Gaming Black Myth: Wukong (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X) - 2023

The latter. No punishment for death in this so the anxiety of losing progress isn’t there.

There’s a pretty frustrating area in chapter 3 though.
Great. Think I’ll try this on sale down the line as that style suits me far better. I’ve tried time and time again with Dark Souls/Elden Ring and I just can’t make that formula click.

Great. Think I’ll try this on sale down the line as that style suits me far better. I’ve tried time and time again with Dark Souls/Elden Ring and I just can’t make that formula click.

I think that’s fair, it’s not for everyone but I do feel like it takes a while to click for most people, usually it comes from the adrenaline rush of overcoming the first major obstacle and then you get addicted. This game is a good place to start because you don’t have the constant anxiety of losing your progress - but I feel like that is a big part of the ‘souls’ experience.

This game looks good, but watching Digital Foundry's review, it looks to have some performance issues on PS5. I'll give it a few months for them to patch it and play it then.

This game looks good, but watching Digital Foundry's review, it looks to have some performance issues on PS5. I'll give it a few months for them to patch it and play it then.

Experienced none myself so far on performance mode.

Hit game Black Myth: Wukong faces backlash after telling players not to discuss ‘feminist propaganda’

Do NOT insult other influencers or players.
Do NOT use any offensive language/humor.
Do NOT include politics, violence, nudity, feminist propaganda, fetishization, and other content that instigates negative discourse.
Do NOT use trigger words such as ‘quarantine’ or ‘isolation’ or ‘Covid-19’.
Do NOT discuss content related to China’s game industry policies, opinions, news, etc.

100% it today.
Game of the year contender for sure. Better than FF7 Rebirth in my opinion.

Soooo where on a FROM software scale are we putting this one?
In terms of fun? For me, it's something like:
1-2: Nioh 1 & Bloodborne
3. Elden Ring
4-5. Sekiro & Black Myth: Wukong.

In terms of difficulty, it is hard to say. If I do it off of normal enemies, then this is easier than any soulsborne or souls-like I have played.
If we're talking bosses, then it is a tiny bit higher. A lot of the main bosses have weaknesses that you can exploit if you find certain abilities in the chapter you are at, that really takes down the difficulty.
The top 2 fights in this game certainly belong on the soulsborne scale somewhere.
Final boss(es) of the game, the stone monkey and the broken shell, due to it being a somewhat long fight where most people won't have fully upgraded their gourd yet, and trading blows then becomes a bad idea. I found the first stone phase to feel slow, quite similar to Mortal Shell. Not bad, but certainly a warm-up for the 2nd and 4th phase. I think it is nice of them to give you a checkpoint if you get to the 3rd phase, otherwise, I suspect a lot of non-souls players would be very unhappy with this boss gauntlet.

Erlang Shen fight after the final boss was a genuine fight. You can't just jump in and attack him like crazy, as he will block your attacks and counter. You are better off countering his moves by dodging them into attacking him, making it feel like a very smooth fight once the rhythm is down.

Weird no shops in Denmark are selling this for PS5 despite the attention its getting. The popularity doesnt seem align with the reviews either. Im a bit skint atm, so dunno whether to pick it up. And whether it should be on PC or PS5. Generally I play rpgs on consoles but also because games are often poorly optimized for PC.

Weird no shops in Denmark are selling this for PS5 despite the attention its getting. The popularity doesnt seem align with the reviews either. Im a bit skint atm, so dunno whether to pick it up. And whether it should be on PC or PS5. Generally I play rpgs on consoles but also because games are often poorly optimized for PC.
The reviews aren't really the reason for the attention - it's the player count. It's being hailed as one of the biggest single player launches till date I believe.

It's not released on disc yet.

For context the peak players on Steam for Wukong's launch is about 2.4m.

Compared to 1m for Cyberpunk and ~900k for Elden Ring, BG3 and Hogwarts Legacy.

For context the peak players on Steam for Wukong's launch is about 2.4m.

Compared to 1m for Cyberpunk and ~900k for Elden Ring, BG3 and Hogwarts Legacy.
Is the majority of that player base from China?

Been debating whether or not to get it, I’ve had a big void in gaming since BG3 and I can’t really find anything that I’d enjoy enough to sink my spare time into.

Is the majority of that player base from China?

Been debating whether or not to get it, I’ve had a big void in gaming since BG3 and I can’t really find anything that I’d enjoy enough to sink my spare time into.

Don’t know if there’s any official figures by country but I’d guesstimate at least 80% of that 2.4m are from China.

Been playing this the last few days, really enjoying it. A good challenge too with some of the boss fights. That first wight thing was a pain to beat.

Just got to chapter 3. Absolutely loving it. Great level design, fun combat, great boss fights and I don't feel like any of them have been cheap or anything, some just take a bit of learning as you fight them. Most fun game I've played in ages. I think Elden Ring and the DLC, while great, is just too big and I'm not big on the open world thing anymore while this has a God of War vibe that I really love and focuses you in (while still having those secret side quests).

Are most you playing this on pc with a controller? Feel like picking it up but im finding the ps5 price too steep. But im used to these games being poorly optimized for pc.

I booted this up today. I bought it for pc mainly for the lower price tag. Ive spent 3 hours just to try get to run properly hooked to my tv and playing with a controller. Im still dealing with screen tearing. Unless you can afford the geforce 4000 series it really seems that only FPS, strategy games and certain RPG games like BG3 are suited for PC.

This game desperately needs a map.

Im finding the game too hard. Being stuck on bosses in a boss rush game becomes too frustrating. Maybe its good i got on PC because i can cheat if i want to.

Im finding the game too hard. Being stuck on bosses in a boss rush game becomes too frustrating. Maybe its good i got on PC because i can cheat if i want to.

Where are you at? Some of the bosses took way too many tries, but it feels so good when you finally beat them. Its different play styles too - one of the bosses people complain online, I finished in one shot - others where they found easy took me like 20 goes

Where are you at? Some of the bosses took way too many tries, but it feels so good when you finally beat them. Its different play styles too - one of the bosses people complain online, I finished in one shot - others where they found easy took me like 20 goes

I got stuck on white clad noble. I couldn't get into respeccing for each boss and loooking up guides, so i used a trainer to increase the character speed a little to give me the xtra edge for the remaining bosses on chapter 1.

Ive beaten all the from soft games and souls like games without cheating. Im just so low on patience due to poor health that i can't be bothered after 10-20 consecutive deaths.