Australian Politics

That escalated quickly.

I am not Autralian or do I know much about politics over there. I want to know, are Australians happy that there so many coups and back stabbing? The party MPs are essentially taking the power from the people to elect their own Prime minister. What do Australians think about it?

But is it right for MPs to take it upon themselves to decide who the PM is anytime they like?
Well it has happened quite a lot so far but the ruud to julia and the julia to rudd was not liked by people but this one has support of the public

I am not Autralian or do I know much about politics over there. I want to know, are Australians happy that there so many coups and back stabbing? The party MPs are essentially taking the power from the people to elect their own Prime minister. What do Australians think about it?

I don't know a lot about Australian politics, but it is something I find very strange. I guess you could make the case that it keeps the PM on his or her toes, but equally it seems to encourage a culture of backroom politics where dodgy deals and feuds can affect who runs the country.

No one here likes it. Abbott was so reviled people have let it slide a bit which I think is a mistake. Turnbull isn't the wonderful man a lot of the centrists/left think he is and I think he gives the Libs a good shot at the next election.

But still, go home Tony, you turd.

But is it right for MPs to take it upon themselves to decide who the PM is anytime they like?

Seems odd in a way but you vote for a local member who belongs to a party not the leader themselves.

Fun though it is to see the evil bastard get the comeuppance he so deserves it might well mean that the Libs can make a comeback. Shorten can no longer simply rely on not being Tony Abbott in the way that Tony Abbott won the last election by not being Julia Gillard or Kevin Rudd (ably assisted by the massed ranks of the right wing press) and I'm far from convinced that he is up for the job.

Fun though it is to see the evil bastard get the comeuppance he so deserves it might well mean that the Libs can make a comeback. Shorten can no longer simply rely on not being Tony Abbott in the way that Tony Abbott won the last election by not being Julia Gillard or Kevin Rudd (ably assisted by the massed ranks of the right wing press) and I'm far from convinced that he is up for the job.
Shorten really needs to go.

Just when you think this Liberal Government has plumbed the moral depths they manage to top themselves in the despicable stakes. A refugee made pregnant by a rape in their offshore internment camps is finally allowed to fly to Australia for an abortion. When she got here her lawyer asked that she received counseling prior to the abortion. The Government refused and deported her for allegedly refusing the abortion. Our country is turning into a moral vacuum.

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...nt-asylum-seeker-back-to-nauru-before-hearing

No country does political back stabbing like the Aussies of recent. Incredible turnover of PMs. It's quite astonishing for a stable country and a very sound economy.

When you put it that way...long live the spill!
Really though.
Imagine having the choice of a preening Hillsong wowser and a likeness of Franco carved into a potato.

I dislike Morrison with a passion but Voldemort would have been far worse.

Can't wait for Murdoch to kick the bucket.
There, I said it.

Charlie and Camilla here on a rather odd tour. Very few events and he looks like death warmed up. Crowds of dozens contrasting hugely with former royal hysteria.

That woman protesting is a bit ironic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c79n20r750po

Her ancestors were sent there by the British justice system, or emigrated there. Those people then proceeded to oppress and discriminate against the indigenous population.

The monarchy is actually her's, whether she likes it or not.

A very odd thought on two counts.

She is also indigenous.
It kind of suggests that Europeans can never be Republicans. Which I’m sure is not what you’re trying to say?

From the Guardian... 'Thorpe, a Gunnai, Gunditjmara and Djab Wurrung Indigenous woman, was born into a prominent family of Aboriginal community organisers and activists.'

I see nothing 'ironic' about her protest.

Charles was non-plussed by his pal Peter Ball being a paedophile to the point of buying him a house, so I doubt he'd be offended by anything said at that protest. Unless they were asking him to do a hard day's work.

Her ancestors were sent there by the British justice system, or emigrated there. Those people then proceeded to oppress and discriminate against the indigenous population.

What kind of comment is this?

And why talk about her origin, instead of debating her message?

You could say that she was not polite and didn’t do it the right way. I would take that.

But, she has the right to say that she does not like the monarchy. I don’t either. I would abolish the monarchy everywhere in the world.

What utter nonsense Colin. She is Indigenous and there has never been a treaty, so why on earth should she accept the English Monarchy, who are only in charge because of a colonial invasion? And you can't discount the Crown's responsibility for the treatment of indigenous people over the years just because Charlie boy didn't personally shoot anyone. Thorpe is a bit erratic at times but often she has a point (like in this case) even if her strident nature confronts my (annoyingly very British) sense of decorum.

And the bizarre huffing and puffing about this has managed to distract from what to me seems like a significant reduction in Australian enthusiasm for the monarchy since Liz popped her clogs. Not a single state Premier accepted an invite to meet Charlie in Canberra for example. Crowds have generally not even got to be big enough to constitute a crowd. So we may grow up and have our own head of state eventually.

Last edited: