Chris Smalling | Roma player

I don't think the main purpose or main effect of Man Utd or LA Galaxy is to distract from the genocide of Palestinians.

That's not the main effect of Saudi clubs either, I don't understand that argument.

Many european clubs and leagues have banned players from defending Gaza(while you can easily talk about supporting Israel), that's literally abusing their humans right 101, many European clubs are owned by same Saudi owners(what's the difference in playing for PSG, City and in Saudi league?), so I am not really sure you'll find lot of moral in football all over the world. I mean, Inter Miami owner was the face of Qatar World cup, so I am really not sure if there is much difference in playing for that club or Saudi club.

That's not the main effect of Saudi clubs either, I don't understand that argument.

Many european clubs and leagues have banned players from talking about Gaza, that's literally abusing their humans right 101, many European clubs are owned by same Saudi owners(what's the difference in playing for PSG, City and in Saudi league?), so I am not really sure you'll find lot of moral in football all over the world. I mean, Inter Miami owner was the face of Qatar World cup, so I am really not sure if there is much difference in playing for that club or Saudi club.
The main purpose and effect of the Saudi Pro League is absolutely to distract from human rights abuses.

The main purpose and effect of the Saudi Pro League is absolutely to distract from human rights abuses.

Based on what?

And why are you ignoring the other part of my post. Do you think European clubs are morally great?

Hasn't he been injured for the majority of the last 18 months?

Easy to moralize, his career is coming to an end, squeeze as much out of it as you can for yourself and your family.

Always liked Smalling.

Very intelligent, athletic, aerially dominant centre back that was only discarded at United because of his ‘ability on the ball’. He was a quality defender for us - one of the best in the post-SAF era though that probably doesn’t say much.

Fair play to him for cashing in on his long-term future. Who wouldn’t do the same unless you were a truly elite player competing for top honours. He’s probably not quite at the level required in Roma to justify that - albeit beautiful city and country.

Based on what?

And why are you ignoring the other part of my post. Do you think European clubs are morally great?

Here we go with the whataboutism.

European clubs aren’t owned and paid for by state entities that subjugate women, illegalize and punish (sometimes with death) sexual orientation, and kill secular journalists.

So fecking disingenuous to make any comparison.

Yes football is full of shit actors, but there are levels.

Here we go with the whataboutism.

European clubs aren’t owned and paid for by state entities that subjugate women, illegalize and punish (sometimes with death) sexual orientation, and kill secular journalists.

So fecking disingenuous to make any comparison.

Yes football is full of shit actors, but there are levels.

PSG, City, Aston Villa, Sheffield United, Malaga are all owned by the same people. It's not whataboutism, it's a valid argument that some of you like to ignore. Manchester United fans are adoring Haaland and what City have been doing in recent years, and no one is questioning morals of any of these posters, but when someone who people are not big fan of signs for Saudi clubs- then his morals should be questioned, what a hypocricy!

Disingenous to make comparision between genocide and abusing human rights? You think what Saudis are doing is worse than what Israel is doing?

PSG, City, Aston Villa, Sheffield United, Malaga are all owned by the same people. It's not whataboutism, it's a valid argument that some of you like to ignore. Manchester United fans are adoring Haaland and what City have been doing in recent years, and no one is questioning morals of any of these posters, but when someone who people are not big fan of signs for Saudi clubs- then his morals should be questioned, what a hypocricy!

Disingenous to make comparision between genocide and abusing human rights? You think what Saudis are doing is worse than what Israel is doing?

Who the feck on here is a fan of clubs being owned by the same people? PSG and City are regularly (and rightly) slated for it. Villa, Sheffield, and Malaga aren’t on everybody’s radar, but I’m sure the people slating state ownership aren’t fans of that either.

How being impressed with players enters into it I don’t know. Greenwood’s a rapist piece of shit, doesn’t mean we can’t acknowledge that he’s talented. Same goes for Haaland even if he plays for a club with scummy owners. And people on here regularly have a go at players for joining these "projects". United fans were shitting on Beckham and Neville and the like for their role in promoting and covering the Qatar World Cup, so I don’t see the hypocrisy?

Where the feck do Israel come into this? Does the Israeli state own any clubs? And check the CE forum, the vast majority of Caftards find the Israeli state abhorrent.

You’re really reaching here.

Who the feck on here is a fan of clubs being owned by the same people? PSG and City are regularly (and rightly) slated for it. Villa, Sheffield, and Malaga aren’t on everybody’s radar, but I’m sure the people slating state ownership aren’t fans of that either.

How being impressed with players enters into it I don’t know. Greenwood’s a rapist piece of shit, doesn’t mean we can’t acknowledge that he’s talented. Same goes for Haaland even if he plays for a club with scummy owners. And people on here regularly have a go at players for joining these "projects". United fans were shitting on Beckham and Neville and the like for their role in promoting and covering the Qatar World Cup, so I don’t see the hypocrisy?

Where the feck do Israel come into this? Does the Israeli state own any clubs? And check the CE forum, the vast majority of Caftards find the Israeli state abhorrent.

You’re really reaching here.
I don't think he's reaching generally here. You said there are different levels of shit actors but some of the same state entities as Amar pointed out own European clubs and sponsor others. Speaking of sponsors, you don't need to look further than Barclays, the banking partner of the PL which is very much tied to arming Israel in its genocide against Palestinians. There's of course the fact that Israel has been welcomed in European competitions for decades. His Haaland point is also valid because we hardly see the same vitriol against City players for being part of this project. People get a whiff of a player going to Saudi and it's like they sold their soul.

Saudi League is tainted for many reasons but don't believe that the level of dirtiness in European football is lower.

I don't think he's reaching generally here. You said there are different levels of shit actors but some of the same state entities as Amar pointed out own European clubs and sponsor others. Speaking of sponsors, you don't need to look further than Barclays, the banking partner of the PL which is very much tied to arming Israel in its genocide against Palestinians. There's of course the fact that Israel has been welcomed in European competitions for decades. His Haaland point is also valid because we hardly see the same vitriol against City players for being part of this project. People get a whiff of a player going to Saudi and it's like they sold their soul.

Saudi League is tainted for many reasons but don't believe that the level of dirtiness in European football is lower.

Like I said, there’s plenty of criticism levelled at clubs owned by state actors in Europe, so I don’t get the claims of hypocrisy? And the difference between going to City and going to a Saudi club is that City are playing in the CL and Premier League, which are very highly coveted arenas to ply your trade as a top footballer. No top footballer at their peak has playing professional football in the Saudi league as their dream, so their motivations are fairly clear.

Barclays have taken onboard criticism and have said they are going to divest from those companies, which indicates that there has been an outcry, and secondly that they care about such perceptions. Not sure what you expect from a bank, or any other corporation, what with their stated goal being "make more money", but they aren’t immune to criticism, that much is clear. States are generally shit too, I can attest to that considering where Norwegian oil money gets invested, but nobody is excusing that.

What happened when there was an attempt to make Qatar honour basic human rights? FIFA kow-towed, and were rightly given a lot of shit over it. And whatever dirt European clubs get up to, they aren’t making laws that make half the population lesser than, and they don’t criminalize and kill and flog people merely for being who they are.

So I don’t see how they’re fully comparable, and I don’t see free passes issued to European clubs when they get caught with their pants down.

Anyway, feel free to respond, but I’m going to stop de-railing this thread now. I’m sure some people click it expecting to see discussions abour Smalling :lol:

Edit: I see now that I skimmed too quickly and little on Barclays, they were only considering pulling out. Doesn’t change much of what I wrote though, Barclays face a lot of criticism for it, and rightly so.

Last edited:
Football fans are so worried about professionals not making enough money that they justify these Saudi moves like 1 year of salary isn't more money than anyone here makes in a lifetime.

Not to mention PL players have a really nice retirement plan so they are set no matter what. Those gambling away their wealth still manage.

Like I said, there’s plenty of criticism levelled at clubs owned by state actors in Europe, so I don’t get the claims of hypocrisy? And the difference between going to City and going to a Saudi club is that City are playing in the CL and Premier League, which are very highly coveted arenas to ply your trade as a top footballer. No top footballer at their peak has playing professional football in the Saudi league.

Barclays have taken onboard criticism and have said they are going to divest from those companies, which indicates that there has been an outcry, and secondly that they care about such perceptions. What happened when there was an attempt to make Qatar honour basic human rights? FIFA kow-towed, and were rightly given a lot of shit over it. And whatever dirt European clubs get up to, they aren’t making laws that make half the population lesser than, and they don’t criminalize and kill and flog people merely for being who they are.

So I don’t see how they’re fully comparable, and I don’t see free passes issued to European clubs when they get caught with their pants down.
No top footballer at their peak wanted to go to City till they poured billions into the club. My point is that European clubs are benefiting heavily from these states or sponsor companies with dirt dealings. All money in football is heavily linked and it doesn't make much difference if these players get that money in Europe or Saudi. It's still the same dirty money which gives power to these people.

Barclays' statement was basically a denial of their involvement and some empty words about monitoring the situation.

You think United fans haven't been heavily critical of City's ownership?