Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
$33 per share is essentially £4.4bn club valuation, way less than what Jassim offering, for the whole club. Yup, the glazers are staying. 250m investment (if that ever arrives) will probably the only additional thing Jim will invest.

Firstly, we have no idea what Jassim was offering or how it was sctructured. Only reports of what it might have been.

The fact is that the Glazers value the club currently at about 6bn pounds, which neither offer gets close to. It has also been widely reported that they believe the value will continue to increase significantly over the next 5 years, to the point where they think it will be worth 10bn. This through better activation of individual fans around the world, mobile streaming rights in emerging markets, the next round of TV deals, and their belief in the eventual lift of the 3pm blackout on domestic rights.

Given the club was worth 790m when they bought it, and this latest partial sale values it at 4.4bn, means that there is plenty of growth in this “brand”. But more importantly, is how they see it. That there is much, much more value to be realised.

They will clearly exit at some point. The reason they bought it in the first place, was to eventually exit. They just don’t think they’ve maximised, or even close, the value yet.

Selling a 25% stake means they can get some outside investment in. 300m immediately. It also means they have a shareholder partner that has a huge net worth and that increases their ability to borrow at favourable terms. They clearly recognise that to take the next step, outside investment is needed. So they will piecemeal this out.

They’ll probably sell another 25% when it comes time to completely revamp or rebuild OT. Bringing more outside investment in. And then finally sell their remaining shareholding once they feel full value has been realised. Probably once the club is worth 7-10bn.

That’s their likely plan anyway. Jim is bringing with him the funds to revamp the training ground. And probably inject some transfer capital too. They’ve given him sporting control because he has more experience and passion in that area and if he is successful, then their shareholding value will only increase. It’s win/win for them.

They will exit, it’s just a question of when. And I suspect it’ll take another 4-6 years for them to be fully out.

There’s a lot of talk about the Sheik’s deal being worth 31 a share, but somehow 5.2bn. You only get to 5.2bn in pounds if you add the 800-900m he promised to invest, into the value of the deal. And if they were selling everything, why would the Glazer’s give a single shit about that? They have never cared about what’s good for the club.

At the end of the day, they’d rather sell 25% at a 4.4bn valuation. 25% at a 6bn valuation. 25% at an 8bn valuation etc etc. Their entire strategy always has, and always will, bank on ever increasing valuation increases.

This deal allows them to sell the minimum amount they need to at the current valuation - which is lower than what they ultimately want - get much needed investment into infrastructure, bring on a powerful partner, retain ultimate control, and take themselves out of the firing line on the sporting side. The work Arnold did to separate the sporting and commercial side was almost certainly done with this sort of deal in mind. I’m just not sure he realised it. Which is probably why he left on bad terms.

Last edited:
That's clearly not what fecked us. The evidence of the last decade points to what has fecked up. Selling Ronaldo for £80 million and not spending that money was a big one. David Gill leaving and not putting someone competent in to replace him was another. Moyes had a bad 8 months, where he wasnt backed in the transfer market. That isnt the basis of 10 years of mediocrity. You cant keep blaming him for it, when so many others have failed.

No doubt the club made a series of mistakes, but the choice to go with Moyes set in motion laughingstock status of the club to the point where we could only attract washed up managers and either washed up players or players looking for that last big payday.

Moyes was backed with his brilliant pick of Fellaini.

No doubt the club made a series of mistakes, but the choice to go with Moyes set in motion laughingstock status of the club to the point where we could only attract washed up managers and either washed up players or players looking for that last big payday.

To be fair, peak Fellaini would get A LOT of games for ETH as well.

Qatar's PR was definitely a better deal for the fans because... well it's PR.

Buying players is the least of United problems. Current manager spent 400M in 3 windows. Spending money on players has never been the issue.

Jassim could have been and SJR could be shit. The problem is the notion that Qatar buying the club somehow guarantees success is deeply flawed.

With the glazers still controlling the majority of the money and votes i fail to see how we will progress. They’ve bought but they’ve also held onto their money to the point where we have a squad where up to 15 players aren’t fit for purpose but are on too much money to sell and the owners don’t want to take a hit so they remain here unhappy and overpaid, the facilities are a few years away from being condemned and we have the biggest debt in the country. We also take ages to fix the major problems in the quad while in the meantime fresh problems have arisen. They are absolute idiots of owners and I think this Jim thing is just more of the same it just dilutes the possible solution even more. I hope I’m totally wrong but I don’t see it working out. It’s just another way for the glazers to get paid while they probably sell in a few years anyway when things are at their lowest

He wasnt backed with Fellaini, though. Fellaini had a release clause earlier in the summer, and we waited until the final day completely putting us at the mercy of the seller. You think David Moyes thought "I'll happily go into the season with no signings"? You can blame Moyes for being out of his depth, you cant blame him for anything else. We replaced Ronaldo with Obertan, Valencia and Michael Owen FFS. The shit at board level didnt start with David Moyes.

So was the Qatari's offer state backed or not? $10bil would be nothing for them if it was state funded right? Yet they didn't want to match asking price, what's wrong?
I swear same people that were spreading their agendas can't even make up their mind
I fully believe it was a state-backed bid disguised as not. If it wasn't, then Jassim is a random guy buying the club and the only difference between him and SJR is he played the PR game promising a lot of things he's not obligated to do.

I don't have an agenda. I simply believe aspiring to be like PSG or City is lame and soulless.

With the glazers still controlling the majority of the money and votes i fail to see how we will progress. They’ve bought but they’ve also held onto their money to the point where we have a squad where up to 15 players aren’t fit for purpose but are on too much money to sell and the owners don’t want to take a hit so they remain here unhappy and overpaid, the facilities are a few years away from being condemned and we have the biggest debt in the country. We also take ages to fix the major problems in the quad while in the meantime fresh problems have arisen. They are absolute idiots of owners and I think this Jim thing is just more of the same it just dilutes the possible solution even more. I hope I’m totally wrong but I don’t see it working out. It’s just another way for the glazers to get paid while they probably sell in a few years anyway when things are at their lowest
He is largest single shareholder. If the Glazer are guaranteed to vote as a bloc that's a whole other story. The squad is in the state it is because of the recruitment of crap managers and playing staff. What you are asking for is a City-like unlimited pile of money to correct transfer mistakes and always buy the best player. No owner can guarantee this.

He wasnt backed with Fellaini, though. Fellaini had a release clause earlier in the summer, and we waited until the final day completely putting us at the mercy of the seller. You think David Moyes thought "I'll happily go into the season with no signings"? You can blame Moyes for being out of his depth, you cant blame him for anything else. We replaced Ronaldo with Obertan, Valencia and Michael Owen FFS. The shit at board level didnt start with David Moyes.

Moyes got the man he desperately wanted, did he not? Of course he did The man he wanted was Marouane Fellaini and of course Moyes is not to be blamed for the club overpaying for Fellaini, but I also distinctly recall Moyes dithering over scouting reports wondering WTF he should do and then reached for the panic button when the timbers were falling in August and he had to sign someone, so he signed Fellaini. Moyes did want Fabregas but Fabregas said no United, whatever his reasons may have been. But Moyes hung on and hung on for Fabregas even though it was obvious to the entire galaxy that Fabregas was not interested in United.

The club had made a series of mistakes, like every club does, before Moyes and has made a series of mistakes, like every club does, after Moyes. But going with Moyes was the single biggest mistake the club has made since the Glazers took over and here we are, a decade later, no less the laughingstock of European football now than we were the day the hiring of Moyes was announced. Moyes of course can't be blamed for the mistakes that were made after he was sacked(the signing of Alexis and the hiring of Ole, for example), but the moment United signed Moyes was the moment that the football world learned that this was a club which placed performances on the pitch a distant second to commercial success.

They will clearly exit at some point. The reason they bought it in the first place, was to eventually exit. They just don’t think they’ve maximised, or even close, the value yet.

Yes. At least that's what many of us have assumed ever since the initial takeover.

It has always been a question of when and in what form.

I get the impression that some have now genuinely embraced the idea that the Glazers are just feckin' with us for kicks.

Or that Joel has, over the years, become insane and now fancies himself a sort of DOF Supreme with (very weird) ideas about how to win major trophies.

They aren't, though. Their end game has always been to sell at a premium - what else could their end game possibly be? They have no interest in United as such, never did.

Is Sir Jim really a lifelong United fan? All I've seen is this statement from his press team. Anyone seen pictures of him at Old Trafford as a kid? Has he had a season ticket for years? Was he there for the 99 final? Who's his favorite player?
Just wondering....

Was he there for the 99 final?
Yes he was, he’s said so himself.

A lifelong Man United fan, Ratcliffe has previously stated: "I was born in Manchester, it’s my team. I was at the Champions League final in 1999, when we won [2-1] at the last minute against Bayern Munich. This is my most extraordinary football memory, we should never have won before these three crazy minutes."

Its worked really well at PSG hasn't it!!!

Definite disconnect between match going fans/Greater Manchester fans and those on social media and forums who only support the club because of the success.
I don't think any of those people are still around

Yes. At least that's what many of us have assumed ever since the initial takeover.

It has always been a question of when and in what form.

I get the impression that some have now genuinely embraced the idea that the Glazers are just feckin' with us for kicks.

Or that Joel has, over the years, become insane and now fancies himself a sort of DOF Supreme with (very weird) ideas about how to win major trophies.

They aren't, though. Their end game has always been to sell at a premium - what else could their end game possibly be? They have no interest in United as such, never did.

I think the idea that the Glazers have no interest in the club apart from profit is actually outdated. It was certainly true for Malcolm but there is evidence that, Joel at least and probably Avram too, do actually have some interest in the sporting side of the club.
Joel has been involved in day to day operations at the club for some time now but this has clearly been to our detriment.

Also they don't need to sell to profit from the club, they have taken dividends and management fees in the past plus they borrow money against their shareholdings (a major reason for the NYSE listing).

It's becoming increasingly clear that Sir Jim is just buying 25% with no guarantees of increasing that anytime soon.
The sad reality is that we are probably stuck with at least some of the Glazer family for the foreseeable future.

So the cycling dream team that made no impact at NICE is just being brought straight in to run United? bit underwhelming

Moyes got the man he desperately wanted, did he not? Of course he did The man he wanted was Marouane Fellaini

Moyes wanted Fabregas, Mata, Baines and later Kroos, whom he actually signed only to get sacked. LvG then vetoed Kroos for Ander Herrera. Commercial club, see.

Yes he was, he’s said so himself:
'...we should never have won before these three crazy minutes'

Yes we fecking should have you polluting prat. We'd created more chances and had more shots on target. Boils my pish that does.

Beginning to see it from the AI Sheikh's view after all.

So the cycling dream team that made no impact at NICE is just being brought straight in to run United? bit underwhelming

We are just going round and round and round and round and round and round and round again, then round and round and Steve Round and round again, until one's arse is too sore

Is Sir Jim really a lifelong United fan? Yes All I've seen is this statement from his press team. Anyone seen pictures of him at Old Trafford as a kid? Yes Has he had a season ticket for years? Yes Was he there for the 99 final? Yes Who's his favorite player? Blomqvist
Just wondering....

Pretty much Mark Kleinman of Sky simply updating his story from two weeks ago, now describing the deal as $33/share instead of £1.25B and suggesting we're expecting an official announcement next week, before the American holiday on Thursday.
Cheers fellah

Is Sir Jim really a lifelong United fan? All I've seen is this statement from his press team. Anyone seen pictures of him at Old Trafford as a kid? Has he had a season ticket for years? Was he there for the 99 final? Who's his favorite player?
Just wondering....
Probably watched Chelsea more than any club but tbh, who gives a shit if he can get the job done.
Woodward was probably a United fan and nobody doubted he wanted best for the club but the guy was just pure incompetent.

BBC article still linking Dougie Freedman.

Still hoping Paul Mitchell is the Director of Football. That would be the most impressive signing in years for us.

It means the market does not expect Sir Jim to buy A Shares for $33

Whether he buys some at a lower price or none at all remains to be seen
Doesn’t mean that, the market rate won’t go much higher when buyers know they are only going to be able to sell 25% of their shares for $33. The current price is over inflated in preparation of the above happening.

If the current market price was $23 or above, any owners would be losing money if they take the 25% offer and sell off the rest (at the more realistic valuation of $15-18) once SJR completes his minority purchase.

Reactions: Rood
It means the market does not expect Sir Jim to buy A Shares for $33

Whether he buys some at a lower price or none at all remains to be seen

Also that he won't buy all of the shares on the market for that price, only a proportional part of them.

There's no point in having all of the shares trading close to $33 if only max 25% will get an offer at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.