Astronomy & Space Exploration

Image is like Hubble deepfield but a giant blurry brown circle in the middle due to that dust

You can get the stream on NBC news YouTube.

It's one image tonight then a suite more tomorrow from NASA not Biden.

The first image, with more coming tomorrow

First Images from the James Webb Space Telescope | NASA

main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-1280.jpg

It's a deep field image not unlike hubbles many images in terms of detail but perhaps further back in time

If the light from this galaxies has been travelling for 13.5 Billion years, and the universe is 13 .9 billion years old, does that mean those galaxies were fully formed 400 million years after the big bang? It supposedly takes about 350 million years for our sun to travel the full circumference of our own galaxy, so the idea those galaxies were formed within 400 million years seems a bit odd. Someone with a brain explain it to me.

If the light from this galaxies has been travelling for 13.5 Billion years, and the universe is 13 .9 billion years old, does that mean those galaxies were fully formed 400 million years after the big bang? It supposedly takes about 350 million years for our sun to travel the full circumference of our own galaxy, so the idea those galaxies were formed within 400 million years seems a bit odd. Someone with a brain explain it to me.
These Galaxies are 13 billion light years away,the universe is 13.8 billion years and it takes 230-250 million years for one lap of the Milky Way. These Galaxies are going to be small and newly formed, the Milky Way and many other mature Galaxies are a result of galactic mergers. And the early stars were short lived also so this image is an embryonic view of the cosmos.

What are those star shaped figures that repeat a few times (looks like a compass symbol)? There's one really big one, slightly top left of the middle.
Good question. A supernova is my guess as they are momentarily brighter than all the stars in their galaxy.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."