Bring him back - resigning players who previously left

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Every time an ex-United player has a good game, there are 100s of posts crying about we shouldn't have let them go, we should resign them, bring them home etc etc (see the Gomes thread).

I was wondering how many examples, from World football, where resigning a player that previously left worked out well.

Griezmann immediately springs to mind, but there can't be that many examples.

Look how Ronaldo back to United worked out :mad:

Claudio Pizarro has to be kind of the record holder for this. Werder Bremen signed him five times in total (so brought him back four times). Also Bayern München signed him twice (so brought him back once). And he always fulfilled the expectation when he returned (which changed over time of course, from main striker to experienced squad player).

Shearer as Newcastle manager. A triumphant return (for everyone but Shearer and Newcastle) for sure.

Drogba, won the CL & left Chelsea, came back and won the league.

Ian Rush, left Liverpool then came back and became their top scorer.

Fowler. The first months were fine I think.

Evans was more than fine last year for what he was brought for.

Scholes was good when he came back for the first 6 months (resigning a retired player still fells as one of the weirdest transfers a top club has made).

Hleb went to Bate Borisov 5 times. Surely some were successful

Fowler. The first months were fine I think.

Evans was more than fine last year for what he was brought for.

Scholes was good when he came back for the first 6 months (resigning a retired player still fells as one of the weirdest transfers a top club has made).

Came on against city i believe and still managed 97/100 passes, and looked like he hadn't been away. Was an incredible player.

Funnily for all our flops through the years I can't think of many who went elsewhere and made me envious or regret selling. Don't think any of the recent departures will do that either.

There's a couple of cheap ones that United should be looking at right now.

Angel Gomes back next summer when his contract is up.

Also think we should try to re-sign Kovar from Leverkusen.

Hummels seemed to do alright when he went back to Dortmund. Played there for another 4-5 seasons anyway

Ronaldo on loan in March when Ruud is managing us is going to happen by the way.

There's probably lots of cases of South American players who returned to their previous clubs. I believe Tevez and Riquelme had successful returns at Boca Juniors, for example.

Be nice if we could head off all this moaning at the pass.

Here's a thought. Everyone who is going to have a bellyache about how we made a terrible mistake by letting Shola Shoretire leave please express an interest in this thread today. If you don't do this, you will be banned from redcafe should you start complaining about him at any point in the future.

Mark Hughes was a huge success upon his return.

As somebody from Teesside, Juninho is still seen as God up here. He had 3 separate spells at Boro, winning their first ever trophy in the final one.
Big Sol had a relatively successful yet brief return to Arsenal
Zlatan was a success upon his return to Milan.
Drogba won the title at his second Chelsea spell.
Matic and Pique mentioned above are probably the most successful examples

Didn't chelsea sell Matic then re sign him?

There's not been a single player we've sold in the last decade or so that I've felt like we should bring back at any point

Fabregas and Pique for Barcelona. Le Saux, Matic, Luiz, and Drogba for Chelsea. Tevez for Boca. Tevez again for Boca. Buffon for Parma. Costa for Atletico, less so at the third attempt. Torres was also alright in his second spell, but nowhere near Griezmann levels of course. Zaha for Palace. I don't know how many times Juninho returned to Boro but he was always good for them. Hughes for us. Rakitic for Sevilla. Defoe for Spurs. Probably Defoe for one or two others actually as he always seemed to be on his way back somewhere. Keown and to a lesser extent Flamini for Arsenal. Hummels for Dortmund. I think Kuyt must've gone back to Feyenoord a bunch of times and done well too. Zlatan for Milan.

Can't think of any more though. Guess you must be right.

Paul Scholes. Can't be mentioned enough on this first page.

Epic day. Almost epic season.

Fabregas and Pique for Barcelona. Le Saux, Matic, Luiz, and Drogba for Chelsea. Tevez for Boca. Tevez again for Boca. Buffon for Parma. Costa for Atletico, less so at the third attempt. Torres was also alright in his second spell, but nowhere near Griezmann levels of course. Zaha for Palace. I don't know how many times Juninho returned to Boro but he was always good for them. Hughes for us. Rakitic for Sevilla. Defoe for Spurs. Probably Defoe for one or two others actually as he always seemed to be on his way back somewhere. Keown and to a lesser extent Flamini for Arsenal. Hummels for Dortmund. I think Kuyt must've gone back to Feyenoord a bunch of times and done well too. Zlatan for Milan.

Can't think of any more though. Guess you must be right.

Probably another Tevez for Boca

Jardel during his bouncing around period of Porto and Gala

Chicarito could have been useful at the time if we ignore van Gaal's stubornness. Even Jose could have utilized him well. Ole would have loved him as well.
Nani as well because we were in a dire need of wingers.