Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JagUTD

Apologies, gas is their main export however they are also rich in oil, 20billion barrels plus in reserve. Self sufficient in both.

Pretty sure the state energy company used to be called Qatar Petrol as well so oil has always been a major part of its economy, even if gas was the main export.

Dion

Why do journalists have selective, short term memory? How do you think Britain and the US were built and the untold devastation they committed around the world?

Why do you think Miguel Delaney wants the UK or US state to own Manchester United? Or are you engaging in a cheeky little bit of whataboutism here?

buchansleftleg

Everyone's entitled to their opinions of course, but some of those who are against the Qatar bid on ethical grounds and championing JR and Ineos bids would do well to look into how much business INEOS has done in joint ventures with the Saudi Regime. My concern is that the INEOS is not the absolute copper bottomed stable company many are thinking. It was created by buying up bits of BP, ICI and BASF - (who had a degree of state involvement historically) and a few years ago was not so profitable a business.

The debt burden of their purchase will be held by Ineos, but their bankers who are giving them the money can ask the company to restrict outgoings ACROSS THE WHOLE GROUP if they are worried and that would include spending on players / infrastructure etc.

What if their move into the car market with grenadier results in a massive class action suit because of safety issue with the car? Will the Saudi's come in and rescue the deal? and help prop up United at the same time?

If the Ineos bid had lots of good detail then it might be credible. Instead we get a press release like something Boris Johnson would send out. If he wins then I expect to see Jim Ratcliffe waving union jack flags while Ziplining down from the roof of the Stretford End. Enjoy it while it lasts because it will be followed up by lots of excuses about shareholder value and returning to long term fiscal stability!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why do you think Miguel Delaney wants the UK or US state to own Manchester United? Or are you engaging in a cheeky little bit of whataboutism here?
Qatar state isn't buying United though is it...

DownRiver

How do you think the banks accrued there money over time? From just good old capitalism? It is more nuanced than Qatar bad, America Good.

stevoc

Why do journalists have selective, short term memory? How do you think Britain and the US were built and the untold devastation they committed around the world?

Also, not that anyone cares, but I can’t reply and have a conversation about topics due to limited posting privileges - apologies if I can’t reply!
I'm sure it'll come up whenever the US/UK governments enter the bidding to buy United.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Double not overwhelming enough?
Eh? Around 45% are "not happy" one way or the other.

People who are "not happy" about the bid do not support it (which is what the poster you quoted was talking about).

Given the options available (and the way they're formulated in the poll), it's not unreasonable to conclude that the number of posters who are actually perfectly happy/fine with a Qatari takeover is around 50% (perhaps even lower - less than one in four have absolutely no reservations).

cyberman

Delaney has been struggling to define sport washing since the news broke. He doesn’t know what he’s arguing against

romufc

But apparently according to people, you cant live and work in Qatar and have wealth without being associated with the "daily crimes" government.

Dion

:lol:

The man works for a Qatari bank majority funded by the Qatari SWF. No financial transaction which amounts to 5% of the countries GDP in an economy centrally controlled by an absolute monarchy without being explicitly signed off and funded by the state.

You can keep your head in the sand as much as you like if it makes you comfortable, but it's not going to convince anyone else.

Oh and @city-puma here's another one of these people you told me don't exist. @Withnail is looking more and more right every day.

RORY65

No, it's definitely a private individual who happens to be the former Prime Minister's son and a relative of the Emir plus the chairman of a bank whose main shareholders are QIA. His dad is estimated to be worth about $1bn but this guy apparently is absolutely flush, presumably he's getting a salary of several billion a year as the chairman of a bank despite their revenues being only a couple of billion dollars a year.

Spoony

The People's President
I thought it might have been a more even split compared to random Twitter polls.
I've always felt fans are more likely to go for the money and all that jazz whether they're from Usworth or Ulan Bator especially the younger ones. Although I think there'll be higher percentage of votes for Ineos on these shores. To be honest none of the bids appeal to me and the I'd rather the Glazers stay(nasty) than Elliot and co.

Revan

Assumptionman
Wikipedia and Google say 61bn revenues. Still not sure even if it was 18bn that makes him a bluffer…I’d love to bluff my way to being the richest man in the UK.
61B is the revenue of their joint ventures with other companies. I think their individual revenue is less than 20B. The profits are the most important part though, and they have varied from 650B (lowest in the last few years) to 1.8B (highest), usually around 1-1.5B.

MUFC OK

Want Qatar even more now - hopefully see the likes of Delaney, Luckhurst and Whitwell have meltdowns.

Firmly believe that it's in the interests of journalists to have a "United in crisis" as it gets more clicks and sells more papers than anything else in the industry.

Dion

Delaney has been struggling to define sport washing since the news broke. He doesn’t know what he’s arguing against
Sportwashing is a well established concept. Miguel doesn't need to explain it to everyone who asks.

If you're struggling here's a peer-reviewed academic piece published in the Sport, Ethics and Philosophy Journal which explains exactly what it is.

Cassidy

:lol:

The man works for a Qatari bank majority funded by the Qatari SWF. No financial transaction which amounts to 5% of the countries GDP in an economy centrally controlled by an absolute monarchy without being explicitly signed off and funded by the state.

You can keep your head in the sand as much as you like if it makes you comfortable, but it's not going to convince anyone else.

Oh and @city-puma here's another one of these people you told me don't exist. @Withnail is looking more and more right every day.
Or I can just state the structure correctly. Its not the state buying United.

stevoc

I've always felt fans are more likely to go for the money and all that jazz whether they're from Usworth or Ulan Bator especially the younger ones. Although I think there'll be higher percentage of votes for Ineos on these shores. To be honest none of the bids appeal to me and the I'd rather the Glazers stay(nasty) than Elliot and co.
Yeah that was inevitable mate and I understand it.

This whole saga has me torn on the one hand I've wanted rid of the Glazers for the best part of 20 years, the the next owners whichever one wins will be better for United. But I have reservations and concerns about both bids.

But not Elliot and Co. they can get to feck. You're right about them.

Dion

Or I can just state the structure correctly. Its not the state buying United.
You can keep saying this, but everyone knows it's a convenient lie.

It's the state buying the club through enough intermediaries that it won't fall foul of ownership rules.

Dion

Wait, they're not?

THEN WHY ARE WE HERE
It's rather sad to watch the mental gymnastics. Either the state is buying it and we'd become state owned, or it isn't and the guy clearly isn't good for the money because he's not a state actor and we're fecked.

cyberman

Sportwashing is a well established concept. Miguel doesn't need to explain it to everyone who asks.

If you're struggling here's a peer-reviewed academic piece published in the Sport, Ethics and Philosophy Journal which explains exactly what it is.
That’s not the point he’s making. Sport washing is an empty phrase to him and has literally struggled to define it when asked.

Cassidy

You can keep saying this, but everyone knows it's a convenient lie.

It's the state buying the club through enough intermediaries that it won't fall foul of ownership rules.
That is possibly true, but I haven't seen that yet myself. Also, I've not supported the bid either, just stating that some things are not quite factually true which are being said.
I'll form my own opinion once the facts are known. The vitriol in here toward anyone with a different option, or anyone not jumping to state things as fact without evidence, is quite alarming, to be honest
There are apparently other private bidders involved aside from Ineos and Qatar also be interesting to find out who

Dion

That’s not the point he’s making. Sport washing is an empty phrase to him and has literally struggled to define it when asked.
I think you're simply imagining all this. Sportswashing isn't a complicated or difficult to understand concept and Qatari investment in United is textbook sportswashing.

cyberman

I think you're simply imagining all this. Sportswashing isn't a complicated or difficult to understand concept and Qatari investment in United is textbook sportswashing.
I’m not imagining it, I’m reading his tweets and replies over the last week. He hasn’t a clue mate, no need to speak for him

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Virtually any wealthy Qatari is linked to the state. As in, without Qatari gas money, that person would not be wealthy and seeking a shiny new toy to display to his competitors in the UAE and Saudi, in their mutual arms race to western relevance.

Dion

That is possibly true, but I haven't seen that yet myself. Also, I've not supported the bid either, just stating that some things are not quite factually true which are being said.
I'll form my own opinion once facts are known
It's not possibly true, it is true. A simple understanding of the Qatari economy is enough to know that there simply isn't source of wealth big enough to buy United that isn't directly controlled by the state.

It's why the bidder is the son of the former PM, a member of the royal family, an employee of a state funded bank which is bankrolled by the Qatari SWF. Those are the facts.

Dion

I’m not imagining it, I’m reading his tweets and replies over the last week. He hasn’t a clue mate, no need to speak for him
Like I said, sportswashing is about as cryptic as the offside rule. You don't have to explain it every time you talk about an offside decision.

If you have a specific exchange you think shows his lack of understanding of sportswashing then please do share, but I've also been following him for a long time and he's consistently criticised sportswashing in football and displayed no lack of understanding of the concept.

Cassidy

Virtually any wealthy Qatari is linked to the state. As in, without Qatari gas money, that person would not be wealthy and seeking a shiny new toy to display to his competitors in the UAE and Saudi, in their mutual arms race to western relevance.
That doesn't make the buyer the state.

romufc

I'll form my own opinion once facts are known.
There are apparently other private bidders involved aside from Ineos and Qatar also, be interesting to find out who
The hypocrisy from fans is great.

Al Thani bids as private individual to buy the club - fans "Dont be silly, get your head out the sand, its state funded, no one in Qatar has that money without the state"
Ratcliffe will take loans to pay to clear debt - same fans " Reports say, INEOS will fund the debt"

If its Ratcliffe, believe what is reported, if its from Al Thani, use your common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.