Best XI?

I see Mainoo is the latest untested saviour, a few weeks back it was Hannibal!

I don't think we have a best eleven as yet, until untried players are given a decent run it's not possible to decide.
If Bayinder has great games while Ohno is at AFCON, will he be top of everyone's list?

AWB is as inconsistent as the rest of the team, I prefer Dalot at RB.
Martinez hasn't really played and may not be the player he was last season.
There are far too many if's and but's at the moment surrounding the whole squad.

Based on Caf match ratings it would be this (5 games or more):

Onana (5.7)
AWB (5.9) - Maguire (6.0) - Evans/Varane (5.5) - Reguilon (5.3)
Mejbri (5.6) - Eriksen (5.2)
Pellistri (5.3) - Bruno (5.0) - Garnacho (5.4)
Hojlund (5.7)​

No it isnt considering Rashfords form this season. There are valid reasons to prefer either one.
There's no valid reason to prefer Amad given he hasn't even played for the first team for about two years.

Why would they compete for a position, they play opposite sides?
Rashford plays on the right plenty of times and a number of people in this thread have put him on the right, so it's pretty self explanatory really.

Rashford plays on the right plenty of times and a number of people in this thread have put him on the right, so it's pretty self explanatory really.
I guess we have a very different idea of the world 'plenty' then

I think with this squad, it's really difficult to just class it as a first XI, we really need to be looking at it as full match day squad. the options we have on the wings for substitutes is pretty good, and we have different profiles of midfielders too.

In an ideal world, you would have rashford and garnacho keep subbing for each other and giving right backs hell all game, same on the right for Antony/pellistri/amad. Kobbie, last seasons Casemiro should be able to win a lot of midfield battles and retain possession, but also have the physicality element to sub on if need be with amrabat/Mct. The squad has lots of options, it's in a good place. I genuinely think we are 2 signings away from competing for everything within the next 3 years.

Varane over Maggy.

Probably being a tad optimistic but there’s so much to admire about Maguire the last few months. Really flipped me from wanting him catapulted from the club (literally) to really getting behind him and wanting it to work out for him.

Bayindir
Awb
Maguire
Martinez
Shaw
Mainoo
Mctominay
Bruno
Garnacho
Rashford
Martial

There's no valid reason to prefer Amad given he hasn't even played for the first team for about two years.

Rashford has been in really poor form this season and has never really been good on the right, whereas Amad was player of the season in the championship in that position. Absolutely valid reason to prefer him.

Probably being a tad optimistic but there’s so much to admire about Maguire the last few months. Really flipped me from wanting him catapulted from the club (literally) to really getting behind him and wanting it to work out for him.
At this point i think he's worth keeping around regardless.

Onana
AWB, Varane, Licha, Shaw
Cas, Mainoo
Bruno, Mount, Rashford
Hojlund

I'd say the above would be the best team we could put out in this mythical land where everyone is in peak condition. We may not live to see it though.

11 Georgie Best
10 Georgie Best
9 Georgie Best
8 Georgie Best
7 Georgie Best
6 Georgie Best
Fiiiive Georgie Bessst........

If all are fit and firing, i'd say this:
Onana
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Rashford Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund​

I don't think we have a best 11.

What I want to see:

Onana
AWB Maguire Martinez Shaw
Mainoo Amrabat
Amad Bruno/Mount Garnacho
Hojlund
If I could trust Martial to play consistently without fear of injury, I'd probably take Bruno/Mount out and try him with Hojlund.

I guess we have a very different idea of the world 'plenty' then
He's started 50 odd games there, without counting games he's moved over from right to left after a change. I don't rate him on the right either but I'd argue that counts as plenty.

Rashford has been in really poor form this season and has never really been good on the right, whereas Amad was player of the season in the championship in that position. Absolutely valid reason to prefer him.
He wasn't the Championship player of the season. He wasn't even the Championship young player of the season. He did win Sunderland's young player of the season though. I like the lad and he's clearly got talent but he's got a lot to show before he should be considered a preferred option to someone like Rashford.

The amount of people including Amad in a best XI is insane given how little he's played for us. Classic grass is greener syndrome. Maybe he will end up being our first choice RW, and I'd love to see him get more chances when he's fit, but at present there's absolutely no certainty he's better than our other options.

Based on form, best III at best maybe? Shaw Bruno Garnacho. The rest is either untested, out of form or not good enough thus changeable.

Former starters may help when they're back from injuries and hit form, but that's not guaranteed, hence I said in other thread that it's uncertain for people's XI would fix all the issues: bad build up play from GK; defensive issue with low block, defending transition and high line; controlling the game via possession and resting defense line; scoring well work team goals. The foundation is not here to see this season.

Last edited:
He's started 50 odd games there, without counting games he's moved over from right to left after a change. I don't rate him on the right either but I'd argue that counts as plenty.

He wasn't the Championship player of the season. He wasn't even the Championship young player of the season. He did win Sunderland's young player of the season though. I like the lad and he's clearly got talent but he's got a lot to show before he should be considered a preferred option to someone like Rashford.

I wouldnt prefer him over Rashford in other positions, but Rashford has been so bad on the right that I would take Amad any day.

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Amrabat Mainoo
Mount Fernandes Garnacho
Hojlund

Altay

AWB
Martinez
Varane
Shaw

Amrabat Kobe
Bruno

Garnacho
Hojlund
Rashford

Last edited:
Out of all the reds we possibly see at old Trafford our best 11 ermmm
————————-—Stepney———-
-Wes. — maysie — pally— irwin
-macari— Robbo—big norm— thornley
——————Cole————-Webber——-

???

I'm shocked at Rashford being included, really shocked. I think some people really need a think.

For games like Newcastle away where we know we're not the strong team, we should probably play the way Madrid used to play when Isco took Bale's job:

Garnacho-------Hojlund--------------------
--------------Mount--------------Bruno-------
---------------------------Mainoo-----------------
Shaw-------Case/Amrabat-----------------Dalot
-------------Lisandro------Varane-------------
------------------------Onana-----------------------

Concede that the other team's LB will have lots of freedom and when gets forward, Mainoo can go over and Mount fills in for him.

At least everyone is in a position that suits them.

Games where we have more of the play, you can bring in Antony and take out Mount.

I'm shocked at Rashford being included, really shocked. I think some people really need a think.

I agree he has been utterly useless this season. But what are the alternatives. Antony? Sancho? Both struggled. Pellestri looks lively but cant see him ever being a top 6 elite winger. We need so many new signings its scary. We have pissed away money for years.