Music Apple Music

So a few years later, is it actually worth it?

I still download stuff and use iTunes to add them to my phone but I want to be able to listen to / discover more stuff without that admin.

I still download stuff and use iTunes to add them to my phone but I want to be able to listen to / discover more stuff without that admin.

If you’re using apple products then I’d say yes just due to the built in integration. I’d be spending way way more than 9.99 a month if I was buying it through iTunes still.

There's not much difference between any of the major streaming platforms, they all have the same catalogues just varying features & benefits as their USP.

I use Apple Music every day, but i've also grown to quite like Tidal too.

If you’re using apple products then I’d say yes just due to the built in integration. I’d be spending way way more than 9.99 a month if I was buying it through iTunes still.

There's not much difference between any of the major streaming platforms, they all have the same catalogues just varying features & benefits as their USP.

I use Apple Music every day, but i've also grown to quite like Tidal too.

Cheers guys. What subs do you have? Any negatives to be aware of?

I’ve been using Apple Music since it went live, and I’m very happy with it. It’s perfect if you already are in the Apple ecosystem.

I absolutely love it. I prefer their catalogue to Spotify‘s since it’s more up my alley. I discover new bands almost everyday and am loving their indie playlists hard.

Cheers guys. What subs do you have? Any negatives to be aware of?

Subs? Subscriptions?

Not sure if this fits your bill, but there are different 'curators' that you can subscribe to, who create playlists and have weekly radio shows on AM which is one of the reasons why I use it so frequently.
I find their playlists to be pretty good for the music i'm in to, so it works out great for me.

Negatives I would say the UI takes some getting used to, it's not as clean as it should be, plus I personally don't like the white background with large black & red text, they definitely should make a 'night mode' imo

I've subscribed to both Apple Music and Spotify and prefer the latter. I initially jumped ship when I found it a massive pain in the hoop to make/share playlists but generally found Spotify more intuitive. It just looks/feels nicer to use. Not a huge difference between them tbf, so personal opinion will come into it. You should definitely switch to streaming, whatever service you use. Buying CDs and ripping them to iTunes would feel horrendously restrictive once you get used to the freedom of streaming.

I switched to steaming a while ago now, not in small part due to @Pogue Mahone saying things like that above and he's totally right.

Downloading music to transfer on/off my phone feels like ancient behaviour now, and I've discovered loads of new music thanks to automated recommendations based on what I'm listening to or 'radio stations' inspired by particular tracks.

I'm using Google Play Music personally since all my stuff is Google based (Pixel phone, Google Home and minis dotted around the house etc) but I'm sure all the streaming platform options are more or less the same.

I switched to steaming a while ago now, not in small part due to @Pogue Mahone saying things like that above and he's totally right.

Downloading music to transfer on/off my phone feels like ancient behaviour now, and I've discovered loads of new music thanks to automated recommendations based on what I'm listening to or 'radio stations' inspired by particular tracks.

I'm using Google Play Music personally since all my stuff is Google based (Pixel phone, Google Home and minis dotted around the house etc) but I'm sure all the streaming platform options are more or less the same.

Good man!

One strange and unintended consequence of the jump to streaming is that I’ve kind of stopped having “favourite” band/musicians. When you buy/download an album there’s an investment which makes you give it a few listens and really form a firm opinion. Since I started using Spotify I seem to be constantly flitting from one artist to the next, without ever really comitting to any of them.

On the whole, it’s probably positive, because I’m listening to a far more diverse array of quality music than I ever did before but it is a fairly dramatic change in my listening habits and I do worry I’m missing out on stuff that takes a bit of time to grow on me (often the stuff I ended up liking most of all) Did you experience the same?

Good man!

One strange and unintended consequence of the jump to streaming is that I’ve kind of stopped having “favourite” band/musicians. When you buy/download an album there’s an investment which makes you give it a few listens and really form a firm opinion. Since I started using Spotify I seem to be constantly flitting from one artist to the next, without ever really comitting to any of them.

On the whole, it’s probably positive, because I’m listening to a far more diverse array of quality music than I ever did before but it is a fairly dramatic change in my listening habits and I do worry I’m missing out on stuff that takes a bit of time to grow on me (often the stuff I ended up liking most of all) Did you experience the same?

I definitely listen to a lot more variety than I used to. I've always been one to listen to complete albums rather than making playlists as I like to take in an album as a whole piece of work.

I still do that to a large degree, but I now also listen to either a mix of an artist's work or perhaps a genre or even let Google play whatever it thinks I'll like and just skip tracks I'm not keen on.

For example I'll go into the kitchen to cook tea and just say "ok Google play Wiz Khalifa" if I want to listen to a random selection of his stuff, or just "ok Google play some music" and let it play whatever.

Slight issue with the latter is the missus (is that one sexist, I forget?) uses the same account for music played via the Google Home so every now and then I'll have Little Mix follow on from Cardi B or something :lol:

I definitely listen to a lot more variety than I used to. I've always been one to listen to complete albums rather than making playlists as I like to take in an album as a whole piece of work.

I still do that to a large degree, but I now also listen to either a mix of an artist's work or perhaps a genre or even let Google play whatever it thinks I'll like and just skip tracks I'm not keen on.

For example I'll go into the kitchen to cook tea and just say "ok Google play Wiz Khalifa" if I want to listen to a random selection of his stuff, or just "ok Google play some music" and let it play whatever.

Slight issue with the latter is the missus (is that one sexist, I forget?) uses the same account for music played via the Google Home so every now and then I'll have Little Mix follow on from Cardi B or something :lol:

I can relate to that last bit. Only with a couple of young kids in the mix. Fired up Spotify the other day and it started playing this classic tune.

Moved to music streaming a few months ago. Apple music was doing 3 months for free so i decided to give it a go. Obviously, as tends to happen with these sorts of things, i became locked into it. I downloaded and added so much music to my library that when my trial ended i was locked out of those songs. So basically they got their claws into me and i continued with it.

I would highly recommend it though. It's a good deal for £9.99 a month and if you're an avid listener like me you save so much money in the long run. It's also a great way to discover new music instead of listening to the same stuff all the time. I've also used Spotify and i actually prefer the interface and look of that but i'm now locked into Apple Music due to the aforementioned free trial and it's fantastic. I don't think there's a great deal between them really.

I can relate to that last bit. Only with a couple of young kids in the mix. Fired up Spotify the other day and it started playing this classic tune.
Spotify Premier with the family plan covers this classic problem.. Kids get their account and leave yours alone.. I just love that about spotify that family plan is fecking Ace ..

Moved to music streaming a few months ago. Apple music was doing 3 months for free so i decided to give it a go. Obviously, as tends to happen with these sorts of things, i became locked into it. I downloaded and added so much music to my library that when my trial ended i was locked out of those songs. So basically they got their claws into me and i continued with it.

I would highly recommend it though. It's a good deal for £9.99 a month and if you're an avid listener like me you save so much money in the long run. It's also a great way to discover new music instead of listening to the same stuff all the time. I've also used Spotify and i actually prefer the interface and look of that but i'm now locked into Apple Music due to the aforementioned free trial and it's fantastic. I don't think there's a great deal between them really.

I'm kind of in the same situation i got it for free for 6 months with my phone plan then i signed up as a new user for another 3 months free which is about to end. I would like to try out Spotify as the Apple Music app is buggy on Android and i heard a lot of good things about Spotify, but all the downloaded music and playlists will be lost.

Does anyone know if this can be transferred over?

Spotify Premier with the family plan covers this classic problem.. Kids get their account and leave yours alone.. I just love that about spotify that family plan is fecking Ace ..

Google and Apple music do the same, but it's £15 per month instead of £10 - is it the same with Spotify?

Last edited:
I'm kind of in the same situation i got it for free for 6 months with my phone plan then i signed up as a new user for another 3 months free which is about to end. I would like to try out Spotify as the Apple Music app is buggy on Android and i heard a lot of good things about Spotify, but all the downloaded music and playlists will be lost.

Does anyone know if this can be transferred over?

Yeah not 100% sure on this one. There's an app on IOS called SongShift that purports to do this (haven't used it myself), but not sure if it's available on Android. I was looking into the same thing a while back when i was using Spotify.

Google and Apple music do the same, but it's £16 per month instead of £10 - is it the same with Spotify?
€14.99 for you and five xtra members.. Love it.. My son had an Spotify account and you can also include existing accounts to the plan. Plus I feel that Spotify has the best kit and app.. Still feel they are a bit further than the others.. That said they have had couple of years headstart ..

€14.99 for you and five xtra members.. Love it.. Plus I feel that Spotify has the best kit and app.. Still feel they are a bit further than the others.. That said they have had couple of years headstart ..

Yea the same price then. I thought about getting the family one but given it's only at home plus my phone it didn't seem worthwhile.

Yea the same price then. I thought about getting the family one but given it's only at home plus my phone it didn't seem worthwhile.
What do you mean? Every account is Premium and there is only a need to share an address .. Not only your phone..

What do you mean? Every account is Premium and there is only a need to share an address .. Not only your phone..

It's £9.99 for a normal account or £14.99 for a family account.

Family account enables 5 additional users who have their own playlists, history etc etc.

I use it on my phone and on the Google Home devices in the house, but because my other half uses them as well I sometimes end up with music recommended based on shit she's listened to. I don't think it's worth paying an extra £5 per month to solve that problem.

It's £9.99 for a normal account or £14.99 for a family account.

Family account enables 5 additional users who have their own playlists, history etc etc.

I use it on my phone and on the Google Home devices in the house, but because my other half uses them as well I sometimes end up with music recommended based on shit she's listened to. I don't think it's worth paying an extra £5 per month to solve that problem.
Yeah Ok... We are 4 using it at my house so I would clearly recommend it for that and I am ready for my youngest starting and will then use five .. But i get what you are saying with the two of you ..

Yeah Ok... We are 4 using it at my house so I would clearly recommend it for that and I am ready for my youngest starting and will then use five .. But i get what you are saying with the two of you ..

Oh yea for sure it's a brilliant deal if there's the need for it. If my other half wanted to have music on her phone too I'd definitely take up the family account option.

iOS14 has brought some good changes to Apple Music. Anybody use it over Spotify?

Yeah I tried Apple Music when it came out and stuck with it. It always irritated me that you couldn't import your own music to Spotify so I stuck with Apple Music for that reason. Im not a huge user these days, I download stuff I listen to a lot and stream it via Plex, but its always been good enough for me. Whats new in iOS 14?

iOS14 has brought some good changes to Apple Music. Anybody use it over Spotify?
I actually noticed today that when I plugged into the car and CarPlay booted up it picked the music I was listening to last time I was in the car which it never used to and was my biggest complaint with Apple Music.

I assume that’s an iOS14 improvement?

The only gripe I have with Apple Music is when an artist I listen to a lot releases new songs/album, I have to go searching for it. It occasionally appears in the weekly “New Music Mix” playlist but often I’ve got to find it myself rather than the app alerting me/being clever enough to add it to the library itself.