0_Thierry-Henry-handball.jpg

I knew it would be you :lol:

Mbappe was eligible to play for Cameroon because of his father
Upemecano was eligible to play for Guinea Bissau
Dembele was eligible to play for Senegal
Tchouaméni was eligible for Cameroon
Camavinga was eligible for Angola
Konate was also eligible for Mali

It's not a slight at all, I'm saying that we're talking about Morocco being the first African nation to reach this stage of the tournament, but many of the French players were eligible to play for African nations.

The majority of the french players are wonderkids playing at Real Madrid, PSG but they essentially have dual nationalities.

Some of the brightest prospects in world football are from those nations, so it's nothing to turn our noses up at.

If you're from Cameroon, France might be your natural team because of Mbappe and Tchouaméni.

Imagine for instance if Demble picked to play for Senegal this world cup? They might be in the QF right now.

Just like England has the likes of Rice, Saka, Grealish.

It's not a slight at all, I'm saying that we're talking about Morocco being the first African nation to reach this stage of the tournament, but many of the French players were eligible to play for African nations.

The majority of the french players are wonderkids playing at Real Madrid, PSG but they essentially have dual nationalities.

Some of the brightest prospects in world football are from those nations, so it's nothing to turn our noses up at.

If you're from Cameroon, France might be your natural team because of Mbappe and Tchouaméni.

Imagine for instance if Demble picked to play for Senegal this world cup? They might be in the QF right now.

Mate, they've been born (aside from Camavinga who moved there with his parents aged 2), raised and taught in France. They chose to play for the country where they spent most of their lives. Instead of constantly bringing up this flawed and tired argument, why not learn from them?

Mate, they've been born (aside from Camavinga who moved there with his parents aged 2), raised and taught in France. They chose to play for the country where they spent most of their lives. Instead of constantly bringing up this flawed and tired argument, why not learn from them?

It's just the effects of Globalisation it's present in all nations, if England went on to win you could say that obviously we have some great Irish players too, it's not a knock at all.

My point is that it's a game where it's very much french but also African talent on show, so there's still some Senegalese talent and Cameroon talent there too.

Yes born and raised in France the majority, but they still have ties because of their parents.

My children are a mix of two nationalities too, I don't think its a tired argument at all.

I genuinely thought Deschamps got away with it last night.

Lax game management, 1 sub all night. Really Coman should be starting ahead of Dembele as he was hardly in the game even with all the intention on Mbappe.

Apparently going on French perspective from match thread Camavinga is complete rubbish now so that's why he's not even allowed to come on as 10 minute impact sub these days, is this true as 18 months back he was Bellingham standard in terms of world class prospect. Pavard not being used at all despite him starting all games in 2018 is another surprise to me.

Wonder what Deschamps would've done if it had gone into extra time and he'd have had to use fresh legs then which would have probably weakened their first 11 a fair bit.

If they were playing a Spain/Portugal in SF I'm not sure they'd be getting away with reaching another final but Morocco will be pretty gassed although Hakimi is ideal to counter Mbappe given he trains against him on daily basis and has had a brilliant tournament.

Still think they'll be a sting in the tail in the final. If Croatia aren't completely out on their feet again I think they'll give France a better game than in 2018 when their midfield got physically dominated by Pogba-Kante.

Lax game management, 1 sub all night. Really Coman should be starting ahead of Dembele as he was hardly in the game even with all the intention on Mbappe.

Apparently going on French perspective from match thread Camavinga is complete rubbish now so that's why he's not even allowed to come on as 10 minute impact sub these days, is this true as 18 months back he was Bellingham standard in terms of world class prospect. Pavard not being used at all despite him starting all games in 2018 is another surprise to me.

Wonder what Deschamps would've done if it had gone into extra time and he'd have had to use fresh legs then which would have probably weakened their first 11 a fair bit.

If they were playing a Spain/Portugal in SF I'm not sure they'd be getting away with reaching another final but Morocco will be pretty gassed although Hakimi is ideal to counter Mbappe given he trains against him on daily basis and has had a brilliant tournament.

Still think they'll be a sting in the tail in the final. If Croatia aren't completely out on their feet again I think they'll give France a better game than in 2018 when their midfield got physically dominated by Pogba-Kante.
Croatia dominated midfield, Kante was subbed at the 55th minute, some say it was because of illness, but he was having a really bad game

it’s hard to sum up an entire country in one moment but i think the fact that france didn’t let kane retake his penalty because it was so bad, really shows who they are as people and another world cup won’t wash away that stain.

How many of the French players are eligible to play in African nations?

Couldn't France vs Morocco just be an African Semi in some ways?
Probably not

Bounou - Canada
Hakimi - Spain
Aguerd - Morocco
Saiss - France
Mazraoui - Netherlands
Amrabat - Netherlands
Amallah - Belgium
Ounahi - Morocco
Ziyech - Netherlands
Boufal - France
En-Nesyri - Morocco

The one missing a trick here is LvG

Your statement is fallacious. Dembela, if he picked Senegal, wouldn't be in the world cup or wouldn't make it to the QF. Why? Because one star is not enough. The French football training system is what is allowing those players to blossom, and them playing together is what makes them reach the QF or even win the WC.

Africa would need more of those players but most if not all of the players you mention are born in France so that point is even pointless.

I will never understand this obsession with trying to change people's nationalities.

My point is that it's a game where it's very much french but also African talent on show, so there's still some Senegalese talent and Cameroon talent there too.
How come being born and living your entire life in France somehow is not enough for being French, but doing none of those things and just having ties through one of your parents or grandparents is enough to make somebody "African"?

Camavinga is a good player and has been pretty good for Real Madrid but he hasn't settled for France. It's probably nerves more than anything but he has often been a liability for France. Pavard has just been dreadful for France for a while, if we are being serious he shouldn't even be with the team, it would have made more sense to have Kalulu, Mukiele or even Gusto.

Probably not

Bounou - Canada
Hakimi - Spain
Aguerd - Morocco
Saiss - France
Mazraoui - Netherlands
Amrabat - Netherlands
Amallah - Belgium
Ounahi - Morocco
Ziyech - Netherlands
Boufal - France
En-Nesyri - Morocco

The one missing a trick here is LvG

It's surprising how many of the Morroco players could have added a lot of steel to the Dutch team, some great players there.

Your statement is fallacious. Dembela, if he picked Senegal, wouldn't be in the world cup or wouldn't make it to the QF. Why? Because one star is not enough. The French football training system is what is allowing those players to blossom, and them playing together is what makes them reach the QF or even win the WC.

Africa would need more of those players but most if not all of the players you mention are born in France so that point is even pointless.

France football has great systems in place for building players for sure which is why they have blossomed like you said, so its only a half truth to my statement yes.

Senegal did make it to the RO16 though, England literally just played them, and of course with Mane fit they could have maybe even beaten England.

How come being born and living your entire life in France somehow is not enough for being French, but doing none of those things and just having ties through one of your parents or grandparents is enough to make somebody "African"?

It is enough to be French, they are French. It's all they've ever known but they have roots through a direct parent where the household culture has ties.

If your father is German and your mother is Spanish and you live in Spain then you are still part German although you are raised in Spain.

For example my Children are half Mexican and I'm British and we don't live in Britain or Mexico, but my Children are still half British half Mexican but obviously he grows up in a country he identifies with because he grows up there.

We still speak those native tongues, there's still those cultural influences, so it's not black and white with any of these things.

You still have those influences because of your parents, I have Bosnian friends that grew up in the US but left at the age of four to live in the US during the refugee crisis but even though they grow up in US they still feel a small part Bosnian.

Last edited:

That part isn't true. In fact you have assumed that players have a dual nationality when you don't know which is weird beyond belief.

It is enough to be French, they are French. It's all they've ever known but they have roots through a direct parent where the household culture has ties.

If your father is German and your mother is Spanish and you live in Spain then you are still part German although you are raised in Spain.

For example my Children are half Mexican and I'm British and we don't live in Britain or Mexico, but my Children are still half British half Mexican but obviously he grows up in a country he identifies with because he grows up there.

You still have those influences because of your parents, I have Bosnian friends that grew up in the US but left at the age of four to live in the US during the refugee crisis but even though they grow up in US they still feel a small part Bosnian.
Then why are you arguing for it being African semifinal, despite the fact that Moroccan players have much more ties to Europe than French players have to Africa?

That part isn't true. In fact you have assumed that players have a dual nationality when you don't know which is weird beyond belief.

I mean more eligible but I get your point and its a contentious point, the players are French because they live there for their entire lives I don't deny that.

And I know nobody likes the discussion of those things like the post above that Moroccan players can play for the NL too, France has all the wonderkids to dominate national football for another 2 world cups end of the day

Then why are you arguing for it being African semifinal, despite the fact that Moroccan players have much more ties to Europe than French players have to Africa?

I'm not saying its an African Semi Final, France are a European team, but I'm saying there's players that could represent Senegal and Cameroon on eligibility, so Cameroon fans might support France in the game, or Senegal might support France because of Dembele.

I mean more eligible but I get your point and its a contentious point, the players are French because they live there for their entire lives I don't deny that.

And I know nobody likes the discussion of those things like the post above that Moroccan players can play for the NL too, France has all the wonderkids to dominate national football for another 2 world cups end of the day

They are not eligible unless they are nationals. To be clear, you keep sharing some nonsense, you have no idea about who is eligible or not. And there is nothing to be liked when you are out here trying to decide which nationality someone should have based on pure ignorance.

They are not eligible unless they are nationals. To be clear, you keep sharing some nonsense, you have no idea about who is eligible or not. And there is nothing to be liked when you are out here trying to decide which nationality someone should have based on pure ignorance.

They had the option of playing for those nations so it's not out of pure ignorance, just like Rice and Grealish had the option to play for Ireland.

Owen Hargreaves could have played for Canada and England

Dembele was Eligible to play for Senegal, Mali, France and Mauritius but he's lived his entire life in France so he chose France.

I'm not out here trying to decide what Nationality someone is, I said what countries the players could have picked before they picked the French national team.

Matty Cash picked to play for Poland in this World Cup because was competing in a stacked England team, but he was born in Slough in the UK, he has a Polish grandmother.

Obviously there is a process but players can represent different nations based on paternal links, it's part of every national football team because of globalisation.

They had the option of playing for those nations so it's not out of pure ignorance, just like Rice and Grealish had the option to play for Ireland.

Owen Hargreaves could have played for Canada and England

Dembele was Eligible to play for Senegal, Mali, France and Mauritius but he's lived his entire life in France so he chose France.

I'm not out here trying to decide what Nationality someone is, I said what countries the players could have picked before they picked the French national team.

Matty Cash picked to play for Poland in this World Cup because was competing in a stacked England team, but he was born in Slough in the UK, he has a Polish grandmother.

Obviously there is a process but players can represent different nations based on paternal links, it's part of every national football team because of globalisation.

To have the option you need to have the nationality and you need to want the nationality in the first place. And unless you have access to these players personal documents, you have no idea about who they were available to play for at any point.

To have the option you need to have the nationality and you need to want the nationality in the first place. And unless you have access to these players personal documents, you have no idea about who they were available to play for at any point.

You don't need to have the nationality at the time, you do need to be eligible though. It's very unlikely that any of those players would pick their fathers or mothers nations when they grow up in France.

Those players would have to file for passports and go through a lengthy process, and it's unlikely they'd of course do that, but they could.

Matty Cash for example got the passport around a year ago to play for Poland. He made the decision to play for Poland and he's learning Polish now. He's obviously far from the norm, because you have to go back to his grandmother for that.

My Bosnian friends used to support Sweden for Ibrahimovic because of his Bosnian roots but he wasn't officially Bosnian but he was Bosnian-Croatian because of family ties too.

As for I have no idea who they were available to play for it's public knowledge, there's often a tussle for top players if they're eligible at a young age.

https://theathletic.com/3978333/2022/12/10/france-engand-mbappe-kane-dembele/

The Athletic writes ahead of the tie about the confusing nature too literally yesterday by the way. It's obviously nothing new, it's been written about in football for decades now.

It's genuinely not a knock either, again this is part of globalisation. And I'm in favour of globalisation, I don't really like Nationalism I've lived in several countries and as decades and centuries pass borders slowly shrink and get erased and its not a political point either.

But of course World Cups are a time for Nationalism and people love their countries and want them to win, and all of these players are tremendous athletes, the french footballing system has raised some of the best players in recent history

Nobody is 100% British, 100% German, 100% French.

I know it's a sensitive subject though and its fine, plead ignorance and anything else.

Why would M'bappe play for Cameroon ?
His mother is French (born in France with Algerian origines), and his father is born in Cameroon but has no roots with this country (like Higuain is born in France, on a travel..).

By the way, this Morocco-France is more an European match, than an African one.. :
Fjp8fqdXkAAULRP

You don't need to have the nationality at the time, you do need to be eligible though. It's very unlikely that any of those players would pick their fathers or mothers nations when they grow up in France.

Those players would have to file for passports and go through a lengthy process, and it's unlikely they'd of course do that, but they could.

Matty Cash for example got the passport around a year ago to play for Poland. He made the decision to play for Poland and he's learning Polish now. He's obviously far from the norm.

My Bosnian friends used to support Sweden for Ibrahimovic because of his Bosnian roots but he wasn't officially Bosnian but he was Bosnian-Croatian because of family ties too.

As for I have no idea who they were available to play for it's public knowledge, there's often a tussle for top players if they're eligible at a young age.

https://theathletic.com/3978333/2022/12/10/france-engand-mbappe-kane-dembele/

The Athletic writes ahead of the tie about the confusing nature too literally yesterday by the way. It's obviously nothing new, it's been written about in football for decades now.

It's genuinely not a knock either, again this is part of globalisation. And I'm in favour of globalisation, I don't really like Nationalism I've lived in several countries and as decades and centuries pass borders slowly shrink and get erased and its not a political point either.

But of course World Cups are a time for Nationalism and people love their countries and want them to win, and all of these players are tremendous athletes, the french footballing system has raised some of the best players in recent history

Nobody is 100% British, 100% German, 100% French.

I know it's a sensitive subject though and its fine, plead ignorance and anything else.

In which country you can file for passports without nationality?

Truly a golden Generation - worthy of that name. They delivered. Congratulations France!

It's just the effects of Globalisation it's present in all nations, if England went on to win you could say that obviously we have some great Irish players too, it's not a knock at all.

Yes born and raised in France the majority, but they still have ties because of their parents.

My children are a mix of two nationalities too, I don't think its a tired argument at all.
They learned to play football in France. Got coached in France. Went to school in France. Speak French with a French accent (;)probably, that’s the way it works in the English language). They’re French.

Well done on another final France!

Should be an interesting game against Argentina but I fancy France to get some joy in the wide areas.

That said France have been second best for large periods of both knock out games so far and have rode their luck..

Written in the stars? Could well be!

With the amount of talent they have and keep producing Mbappe could have three world cup winners medals by the end of his career.

Most talented squad out there.

I think considering the age of the squad they could make the 2022, 2026 and 2030 finals.

Had a shit tournament though, but so many match winners France always seem to find a goal, outplayed by Morocco today.