fans don't? The rest isn't even worth replying to(the first is obvious, the second is meaningless)

@Ishdalar I can't be bothered with all that bullshit, that's the most insane, obsessed, pathetic and agenda driven post I've ever read on here. It's completely bonkers and I'm not wasting freaking 2 hours breaking it down line by line. Mostly because it would never stop, I wouldn’t change your mind and you will always have more shit to throw. You say he does nothing but score, I show you an example... you answer' oh but he can only do it because he has space in front of him and people opening that space for him'... It's impossible to get anything out of this.

Most of that post is arguing that he’s not a winger too when I never said he was and he obviously isn't anymore. Wtf

Let me end by explaining easier why I don't give importance to Ronaldo's starting position

DbxGTws.png

All those players part from a starting position where they're mostly harmless but they're bound to be there for spacing and will get touches anyway in highlight videos, but they earn 80% of their contracts when they influence the game in the spot their arrow shows. Real don't pay Ronaldo for the things a player in that starting spot should be doing, same with Messi in the RW, Neymar or Silva, that's what I mean about using his position as a excuse, he can get to the area from 3 sides, and he's equally dangerous from both 3.

He was getting chances anyway when he gravitated towars a lone stiker role, he was just wasteful vs teams like Betis or Girona (19 shots in 2 games, 0 goals). The only difference between you using his role as a excuse or praising him for adapting would be him scoring 0 or 5 goals on those 19 shots.

You're just starting to sound like the Raul battalion ten years ago. "He played out of position", "He's not a striker", "He's not a winger". Then care to explain us what's his position and excuse for stopping converting goals when he had the shots, otherwise you're just scapegoating him missing chances.

Last edited:
And that's precisely where i say that stats lie. You see him score 9 goals and in every game, see it's a record and think it's insane. I see 4 goals against apoel, two of which inconsequential, i see a goal against dortmund in a friendly, i see a somewhat lucky goal at wembley towards the end of a humiliation....and i see the chances he missed in that game while it was still a game, and his poor performance in general. (Going to preempt it. Yes, the whole team was poor. No, i'm not blaming it on him. Yes, he wasn't our worst player, in fact was one of the few who wasn't complete garbage. None of that changes the fact he had a poor game, and the goal doesn't change that in the slightest)

...And i also remember Oleg Salenko being the top scorer of USA '94, ahead of Romario and Baggio. Point is if you want to judge stats, better look them in detail first.

I would. It's not been up to the standards of real madrid. Almost nobody else in the team has been either, but again, that doesn't change anything.

Searching through stats and finding something almost 25 years back to prove that:

Scoring in every CL game, overall 1.5 goals/game , was pure luck and so easy that anyone could do it. The only reason nobody has ever done that before is because nobody wanted to.

Another question is, what do people prefer? A crap forward like Ronaldo who scores 1.5 pure luck goals per CL game or one who performs really well but rarely scores?

Reactions: Sly
Scoring in every CL game, overall 1.5 goals/game , was pure luck and so easy that anyone could do it. The only reason nobody has ever done that before is because nobody wanted to.
What i'm saying is the way he did it wasn't nearly as meaningful for us as the record itself would suggest. In the biggest game in the group he was subpar, even though he scored, because the goal was meaningless. It's an impressive record in and of itself, but it's not that impressive in the context it was achieved. Scoring 10 huge goals in 5 games between QF and Final? That's impressive. I don't really rate his goalscoring exploits in '14 either, by themselves -i do rate his huge impact on the games, including the final, for which he was even unjustly criticized and mocked for the way he celebrated his goal, when he played injured and still had a good game and did a lot of things that helped us win. Bale's goal was started by him tracking back to the edge of our own box in the second extra time to win the ball back and start the counter. He never got enough credit for that game imho, he was a leader throughout, along with Ramos. (He also set up two of our 3 biggest chances in regulation, Bale fecked up both)

Another question is, what do people prefer? A crap forward like Ronaldo who scores 1.5 pure luck goals per CL game or one who performs really well but rarely scores?
That's my point about stats: what is better, a player who scores 10 goals, all the 1-0, in 10 different games, or a player who scores 10 goals in 10 games, but only scores in 4 of those games and 4 of those 10 goals are meaningless?

If i had to give a vote to his season overall, so far, it would be a 5.5 -not a disaster in of itself, but still below par(6)-. What makes it worse is that we rely on him too much for that -we need him to be at least a 7- and he's failed in that regard, so far. And if it were any other great player, my judgement would be the same.

The point about Salenko flew over your head it seems...

PS at this point i'm not even really talking about cristiano anymore, just using him as an example:lol:

Last edited:
Man, are we still discussing here, let the posters here have different opinions, nothing wrong if Madrid fans want new players, they are entitled to it, nothing to do with hatred.

Man, are we still discussing here, let the posters here have different opinions, nothing wrong if Madrid fans want new players, they are entitled to it, nothing to do with hatred.
We've gone beyond discussing cristiano, this is now me vs lazy stats :D

What i'm saying is the way he did it wasn't nearly as meaningful for us as the record itself would suggest. In the biggest game in the group he was subpar, even though he scored, because the goal was meaningless. It's an impressive record in and of itself, but it's not that impressive in the context it was achieved. Scoring 10 huge goals in 5 games between QF and Final? That's impressive. I don't really rate his goalscoring exploits in '14 either, by themselves -i do rate his huge impact on the games, including the final, for which he was even unjustly criticized and mocked for the way he celebrated his goal, when he played injured and still had a good game and did a lot of things that helped us win. Bale's goal was started by him tracking back to the edge of our own box in the second extra time to win the ball back and start the counter. He never got enough credit for that game imho, he was a leader throughout, along with Ramos. (He also set up two of our 3 biggest chances in regulation, Bale fecked up both)

That's my point about stats: what is better, a player who scores 10 goals, all the 1-0, in 10 different games, or a player who scores 10 goals in 10 games, but only scores in 4 of those games and 4 of those 10 goals are meaningless?

If i had to give a vote to his season overall, so far, it would be a 5.5 -not a disaster in of itself, but still below par(6)-. What makes it worse is that we rely on him too much for that -we need him to be at least a 7- and he's failed in that regard, so far. And if it were any other great player, my judgement would be the same.

The point about Salenko flew over your head it seems...

PS at this point i'm not even really talking about cristiano anymore, just using him as an example:lol:
Of course different goals have different impacts. Most top scorers like Kane or Aguero have several hat trick games where most of the goals were pointless. Same for Ronaldo.

I agree RM rely too much on Ronaldo, but I also think that comes from Zidane wanting to build from last years team, and create a new magnificent team from younger RM players. Many of them showed class and potential last year when they were given the chance, but not so much this year. I also believe that many lost points come from pure nonchalance.

Yes I understand the Salenko point and I wrote long time ago that stats is not giving the whole picture, but the fact that you needed to dig 25 years back to find an example that kind of disqualifies the point. And I am of that age that I remember 1994 WC very well. He scored five goals in one game, quite the opposite to Ronaldos scoring in every CL game. And nobody ever said that was a poor performance.

Yes I understand the Salenko point and I wrote long time ago that stats is not giving the whole picture, but the fact that you needed to dig 25 years back to find an example that kind of disqualifies the point. And I am of that age that I remember 1994 WC very well. He scored five goals in one game, quite the opposite to Ronaldos scoring in every CL game. And nobody ever said that was a poor performance.
I didn't have to dig, i went with that because i remembered it off the top of my head. And it's the entire point i'm making: stats have to be looked into their context. Saying that a player had a great season because he scored 50 goals in 50 games is all well and good, then you notice he scored 50 goals in one game and was a dumpster fire in the other 49. Nobody would call that a good season, even though the stats look good! (And obviously, one God-like game :lol:)

I didn't have to dig, i went with that because i remembered it off the top of my head. And it's the entire point i'm making: stats have to be looked into their context. Saying that a player had a great season because he scored 50 goals in 50 games is all well and good, then you notice he scored 50 goals in one game and was a dumpster fire in the other 49. Nobody would call that a good season, even though the stats look good! (And obviously, one God-like game :lol:)
Yes I agree, but I wouldnt say that is the case with Ronaldo. He scored in every CL game. And look at Aguero, a fantastic player btw, he has so far scored 3 goals in two games and 4 goals in one. That’s 10 of his PL goals in 3 games.

Still looks very dangerous. Not a man to ever be written off.

100 champ league goals :cool:
Overall it was his 115th CL goal, 100th for RM and the first player in history to hit it for a single club.

Apparently, it's his 7th season in a row to score 10 or more goals in the competition. That's insane.

Is it me or does he look slightly skinnier than two years ago? Maybe this will help him stay swift and agile, looked sharp enough in the first half. Can score a second for sure.