Television Comedy Central Roasts

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Have at it, Caftards. Post vids. Charlie Sheen roast was my fav. Sagget and Tyson roasts were great too.

Justin Bieber roast - Bieber gets them good at the end

I watched the Bieber Roast the other day. Natasha Leggero was great. And Pete Davison's line about Kevin Hart had me laughing for ages.

You mean the "Roast with Bieber as the center figure". Buress was the only real person at that roast.

If you want to watch some roasts, start with the oldest ones and work your way down. The newer they get, the less "roasty" and funny they are.

Roasts should be done by comedians not Shaq and Snoop. I thought the beiber one was pretty funny. What'd you guys think of Pete Davidsons dad/911 joke and Jeff Ross using Petes dad to setup a different joke. Too much?

Roasts should be done by comedians not Shaq and Snoop. I thought the beiber one was pretty funny. What'd you guys think of Pete Davidsons dad/911 joke and Jeff Ross using Petes dad to setup a different joke. Too much?
I haven't heard the joke but I can tell you that it isn't too much. With comedy nothing should be considered 'too much'.

I haven't heard the joke but I can tell you that it isn't too much. With comedy nothing should be considered 'too much'.

I agree comedy shouldn't be considered 'too much' even if offensive. Perhaps I should rephrase, I was wondering if the joke worked for people watching? When you make an edgy joke you're taking a risk it will come across really badly and the 2 jokes I'm talking about were both interesting in that sense. I actually think Jeff Ross's joke worked better than the Pete Davidson one.

I agree comedy shouldn't be considered 'too much' even if offensive. Perhaps I should rephrase, I was wondering if the joke worked for people watching? When you make an edgy joke you're taking a risk it will come across really badly and the 2 jokes I'm talking about were both interesting in that sense. I actually think Jeff Ross's joke worked better than the Pete Davidson one.

They actually cut jokes about Paul Walker made by Jeff Ross from the version that aired.

They actually cut jokes about Paul Walker made by Jeff Ross from the version that aired.

Interesting. I'd guess it was directed at Ludacris. I liked the Leggero joke where she said "Hi Ludacris, really enjoyed all your movie"

Interesting. I'd guess it was directed at Ludacris.

Yeah - “‘Move bitch, get out of the way!’ is what Paul Walker should’ve told that tree,” roast veteran Jeff Ross said during his set, referencing Ludacris’ hit song “Move Bitch.” “Too soon? Too fast? Too furious?”

These things are always weird to me. It's okay to make jokes referencing 9/11 or people getting beheaded by ISIS but a Hollywood celeb is off limits.

Yeah - “‘Move bitch, get out of the way!’ is what Paul Walker should’ve told that tree,” roast veteran Jeff Ross said during his set, referencing Ludacris’ hit song “Move Bitch.” “Too soon? Too fast? Too furious?”

These things are always weird to me. It's okay to make jokes referencing 9/11 or people getting beheaded by ISIS but a Hollywood celeb is off limits.

Kinda understandable though. Everybody has some things that either due to personal history or religion or whatever they just can't find funny. It's hypocritical but i can see why they act that like.

It's just a code of conduct that comedians have about telling jokes about celebrities that have died recently or recent tragedies. They will tell them eventually but their is a cooling off period where they won't go near them out of respect for the dead celeb and his/her family/friends/fans. Ironically by the time they would start to tell them, the jokes have lost their impetus and relevance.

I went to see Jimmy Carr about 2 months after Amy Winehouse died and he refused to tell any jokes about her death and quoted the above reason for not doing so. He quickly restarted his act again with a few Radio 1 presenters paedophile jokes and some about Princess Diana, just to point out the hypocrisy of it all. He also wrote a brilliant article in the press about the hypocrisy of comedy and how nothing should be taboo because it restricts humour and causes barriers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/jimmy-carr-defends-his-right-to-make-750437 Doug Stanhope also did a very similar article.

Mind you, we saw Ross Noble a couple of months ago and he went on a bit of a rant about free speech and comedy and the Charlie Hebdo shootings. He then started talking about having sex with an owl (anyone who has seen Ross before will understand why this is normal for him) and he acted out the difficulties of having sex with an owl on stage. He then made some mental connection between an owl and the Prophet Mohammed and came to the conclusion the Prophet Mohammed was and is actually an owl. He then made love to an imaginary Prophet Mohammed in the form of an owl on stage. I was in tears but so many of the audience didn't get the joke or find it funny.

Funny enough I'm currently watching Prior's roast, which is one of the best out there.

I'm probably in the minority who found the Franco roast very underwhelming. Actually, it's the worst one I've seen.

David Husselhoff and Donald Trump roasts were really good...Flava Flav as well

Watched the Bieber one last week, Enjoyed it. Snoop was hilarious.
I'll check out the Charlie Sheen one next.

I've only seen Franco's and Bieber's. They're good but obviously people like Snoop and Shaq have theirs written for them.
They're written and delivered in the exact same way as all the others. I'm sure they all get the help of writers, some more so than others.

It'd be interesting to see a UK version, if done right.

Might just be me, but I find the idea of people getting together where the intention is to make fun of each other (usually by being crass and not actually smart/witty), so said person/people can laugh, point and say things like "ooo you got me there" in an attempt to say "look how great I am... I'm laughing at myself" - to be inherently unfunny.

Might just be me, but I find the idea of people getting together where the intention is to make fun of each other (usually by being crass and not actually smart/witty), so said person/people can laugh, point and say things like "ooo you got me there" in an attempt to say "look how great I am... I'm laughing at myself" - to be inherently unfunny.

You must be a real treat at parties and other social events

Watch the Beiber one yesterday. Surprisingly good, Leggero was the best of the bunch. Like this one: "There are 6 rappers here and Martha Stewart was the one with most jail time", but my favorite one was "Kevin has a huge Napoleon complex. Kevin, Napoleon was the leader of France. Ludacris — France is in Europe. Justin, Europe is a continent. Shaq — a continent is not a free breakfast".

James Franco one was weird, there are more comedians in that one than in Bieber's but it's not as funny, aside from Azis Ansari set. Charlie Sheen one was great

I remember the Jeff Foxworthy one where they roasted everyone except him. It was very weird.

I saw it a while ago but I clearly remember Greg Giraldo roasting him. "You look like one of the village people on casual friday" is an insult I still use on everyone I see who has a 'tache.

The Roast of Bruce Willis is now on Comedy Central. Not as good as some of the others so far but man are they brutal! :lol:

Bieber's was on again a few days ago. That was hilarious. Martha Stewart probably got roasted more than Bieber in that one!

William Shatner's is an absolute classic! Love the ones with Lisa Lampanelli. She is savage! Jeff Ross is always good value!

Watch the Beiber one yesterday. Surprisingly good, Leggero was the best of the bunch. Like this one: "There are 6 rappers here and Martha Stewart was the one with most jail time", but my favorite one was "Kevin has a huge Napoleon complex. Kevin, Napoleon was the leader of France. Ludacris — France is in Europe. Justin, Europe is a continent. Shaq — a continent is not a free breakfast".

James Franco one was weird, there are more comedians in that one than in Bieber's but it's not as funny, aside from Azis Ansari set. Charlie Sheen one was great
Comedians bring their own material. Others have their lines written for them by seasoned roast writers who can be as brutal as they can because its someone else reciting their lines

Are these really that popular in America? I saw a plane towing a banner over Newport Beach for the Bruce Willis one. Just seems like a bunch of in jokes and terribly unfunny digs.

The Roast of Bruce Willis is now on Comedy Central. Not as good as some of the others so far but man are they brutal! :lol:

Bieber's was on again a few days ago. That was hilarious. Martha Stewart probably got roasted more than Bieber in that one!

William Shatner's is an absolute classic! Love the ones with Lisa Lampanelli. She is savage! Jeff Ross is always good value!
I saw Lampanelli on the Celebrity Apprentice a few years ago and she came across as a bit of an unhinged bitch. She's great on the roasts though. Gilbert Gottfried is brilliant on them, the one where he roasted Joan Rivers was bizarre and epic.

The Trump one is just weird, he sits there with a bizarre expression on his face and it seemed to be him trying to kick start his political career. The Situation's attempts at roasting were bloody hard to watch, Whitney Cummings was having none of it either. I think it's the only one where the other roasters turned on someone.