Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
United is going for sports washing either way. It's either Ineos with its environmental track record or the ME. If you don't want sport washing then you should hope that we end up owned by US owners in the mold of the Glazers.

With Ineos, at least we know who our dodgy owner are and know that they will at least run us as a business. Not a vanity project to be used and abused at a whim and discarded once we have lost any usefulness for our new masters.

United is going for sports washing either way. It's either Ineos with its environmental track record or the ME. If you don't want sport washing then you should hope that we end up owned by US owners in the mold of the Glazers.
Are INEOs really sportswashing though?

They have ploughed in a hell of a lot of money to reduce their carbon footprint, have now committed to being net zero by 2050, and are using Hydrogen and renewable energy a lot more to power their plants.
They are looking like they are already committed to change and have highlighted this at every opportunity.

Them buying a third football club, which was always in their plans doesn't seem like sportswashing to me.

As much as Qatar taking over might be happening (very plausible), how the feck do these sport transfer journos all of a sudden become M&A finance ITKs?

Nothing is close to being confirmed until you hear the broadsheets breathe it. Loooooong way to go yet. Still expecting some American consortium to be involved.

I have no feelings about the morals of our next owners. Pretty much everyone at that level is no saint. All I want is for our debt to be zero after a sale. Based on reports coming out that Ratcliffe does not have all the cash for a realistic bid and is planning to part-fund his bid with big loans from some American banks, I don't want him anywhere near the club. That is exactly the type of bid we should be aggressively trying to avoid.

It should almost be a stipulation for anyone bidding that all our debt will be zeroed out. If they don't have the cash to make that happen, then the bid shouldn't even be considered.

As much as Qatar taking over might be happening (very plausible), how the feck do these sport transfer journos all of a sudden become M&A finance ITKs?

Nothing is close to being confirmed until you hear the broadsheets breathe it. Loooooong way to go yet. Still want some American consortium to be involved.
Thought I'd correct it for you if you don't mind

Hope ESPN are wrong, quoting a source saying glazers no longer want a full sale but a rich investor. Probably realised they cant get the price they want as they need to upgrade OT and the training ground first.

Hope ESPN are wrong, quoting a source saying glazers no longer want a full sale but a rich investor. Probably realised they cant get the price they want as they need to upgrade OT and the training ground first.
It is wrong, it'll be a full sale.

So let me ask you a question, because you are obviously so much cleverer than me

Why is it you would protest being taken over by a bid backed by a ME state, because it seems to me that most peoples aversion to it just have so much racial overtones

I would protest to any state ownership, including fecking Norway for that matter. Then especially so for States currently practicing dog shit human rights violations.
That’s just me mind.

'

If United were purchased by certain owners tomorrow, I know a lot of United fans who would regard that as the last straw. They would - indeed - abandon the club.
But would they? I’m not convinced ( in your words! A lot ) they would. Maybe up to 10/20% at most. It’s very difficult to walk away from a club you’ve supported all your life. What would you do at weekends? Do you stop watching match of the day/ sky sports/ BT/ etc etc.

I think it’s near impossible despite having strong feelings a sports washing group could take over our club. I’ve thought about it so many times and being honest I just couldn’t do it, once a red! Always a red as they say.
Even those that allegedly say they would walk some would come back, some would still sneak a look at the results, and if/when we got the trophies coming in again most would be back trust me. ;)

Correct.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I do believe I'm fairly representative of a certain kind of fan (in terms of background, age, and so forth).

If I made a decision to walk away from United, that is: not to define myself as a United fan anymore, I wouldn't do so lightly and easily.

And I certainly wouldn't change my mind just because United (under whatever ownership I had a huge problem with in the first place) turned out to win trophies.

The idea that we all just want United to...win things and that anything resembling a, let's say, moral objection is just empty posturing...is incorrect.

If United were purchased by certain owners tomorrow, I know a lot of United fans who would regard that as the last straw. They would - indeed - abandon the club.
As long as Ten Hag’s allowed to buy the players we need and continue his work without interference, then it surely shouldn’t be a problem?

I'm not particularly arsed either way but think we could be about to see with our beloved neighbours the ultimate consequence of state-owned sports washing

Anyone gullible enough to think Ratcliffe will be our new owner need to get themselves to Tesco this morning, as I believe they have an offer on magic beans

I keep forget, has the 'deadline' for bids or to confirm interest passed or we still in the 'media can go crazy with this stuff'?

Also someone earlier said sports journo's are less likely to know than the more business correspondents. That's true. When it comes to sales of clubs etc. the more serious publishers say it first, for United for example Sky News were always first with the business contacts and then Sky Sports and all followed. But I do imagine now the sporty journo's are just trying to get in's so it's not unimaginable they would get some good info, however I would also read what the more serious news people are saying before Fabrizio Romano etc.

I keep forget, has the 'deadline' for bids or to confirm interest passed or we still in the 'media can go crazy with this stuff'?

Also someone earlier said sports journo's are less likely to know than the more business correspondents. That's true. When it comes to sales of clubs etc. the more serious publishers say it first, for United for example Sky News were always first with the business contacts and then Sky Sports and all followed. But I do imagine now the sporty journo's are just trying to get in's so it's not unimaginable they would get some good info, however I would also read what the more serious news people are saying before Fabrizio Romano etc.

Said from the start, the only way sports journalists can treat this is like a transfer story.

"In talks with"
"Preparing to bid "
"Deadline "

Hopefully the investment means much-needed money being ploughed into our crumbling infrastructure, on top of new signings.

If QIA buys the club, within 2-3 seasons United will dominate the PL and Europe for the next decade I reckon. The spending power of the club will be insane when you consider the additional investment being put in, plus the already enormous revenue it generates meaning it can stretch FFp further than most clubs. Couple that with a world class 80-90K seater stadium, sports village, and training facilities, and a legendary brand and history. The club will have ridiculous pulling power, coupled with almost unlimited spending capabilities. United would be able to sign any player in the world, and I would fully expect to see Mbappe, and other Balon D'or contenders in a United shirt. I imagine it would all get a bit silly. And I am certain that nearly everyone else in football would want to prevent it from happening. It'd be creating a football superpower.

Are INEOs really sportswashing though?

They have ploughed in a hell of a lot of money to reduce their carbon footprint, have now committed to being net zero by 2050, and are using Hydrogen and renewable energy a lot more to power their plants.
They are looking like they are already committed to change and have highlighted this at every opportunity.

Them buying a third football club, which was always in their plans doesn't seem like sportswashing to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...cused-of-greenwashing-with-sports-sponsorship

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ratcliffe-manutd-takeover-glazers-greenpeace-29013753

Personally I'd guess that the actual people involved in discussions aren't making sure their name is in the telegraph every week "Preparing to bid part 314", they haven't set arbitrary 'deadline' and we won't know of their interest until after the deal has already happened

Sports journalists will be fed information. Afterall, whoever buys the club, is buying a sports business.

Ridiculous to think that sports journalists aren't being told things from the likes of Qatar, SJR, etc.

With Ineos, at least we know who our dodgy owner are and know that they will at least run us as a business. Not a vanity project to be used and abused at a whim and discarded once we have lost any usefulness for our new masters.

If you want the club to be run purely as a business then you should support a US consortium. There is no risk of sportwashing or vanity projects there

Sports journalists will be fed information. Afterall, whoever buys the club, is buying a sports business.

Ridiculous to think that sports journalists aren't being told things from the likes of Qatar, SJR, etc.
Ridiculous to think they are. Sports journalists have sporting contacts. Agents, pros, managers, ex-players, pundits. Good sources for finding out why the left back has been frozen out or gossip about whose been sounded out to take over if the result at the weekend doesn't go there way.

Beyond that? No.

Just look at the actual substance behind the articles. They're barely more than "this person is also rich so in theory could buy the club if they wanted". Mike Kegan has written at least six of those in recent weeks.

If QIA buys the club, within 2-3 seasons United will dominate the PL and Europe for the next decade I reckon. The spending power of the club will be insane when you consider the additional investment being put in, plus the already enormous revenue it generates meaning it can stretch FFp further than most clubs. Couple that with a world class 80-90K seater stadium, sports village, and training facilities, and a legendary brand and history. The club will have ridiculous pulling power, coupled with almost unlimited spending capabilities. United would be able to sign any player in the world, and I would fully expect to see Mbappe, and other Balon D'or contenders in a United shirt. I imagine it would all get a bit silly. And I am certain that nearly everyone else in football would want to prevent it from happening. It'd be creating a football superpower.

All well and good. It has taken us decades to build this. We've had all sorts of owners. Private, been on stock exchanges, etc. Throughout all of these ownerships, we have legitimately spent our own money.

If Qatar takes over us, they will just allow us to flourish on our own means. I'm hoping they will right some of the wrongs which Glazers have done, i.e, the infrastructure.

The future success of our club will be built upon the many decades of our rich history, and not 2 moments of ME owners.

I rarely ever post on this forum, I tend to just read .

However after reading some of the comments on this issue, I felt that I had to contribute this time.

The hypocrisy of some of the posters who constantly talk about the human rights of the ME states astounds me, it really does.

The countries that have benefited most from human rights abuse are the USA and the UK, the reason that they are the the powerful behemoths that they are is not because they are cleverer, more intelligent, more moralistic or more resourceful.

It is simply because in building the powerful economies that they are, they took advantage of not having to pay people wages whilst they built up said economies.

Like really, do you posters have the same energy when it comes to the 300 years of the slave trade in the USA that helped create the America that we know today, and then decided that in 1964 that black people would be allowed to be viewed as equals.
Do yo have the same energy when it comes to the British empire who decided to take over countries using the divide and rule technique until it decided that it would give these countries their independence back once they had served their purpose.
In fact it was only 40 years ago that the UK, decided to go to war with Argentina, to protect its interest in the Falklands

Do you have the same energy when it comes to the USA and the U.K. giving reparations to the people it so obviously benefited from.
Do you have the same energy or use of words such as murderous regime in regards to Rodney King, or the countless or people that have been killed by the police with no justification.
Do you have the same energy that 34% of people on remand in U.K. prisons are non white, whilst the percentage of population that is non white is 13%.

And some people may say, that was ages ago, it’s different now and I hear you things have changed to a degree, but how do you know things won’t change in the ME in the next 40 years due to western influence, just like in Dubai.

Sorry for the rant but it gets to me, that people keep on referring to the ME as evil and the West as ok.

I remember going to watch my own club in 1985 and being called a black bas***d and a ni***r , which was wrong and it probably still happens now

My point is all countries have issue with human rights not being adhered to, not just the ME

All I want is for my club to be debt free, which we always were until the evil overlords took over, and then be able to have the facilities that one of the biggest clubs in the world, with the best fans should have.

If that investment comes from the ME, SJR or Mars, seriously why do you care as long as they have the clubs best interest at heart and want to make us the club that we deserve to be.

Because if not then in 10 years time, we will not be the club that we are now,

I have an 11 year old son, who asked me only last year, ”Dad, have Man Utd ever won the Premier League?”

Just saying

And let's not forget about Ancient Rome.

the-interview-james-franco.gif

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Ridiculous to think they are. Sports journalists have sporting contacts. Agents, pros, managers, ex-players, pundits. Good sources for finding out why the left back has been frozen out or gossip about whose been sounded out to take over if the result at the weekend doesn't go there way.

Beyond that? No.

Just look at the actual substance behind the articles. They're barely more than "this person is also rich so in theory could buy the club if they wanted". Mike Kegan has written at least six of those in recent weeks.

Which journalist first broke the interest of SJR wanting to buy the club?

Personally I'd guess that the actual people involved in discussions aren't making sure their name is in the telegraph every week "Preparing to bid part 314", they haven't set arbitrary 'deadline' and we won't know of their interest until after the deal has already happened
“Arbitrary Deadline”

Well they have and they did. “They” being the Raine Group who are handing the sale.

The fact is that we do already spend a lot and with the Qatari owners coming in, we probably will spend another 50 to 60M, so that aspect will not materially change. You don't have to become Chelsea to compete, there is no doubt about that.

However, anybody who thinks you can compete without spending is living in a cucko land. Arsenal for example have spend 192M Euros this season and another 167M Euros last season.

Liverpool including their January window have spent 137m Euros this season and 87M Euros last season and I would argue their relatively low and poor spending has resulted in them having an old midfield now, where they spent money on Gakpo and Nunez instead of midfield (all both look poor buys).

They hit the jackpot by selling Suarez and Coutinho and actually buying the players which all became a hit (Mane, Salah, VVD, Alison), whereas most of our players and for other teams as well, the success ratio is lower (around 40-50%) and its very unlikely that most of the players gets to be big hits.

We spent a lot recently but that was because we had allowed ourselves to be in that position in the last years of Fergie where we let the team become old (sold Ronaldo, Tevez) and Fergie constantly told us there was no value in the market. We let the likes of Silva, Toure and Aguero, Ozil, Benzema, Modric and Hazard to name a few be bought by other teams, whereas we constantly yapped about no value.

When you look at the value of these signings, none I think were above 40M Pounds actually that was the value time, after that once Neymar went to PSG and Liverpool selling Suaraz and Coutinho for staggering amounts, we had to spend a lot to catch up, plus constant change of managers and them binning good players for pittance and signing over rated players who are half as good also resulted in us having a even poor squad (Still can't forget LVG selling Rafeal, Nani, Kagawa, Rvp and Chica), whereas signed Darmian, Depay & Falcao etc which were poor then the players he sold.

Hopefully we get owners who are actually willing to spend when its necessary not crazily, I don't want another January like window, where we are signing players just because they won't cost anything and resultantly weaken the first team with Wout, we appear to be poor side, then improved team, still very early to judge Sabitzer.

All well and good. It has taken us decades to build this. We've had all sorts of owners. Private, been on stock exchanges, etc. Throughout all of these ownerships, we have legitimately spent our own money.

If Qatar takes over us, they will just allow us to flourish on our own means. I'm hoping they will right some of the wrongs which Glazers have done, i.e, the infrastructure.

The future success of our club will be built upon the many decades of our rich history, and not 2 moments of ME owners.

I hope you are right. I don’t want us to start playing FM with a cheat code.

If this is your main concern then we are fine as we are right now. The Glazers have run the club exactly as a business should be run. They have grown revenue sources (most notably commercial revenue) and they have optimized the capital structure of the club to include debt which lowers the club's cost of capital.

But we all know that all the things i've mentioned should not be the primary concerns for a football club.

Which journalist first broke the interest of SJR wanting to buy the club?

Nobody has because absolutely nothing about this story has been confirmed by anyone.

Writing articles that says "Dubai has rich people" isn't breaking a story

I hope you are right. I don’t want us to start playing FM with a cheat code.

Totally agree. I don't like cheating. If you're not good enough, lick your wounds and get better.

If anything happens at our club like it has at City, I'm pretty sure most of us will be up in arms.

We don't need to have financial doping. Any new owner will do well to remember that.

It doesn't make any long term sense having a smaller investor to inject cash. They will still want their pound of flesh at the end of the season by way of dividends. All a smaller investor does is swap out the Glazer siblings who want no part of Utd except the dividends for another party who will want dividends.

It has to be the full sale.

This is what I don't get with so many here. City wanted to allegedly cheat because they didn't want to wait and organically grow the club. They wanted to turbo charge it's growth, status and fan base.
United is already there. Though signs of decline is there for all to see.

For any investor they know they just need to ensure its managed properly, improve the infrastructure and remove any financial drag that's been slowly killing the club.
That's what makes it an attractive proposition, not from a financial project but as a ownership proposition. Status.
City had us to compete with they wanted to be top dog in Manchester, yet for all their trophies they still aren't. Newcastle are going down the more sensible route because they are a one team city. Now will Eddie Howe be the long term manager, who knows, but he is keeping it sensible with no big egos. If they go for a big name manager eventually that might change.

Status
Not open for further replies.