Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a revolving door of centre back partners will help him. That last 15/20 minutes next to McNair were the shakiest he's looked all season

Only centre back who knows how to win a duel against a good player. He cannot go into every duel in and around the box. Rojo was better than Blind though.

Oh I agree, my comment wasn't meant as a negative, without Shaw there to help Blind it made Smallings job on the physical side of things that much harder.

Agree that he didn't look as good today, but Southampton were arguably our toughest test so far for periods of the game since they often looked dangerous in attack. I'd say that Smalling still looked better than Blind today.

I thought he was very disappointing for the first goal.

I thought he was alright, but nowhere as good as other recent games. I'm not sure how much Shaw's absence will affect his play.

That was probably his worst game of the season, which speaks volumes as he didn't actually play that bad. Made a feck load of clearances.

I thought he was very disappointing for the first goal.
Not really sure what he could've done tbh, it was Blind that lost Mane.

He was terrible for the Pelle chance that hit the post, other than that I thought he was good.

His worst game of the season. Pelle was on fire early on though and he did a better job than Blind at handling him. Think all the change around him is going to impact upon his form.

Read over on Scott from RoM gave him a 5 rating on ESPNFC, stating he was at fault for both goals. Not really sure what that's about. McNair should have been on Pelle for the 2nd and really not sure how Smalling was at fault for Pelle getting on the loose ball for the first- at that point everyone was running back and reacting to the cross.

Didn't take responsibility, there were a few times in the second half especially where a defender like Vidic or Terry would have clattered through about 4 players and eliminated the danger but Smalling was far too passive.

Magic Mike!!! Another strong performance after a nervy start. Controlled the game and his touch under pressure was quite soothing to watch. I like it when he does not go and try to head the ball out of the defense every time. He reads the play and if required chests or controls the ball to ensure we do not give away possession. Just the CB LVG loves!

His worst game of the season. Pelle was on fire early on though and he did a better job than Blind at handling him. Think all the change around him is going to impact upon his form.
I also thought that he was not as commanding and in control as in the past few games. Doesnt help if LVG doesnt play a settled back four

Man Utd 3:0 Ipswich
He's grown into such a commanding figure at the back, I never imagined having so much confidence in him to deal with what ever comes his way.

Mike is definitely the better Smalling. Been immense ever since they switched them at that press conference.

That article says Arsenal bid again for him this summer. Another one that got away, eh, Wenger? :smirk:

That article says Arsenal bid again for him this summer. Another one that got away, eh, Wenger? :smirk:

Arsene can lick Ed's balls. He doesnt give up, fair play to him, but Evans was the only CB who was available. Maybe if he asked nicely, we would have loaned them Paddy or Blackett, but thats as far as we would go to solve their defensive mess.

The boss at the back, his psychical attributes are now being married to composure and confidence.

The obvious future United Captain. He's fast to become the collection of excellent CB United has had.

One of the best center backs in the league (maybe the best). I loved it when was facing the Sunderland player (who I forgot) and he just led him wide into the corner flag and then tackled the ball of him. Brilliant.

One of the best center backs in the league (maybe the best). I loved it when was facing the Sunderland player (who I forgot) and he just led him wide into the corner flag and then tackled the ball of him. Brilliant.

Fletcher.

He's really taken up the mantle after the old guard left. A prospect a couple of seasons ago to being one of our main leaders on the pitch. What an excellent defender he's developed into.

People were laughing when the thread about him being possibly the best CB in the league was made. Have said it since they both joined the club, for all of Jones's hype, Smalling will end up the much ore accomplished CB. Absolutely excellent.

That run in the first half, with the pass to Rooney [who messed up] was properly beast mode.

People were laughing when the thread about him being possibly the best CB in the league was made. Have said it since they both joined the club, for all of Jones's hype, Smalling will end up the much ore accomplished CB. Absolutely excellent.

Some of the names nominated that were allegedly better than him :lol::lol:

Very, very solid. Loved how he indicated to the rest of the defence to play their right-winger offside when he ran past Smalling. Just completely in control of the situation. The dispossessing of Fletcher was very smart as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.