Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlPistacho

They are required by law to maximize shareholder profits.

Debt incurred to buy the club will be paid by the club. Its a leveraged buyout, just like the last one.
The amount of people who think the debt not being in United’s name means United won’t pay it off is actually very scary.

Rooney1987

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64684703

"...There are also expected to be at least two offers for United from the United States, while there have been suggestions of interest from Saudi Arabia.

That means there could be up to five parties trying to negotiate a full sale, with others looking to make a smaller investment in return for a partial stake in the 20-time English league champions....."
Have we had any info or even rumours on the US bids? With Chelsea the US bids had been pretty open and public.

Tarrou

Not seen anybody with any reliability confirm this. The guy is an 'E-sports reporter'
its logical though

Ineos can surely get cheaper debt than United, given their revenues

I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t pay off the club debt.. they’d save money

Nights

Well, if he does, it would be in the top 10 greatest anime betrayals.

Seriously though, INEOS can handle it. They don't need our profits.
Incredibly naive take here. INEOS shareholders would riot if they took on the debt with no contribution from United. Like others have said, corporate finance doesn’t work like that.

IWat

Incredibly naive take here. INEOS shareholders would riot if they took on the debt with no contribution from United. Like others have said, corporate finance doesn’t work like that.
It's a private company and he's the majority owner.

stevoc

Debt incurred to buy the club will be paid by the club. Its a leveraged buyout, just like the last one.
That's a myth and anyway Ineos only has 3 shareholders. Ratcliffe owns 66% of the company.

Tarrou

there’s three shareholders mate including Sir Jim, who owns 60%

How they finance it is not the important decision anyway, the important decision is to buy the club - which they’ve already taken.. and neither Jim or his two mates have rioted about it

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Of course he has an u,terior motive. He doesn't care less about the supporters or the club as an emotional investment as we all do.

They want it for the same reason they spend 3 billion building a new yacht. Its bigger and better than the other guys.
Now you're just trying to convince yourself. I have been closely following how Qatar operates with a football club for almost a decade now, I'm pretty sure I have a well informed grasp of how they run this kind of investments.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
In terms of the fundementals, they are using debt to buy the club, which will then be paid back. Inios will not just pay off that debt, they will want money from the club to do it.

I was being simplistic, it is a much more stanble approach than anything the glazers did, however the end result, money from the club repaying debt incurred to buy it, is inevitable.
A big difference between ineos proposal and the glazers is that the United earnings are not the only source of debt repayment.
Secondly, no charge on United balance sheet in respect of the debt.
Ineos is a good company, well diversified and lots of free cash flow. Will have to charge some fees to United to meet debt but it’s light years from the Glazers LBO. Sure the Qatar deal is miles ahead financially but morally it’s at sewer level and we sing weekly that we are the “busby boys”. That rings a bit hollow if we are now a sportswashing vehicle.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
So no news of a potential American consortium?
I just popped in to ask about this.

Beeb says

There are also expected to be at least two offers for United from the United States

Is there any particular reason these aren't really being included in our conversations here? Is it just that we don't know enough about them yet or do we know stuff that makes them seem unrealistic?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Just so I'm clear here: you think that if a company bought an asset (say, a football club) as an investment with an eye to long term capital appreciation, they would nonetheless be legally obliged to take money from that asset to pay for the cost of its purchase? Even though that would clearly be at cross-purposes with the purpose of their investment?

I'm guessing you're not involved in corporate law, are you?

Nogbadthebad

Now you're just trying to convince yourself. I have been closely following how Qatar operates with a football club for almost a decade now, I'm pretty sure I have a well informed grasp of how they run this kind of investments.
Why do I need to convince myself of anything?

The entire football world just shifted their league schedules so that qatar could hose the biggest sports competition in the world. Everyone who matters to them politically and fianncially are already onside.

Qatar is a dictatorship of slavery, homohphobia and mysoginy. Ineos are global polluters. There are no good guys. At 5 billion asking price, there will never be any good guys who can buy us.

We are going to be owned by someone awful, whatever happens.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Berbaclass 2.0.
Never ever I have supported Qataris to take over joking aside but I would still continue to love the club even if the takeover happens. I haven’t shown any hypocrisy at all. The post I made was for a different topic altogether when somebody said now they would stop supporting the club.

Tarrou

I’m not the biggest expert in the world but some of the business and finance takes in this thread are borderline ridiculous

stevoc

The amount of people who think the debt not being in United’s name means United won’t pay it off is actually very scary.
Not as scary as the amount of people who think a football club which made losses of over £100m last year could afford to service the repayments on a £4-5 billion debt anytime soon.

city-puma

You really think the loan and profits will be paid off from INEOS? Companies 100 * the size are cutting staff to save money.

The loan will come from United’s revenue
I just wiki it and realized it is a private company, so it has no problem to do whatever.

stevoc

A 2 person riot?

Fecking hell this thread is getting worse.

:lol:

Nogbadthebad

A big difference between ineos proposal and the glazers is that the United earnings are not the only source of debt repayment.
Secondly, no charge on United balance sheet in respect of the debt.
Ineos is a good company, well diversified and lots of free cash flow. Will have to charge some fees to United to meet debt but it’s light years from the Glazers LBO. Sure the Qatar deal is miles ahead financially but morally it’s at sewer level and we sing weekly that we are the “busby boys”. That rings a bit hollow if we are now a sportswashing vehicle.
True.
We also don't know the amount of debt that will need to be serviced. It is very likely that it would be beyond the club's ability to pay it alone anyway.

My biggest concern with the debt based approach is having funds for the essential stadium renewal. There seems to be no avenue for that, and if the club is going to be funding it directly, then we are looking at, at best, a renovation.

mu4c_20le

there’s three shareholders mate including Sir Jim, who owns 60%

How they finance it is not the important decision anyway, the important decision is to buy the club - which they’ve already taken.. and neither Jim or his two mates have rioted about it
I was actually picturing a bunch of scientists in white mocks protesting angrily outside the HQ

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Somebody should do a roll call of all the members that have left Redcafe after the Qatari exodus. Would certainly make for interesting reading. By all accounts it sounds like a major culling.

Wrecking ralf

This sounds like the dream scenario. Debt free, Glazer free, all of the revenue that we’ve consistently brought in since the 90’s now being directed to the club in all the areas it should be. Stadium, facilities, squad improvement on all age levels. Rather than being used to line a group of thieves pockets. There will be the obvious group of people against this type of takeover because of the human rights issues that are involved. That’s too political to even attempt to debate on though. Easier to see it as a takeover by an apparent United fan who wants to move the club back to being run the way it can be and bring the success back, which is what we all want anyway. I’m excited. Just waiting for the Glazers to reject and ask for an extra billion though and ruin my good mood. feckers :lol:

Sauxees Moi Hui

The bottom line is that we don't know how the INEOS debt would be serviced. Such debt is often serviced from the company being acquired - but not always. Unless there have been public statements that United's profits won't be used to service the debt, I would tend to be skeptical.

This is really relevant only vis-a-vis comparing this bid to Qatar's bid. I have never thought that debt is a bad thing per se, and I don't even think that our current debt is a problem (I know that many others will disagree, and that's fine). But Qatar's offer obviously means no interest payments, so a higher profit base that Qatar promises to reinvest directly into the club.

Frankiekeane

All the Jim Radcliffe talk is a complete waste of time he’ll never offer what the Glazers want and he can’t compete with a State bid. So it’s either Qatar or the Glazers stay

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The entire football world just shifted their league schedules so that qatar could hose the biggest sports competition in the world. Everyone who matters to them politically and fianncially are already onside.
You don't understand how Qatar works. Their investment policy is driven by 2 factors : diversification and PR. They want the whole world to know where Qatar is on the map and to them, shiny players is better than a title because it allows them to put famous faces on commercial billboards. There's no chance it stopped with the world cup and people who are on their side today won't be tomorrow if they do stop.

AlPistacho

so you think our revenues will service a 5bn loan?
You think the loan is going to get paid off overnight or within a decade?

You’ve just seen a bid that actually has red flags all over it. Yet people are brushing those off? Do me a favour. Read the bid imagine Qatar’s bid is Jim, and Jim’s is Qatar. Then ask the questions that come to mind.

AlPistacho

The bottom line is that we don't know how the INEOS debt would be serviced. Such debt is often serviced from the company being acquired - but not always. Unless there have been public statements that United's profits won't be used to service the debt, I would tend to be skeptical.

This is really relevant only vis-a-vis comparing this bid to Qatar's bid. I have never thought that debt is a bad thing per se, and I don't even think that our current debt is a problem (I know that many others will disagree, and that's fine). But Qatar's offer obviously means no interest payments, so a higher profit base that Qatar promises to reinvest directly into the club.
You’re right about debt. But to go from £500m to billions is never good. Jim is really getting the benefit of the doubt that no one else would.

AlPistacho

Not as scary as the amount of people who think a football club which made losses of over £100m last year could afford to service the repayments on a £4-5 billion debt anytime soon.
Did I say any time soon! It’s here for decades and decades. Glazers debt of 500m has been going on for 17 years? Use some common sense.

Teja

This

Hulme91

You think the loan is going to get paid off overnight or within a decade?

You’ve just seen a bid that actually has red flags all over it. Yet people are brushing those off? Do me a favour. Read the bid imagine Qatar’s bid is Jim, and Jim’s is Qatar. Then ask the questions that come to mind.
You've read a 20 word twitter post and are jumping to the most extreme negative conclusions. Just sit down and wait until more information is published, it's not hard is it

Status
Not open for further replies.