Television Band of Brothers

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Just on the episode where they discover the concentration camp. Harrowing episode.

Such a great TV series
I've been to Auschwitz twice and that deep, sick, empty void you feel when you there is very much captured in that episode.

I have honestly no idea what any of the soliders thought when they discovered the camps on the day and realised what they were but the episode is so, so good at giving some sort of insight.

The horrors they suffered throughout their campaign and all the losses and then they finally get to relative peace and calm and they find this and it's just....breathtakingly sad and painful.

Big Andy

Bloke
I've been to Auschwitz twice and that deep, sick, empty void you feel when you there is very much captured in that episode.

I have honestly no idea what any of the soliders thought when they discovered the camps on the day and realised what they were but the episode is so, so good at giving some sort of insight.

The horrors they suffered throughout their campaign and all the losses and then they finally get to relative peace and calm and they find this and it's just....breathtakingly sad and painful.
Yeah I’ve been to Auschwitz and it’s just a harrowing place to go. The worst of humanity and you can feel it in the air even now.

Started watching The Pacific now after BoB. Going in with an open mind after reading the reviews on here

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I’ve been to Auschwitz and it’s just a harrowing place to go. The worst of humanity and you can feel it in the air even now.

Started watching The Pacific now after BoB. Going in with an open mind after reading the reviews on here
It’s good. It just gets compared with BoB by default. Treat it like its own thing.

Big Andy

Bloke
Watching stuff like this makes me sad that I never really asked my grandad’s and uncles about their war experiences before they died. I was only young when they both died and wasn’t interested in history at the time. I’d love to have known where they went, what they did, etc.

Mike Smalling

Finished it. Loved it. Might even re-watch the first few episodes now I know the characters.

Been doing some post-watch research and a lot of the people portrayed lived to a ripe old age.
There are two documentaries I'd recommend as a follow-up to watching Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

"We stand alone together" - This is basically just more interviews, stories and perspectives from the surviving members of the Band of Brothers company, which didn't make it into the small introductions to each episode. Link.

"He has seen war" - Really excellent documentary about what it was like for some of these people to go home after the war, how they were treated and how the government dealt with it. It has some of the surviving soldiers seen in Band of Brothers and The Pacific. Link.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Watching stuff like this makes me sad that I never really asked my grandad’s and uncles about their war experiences before they died. I was only young when they both died and wasn’t interested in history at the time. I’d love to have known where they went, what they did, etc.
I was the same. He died when I was 10 in 1999 before I had an interest. I actually went and visited my uncle literally last week and he showed me all of my Grandad’s war records and told me some stories he’d heard from people. It was really interesting.

Tarrou

my great-grandfather died in WW2 when the ship was downed by a U-boat, a few months before the end of the war

a few years before my grandfather died (he was quite senile by then) some knob-head knocked on his door and ended up convincing him to sell his dads war medals for like 50 quid... fecking scumbag

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I spoke to my Grandad and Great Uncle a lot about the war before they died and it really was just incredible stuff. Incredible in the sense of the scale of human suffering and bravery. No one escaped it. When you compare it to what we faced growing up and what our kids face, it makes you sick the way some people are these days.

My Grandad was a spy in the war. He spoke 5 languages fluently, and his German was so good that he spent 2 years behind enemy lines in Hamburg and Berlin collecting intel and feeding it back to MI6. The way he told of the constant fear of being discovered and captured, it tore me to shreds. Also the human suffering he witnessed from the starving civilian population was harrowing.

My Great Uncle stormed the beaches on D-Day and he found it hard to go into great detail about what he witnessed; but what he did tell me, changed me forever. He was the one that got me into the Great War documentary from the 70s, World at War. Still the best war documentary ever made imo.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
First look at Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks' World War 2 drama Masters of the Air is here

https://www.gamesradar.com/masters-...utm_campaign=socialflow/#lnex03mn0mfbn57hnj5d

The first look at Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks' World War 2 drama Masters of the Air has landed.

The show's release date has also been revealed: the first two episodes will land on January 26, 2024, with episodes following weekly after that. The series will consist of nine episodes and will stream on Apple TV Plus.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

The Pacific is different to BoB because BoB is adapted from Stephen E. Ambrose's book, who is a historian and fanboy so Easy Company's exploits are all portrayed primarily in a good light. The Pacific source material is autobiography/memoirs so there is less romanticising in it

Roosney

And the biggest flaw is that many of the characters look so similar (or maybe it is just the storytelling) that you end up confusing them and/or they merge a bit. Still very good of course.
They really looked the same, I had to rewind and rewatch a lot of scenes just to understand what was happening and to whom.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
And the biggest flaw is that many of the characters look so similar (or maybe it is just the storytelling) that you end up confusing them and/or they merge a bit. Still very good of course.
Yeah I also found this on my early watches. Especially when they are in the hills around Bastogne and Foy. Just a bunch of guys in foxholes.

RedDevilQuebecois

I think we need to update the thread title as "Band of Brothers/The Pacific/Masters of the Air" now.

The official teaser for Masters of the Air is here.