Music BBC top 25 hip hop tracks

It is my favourite tracks. What else would it be?

Presumably, 'the best', based on a number of factors like favourtism obviously, commercial success, cultural impact, skill, lyrics, flow, beat etc
Some people may favour lyrics over beat, or impact over skill for example - but I think just listing your favourite is a bit limiting and is likely to change at any given time?

For example, 'Lose Yourself' is never going to be played by me, but it would be a bit silly to deny that it's probably Eminem's best song that ticks all of the criteria I listed above, and therefore it pretty much should be included on any 'Best' song list when discussing hip-hop.

Everyone listing their favourite tracks would be far too biased to gain any real insight from, imo.

10. Criminology - Raekwon feat. Ghostface Killah
9. What's My Name? - Snoop Dogg
8. Award Tour - A Tribe Called Quest
7. NY State of Mind - Nas
6. Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos - Pubic Enemy
5. I Don't Give a feck - Tupac
4. Triumph - Wu Tang Clan
3. Nuthin but a G Thang - Dr. Dre
2. feck tha Police - NWA
1. Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J

As far as impossible lists like this go, I think this is pretty good though I definitely notice a heavy slant to the 90's and NY-based rappers. Which is fine by me, given that's my favorite rap as well.

Given that, my only surprise is that Run-DMC and Jay-Z didn't aren't on the list.

This is probably my top 10:
10. 50 Cent - In Da Club (an all-time great club banger, don't deny it)
9. Jay-Z - Dead Presidents (iconic beat)
8. Nas - NY State of Mind (crazy good lyrics)
7. Common - I Used To Love H.E.R (great beat & lyrics)
6. Paris - Days of Old (powerful lyrics)
5. Dr Dre - Still Dre ft Snoop (legendary beat)
4. Scarface - I Seen A Man Die (great lyrics and videoclip)
3. Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M (iconic beat & lyrics)
2. Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Part II (legendary beat)
1. Jedi Mind Tricks ft RA - Uncommon Valor (2nd verse is the best verse I've ever heard)

Very very hard list to make, I probably forgot loads of songs but my criteria would probably be instrumental (beat), how iconic the song is, replayability or lyrics. I'm not real

Willing to make a top 25.

Last edited:
10. Criminology - Raekwon feat. Ghostface Killah
9. What's My Name? - Snoop Dogg
8. Award Tour - A Tribe Called Quest
7. NY State of Mind - Nas
6. Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos - Pubic Enemy
5. I Don't Give a feck - Tupac
4. Triumph - Wu Tang Clan
3. Nuthin but a G Thang - Dr. Dre
2. feck tha Police - NWA
1. Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J

Like it, Doc.

That said I like a few Wu tracks more than Triumph.

Everything, if it's the best it should tick most boxes.
Cool, I’ve probably made some omissions but here’s my top 20:

1. Wu Tang: C.R.E.A.M
2.Mobb Deep: Quiet Storm
3. Nas: The Message
4. Tupac: Brendas got a baby
5. Warring G & Nate Dogg: Regulate
6. Snoop and Dre: Deep Cover
7. Nas: N.Y. State of mind
8. DMX: Get at me Dogg
9. Tupac: So Many Tears
10. Jay Z: Dead Presidents
11. Notorious BIG: I Got a Story to tell
12. Common: I used to love her
12. Kanye and Rick Ross: Devil in a new dress
13. Jadakiss and Styles P: We gonna make it
14. Xzibit: Papparazi
15. Raekwon, Ghostface and Nas: Verbal Intercourse
16. Big Pun Fat Joe: Twinz
17. Nas and A.Z: Life’s a Bitch
18. Beanie Siegel: Feel it in the air
19. Notorious BIG: Miss u
20. J Cole: Lost Ones

A bit more of a modern take just off the top of my head. I'm not old enough/wasn't into it at the time to appreciate some of the older stuff so bear in mind. Sure I've missed loads, also not in any particular order.

Kendrick Lamar - Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst
Kendrick Lamar - Rigamortus
Anderson Paak - The Season / Carry Me
Tyler The Creator - November
Travis Scott - 90210
Outkast - Aquemini
Outkast - SpottieOttieDopaliscious
Outkast - Da Art Of Storytellin' (Pt.1)
Mos Def - Mathematics
Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M
Gang Starr - Work
Eminem - Cleanin' Out My Closet
Nas - NY State Of Mind
Madvillain - All Caps or maybe Figaro.

Kendrick has so many great tracks, its really hard to pick a #1.

Right off the top of my mind I can't choose which one I like more among these:

HiiPower
ADHD
DNA
Rigamortus
How much a dollar cost
King Kunta
Money Trees
Kush and Corinthians
Bitch don't kill my vibe
Swimming pools

Like it, Doc.

That said I like a few Wu tracks more than Triumph.

Cheers, Spoons. I do, too, but Triumph has something to it and Inspectah Deck just kills it on the opening verse.

Difficult though. No room for Outkast, Rakim or Big Daddy Kane :(

Who's gonna volunteer their own list? Or a top 10?
It's impossible to do, there are way more than 10 tracks that are of that quality. Even, myself I couldn't say what my top 10 is as I rank so many on the highest level. It would maybe easier to do it in tiers.

Not sure on this one. But any song on Slim Shady Lp was better than loose yourself

Nothing but a G thang is nice too

Would have been nice to see a Lupe song like Mural on the list. To be honest, there are far too many for me to make a definitive top 10.

It's impossible to do, there are way more than 10 tracks that are of that quality. Even, myself I couldn't say what my top 10 is as I rank so many on the highest level. It would maybe easier to do it in tiers.

Oh yeah it's definitely difficult, that's all part of the fun

Not sure on this one. But any song on Slim Shady Lp was better than loose yourself

Nothing but a G thang is nice too

Adrenaline Rush is a great shout.

I think I kind of agree with juicy at #1
By no means my personal favourite but it transcends the genre without watering it down. The track and chorus have mass appeal but BIG still brings that killer flow.

You could make as big an argument for CREAM to take top spot and I'd have it no lower than #2. Wu tang revolutionised the game and this is their signature track which still stands up today.

After that I'd be looking at illmatic, so many picks here but my personal fave is The World is Yours, you really could choose a handful of tracks though and if this list was greatest albums illmatic is a nailed on #1 pick for me.

Probably go west coast anthem after that. Nuthin but a g thang, today was a good day and regulate would all be solid picks but I'd go with Snoops What's my Name for similar reasons to juicy. Its a commercial track but every inch a rap classic all the same.

Ima think on the rest

No Notorious Thugz means I don't give a feck about this stupid list.

But some credit to them for not putting in any Drake songs!

Just heard the original now and made me think that P Diddy's - 'I'll be missing you' should be on that list, despite it being a change of pace from the others tunes on it.

If all aspects are being considered, Tupac's top song can't be anything other than California Love, I Get Around, or Changes.

Also, the Sugarhill Gang stole lyrics for Rapper's Delight. Big stain on that song's legacy if you ask me.

never been big into hip hop, remember really liking 9mm by BDP back in the day but just listening to some of the songs posted, one I like best so far is

NY State of Mind - Nas

only 2Pac song I liked out of those listed is California Love, liked Flava in ya ear, didn't like outkast songs, couldn't stand that hey ya when it was about years ago, will listen to more next couple of days.

Has anyone watched any of the Hip Hop Evolution series on Netflix btw?

I've only watched the New York State of Mind episode which covers the east coast NYC early 90's movement and focuses specifically on the producers and the emergence of Nas, Biggie and the Wu. It's a good watch if you're a fan.

* Goes back to looking online for a reasonably priced SP1200...

If all aspects are being considered, Tupac's top song can't be anything other than California Love, I Get Around, or Changes.

Also, the Sugarhill Gang stole lyrics for Rapper's Delight. Big stain on that song's legacy if you ask me.

I picked I Don't Give A feck because I feel it captures his essence most succinctly. Sick flow on California Love, though.

Sugarhill Gang were the definition of buster ass punks and don't even merit discussion. Phony Rappers. They worked in a pizza joint.

I picked I Don't Give A feck because I feel it captures his essence most succinctly. Sick flow on California Love, though.

Sugarhill Gang were the definition of buster ass punks and don't even merit discussion. Phony Rappers. They worked in a pizza joint.
I love I Don’t Give a feck but that’s long before Tupac became the larger than life personality that was practically the face of the west coast. He was still a bay area politically minded rapper at the time. Thing is though, I think it was a mistake to get involved with Suge Knight and that he could have been more impactful had he continued his style from the pre Death Row days. If I had to pick the best from that first album, my vote goes to Brenda’s Got a Baby.

I know I am month's too late, but I had just discovered this forum, and the link to the BBC Top 25 Hip Hop etc...

... the list simply proves why the BBC is so out of touch, and so worried that the Licence Fee etc as a tax , is busted. This list is nonsense, and does not in anyway reflect those who know Hip Hop music. No Gangstarr? No De La Soul ? MosDef? Stetsasonic? The Roots? Jeru ? Talib? Fugees? One track from Wu-Tang?

The Message should be No 1. That song had a huge influence on not only hip hop, but the wider music industry, through it's social and political positioning. The video inspired Yo' MTV Raps etc.. you cannot understate the influence of such music.

Some of those tracks are weak. Juicy by B.I.G ? That's an awful, soppy track! His proper tracks are 10 Crack Commandments, and Who Shot Ya'....etc those are real fecking hip-hop tracks.

BBC are going through the beginning of the end of their old cycle. Needs to trim itself down, and focus on a few things, and do them well. Do you know the BBC emplys 16 000 staf!! It's almost bizarre....

It's impossible to be personally objective in making such a list. I'd also rather just name the top 25 tracks in no particular order, because it's so difficult to say which one is better and why, or maybe do it in 4 or 5 tiers, again without ordering them in particular.

never been big into hip hop, remember really liking 9mm by BDP back in the day but just listening to some of the songs posted, one I like best so far is

NY State of Mind - Nas

only 2Pac song I liked out of those listed is California Love, liked Flava in ya ear, didn't like outkast songs, couldn't stand that hey ya when it was about years ago, will listen to more next couple of days.

Go back to the older Outkast stuff not the mainstream stuff they released after Mrs Jackson, some of their pre Jackson stuff was immense.