Argentina National Team | general thread

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Figured they'd deserve one being one of the most historic sides and our growing connection due to garnacho and martinez.

I know people don't rate copa America compared to the euros too much but I think one could make case of them being up there with the likes of Spain 2008 to 2012 were to go on and win two consecutive copa America's.

2 continental titles, a world cup and a intercontinental super cup is a very impressive run indeed.

I know people don't rate copa America compared to the euros too much but I think one could make case of them being up there with the likes of Spain 2008 to 2012 were to go on and win two consecutive copa America's.

2 continental titles, a world cup and a intercontinental super cup is a very impressive run indeed.

Nah Spain was just completely stacked in every position(Xabi Alonso; David Silva, Fabregas, Fernando Torres etc on the bench) and had genuienly a great manager. They were boring to watch at times but they were so dominant in possesion. Argentina have a hard working team with great chemistry and mentality, but in the WC they threw away leads a bit too often and had to rely on the individual brilliance of quite old versions of Messi and Di Maria upfront to bail them out.

Last edited:
I really used to like their national team from the mid 90s until there the late 2000s and they had some of my favourite players from that era. They were also one of the best teams at bringing their youth players through and I think helped set the template for the Spanish teams that followed.

I think their going down this route again and with young players like Garnacho, Soule and the Carboni’s they have some talent to add to the current building blocks.

Nah Spain was just completely stacked in every position(Xabi Alonso; David Silva, Fabregas, Fernando Torres etc on the bench) and had genuienly a great manager. They were boring to watch at times but they were so dominant in possesion. Argentina have a hard working team with great chemistry and mentality, but in the WC they threw away leads a bit too often and had to rely on the individual brilliance of quite old versions of Messi and Di Maria upfront to bail them out.
I mean on paper that Spanish team is superior but Argentina was more impressive in their world cup victory in my opinion, they played better football and showed more versatility in their copa and world cup runs.

They'd be favourites against most historical sides too if it drags on to the pens.

I mean on paper that Spanish team is superior but Argentina was more impressive in their world cup victory in my opinion, they played better football and showed more versatility in their copa and world cup runs.

They'd be favourites against most historical sides too if it drags on to the pens.

Disagree. Spain strangled sides like Barcelona with addition of all the rest of Spanish talent. Unlike Barca they lacked prime Messi to provide the magic in final 3rd. They were still stacked like hell. Now we have Morata. They had David Villa and Torres. And Mata on the bench too.

yeah it's absolutely impressive and will rightly be remembered as probably the most dominant they have ever been in their history. I still rate that Spanish team higher because I think it's more difficult to win the Euros and it's just a bit more prestigious tournament, but it is close.

Some of their players are getting on a bit- Messi, Di Maria, Otamendi (Still going!!!). Wonder what their next World Cup squad will look like.

Some of their players are getting on a bit- Messi, Di Maria, Otamendi (Still going!!!). Wonder what their next World Cup squad will look like.
Definitely not as good as the last one.

Messi's definitely out and I suppose Di María too. These two have been the heartbeat of Argentina for years and I don't see any suitable replacement at the moment.

Last edited:
Garnacho should be a key player by the World Cup, given he continues to build

It's crazy how many times they went to penalties

Colombia, Holland, France, Ecuador almost in a row.

Definitely not as good as the last one.

Messi's definitely out and I suppose Di María too. These too have been the heartbeat of the Argentina for years and I don't see any suitable replacement at the moment.
You’d think Scaloni would time his departure with theirs (or just Messi’s)

Disagree. Spain strangled sides like Barcelona with addition of all the rest of Spanish talent. Unlike Barca they lacked prime Messi to provide the magic in final 3rd. They were still stacked like hell. Now we have Morata. They had David Villa and Torres. And Mata on the bench too.

Spain didn't played that great in 2010, they were gritty, solid, and fluent for moments but not precisly playing that nice or being that dominated, Villa BTW was outstanding to a level till today it's not properly recognized.
Euro 2012 was indeed really great and an overall way better tournament than the WC.

At the end of the day it's not that much about names when comes to team display specially in WCs, in fact even having names and great displays, you need that extra timing, luck or whatever to obtain the final result.
I've watched so many great teams with great displays having a bad final, or KO match or a good one with no results...KO competitions are quite a rough and emotional affair.

I do agree that Argentina blew away clear advantages in many games in this last WC, but overall the team played great football.

Recently I put a list in the Copa Thread of how many finals we faced in recent times, sometimes we take for granted such stuff and do not actually "enjoy" it in pursue of the final result, it's a bit silly:

Copa América 2004 Final
Olimpiadas 2004 Final
Copa América 2007 Final
Olimpiadas 2008 Final
Mundial 2014 Final
Copa América 2015 Final
Olimpiadas 2018 Final
Copa América 2016 Final
Copa América 2019 Semi final
Copa América 2021 Final
Mundial 2022 Final
Copa America 2024 Final

We have to apreciatte to be time and again fighting for sthg.

Recently I put a list in the Copa Thread of how many finals we faced in recent times, sometimes we take for granted such stuff and do not actually "enjoy" it in pursue of the final result, it's a bit silly:

Copa América 2004 Final
Olimpiadas 2004 Final
Copa América 2007 Final
Olimpiadas 2008 Final
Mundial 2014 Final
Copa América 2015 Final
Olimpiadas 2018 Final
Copa América 2016 Final
Copa América 2019 Semi final
Copa América 2021 Final
Mundial 2022 Final
Copa America 2024 Final

We have to apreciatte to be time and again fighting for sthg.
That run from 2014 to 2019 must have been horrendous to live through , however i doubt you mind it much now.

Ota it's already being replaced, you just don't replace a Messi (even if perhaps we are the ones to have more probabilities historically) and Di Maria it's a very difficult player to replace too, with all his faults, his traits, the fella is quite a phenom.

We are having lots of polivalent modern mids like Macca, Palacios, Enzo if he recovers himself (Zenon, Varela, etc are also on the rising, too many perhaps in that area/role)...but we will have to work in the classic dribblers that we always had, we'll see what happens with that.
We have a couple of CBs for the ages with Cuti and Lisandro, quality subs with Martinez Quarta and such and proper new fellas that time will tell like Anselmino and others.
I'll love to have a number 10, even if those are dead for the world, I love them. We'll see what happens with that but I do not see any proper fullbacks, not that it's our speciality, but would be nice some new fella to the very least in Sorin or Ibarra level, not neccesarily an all timer like Zanetti.

Last edited:
That run from 2014 to 2019 must have been horrendous to live through , however i doubt you mind it much now.

As a NT we are quite a lot like Barca in the sense that we tend to shoot at our own feet too many times, from a strict football sense to a political and administrative way.
That period felt that way. Disorganized as fvck, too many recurrent injuries in vital players, a knee jerk reaction when choosing the new manager, etc etc.
The Copas from such period were great overall, very good football with some not proper finals.

In fact even prior to 2014, the team was flying with Messi, Aguero and Dimaria on top form and they arrived to the WC with all of them wrapped in cotton wool, it's what it is, timing its everything in life, we just make it worse or deal better with it.

It's crazy how many times they went to penalties

Colombia, Holland, France, Ecuador almost in a row.

Mostly our fault, bar Ecuador that was a rough affair since minute one and in that final ball they could have win it.
The other ones we have mostly have us to blame, we just have to suffer it seems.

I've been a fan of Argentina since the mid-90s, and I believe this is by far their best team in terms of combativeness and self-confidence. This, combined with their individual quality, sets them apart from other generations and other national teams. Right now, Argentina seems like a team that never panics, no matter what happens. The players have confidence in each other, and it's amazing to see how, after a lost ball or a mistake, the other teammates immediately attack and try to correct it. If they win the Copa America again this year, it will truly mark a great streak

Was watching River Plate. Martin Demichelis's last game as their manager. Gallardo coming back apparently.

Mastantuono at 16 is an incredible player. Scored an amazing free kick in the last minutes to win the game. This kid is really special and I see a generational talent in him. He's too good for his age, the way he plays and understands the game. His phisicality is also something that sets him apart from other upcoming talents from Argentina.

I would love to watch what Gallardo can produce with Echeverri and Mastantuono in this squad.

That being said, the future is bright for Argentina. There's a lot of talent coming up. For 2026, I think these guys will scream for a place in the squad

- Valentin Barco: I think he's a baller. He's going to be amazing this season. Amazing at set pieces, always taking good decisions. Attacking wise he has all the conditions to be a great left back/internal. If he improves his defensive side and his phisicality, he will be a starter no doubt.
- Matias Soule: A natural name who has been very good in the Serie A this season, now arrived at Roma. As we need a Di Maria replacement this is a great chance for him (or Dybala)
- Ezequiel Fernandez: I love this guys game. He's a CDM who is also great going foward, uses both feet naturally. I don't get how is he going to Saudi foobtall, hope he doesn't. He's more talented than Alan Varela in my opinion.
- Agustin Giay: A good right back that's a regular name in Argentina u-20s teams. Hope he develops well since it's our weakest position by far in the current squad.

All in all, these are the youngsters that have a very high ceiling and we have to see how they develop (apart from the ones I mentoned which I think are in needed positions)

Offensive: Garnacho, Prestianni, Echeverri, Mastantuono, Ruberto, Buonanotte, Veliz, Ruberto, Subiabre, Almada, Paz, L. Romero, Gondou, Beltran, V. Carboni, S. Lopez, A. Velazco
Midfielders: Redondo, Sforza, Barrenechea, Alcaraz, Varela, Perrone, Saralegui
Defenders: Anselmino, Amione, Pellegrino, N. Perez, Aviles, Soler, F. Carboni. Di Cesare

-

Reactions: Cheimoon
Was watching River Plate. Martin Demichelis's last game as their manager. Gallardo coming back apparently.

Mastantuono at 16 is an incredible player. Scored an amazing free kick in the last minutes to win the game. This kid is really special and I see a generational talent in him. He's too good for his age, the way he plays and understands the game. His phisicality is also something that sets him apart from other upcoming talents from Argentina.

I would love to watch what Gallardo can produce with Echeverri and Mastantuono in this squad.

That being said, the future is bright for Argentina. There's a lot of talent coming up. For 2026, I think these guys will scream for a place in the squad

- Valentin Barco: I think he's a baller. He's going to be amazing this season. Amazing at set pieces, always taking good decisions. Attacking wise he has all the conditions to be a great left back/internal. If he improves his defensive side and his phisicality, he will be a starter no doubt.
- Matias Soule: A natural name who has been very good in the Serie A this season, now arrived at Roma. As we need a Di Maria replacement this is a great chance for him (or Dybala)
- Ezequiel Fernandez: I love this guys game. He's a CDM who is also great going foward, uses both feet naturally. I don't get how is he going to Saudi foobtall, hope he doesn't. He's more talented than Alan Varela in my opinion.
- Agustin Giay: A good right back that's a regular name in Argentina u-20s teams. Hope he develops well since it's our weakest position by far in the current squad.

All in all, these are the youngsters that have a very high ceiling and we have to see how they develop (apart from the ones I mentoned which I think are in needed positions)

Offensive: Garnacho, Prestianni, Echeverri, Mastantuono, Ruberto, Buonanotte, Veliz, Ruberto, Subiabre, Almada, Paz, L. Romero, Gondou, Beltran, V. Carboni, S. Lopez, A. Velazco
Midfielders: Redondo, Sforza, Barrenechea, Alcaraz, Varela, Perrone, Saralegui
Defenders: Anselmino, Amione, Pellegrino, N. Perez, Aviles, Soler, F. Carboni. Di Cesare

-

Agree with most of that

Whilst not the standout at a young age that Echeverri and Mastantuono are, I like Kevin Zenon from Boca too. And River have Ian Subiabre as well as the two other teens and hes talented as well. (<- Edit, somehow missed him on your list. My bad)

Theres Tobias Palacio who is playing as a CB at 17 for Argentinos Jrs. He's next level playing out from the back and will be Argentina's version of Leny Yoro

Last edited:
Agree with most of that

Whilst not the standout at a young age that Echeverri and Mastantuono are, I like Kevin Zenon from Boca too. And River have Ian Subiabre as well as the two other teens and hes talented as well. (<- Edit, somehow missed him on your list. My bad)

Theres Tobias Palacio who is playing as a CB at 17 for Argentinos Jrs. He's next level playing out from the back and will be Argentina's version of Leny Yoro

The likes of Subiabre, Esquivel and Parmo don't have enough minutes to count on them for the next WC. Zenon is a good player, but I don't see that much of a potential in him.

I'm waiting for Parmo to be promoted and start getting minutes, as I think he's up there with Mastantuono in terms of talent.

The case would be weak. Multiple teams have won consecutive Copa America titles in the 21st century: Chile in 2015-2016, Brazil in 2004-2007. It's not a particularly big deal.

The case would be weak. Multiple teams have won consecutive Copa America titles in the 21st century: Chile in 2015-2016, Brazil in 2004-2007. It's not a particularly big deal.
Non were simultaneous world champions to be fair , though Brazil did win it in 99 and 2004.

Brazil won 97,99 copas, 2002 wc and 2004 copa with the B team, while making 98 wc finals (also won 2007 copa)
Well they're usually considered among the greatest sides aren't they?

Although their 94 team was more solid.

Pretty good game agaisnt Chile.
They are in a bad place, but we were trully pro and more than tidy.

I'll like to see more of Dybala before he sadly injures himself again like always, let's enjoy some of his last years with a very generous and functional team.

It's time to start trying young off mids/forwards with dribbling and a dinamic style, we already are covered with lots of polivalent mids with good feet and great CBs and upcoming promises in those roles.

Fullbacks it's kind of an issue, even if Molina is young and Tagliafcio still there, we must find alternatives and with luck with a higher profile.

Upfront we have what we have, not the typical goalscorers, but as long as they have enough talent and offer themselves with great stamina at some point goals will come (thought they must be more clinical), specially if we hit a batch of young dribblers to support them.

Didn't like the approach from Scaloni against Colombia.
He should have tried Dybala and Macca from start, yet he tried to hard to be safe and backfired
And the forwards cannot miss so many chances.

Quite a party against Bolivia and really glad to see Nico Paz playing with such composure in the minutes they gave him, I really like this kid.

Real Madrid must have a buy back clause on Nico Paz, right?

What's his profile?

His an offenisve midfielder, but I trully see him like some kind of Redondo regarding his body, his ball control, his solidarity offering himself to everyone as an option of pass. I dunno if he has the killer edge of a Riquelme regarding assists or also that urge to score and capabilties to do so, I mean of doing "numbers".
I think I like him more in some sort of merge between Kross and Redondo. Yet time will tell, he'll not have a path into the Madrid's team with so many young established midfielders there, he will have to take advantage of being managed by Cesc and find a role and a better Club in the future

His an offenisve midfielder, but I trully see him like some kind of Redondo regarding his body, his ball control, his solidarity offering himself to everyone as an option of pass. I dunno if he has the killer edge of a Riquelme regarding assists or also that urge to score and capabilties to do so, I mean of doing "numbers".
I think I like him more in some sort of merge between Kross and Redondo. Yet time will tell, he'll not have a path into the Madrid's team with so many young established midfielders there, he will have to take advantage of being managed by Cesc and find a role and a better Club in the future
An early career Kroos type with more speed and dribbling ability IMO
Might be worth taking a look at then, could be what we need seeing how diabolical we are in controlling the tempo.