Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While there has been interest in Liverpool, whose sale/investment is being led by Jurgen Klopp's most key FSG ally, Mike Gordon, sources have told the ECHO that there has been "nothing real" that has arrived and no high level talks have been taking place with interested parties as yet.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo.../liverpool-chairman-tom-werner-makes-25955164

Very similar to what was reported about United by The Athletic on 14 December (they wrote that while there has been interest in United, "when it comes to offers to Raine, serious talks are yet to materialise").
https://theathletic.com/3991146/2022/12/15/united-sale-manchester-glazers/

Very similar to what was reported about United by The Athletic on 14 December (they wrote that while there has been interest in United, "when it comes to offers to Raine, serious talks are yet to materialize").
https://theathletic.com/3991146/2022/12/15/united-sale-manchester-glazers/

1. Yeah, just shooting from the hip, I would definitely guess on that we are at a point were investors have been told to submit indicative bids and description for their plans by a specific time, which may or may not have passed. Further, I would guess the interest submitted at this point will include a fairly low valuation. No purpose in bidding against yourself, and the stage following the submission of indicative bids will always include hands-on negotiations and possibilities for the short listed bidders to match each others bids. A scenario in which Raine Group get very few or none indicative bids does not exist. Any mid-sized family office or similar investment vehicle that manage to get its name mentioned in connection with buying Man Utd will get free publicity that many would value highly. Its 100% that the Raine Group will gets many many bids from London entities, private entities in the Middle East, China and Asia in general, and surely even from the USA. The only way to avoid bids like this from parties that might not even be able to finance them is to ask for them to submit a Certainty of Funds undertaking from the banks that are backing them (the money that bank undertakes to loan to the bidder will be made available by the bank -- no matter what, there are no conditions whatsoever basically). I cannot imagine that you can do that with a 5-8bn transaction.

So there will be certainly be work ongoing containing the evaluation of all indicative bids/interest being filed with the Raine Group.

The point the Raine Group needs to get to is where they obtain an indicative bid that is sufficiently legit so that they can take it to like Ratcliffe and say look, your first bid is 4.9bn, but here we got an offer of 5.75bn from the Dubai Investment Fund -- or someone else with impeccable credit worthiness in plain English -- we will go with them unless you up your bid. Before someone that surely is legit starts to close in on the valuations required by the Glazers, there is always a risk that you end up with a bit of a waiting game. The Glazers will of course come out setting a high threshold for what level of bids they will accept. Lets say its 6.5bn. Before anyone know that they have to pay more or the club will be sold to someone else, its hard to see why they would want to deliver a bid over say 5bn.

Usually a negotiation need a "deadline" to get going. The problem with a deadline is that its very hard to give it legitimacy. If the Raine Group set 10 January as a deadline to submit bids north of 6bn, and say only one US Consortium does it, couldn't QSI or Amazon come in a week later offering 7.5bn? Of course they could. You don't toss away a billion and a half over a question of principle. If they got 10 bids north of 6bn, its another story. Is the Q1 a real deadline? Nah. Its not. Definitely possible if you have a high number of bidders willing to meet the Glazers ask, but you couldn't get someone out of their comfort zone bidding against themselves because a date during Q1 comes closer. How about before season end? Before last July? When is the real "deadline"? Is there even a real deadline before the 23/24 season? Yeah, I would say that there is at least a "soft" deadline at a point in time were if you pass it, the new owner cannot take control before next season starts. Which exact date in the calendar that is, is very hard to speculate on since it depends on the deal structure chosen (full take over, only buying the Glazers shares etc) and Cayman Island law. I would guess that you need a buyer in principle in place before the end of season, but that speculation comes with a +/- 2-3 month caveat at least.

In summary, (a) for various reasons, I don't think we have a buyer in place, as was discussed widely early in the process. Just think we would have seen much more distinct information about various deadlines etc. (b) When is it time to start to legitimately fear that someone won't be done? I would say end up season.

2. The market is slowly -- and in no way surely -- starting to pick up speed. In the Western world, Q3 was dead. No transactions were made. Financing could not be obtained. In Q4, people that needed to get stuff done got stuff done. In comparison to every day life, the company version of a divorced couple that was looking to sell their house to buy an apartment each manage to do so. Right here right now, the market is asking it self -- will things pick up after the Q1? Will we get signs that the insanely high inflation we are seeing now are coming down fast? Will the damage done to date result in a mild recession during the spring, or will things get chaotic as car industries start to lay of employers since nobody can afford to buy cars with a loan with 7 percent interest, banks get problem when people can't pay their mortage -- and so forth? Will the war in Ukraine spread or take a turn for the worse? Remember -- the expectations -- for the answer to these questions are definitely positive. The market expects the inflation to come down fast, and there is significant hopes that the outcome could be more positive than expected. The recession is only expected to be mild. The Ukraine war is seen as being as bad as it gets, what could get worse? Nobody really expects it Nato to dragged into it, nuclear devices to be used etc etc etc.

So in say a month, things could start to pick up pretty fast. And that could definitely speed up our process. If the Glazers started the process a year ago, I think it would have been done by now to be honest. You would have had SPAC's and crypto currency exchanges and what not getting legit backing from the market resulting in them presenting legit bids, which in its turn would push the names discussed now to act (I don't think we would have gotten a different buyer, but you never know).

3. All in all, I am definitely hopeful something can get done in Q1, but I wouldn't start to get worried before we get into May-June (or who am I kidding , I am worried right now, but I wouldn't think there is "objective" reasons to be worried before May/June).

Buying a football club at $6/7bn just screams a poor investment to me. I just don’t see the value appreciation that justifies the outlay.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Raine is struggling.

1. Yeah, just shooting from the hip, I would definitely guess on that we are at a point were investors have been told to submit indicative bids and description for their plans by a specific time, which may or may not have passed. Further, I would guess the interest submitted at this point will include a fairly low valuation. No purpose in bidding against yourself, and the stage following the submission of indicative bids will always include hands-on negotiations and possibilities for the short listed bidders to match each others bids. A scenario in which Raine Group get very few or none indicative bids does not exist. Any mid-sized family office or similar investment vehicle that manage to get its name mentioned in connection with buying Man Utd will get free publicity that many would value highly. Its 100% that the Raine Group will gets many many bids from London entities, private entities in the Middle East, China and Asia in general, and surely even from the USA. The only way to avoid bids like this from parties that might not even be able to finance them is to ask for them to submit a Certainty of Funds undertaking from the banks that are backing them (the money that bank undertakes to loan to the bidder will be made available by the bank -- no matter what, there are no conditions whatsoever basically). I cannot imagine that you can do that with a 5-8bn transaction.

So there will be certainly be work ongoing containing the evaluation of all indicative bids/interest being filed with the Raine Group.

The point the Raine Group needs to get to is where they obtain an indicative bid that is sufficiently legit so that they can take it to like Ratcliffe and say look, your first bid is 4.9bn, but here we got an offer of 5.75bn from the Dubai Investment Fund -- or someone else with impeccable credit worthiness in plain English -- we will go with them unless you up your bid. Before someone that surely is legit starts to close in on the valuations required by the Glazers, there is always a risk that you end up with a bit of a waiting game. The Glazers will of course come out setting a high threshold for what level of bids they will accept. Lets say its 6.5bn. Before anyone know that they have to pay more or the club will be sold to someone else, its hard to see why they would want to deliver a bid over say 5bn.

Usually a negotiation need a "deadline" to get going. The problem with a deadline is that its very hard to give it legitimacy. If the Raine Group set 10 January as a deadline to submit bids north of 6bn, and say only one US Consortium does it, couldn't QSI or Amazon come in a week later offering 7.5bn? Of course they could. You don't toss away a billion and a half over a question of principle. If they got 10 bids north of 6bn, its another story. Is the Q1 a real deadline? Nah. Its not. Definitely possible if you have a high number of bidders willing to meet the Glazers ask, but you couldn't get someone out of their comfort zone bidding against themselves because a date during Q1 comes closer. How about before season end? Before last July? When is the real "deadline"? Is there even a real deadline before the 23/24 season? Yeah, I would say that there is at least a "soft" deadline at a point in time were if you pass it, the new owner cannot take control before next season starts. Which exact date in the calendar that is, is very hard to speculate on since it depends on the deal structure chosen (full take over, only buying the Glazers shares etc) and Cayman Island law. I would guess that you need a buyer in principle in place before the end of season, but that speculation comes with a +/- 2-3 month caveat at least.

In summary, (a) for various reasons, I don't think we have a buyer in place, as was discussed widely early in the process. Just think we would have seen much more distinct information about various deadlines etc. (b) When is it time to start to legitimately fear that someone won't be done? I would say end up season.

2. The market is slowly -- and in no way surely -- starting to pick up speed. In the Western world, Q3 was dead. No transactions were made. Financing could not be obtained. In Q4, people that needed to get stuff done got stuff done. In comparison to every day life, the company version of a divorced couple that was looking to sell their house to buy an apartment each manage to do so. Right here right now, the market is asking it self -- will things pick up after the Q1? Will we get signs that the insanely high inflation we are seeing now are coming down fast? Will the damage done to date result in a mild recession during the spring, or will things get chaotic as car industries start to lay of employers since nobody can afford to buy cars with a loan with 7 percent interest, banks get problem when people can't pay their mortage -- and so forth? Will the war in Ukraine spread or take a turn for the worse? Remember -- the expectations -- for the answer to these questions are definitely positive. The market expects the inflation to come down fast, and there is significant hopes that the outcome could be more positive than expected. The recession is only expected to be mild. The Ukraine war is seen as being as bad as it gets, what could get worse? Nobody really expects it Nato to dragged into it, nuclear devices to be used etc etc etc.

So in say a month, things could start to pick up pretty fast. And that could definitely speed up our process. If the Glazers started the process a year ago, I think it would have been done by now to be honest. You would have had SPAC's and crypto currency exchanges and what not getting legit backing from the market resulting in them presenting legit bids, which in its turn would push the names discussed now to act (I don't think we would have gotten a different buyer, but you never know).

3. All in all, I am definitely hopeful something can get done in Q1, but I wouldn't start to get worried before we get into May-June (or who am I kidding , I am worried right now, but I wouldn't think there is "objective" reasons to be worried before May/June).
Cheers, appreciate your ongoing analysis.

Buying a football club at $6/7bn just screams a poor investment to me. I just don’t see the value appreciation that justifies the outlay.

The way investors quantify "good/poor investment" will differ. Not all things will be tangible.

Well the Glazer's have extracted all the value from the club, that is for sure and the greedy SOBs want to grab 6bn on the way out is the biggest insult so far.

Lets face it buying Utd at 6bn is a vanity purchase, but there are definitely those out there capable of making a vanity purchase on this scale,

I’ve honestly never heard of an ownership group buying a significant football club and not making a killing on the valuation rising. They always seem like overpays at the time, and then years later you wonder how nobody else was smart enough to make the buy back then given their current valuation. I think City was bought for something like $175MM in 2008. Imagine that return…I’m sure the new owners will make plenty on appreciation and we’ll all wonder why nobody wanted it at such a bargain price of $6B in 2023…

This sale in Q1 thing is never happening. Another poor forecast from our inept management. The way information leaks at Utd theres no way anything is anywhere near to being done.

My worry is they will be here through til the start of next season - effectively writing next season off.

This will drag we will still be run by the Glazers in the summer.

The Glazers want too much because they are greedy and left it too late. Without competition for buyers they won't get the price they want. They will have to take a lower offer or not sell.

This sale in Q1 thing is never happening. Another poor forecast from our inept management. The way information leaks at Utd theres no way anything is anywhere near to being done.

My worry is they will be here through til the start of next season - effectively writing next season off.
This hasn’t a transfer story, calm down!

This will drag we will still be run by the Glazers in the summer.
It’s only “dragging” because we’re all acting like it’s a transfer and am expecting daily updates, when in reality we will only know when it’s happening once the deal has been agreed. This club is worth billions and the deal will he done in private.

Let’s all have some patience around this

I think City was bought for something like $175MM in 2008. Imagine that return…

Depends on how much they've put into the City project since 2008. If they've put in 3bn, what could they actually realistically sell City for today, 3bn? What type of owners would pay 3bn and carry on putting money into every avenue. If a non oil state consortium came in to run the club on its own earnings without self sponsoring how quickly does it all fall apart, how attractive is that for a ROI? You could sell it to another oil state but there's only so many and they're already buying other clubs.

In 20-40 years if there's a real fan base behind City then sure you can have a long term investment come through as I'm sure the value will rise for the majority of clubs, just like real estate, just like the value has risen for the Glazers. Really these oil club ventures in the short to mid term are world wide marketing vehicles, full of self sponsorship, crazy payments to staff and players, you can call it sportwashing or a way of marketing for an arab state. Just look how much PSG are paying Mbappe to stay with the signing on fees and loyalty bonuses, no non state business person or consortium is going to carry on with that.

It’s the 12th of January

Calm down

It’s only “dragging” because we’re all acting like it’s a transfer and am expecting daily updates, when in reality we will only know when it’s happening once the deal has been agreed. This club is worth billions and the deal will he done in private.

Let’s all have some patience around this
No I get that the narrative has been more inline with this being done quickly in Q1. This will take time.

No I get that the narrative has been more inline with this being done quickly in Q1. This will take time.
End of March is end of Q1 if I remember correctly. Loads of time yet, we don’t know how long negotiations have been going on, for all we know could have started at start of season and only revealed to the public a couple months ago

End of March is end of Q1 if I remember correctly. Loads of time yet, we don’t know how long negotiations have been going on, for all we know could have started at start of season and only revealed to the public a couple months ago
Agree, to this will take time and I will not be surprised if this won't be finished before the summer.

Depends on how much they've put into the City project since 2008. If they've put in 3bn, what could they actually realistically sell City for today, 3bn? What type of owners would pay 3bn and carry on putting money into every avenue. If a non oil state consortium came in to run the club on its own earnings without self sponsoring how quickly does it all fall apart, how attractive is that for a ROI? You could sell it to another oil state but there's only so many and they're already buying other clubs.

In 20-40 years if there's a real fan base behind City then sure you can have a long term investment come through as I'm sure the value will rise for the majority of clubs, just like real estate, just like the value has risen for the Glazers. Really these oil club ventures in the short to mid term are world wide marketing vehicles, full of self sponsorship, crazy payments to staff and players, you can call it sportwashing or a way of marketing for an arab state. Just look how much PSG are paying Mbappe to stay with the signing on fees and loyalty bonuses, no non state business person or consortium is going to carry on with that.

I have no idea what the numbers look like, but since we are just doing a friendly spitballing here, I sincerely doubt they've put in 3bn. It's not like they don't have massive revenues as well. Their revenues were $785 MM last season, the highest in the world. But let's even call it 2bn that they spent in their own funds (even though I doubt thats accurate). If they can sell for 3-4bn (which seems likely low SINCE THEY GENERATE THE MOST REVENUE IN THE WORLD), thats a 1-2bn ROI on a $175MM outlay in 14 years. On what planet would that be a bad investment?

Exactly this.

If amazes me how ao many overlook the cost of the daily operational cost of a club. United are very unique in the fact its owners haven't had to dip into their own pockets.

I have no idea what the numbers look like, but since we are just doing a friendly spitballing here, I sincerely doubt they've put in 3bn. It's not like they don't have massive revenues as well. Their revenues were $785 MM last season, the highest in the world. But let's even call it 2bn that they spent in their own funds (even though I doubt thats accurate). If they can sell for 3-4bn (which seems likely low SINCE THEY GENERATE THE MOST REVENUE IN THE WORLD), thats a 1-2bn ROI on a $175MM outlay in 14 years. On what planet would that be a bad investment?

You have to have the cash to pump in to get it to where City are now. And let's not forget, City were bought at a time when there was no FFP. A lot different now.

And don't let their revenues fool you. Any potential buyer for them would know that their revenues aren't legit.

It each their own but this attitude is an annoyance to me

We were here before them and we’ll be here after them. They’re our club no matter who owns them. If you don’t like the owners, protest. Walking away does nothing
I'm with you. I'm a fan of United, always have been and always will be...no owner is going to take that away from me.

If it is Dubai. I can imagine a scenario where the rats sell a controlling stake but still hold onto some shares, expecting the new majority ownership to increase the clubs value in the coming years. Would this be a realistic possibility?
It wouldn't make any sense to keep a minority stake.

1) It would likely never get sold again so there's no exit path. "Higher valuation" would always be on paper.

2) The asset then becomes as valuable to you as the income it generates by way of dividends. These Dubai guys don't need dividends and it is unlikely they would be in any rush to extract money out of the club the way the Glazers have (which is the main bonus for us fans).

No resale, no dividend, it's as valuable as Venezuelan currency. Maybe they could make tiny shareholding NFTs and sell them on to numpties wanting a stake. So yeah, as valuable as Venezuelan currency.

This is still happening right?

I know we’re used to 100 tweets per day for three months when it’s a transfer saga, keeping us all satiated, but this is a different matter. I’d expect mostly quiet, and then it’ll be done out of nowhere. You’re just going to have to get used to not gossiping about it daily.

I saw a figure of around 1.5bn 5 years ago. You'd also have to have the owner take a true accounting of what's been spent including everything underhand as we're talking about the profit for the owners outlay, I think they'd be breaking even selling today but really it's very small change either way for the reasons they own it.

I saw a figure of around 1.5bn 5 years ago. You'd also have to have the owner take a true accounting of what's been spent including everything underhand as we're talking about the profit for the owners outlay, I think they'd be breaking even selling today but really it's very small change either way for the reasons they own it.

It's also impossible to know the business plan. Perhaps the initial 10 year outlay of cash gets them to a level that sustains extremely high revenues and less cash infusions moving forward...i.e. its very profitable for decades to come when not as profitable int he beginning...as the valuation continues to increase. Who knows, you guys dont nor do I.

My original point is I've never seen an ownership group lose on valuation of a major sports team. period. They always increase as long as there is no short turnover. Perhaps this is the one instance that bucks the trends...who the f**k knows...but historically speaking a large sale price shouldn't be too concerning if the valuation and business plan is sound.

It's also impossible to know the business plan. Perhaps the initial 10 year outlay of cash gets them to a level that sustains extremely high revenues and less cash infusions moving forward...i.e. its very profitable for decades to come when not as profitable int he beginning...as the valuation continues to increase. Who knows, you guys dont nor do I.

My original point is I've never seen an ownership group lose on valuation of a major sports team. period. They always increase as long as there is no short turnover. Perhaps this is the one instance that bucks the trends...who the f**k knows...but historically speaking a large sale price shouldn't be too concerning if the valuation and business plan is sound.

Well speaking broadly about a sale of United, I don't think it's a bad buy as like we know it will more than likely be worth double in some point in time like many other things and it's setup well enough for someone competent to keep the name going and add success. The amount of the clubs money spent in 10 years should've returned much more Champions League money and higher sponsorships. It's been a catastrophic failure of spending the clubs own generated billion+. Really we should've been competitive for ~700m and also financed and paid off a new stadium like Bayern did. Now we're looking at tremendous costs with smallish profits to fall back on due to the size of the club still and previous success. For a non oil state it's not as beneficial marketing but still attractive, yearly return of long term return is small and steady. There's much higher returns out there but as well the super rich can only invest so much and also like to have active stakes and be apart of something.

Having been involved in the process of both buying and selling a business, everyone is under strict NDA’s while due diligence is taking place.

With this deal, being driven by the Glazers in the US and by the Raine Group also in the US, I can imagine that the info being passed down to the Utd management team would be minimal, hence the lack of leaks.

The reality is - nothing is really going to come out until the deal is nearly done. All the speculation is just that. When, will be determined ultimately by how quickly a finalised fee can be agreed on.

It’s gonna happen folks…..but you won’t know until it’s done!

I know we’re used to 100 tweets per day for three months when it’s a transfer saga, keeping us all satiated, but this is a different matter. I’d expect mostly quiet, and then it’ll be done out of nowhere. You’re just going to have to get used to not gossiping about it daily.

It's killing me.

The Glazers don't have a choice - something will happen (whether partial/full sale). We just don't have a clue when it will happen.

They are taking a lot of risk if they keep the club. Just like Barcelona sold 25% of their TV rights for 25 years or whatever — there are surely ways for the Glazers to get cash to invest in the Club. But things can go in the other direction in a real hurry unless strong measures are taken — and even if they are, there are no guarantees (look at Chelsea falling apart). If we miss the CL this season, we have to cut costs a lot in the summer and cannot afford to make much more — than at best — one big signing. Like everyone else, we are reliant on our ability to stay fairly healthy. All of a sudden we go from like 5th to 10th like Chelsea have (who can survive 5-6 injuries to key players?).

In that scenario — we are not equipped to get any advantages financially. Our infrastructure is way behind. Our youth academy doesn’t produce nearly the same amount of “sellable” talent like Chelsea and City does. Newcastle is on the rise. Liverpool does a lot of good things under Klopp. Arsenal is entering a strong era. How do we get back into the top 4 again under the Glazers if we run of the road at some point the coming year or two?

I am sure we could “survive” with OT for 5-10 more years. If we get into the CL and does a good job selling overpaid players like Maguire and AWB while ETH aces all new signings like he gave up until now — we could of course be a top 4 team and compete fairly well even if the Glazer does not sell.

The market could be better in 2-3 years than it is now. A lot of parameters are on the rise, like interest in the US.

But isn’t it extremely risky? If we don’t get too 4 this year, it’s going to be really really hard to get back in.

Why would a family office value publicity?

Having been involved in the process of both buying and selling a business, everyone is under strict NDA’s while due diligence is taking place.

With this deal, being driven by the Glazers in the US and by the Raine Group also in the US, I can imagine that the info being passed down to the Utd management team would be minimal, hence the lack of leaks.

The reality is - nothing is really going to come out until the deal is nearly done. All the speculation is just that. When, will be determined ultimately by how quickly a finalised fee can be agreed on.

It’s gonna happen folks…..but you won’t know until it’s done!

Yes 100%

Just chuck us on ebay with a decent reserve, make sure the winning bidder has some feedback and get a deposit when the auction ends, voilà.

Status
Not open for further replies.